FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
kozy

Destruction reforging issues

So it looks like for the first time since I've started my lock, I can not seem to find good stat weights for reforging. I've tried to sim my own character to get the values through that, however, it tells me that crit is my highest valued stat. At first that made sense, it is destruction after all and as crits give embers, so I trusted this info and I went to reforge to it. Afterwards I decided to have a look around a bit at the top locks in WoL but most (if not all) of them are more or less going pure mastery. I'm not entirely sure if it's the difference in gear, as my own gear is not the best, and the mastery just scaled better with their ilvl, or on the other hand it might be something entirely else. So I decided to go have a look around on forums to see what other people say, but mostly I just find that they say the stat values are nearly equal, and there's barely any dps to be gained. So my question is simply why so many locks seem to be reforging so much into mastery?

If possible, I'd really appreciate getting some help with reforging and gemming my own items as I'm a bit clueless right now. So if anyone can give me some advice on what my stat weights are, I'd be forever grateful! :D Here's a link to my character: http://eu.battle.net.../Kozyx/advanced

I know the gems might be awful for destruction, that's mostly because I decided to stick with affliction till I could figure out properly how to gear for destruction. Posted Image

P.S. awesome job with your guides Zagam, you're a hero to some of us Posted Image

Edited by kozy

Hey Kozy,

Here's a quote from Zagam regarding stat weights for Destruction,

Stat weights are close for Destruction and don't really separate themselves. Crit = higher Chaos Bolt damage (minor), higher chance to crit with all spells, and higher Ember generation due to higher crit chance. Haste = faster Chaos Bolt casts, faster Incinerate casts, and faster mana regeneration. Mastery = higher damage overall, higher scaling of Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn.

Haste is unique in this tier in that it will help scale RPPM trinkets and the new legendary meta helm socket. Spec inclusive, with proper play, you should never have mana issues. If you find that you're going OOM, either tighten up your rotation or get more Haste. I'm performing just fine with 4k Haste rating and never having mana issues. However, when I acquire an RPPM trinket (I'm looking at you, Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance) and the legendary Meta gem, I'll likely switch from Crit = Mastery > Haste to Crit = Haste > Mastery. They're close enough, however, that you could do Mastery = Haste > Crit to keep Affliction as your off-spec, if you wanted.

Source

There's a little more about it in the next couple of posts below that one as well if you read further.

The tendency to lean towards mastery is probably due using sup/serv for a grimoire and also because of the buffs that incin, immo and conflag received, but it sounds like you can do whatever suits your playstyle best and still come out just fine.

As for gemming i believe the general rule of thumb is to gem int wherever you can to match a socket bonus as long as the socket bonus is worth it. Pure int on red sockets, int/hit or exp(go for cheapest) on blues and int/preferred secondary stat for yellows. SO you'll probably be replacing your pure mastery gems and that sensei's that you got on, but for experimentation's sake you're fine the way you are until you dive in with both feet.

Hopefully that'll hold you over until more confirmation comes along Posted Image

Edited by Cruzan

For single target and cleave, the supposed best setup is Crit = Haste >> Mastery with the Observer. Crit slightly outweighs haste until you reach higher gear levels, or so I'm told. The main focus here is on buffing your ember generating spells.

For heavy aoe (8+ targets) you want to run the old Mastery > Crit > Haste with Grimoire: Sacrifice. The focus in these fights shifts to your ember consumers, so mastery and sac really help to add some oomph to these spells.

For single target and cleave, the supposed best setup is Crit = Haste >> Mastery with the Observer. Crit slightly outweighs haste until you reach higher gear levels, or so I'm told. The main focus here is on buffing your ember generating spells.

For heavy aoe (8+ targets) you want to run the old Mastery > Crit > Haste with Grimoire: Sacrifice. The focus in these fights shifts to your ember consumers, so mastery and sac really help to add some oomph to these spells.

i agree with this i am sitting on roughly 5k crit and 5k haste and 3k mastery i was reluctant to go so far away from my 7k mastery but i am now glad i did pulling more dps due to very fast ember generation