Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Starym

wow 7.1 Developer Video Interview

19 posts in this topic

AaMCca4.jpg

Karazhan attunement, new Nightborne mount, Artifact appearances, possible old world scaling and more.

 

TradeChat had a little...well, chat, with Luis Barriga, Cory Stockton, and Eric Maloof at PAX West, talking about all the new goodies in patch 7.1. From details on the mobile app that's coming out tomorrow to how Karazhan is an alternative item progression line to raids, will require attunement and how we'll still get to visit old Kara through a separate entrance. Other topics included a new mount that's coming with the new Suramar 9 week quest campaign and how people expect the artifact looks to replace the usual system of weapon drops as transmogs, so they'll probably have to add more of those as well.

The most interesting part, however, was unfortunately purely theoretical, as they went into how they're looking into level scaling for other content as well, including timewalking, the old world and, most excitingly of all, old raids!

 

503492-reins-of-the-long-forgotten-hippo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man bring on the old raids!  I loved all of the vanillia content and it is kinda sad when I can solo it.  So many of the new players missed out on so much good content from the old days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darkjester79 said:

Oh man bring on the old raids!  I loved all of the vanillia content and it is kinda sad when I can solo it.  So many of the new players missed out on so much good content from the old days.

Someone actually made a good point to me about this today - there's no way they'll do it since if the old raids were always max lvl and raidable, they wouldn't be able to reuse them all the time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Starym said:

Someone actually made a good point to me about this today - there's no way they'll do it since if the old raids were always max lvl and raidable, they wouldn't be able to reuse them all the time!

savage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh.... OH.........OH NO........oh........they said it........... they said

ATTUNEMENT

puking!.jpg&width=600&constrain=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

oh.... OH.........OH NO........oh........they said it........... they said

ATTUNEMENT

puking!.jpg&width=600&constrain=true

WILL THERE BE A COOL TITLE? BECAUSE IF SO, I'M DOWN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blainie said:

WILL THERE BE A COOL TITLE? BECAUSE IF SO, I'M DOWN.

I mean honestly it's fine if they only do it once, but vanilla attunement sucked. It's truly something the player base claimed they liked, but reality shows they didn't. Wildstar was nothing but attunement and players hated it (actually wildstar brought back all vanilla wow stuff and everyone hated it all XD, funny).

So, I like alternate gearing routes and the idea of 5 man raids. Frankly mythics aren't all that challenging once you really get to them. People hard gear to just burn through things so bringing back cata heroic dungeon lvl material is alright to me :D I liked challenging content to be challenging, to actually have to follow mechanics. I thinking gating kara with attunement will guarantee that the groups going there are actually serious about doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, demonardvark said:

 I liked challenging content to be challenging, to actually have to follow mechanics. I thinking gating kara with attunement will guarantee that the groups going there are actually serious about doing it. 

First - totally agree on the challenge.  I hate steamrolling through content.  At some point it seems like you would want to so that it makes sense to level up, and to get the old mounts/gear/etc. 

...but I would love to do ICC 'at level' as it were.  Black Temple or old Kara again?  Sure!  Why not have the option?  They clearly have the technology to make it happen.  Timewalking is a good start, but even those are... pretty easy.  Very few mechanics are fatal. 

Secondly - i hated attunemnet but it definitely does make you work for it, if you want to do it. 
I had a guildie complaining about why he had to actually play the game to Fly.  We all do, if we want to fly.  I told him there are FPs all over, same with Draenor. 

He didnt like my suggestion that he actually play the game before getting all the perks that those who DID...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatrickHenry said:

First - totally agree on the challenge.  I hate steamrolling through content.  At some point it seems like you would want to so that it makes sense to level up, and to get the old mounts/gear/etc. 

...but I would love to do ICC 'at level' as it were.  Black Temple or old Kara again?  Sure!  Why not have the option?  They clearly have the technology to make it happen.  Timewalking is a good start, but even those are... pretty easy.  Very few mechanics are fatal. 

Secondly - i hated attunemnet but it definitely does make you work for it, if you want to do it. 
I had a guildie complaining about why he had to actually play the game to Fly.  We all do, if we want to fly.  I told him there are FPs all over, same with Draenor. 

He didnt like my suggestion that he actually play the game before getting all the perks that those who DID...

well even now specifically they give you the whistle at 110 that auto takes you to the nearest flight point, soooo not a huge need for flying. but i agree, i didn't mind it in wod because there were flight points everywhere. even then I refused to pay for higher riding skill so even when i unlocked flying the flight points were faster for me.

i also agree with more advanced time walking.  would like more appropriately scaled time walking to play raids as they were. A big example was SoO. SoO is the pinnacle of raiding to me and I loved it. I'd clear lfr norm and heroic on every toon every week just because I thought it was so fun. Come WoD we are steam rolling mythic with no mechanics, the joy, the fun, the challenge was all gone. So, it would be fun to try out Black Temple as it was originally intended or Vanilla Nax again (minus 8 tank 4 horsemen fights). 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, demonardvark said:

well even now specifically they give you the whistle at 110 that auto takes you to the nearest flight point, soooo not a huge need for flying. but i agree, i didn't mind it in wod because there were flight points everywhere. even then I refused to pay for higher riding skill so even when i unlocked flying the flight points were faster for me.

i also agree with more advanced time walking.  would like more appropriately scaled time walking to play raids as they were. A big example was SoO. SoO is the pinnacle of raiding to me and I loved it. I'd clear lfr norm and heroic on every toon every week just because I thought it was so fun. Come WoD we are steam rolling mythic with no mechanics, the joy, the fun, the challenge was all gone. So, it would be fun to try out Black Temple as it was originally intended or Vanilla Nax again (minus 8 tank 4 horsemen fights). 

Thing is, classes and the gameplay have changed so much that they could never recreate those raids again. They'd need to change certain things or we'd either steamroll them or be unable to clear them. People would be pissed that their X favourite boss was changed and the nostalgia effect of everyone saying X was the hardest boss ever would disappear. 

In Blizzard's eyes, it's better to leave something like Naxx40 in the past as a "pinnacle" of raiding difficulty. Something that people can talk about and blow out of proportion as much as possible, with things like ridiculous gear requirements and such being completely forgotten. 

If we were to see LK HC as it was, will they put it on 0% nerf and let us wipe on it until we give up? Will we be gated to 50 attempts per week, as it was in WOTLK? There was a lot more that you simply can't mimic in the present day. If you implemented this fight, people just would try it, give up and wait until Blizzard change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blainie said:

Thing is, classes and the gameplay have changed so much that they could never recreate those raids again. They'd need to change certain things or we'd either steamroll them or be unable to clear them. People would be pissed that their X favourite boss was changed and the nostalgia effect of everyone saying X was the hardest boss ever would disappear.

Can we at least agree that all of the old DUNGEONS should be playable at max level?  Flex dungeons, as it were?  Or 'timewalker' them, perhaps?

Edited by PatrickHenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

Can we at least agree that all of the old DUNGEONS should be playable at max level?  Flex dungeons, as it were?  Or 'timewalker' them, perhaps?

I think dungeons would be a nice idea, yeah. There are some I definitely don't want to return to (looking at you Wailing Caverns), but the majority are really cool. They are also much easier to implement with the same feel that they used to have. I think the raids should be limited to events, rather than having lots available. Something where Blizzard can actively choose which raid and then have enough time to prepare, like they did with MC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

Hey!  I didn't mind WC so much... 

Nobody in my group ever understood how to do the bloody thing, so it meant typing instructions EVERY time. It took its toll on me :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Nobody in my group ever understood how to do the bloody thing, so it meant typing instructions EVERY time. It took its toll on me :(

HAHAHAHA, oOoooooooOOoohhh, that part I can totally agree on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

HAHAHAHA, oOoooooooOOoohhh, that part I can totally agree on

"Guys, we need to go and do this boss first.." HUH WHAT WHERE LETS GO THIS WAY INSTEAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did streamline BFD, though!  Just having the bosses listed in order on the 'bonus objective' quest list made a world of difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

They did streamline BFD, though!  Just having the bosses listed in order on the 'bonus objective' quest list made a world of difference.

Very true. Perhaps reworks could make those old, hated dungeons become something beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Stan
      Gul'dan also drops vanity items that aren't visible under the Nighthold loot tables in the journal. Players on reddit have been reporting two toy drops off Gul'dan. Both were obtained on Normal or higher difficulty, so it's safe to assume that they won't drop in LFR.
      Skull of Corruption Is only lootable by Demon Hunters, but it can be traded to anyone else after, even sold in the Auction House. It makes your character kneel with a skull in his/her hand. Memory Cube is rewarded upon completing a quest line which starts by killing Chronomatic Anomaly that drops Mysterious Cube. When interacted with, players will "relive" various Legion cinematics. Golden Hearthstone Card: Lord Jaraxxus Turns the player into Lord Jaraxxus for one minute and replaces actionbars with emotes he does during the encounter.
      Image courtesy of redditor Mitsiee
      There's one more toy unique to Demon Hunters - Fel Focusing Crystal. It hasn't dropped yet. It's also BoE.
      Placeholder for tweet 82188427143444480
    • By Starym
      As you maybe have already noticed, Mythic+ rewards have been increased with the latest reset and Nighthold's introduction, but there's more coming next week when mythic opens (and your M+ chests you earn this week will have that level of reward as well). So while the base ilevel in M+12 now is 870 (885 for your weekly chest) and that's the most you can get now, next week if you finish a M+15 you'll be able to get an 885 (900 in weekly chest).
      Ornyx (source)
      With the opening of the Nighthold on Normal and Heroic difficulties, the maximum item level for Warforged or Titanforged items is now 925. Any item that could previously drop at or above item level 895 can now reach a maximum of 925.
      Next week, when Mythic Nighthold releases, we’ll be increasing the cap on Mythic Keystone dungeon rewards from 12 to 15 (at 5 item levels per difficulty level). If you’re able to complete a Level 15 Keystone run this week, you’ll have a Mythic 15 reward waiting for you in your Order Hall cache next week.
    • By Stan
      Touch of a Titan is a new quest offered by Arcanomancer Vridiel in Dalaran that rewards Distilled Titan Essence when you collect 50 Essence of Aman'Thul. The quest is here to upgrade existing Legendary items from 910 to item level 940.
      All Legendaries that drop now are of item level 940 by default. Existing Legendaries can be upgraded by completing the quest. The quest is repeatable. You can't hold more than 50 Essence of Aman'Thul at a time, so turn in the quest as soon as you can. You don't need to accept the quest for Essences to drop. The weekly cache gives 15 Essence of Aman'Thul. Each Nighthold boss drops 1 - 3 Essence of Aman'Thul. Winning 10 2v2 arenas awards 5 Essence of Aman'Thul. Winning 10 3v3 arenas awards 5 Essence of Aman'Thul. If you win Rated Battlegrounds 3 times, you can get 5 Essence of Aman'Thul. Emissary caches from world quests give 1 - 4 Essence of Aman'Thul each. According to redditor Not_athrowaweigh, you can farm up to 120 Essence of Aman'Thul before Mythic Nighthold opens next week, allowing the upgrade of two Legendary items.
      (Source)
    • By Stan
      During the Wrath of the Lich King Timewalking event, Auzin sells various items of interest. Timewalking gear item level has been increased to 830 with Patch 7.1.5. With the Artifact catch-up, Timewalking is a great way to gear your character if you want to skip standard dungeons. This guide covers mostly items of interest that you can get via reputation tokens from Wrath factions.
      Weekly Timewalking Quest
      Pick the quest A Burning Path Through Time from Archmage Timear or from within the Adventure Journal. Completing five Timewalking dungeons rewards Accolade of Victory Cache of Nightborne Treasures Awards Nighthold Normal difficulty gear of item level 875. 1 Seal of Broken Fate During Wrath Timewalking, you can get items like Reins of the Blue Proto-Drake. Reins of the Infinite Timereaver is personal loot and the mount has a chance to drop off of any boss in Timewalking dungeons. Auzin Items
      The Wrath Timewalking vendor is Auzin. You can find all the items he sells here. Among the most notable are
      Items that upgrade heirlooms Ancient Heirloom Armor Casing Ancient Heirloom Scabbard Timeworn Heirloom Armor Casing Timeworn Heirloom Scabbard Mounts & Vanity Items Bridle of the Ironbound Wraithcharger, Grizzlesnout's Fang, Will of Northrend and Hourglass of Eternity. Reputation Tokens Commendation of the Alliance Vanguard Commendation of the Argent Crusade Commendation of the Ebon Blade Commendation of the Horde Expedition Commendation of the Kirin Tor Commendation of the Sons of Hodir Commendation of the Wyrmrest Accord Items of Interest
      Wrath faction quartermasters offer a wide variety of items you can buy, such as mounts or gear for transmog. I've highlighted the most interesting below.
      Alliance Vanguard
      Is comprised of several factions and only The Silver Covenant has a quartermaster named Hiren Loresong. He is located in Icecrown and sells vanity items, but you also need to collect plenty of Champion's Seals to get them.
      Reaching Exalted awards the The Winds of the North achievement.
      Gnomish Magician's Quill Hammer of the Alliance Vanguard Plans: Titanium Plating Sawed-Off Hand Cannon Schematic: Mekgineer's Chopper Vanguard Soldier's Dagger Argent Crusade
      Reaching Exalted awards the The Argent Crusade achievement that's required for The Argent Champion. Don't forget to buy Tabard of the Argent Crusade at Friendly.
      Boots of the Neverending Path Helm of Purified Thoughts Polished Regimental Hauberk Knights of the Ebon Blade
      Reaching Exalted awards the Knights of the Ebon Blade achievement. Don't forget to buy Tabard of the Ebon Blade at Friendly.
      Belt of Dark Mending Darkheart Chestguard Death-Inured Sabatons Reaper of Dark Souls Runeblade of Demonstrable Power Unholy Persuader Horde Expedition
      Is comprised of several factions and only The Sunreavers have a quartermaster named Vasarin Redmorn, but you need to collect enough Champion's Seals to get the items. Reaching Exalted awards the The Winds of the North achievement.
      Charged Wand of the Cleft Schematic: Mechano-Hog Sin'dorei Recurve Bow Warsong Punisher Warsong Shanker Kirin Tor
      Reaching Exalted awards the The Kirin Tor achievement. Don't forget to buy Tabard of the Kirin Tor at Friendly.
      Boots of Twinkling Stars Flameheart Spell Scalpel Lightblade Rivener Mind-Expanding Leggings Robes of Crackling Flame Spaulders of Grounded Lightning Stave of Shrouded Mysteries The Sons of Hodir
      Stalactite Chopper You can buy two mammoth mounts from Lillehoff in the Storm Peaks. Buying them awards the Ice Mammoth or the Grand Ice Mammoth achievement. The grand ice mammoth is a three-seater mount.
      Alliance
      Reins of the Ice Mammoth Reins of the Grand Ice Mammoth Horde
      Reins of the Ice Mammoth Reins of the Grand Ice Mammoth The Wyrmrest Accord
      Reaching Exalted awards the The Wyrmrest Accord achievement. Don't forget to buy Tabard of the Wyrmrest Accord at Friendly.
      Fang of Truth Gavel of the Brewing Storm Reins of the Red Drake Cielstrasza is the quartermaster and she's located in Wyrmrest Temple. If you're here, I recommend you to go down Sartharion + 3D for another free mount and title if you haven't done it already. He drops Reins of the Black Drake on 10-player mode and Reins of the Twilight Drake on 25-player mode.
    • By Sappora
      Methodical is in search of dedicated players that are looking to push content in a semi-hardcore environment. All of our raiders try to be on a first-name basis with each other. Our raids are very fun when it comes to farm and carries, however, we do clean up when it's time for progression. When it comes to raiding we do provide benefits, paid for by selling carries. 
      All-in-all we are looking for players willing to: consistently improve their performance, take responsibility, and synergize with a group of players. If this interests you, all of our info is below.
      Information:
      Guild: Methodical
      Creation: 2013
      Server: Bleeding Hollow
      Faction: Horde
      VoIP: Discord
      Raids:
      Raid Progression: 7/7 M EN, 3/3 H ToV, 3/10 H NH
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)
      Benefits:
      Spirit Cauldrons
      Potion Program
      Extensive Raid Repairs
      Recruitment:
      The below are just current needs, we are accepting all exceptional players.
      druid (balance) high hunter medium mage medium monk (healer) medium priest (dd) high rogue medium shaman (restoration) high warlock high If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and our raids. 
      Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)