FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

7.1 Developer Video Interview

AaMCca4.jpg

Karazhan attunement, new Nightborne mount, Artifact appearances, possible old world scaling and more.

TradeChat had a little...well, chat, with Luis Barriga, Cory Stockton, and Eric Maloof at PAX West, talking about all the new goodies in patch 7.1. From details on the mobile app that's coming out tomorrow to how Karazhan is an alternative item progression line to raids, will require attunement and how we'll still get to visit old Kara through a separate entrance. Other topics included a new mount that's coming with the new Suramar 9 week quest campaign and how people expect the artifact looks to replace the usual system of weapon drops as transmogs, so they'll probably have to add more of those as well.

The most interesting part, however, was unfortunately purely theoretical, as they went into how they're looking into level scaling for other content as well, including timewalking, the old world and, most excitingly of all, old raids!

503492-reins-of-the-long-forgotten-hippo

Oh man bring on the old raids!  I loved all of the vanillia content and it is kinda sad when I can solo it.  So many of the new players missed out on so much good content from the old days.

2 hours ago, Darkjester79 said:

Oh man bring on the old raids!  I loved all of the vanillia content and it is kinda sad when I can solo it.  So many of the new players missed out on so much good content from the old days.

Someone actually made a good point to me about this today - there's no way they'll do it since if the old raids were always max lvl and raidable, they wouldn't be able to reuse them all the time!

4 hours ago, Starym said:

Someone actually made a good point to me about this today - there's no way they'll do it since if the old raids were always max lvl and raidable, they wouldn't be able to reuse them all the time!

savage.

2 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

oh.... OH.........OH NO........oh........they said it........... they said

ATTUNEMENT

puking!.jpg&width=600&constrain=true

WILL THERE BE A COOL TITLE? BECAUSE IF SO, I'M DOWN.

Just now, Blainie said:

WILL THERE BE A COOL TITLE? BECAUSE IF SO, I'M DOWN.

I mean honestly it's fine if they only do it once, but vanilla attunement sucked. It's truly something the player base claimed they liked, but reality shows they didn't. Wildstar was nothing but attunement and players hated it (actually wildstar brought back all vanilla wow stuff and everyone hated it all XD, funny).

So, I like alternate gearing routes and the idea of 5 man raids. Frankly mythics aren't all that challenging once you really get to them. People hard gear to just burn through things so bringing back cata heroic dungeon lvl material is alright to me :D I liked challenging content to be challenging, to actually have to follow mechanics. I thinking gating kara with attunement will guarantee that the groups going there are actually serious about doing it. 

5 hours ago, demonardvark said:

I liked challenging content to be challenging, to actually have to follow mechanics. I thinking gating kara with attunement will guarantee that the groups going there are actually serious about doing it. 

First - totally agree on the challenge.  I hate steamrolling through content.  At some point it seems like you would want to so that it makes sense to level up, and to get the old mounts/gear/etc. 

...but I would love to do ICC 'at level' as it were.  Black Temple or old Kara again?  Sure!  Why not have the option?  They clearly have the technology to make it happen.  Timewalking is a good start, but even those are... pretty easy.  Very few mechanics are fatal. 

Secondly - i hated attunemnet but it definitely does make you work for it, if you want to do it. 
I had a guildie complaining about why he had to actually play the game to Fly.  We all do, if we want to fly.  I told him there are FPs all over, same with Draenor. 

He didnt like my suggestion that he actually play the game before getting all the perks that those who DID...

1 hour ago, PatrickHenry said:

First - totally agree on the challenge.  I hate steamrolling through content.  At some point it seems like you would want to so that it makes sense to level up, and to get the old mounts/gear/etc. 

...but I would love to do ICC 'at level' as it were.  Black Temple or old Kara again?  Sure!  Why not have the option?  They clearly have the technology to make it happen.  Timewalking is a good start, but even those are... pretty easy.  Very few mechanics are fatal. 

Secondly - i hated attunemnet but it definitely does make you work for it, if you want to do it. 
I had a guildie complaining about why he had to actually play the game to Fly.  We all do, if we want to fly.  I told him there are FPs all over, same with Draenor. 

He didnt like my suggestion that he actually play the game before getting all the perks that those who DID...

well even now specifically they give you the whistle at 110 that auto takes you to the nearest flight point, soooo not a huge need for flying. but i agree, i didn't mind it in wod because there were flight points everywhere. even then I refused to pay for higher riding skill so even when i unlocked flying the flight points were faster for me.

i also agree with more advanced time walking.  would like more appropriately scaled time walking to play raids as they were. A big example was SoO. SoO is the pinnacle of raiding to me and I loved it. I'd clear lfr norm and heroic on every toon every week just because I thought it was so fun. Come WoD we are steam rolling mythic with no mechanics, the joy, the fun, the challenge was all gone. So, it would be fun to try out Black Temple as it was originally intended or Vanilla Nax again (minus 8 tank 4 horsemen fights). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, demonardvark said:

well even now specifically they give you the whistle at 110 that auto takes you to the nearest flight point, soooo not a huge need for flying. but i agree, i didn't mind it in wod because there were flight points everywhere. even then I refused to pay for higher riding skill so even when i unlocked flying the flight points were faster for me.

i also agree with more advanced time walking.  would like more appropriately scaled time walking to play raids as they were. A big example was SoO. SoO is the pinnacle of raiding to me and I loved it. I'd clear lfr norm and heroic on every toon every week just because I thought it was so fun. Come WoD we are steam rolling mythic with no mechanics, the joy, the fun, the challenge was all gone. So, it would be fun to try out Black Temple as it was originally intended or Vanilla Nax again (minus 8 tank 4 horsemen fights). 

Thing is, classes and the gameplay have changed so much that they could never recreate those raids again. They'd need to change certain things or we'd either steamroll them or be unable to clear them. People would be pissed that their X favourite boss was changed and the nostalgia effect of everyone saying X was the hardest boss ever would disappear. 

In Blizzard's eyes, it's better to leave something like Naxx40 in the past as a "pinnacle" of raiding difficulty. Something that people can talk about and blow out of proportion as much as possible, with things like ridiculous gear requirements and such being completely forgotten. 

If we were to see LK HC as it was, will they put it on 0% nerf and let us wipe on it until we give up? Will we be gated to 50 attempts per week, as it was in WOTLK? There was a lot more that you simply can't mimic in the present day. If you implemented this fight, people just would try it, give up and wait until Blizzard change it.

8 hours ago, Blainie said:

Thing is, classes and the gameplay have changed so much that they could never recreate those raids again. They'd need to change certain things or we'd either steamroll them or be unable to clear them. People would be pissed that their X favourite boss was changed and the nostalgia effect of everyone saying X was the hardest boss ever would disappear.

Can we at least agree that all of the old DUNGEONS should be playable at max level?  Flex dungeons, as it were?  Or 'timewalker' them, perhaps?

Edited by PatrickHenry

16 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

Can we at least agree that all of the old DUNGEONS should be playable at max level?  Flex dungeons, as it were?  Or 'timewalker' them, perhaps?

I think dungeons would be a nice idea, yeah. There are some I definitely don't want to return to (looking at you Wailing Caverns), but the majority are really cool. They are also much easier to implement with the same feel that they used to have. I think the raids should be limited to events, rather than having lots available. Something where Blizzard can actively choose which raid and then have enough time to prepare, like they did with MC.

4 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

Hey!  I didn't mind WC so much... 

Nobody in my group ever understood how to do the bloody thing, so it meant typing instructions EVERY time. It took its toll on me :(

58 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Nobody in my group ever understood how to do the bloody thing, so it meant typing instructions EVERY time. It took its toll on me :(

HAHAHAHA, oOoooooooOOoohhh, that part I can totally agree on

10 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

HAHAHAHA, oOoooooooOOoohhh, that part I can totally agree on

"Guys, we need to go and do this boss first.." HUH WHAT WHERE LETS GO THIS WAY INSTEAD

3 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

They did streamline BFD, though!  Just having the bosses listed in order on the 'bonus objective' quest list made a world of difference.

Very true. Perhaps reworks could make those old, hated dungeons become something beautiful.