FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
cpclima

What is Reliable Damage and Predictable Damage?

Hi guys,

I'm learning to play WoW. I was reading the Frost Mage DPS Guide and I didn't understand the meaning of the following sentence:

"The Frost specialization has always excelled at limiting enemy movement while dealing reliable and predictable damage output."

What's reliable and predictable damage? 

Thanks!

Damage that is not effected by RNG in a large manner, so the delta between top and bottom is much smaller than a spec that relies on procs and RNG - such as fire. Fire often has had a 10-30% DPS swing based on RNG from pull-to-pull. That swing is much lower in legion than it has been in the past, but it still has a fairly large delta.

Frost on the other had is very smooth, very reliable from pull-to-pull.

It's more or less just knowing what means what and how things work.  Knowing that a class/spec relies on RNG for procs and such means that there will inherently be a higher amount of variance than one that doesn't, simply because there are more outcomes that can occur after a given time frame for the spec that relies more on RNG.