FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Destruction Tips and Quirks

i like your destro guide zagam but please if you use the demo guide and replace the things for destro. read it again.. :s a lot of errors in the text..

i like your destro guide zagam but please if you use the demo guide and replace the things for destro. read it again.. :s a lot of errors in the text..

Yeah the problem with making a new guide is using the old format for continuity but finding all the similar words. Proofreading comes in steps for me. I've done a 2nd edit...I'm sure other errors are in there.

i think they changed soul leech. it's now a mini bubble, right?

Soul Leech is now an absorb...it's not mini at all. It builds as you deal damage, continues to stack up to some maximum HP (not sure on value) and is only used when you take damage. Take a look a look here at this log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gjqui4b6lwkzyvib/details/80/?s=1315&e=1790

Soul Leech was only a 9.8% overheal and absorbed 815k worth of damage. Pales in comparison to Sacrificial Pact, though. 2.5M damage absorbed via Sacrificial Pact...SO GOOD!

Hello, which pet should I use?

Demon Training glyph is an option?

Pet wise, use the Felhunter if you use Service or the Observer if you use Supremacy. Statistically speaking, you could use a Voidlord and see such a small variance you wouldn't notice it (less than 500 DPS). Just don't use a Fel Imp. He sucks, and will continue sucking, until they lower his Fel Energy cost on Fel Bolt to an appropriate level.

Glyph choices for Destruction are extremely relaxed. Soulstone for battle res, Conflag for instant slow, and Soul Leech are my personal favs. Getting healed via your Observer's special ability might be nice, but I don't see it being impactful...not that the Conflag glyph really is, either. There really aren't many choices to improve your DPS.

• Like 1

Pet wise, use the Felhunter if you use Service or the Observer if you use Supremacy. Statistically speaking, you could use a Voidlord and see such a small variance you wouldn't notice it (less than 500 DPS). Just don't use a Fel Imp. He sucks, and will continue sucking, until they lower his Fel Energy cost on Fel Bolt to an appropriate level.

Glyph choices for Destruction are extremely relaxed. Soulstone for battle res, Conflag for instant slow, and Soul Leech are my personal favs. Getting healed via your Observer's special ability might be nice, but I don't see it being impactful...not that the Conflag glyph really is, either. There really aren't many choices to improve your DPS.

Thanks!

Felhunter + Service > Observer?

Thanks!

Felhunter + Service > Observer?

That greater sign isn't really...accurate. They're all incredibly close. Service + Felhunter will give you good single target burst. Supremacy - Observer will make it so you have one less CD to manage with no real DPS loss.

So.... the reason you use Shadowburn over Chaos Bolt under 20% is that you have more time to cast ember generating abilities? I just feel like I get owned in the damage department if Shadowburn decides to not crit.

I'm talking in a strictly single-target boss mob scenario.

Also, in regards to Rain of Fire. Do you cast multiple versions of them over the same mobs or does it not stack how I think it stacks?

So.... the reason you use Shadowburn over Chaos Bolt under 20% is that you have more time to cast ember generating abilities? I just feel like I get owned in the damage department if Shadowburn decides to not crit.

It does suck when it doesn't crit, but you're also casting it far more often. Keep in mind that it also restores mana to aid in your incinerate spam (which would account for the regen during the cast time of your chaos bolts). Execution phase is very fast paced and bursty compared to the slow build up and drastic explosion of the other 80%. I find my dps increases in those last moments, depending on the fight.

P.S. - Thank you for posting the destro guide, Zagam! Despite the fact that I'm already playing like this, it's nice to see some destro love. MoP Affliction is actually fun, now, but destro will always be my favorite.

Edited by SeraphSix

I tried destro tonight and after some tweaks I ended up being top dps and overall damage on the first boss of ToT. It was fun, but it felt weird since I'm used to demo and all the micro-management. Also, I did some pet tests and the shivarra was coming out a few hundred dps higher than the observer, which struck me as odd because everything I've read says floating tentacle monster is the highest dps pet for destro. Is the difference so small between the two that it just comes down to personal preference?

Thanks for the guide, it's really helping me in my transition from Affliction. I have two questions:

1. Assuming the interrupt isn't needed what's the best way to use Observer's Optical Blast? Since it doesn't trigger a global CD should I macro it to another ability like Conflagrate or assign it to it's own binding?

2. Regarding stat weights, wouldn't it be beneficial to reforge into crit since it would generate more embers or is the "default" crit high enough that it's generating enough shards? If it's not worth it to reforge into crit is there a number one shouldn't fall below when reforging lest we gimp our ember generation?

Edit: Found a typo, it's Unbound Will not Unbinding Will. Regarding this talent, is the cost (20% health) completely irrelevant as long as you use it smartly?

Edited by FellintoOblivion

I'm talking in a strictly single-target boss mob scenario.

Also, in regards to Rain of Fire. Do you cast multiple versions of them over the same mobs or does it not stack how I think it stacks?

You use Shadowburn because it has a higher DPET (Damage Per Execute Time) which coorelates to higher DPS. Also, remember that if you have ANYTHING to cleave in execute phase, you can Havoc THREE Shadowburns instead of one Chaos Bolt. You can spike over 1M DPS with Dark Soul live during this monster (achieved during Heroic Stone Guard, Heroic Will of the Emperors, etc.)

With Rain of Fire, if the area effect of one Rain of Fire overlaps another, only one damage stream will hurt it. For example, let's say you form a figure 8 with Rain of Fire with just part of them overlapping, kinda like a Venn diagram. If your target is in both target reticles of your Rain of Fire, it will only take damage from one. I typically don't put Rain of Fire up unless I'm moving and can't afford the slow from KJC. I don't make it a staple part of my rotation because of the darn clunky targetting reticle. If it was just on a target like Hand of Guldan, then we'd be talking. For now, I just choose to hold off unless I can hit 2+ targets.

It does suck when it doesn't crit, but you're also casting it far more often. Keep in mind that it also restores mana to aid in your incinerate spam (which would account for the regen during the cast time of your chaos bolts). Execution phase is very fast paced and bursty compared to the slow build up and drastic explosion of the other 80%. I find my dps increases in those last moments, depending on the fight.

P.S. - Thank you for posting the destro guide, Zagam! Despite the fact that I'm already playing like this, it's nice to see some destro love. MoP Affliction is actually fun, now, but destro will always be my favorite.

Personally, I think all the Warlock specs rock. They're all fun, but like anything, if you do it enough, it turns out to feel less exciting. Personally, I'm married to Demonology...I always find myself floating back to it, but I do like to have brief encounters with Destruction. Demonology felt our relationship pushed to the limits with my tier long affair, but it welcomed me back briefly in T15 before I decided to try Destruction again. Demonology will always be waiting for me in the end. Glad to hear my guides are beneficial...that's the only reason I write them!

I tried destro tonight and after some tweaks I ended up being top dps and overall damage on the first boss of ToT. It was fun, but it felt weird since I'm used to demo and all the micro-management. Also, I did some pet tests and the shivarra was coming out a few hundred dps higher than the observer, which struck me as odd because everything I've read says floating tentacle monster is the highest dps pet for destro. Is the difference so small between the two that it just comes down to personal preference?

Being "top DPS" is very objective...you could be playing with some bads and just out-performing them or you could be super awesome beating peers of equal calibur. Fortunately, on Jin'rokh, there are no gimmicks to employ other than careful manipulation of fight mechanics...fancy way of saying 'pop all your CDs while standing in a puddle.' Destruction is by far easier...I believe I had 7 damage sources when I ranked #3 Destro on Durumu...it's such an easy spec to play. As for your pets, it's really difficult to compare one pet to another after a single test, or even 10 live tests. This is where Simcraft shines, when you want to compare relatively small things with thousands of iterations. Hell, I had a Voidlord out DPS my Observer on one test, but that's because they're actually designed extremely well for you to change them based on situation except for the Fel Imp...for some reason, they refuse to make him viable (Blizz, seriously, lower Fel Bolt from 40 energy to 30, or even 35). If you're into that Shivarra though, have fun with her. I find her sounds more annoying than the Observer noises, but since I stand 40 yards away, I enjoy tormenting the Rogues, DKs, and Retadins with the awful pet sounds! ;)

Thanks for the guide, it's really helping me in my transition from Affliction. I have two questions:

1. Assuming the interrupt isn't needed what's the best way to use Observer's Optical Blast? Since it doesn't trigger a global CD should I macro it to another ability like Conflagrate or assign it to it's own binding?

2. Regarding stat weights, wouldn't it be beneficial to reforge into crit since it would generate more embers or is the "default" crit high enough that it's generating enough shards? If it's not worth it to reforge into crit is there a number one shouldn't fall below when reforging lest we gimp our ember generation?

Edit: Found a typo, it's Unbound Will not Unbinding Will. Regarding this talent, is the cost (20% health) completely irrelevant as long as you use it smartly?

Thanks for the typo catch...I write these guys under duress and end up proof reading many times later and catching mistakes...any other help in finding these to ensure the integrity of these guides is greatly appreciated!

1) You should NOT be using Optical Blast unless you intend on interrupting something. It has a 20 energy cost and this will lower it's ability to use its special ability which has a higher DPET than Optical Blast.

2) Stat weights are close for Destruction and don't really separate themselves. Crit = higher Chaos Bolt damage (minor), higher chance to crit with all spells, and higher Ember generation due to higher crit chance. Haste = faster Chaos Bolt casts, faster Incinerate casts, and faster mana regeneration. Mastery = higher damage overall, higher scaling of Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn.

Haste is unique in this tier in that it will help scale RPPM trinkets and the new legendary meta helm socket. Spec inclusive, with proper play, you should never have mana issues. If you find that you're going OOM, either tighten up your rotation or get more Haste. I'm performing just fine with 4k Haste rating and never having mana issues. However, when I acquire an RPPM trinket (I'm looking at you, Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance) and the legendary Meta gem, I'll likely switch from Crit = Mastery > Haste to Crit = Haste > Mastery. They're close enough, however, that you could do Mastery = Haste > Crit to keep Affliction as your off-spec, if you wanted.

Thanks for the typo catch...I write these guys under duress and end up proof reading many times later and catching mistakes...any other help in finding these to ensure the integrity of these guides is greatly appreciated!

1) You should NOT be using Optical Blast unless you intend on interrupting something. It has a 20 energy cost and this will lower it's ability to use its special ability which has a higher DPET than Optical Blast.

2) Stat weights are close for Destruction and don't really separate themselves. Crit = higher Chaos Bolt damage (minor), higher chance to crit with all spells, and higher Ember generation due to higher crit chance. Haste = faster Chaos Bolt casts, faster Incinerate casts, and faster mana regeneration. Mastery = higher damage overall, higher scaling of Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn.

Haste is unique in this tier in that it will help scale RPPM trinkets and the new legendary meta helm socket. Spec inclusive, with proper play, you should never have mana issues. If you find that you're going OOM, either tighten up your rotation or get more Haste. I'm performing just fine with 4k Haste rating and never having mana issues. However, when I acquire an RPPM trinket (I'm looking at you, Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance) and the legendary Meta gem, I'll likely switch from Crit = Mastery > Haste to Crit = Haste > Mastery. They're close enough, however, that you could do Mastery = Haste > Crit to keep Affliction as your off-spec, if you wanted.

1. Ah ok that "free" damage and no GCD was appealing!

2. OK that makes sense, is there a floor for crit though? It's terrible for Affliction so I reforged out of it for mastery and have just under 3K, is that enough for Destruction?

Meh, you'll see smaller Chaos Bolts and slower Ember generation, but you'll be firing off bigger and faster Conflagrates and Incinerates. Should come close to the other effect.

Meh, you'll see smaller Chaos Bolts and slower Ember generation, but you'll be firing off bigger and faster Conflagrates and Incinerates. Should come close to the other effect.

Thanks for the info regarding Shadowburn and Rain of Fire. I was definitely wasting GCD's on Rain of Fire, haha.

Question about Shadowburn; During either execute or with Havoc is there a benefit in terms of the mana regen to casting Shadowburn every 5 seconds rather than say 3 in a row on GCD? I've always dropped in Shadowburn as fast as possible and have never had much of an issue with mana anyway but just wondered about whether the mana return stacks for general info.

Mana is never going to be an issue for you in execute phase. I time my Shadowburns for Dark Soul being up or any trinket proc. I tend to hold off on using it until I have some proc go live or if the boss is sub 1%. I try not to end the fight with any Embers...but you won't see any mana issues as long as you continue to use Conflagrate during execute phase.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have a question about how to do mass dmg with destro?

I am able to do 108+k dmg for example to "Jinrok the Breaker" but when time comes to do mass dmg i only do about 50k. So my question would be how to do mass dmg, the basic rotation.

I always try to use the rules what Zagam wrote:

1) Apply Rain of Fire

2) Apply Fire and Brimstone:Immolate

3) Apply Fire and Brimstone:Conflagrate[

4) Use Fire and Brimstone:Incinerate

but this does not help me..

Edited by Mode

Posted Image

Jinrok is a single target fight. You'll never need to use Fire and Brimstone. FnB is your AoE ability and if you're using it on single targets you're wasting embers! Stahp!

I haven't tried destro for Jin'rok, but my first suggestion would be to line up your CDs/Ember burners with periods of time where you are standing in pools of water.

Posted Image

Jinrok is a single target fight. You'll never need to use Fire and Brimstone. FnB is your AoE ability and if you're using it on single targets you're wasting embers! Stahp!

I haven't tried destro for Jin'rok, but my first suggestion would be to line up your CDs/Ember burners with periods of time where you are standing in pools of water.

mm... you did not understand me....

The real question would be how to deal with trash in Horridon encounter? This referes to my question how to keep up building my mass dmg with destro in any encounter where trash should be killed first and comes in mass.

Ah ya misinterpreted mass damage as, "How do I do more dps on Jin'rok"

Beside those 4 things listed, do what he says here:

Spam FnB:Incinerate on everything until Immolate wears off and replenish that. Keep Rain of Fire running at all times and use FnB Conflag for high burst and Backdraft charges. When mobs hit 20%, use Shadowburn on them with a secondary target Havoc'd if possible.

Keep in mind that FnB only has a 10 yard radius now (which is still decently large), so if adds are running wild and aren't grouped up closely you might not be getting the most benefit out of your FnB casts.

A quote from his Horridon tips post here: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1594-t15-normal-mode-warlock-style/#entry16887

(DESTRO) - Use Fire and Brimstone to AoE the adds while keeping Rain of Fire up 100%

(DESTRO) - Use Havoc on Horridon and Shadowburn low health adds

(DESTRO) - Use Havoc on Horridon when 2nd boss comes down

Sorry if I'm just parroting (repeating) what he has already said, but if the basics that he's laid out still dont help then maybe he can chime in with more specifics for ya.

Best of Luck!

Edited by Cruzan