FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
grant82

MoP pvp??? back from 14 month break

So I left wow when MoP came out. Now I am coming back.

What is the pvp scene like now? Who is op? Who is not? How are Dks and Priests fairing?

There were many changes to PvP in 5.3, so you might start by looking at them. Basically PvP got more balanced (gear-wise) and accessible with 5.3.

In terms of class balance, there are the usual underplayed classes. For example, Restoration Druid is quite underplayed, but the class will get a huge buff in 5.4. Windwalker Monks are also very rare, but playing one myself I can say they are perfectly fine and balanced, but not easy to play. Discipline Priests are very strong healers at the moment, especially in 2v2 situations. Shadow Priests recently got nerfed by restricting their Void Shift use in Arena and RBG, and they will be further nerfed in 5.4 (Basically the 15% damage reduction will be taken away). Death Knights are also fine, they have excellent damage, but are quite squishy as well - they are usually our main target in Arena matches.

I do not think there is a particularly overpowered class in a 3v3 context; Sure, a Ret, Beastmaster or Warrior will probably kill you in a duel, but just because they have this huge red glowing all-in burst button available. If you look at the 3v3 ladder, there is no particular class/spec that would seem to be dominant. You just need to survive the burst nowadays, by using CC or LoS.

PvP is still fun, especially with friends, and the new 5.3 changes made it even better. :)

Hey Marco thanks for the info. My main is a DK and my alt is disc priest, but I haven't played since MoP came out and I would love some more advice/information about 1 vs 1 pvp and BGs. I don't arena to much, but I love to pvp, so I just wanted to see what has changed class-wise in pvp over the last year.

What in your opinion are the OP classes when going head to head with each other. Obviously, there always counter classes to each other, but what classes/specs are doing really well in BG's right now and in the future?

I can't really give you class specific information regarding changes in MoP, but generally in a 1v1 situation the class with the better burst will win. If you take hunters for example, they have an excellent burst and win many duels, but a duel against a hunter with his primary burst on cooldown is a piece of cake. Healers should not die in a 1v1, as they are specifically designed to survive in 3v3, so they could be considered "overpowered" in a duel. Other cooldowns are also important of course. I have no problem against rogues with my windwalker monk if my two stun breaks are available. Otherwise they can create a huge amount of pressure, especially because they have an excellent burst.

I struggle to give you the overpowered class(es), because there simply is none. Every damage dealing class has some kind of burst mechanic, every damage dealing class has some kind of defensive abilities. The choice of class should suit your playstyle, not what is currently considered a tad bit stronger or expected to be stronger in the future. WoW is pretty balanced in my opinion. There is always a slight imbalance, but the gear gap between honor and conquest gear and the skill of the individual player make a bigger difference.

DKs and priests are fine. Just play what is most fun for you, not what some guy on a forum thinks makes 10% more DPS or has 5% more effective CC. ;)

So I left wow when MoP came out. Now I am coming back.

What is the pvp scene like now? Who is op? Who is not? How are Dks and Priests fairing?

Druids are OP, bear, heal, bear, a million hit points 10 people attacking after 5 minutes finally down to 300k, tree FULL heal, then back to bear and the whole thing starts over again..

It's a real riot...

Healers are OP, but then again.. they don't do any damage, so you can't kill them.. yeah of course not they are designed to heal through boss segments.. so not surprised..

Locks STILL OP, Paladin.. maybe, easiest to kill probably shaman or hunter.. mail wearers don't last very long in PvP...

In my opinion priests are still the best healers, PvP, PvE.. priests are top notch. DK it's just tired.. enough already, tired of DK. I had a DK, a geared full tier 80 (before MoP of course) awesome DK, yeah.. deleted! I am so tired of DK.

I actually feel better when there are NO DK's in the RAID.. it's kinda like a game for me..

Druids are OP, bear, heal, bear, a million hit points 10 people attacking after 5 minutes finally down to 300k, tree FULL heal, then back to bear and the whole thing starts over again..

It's a real riot...

Healers are OP, but then again.. they don't do any damage, so you can't kill them.. yeah of course not they are designed to heal through boss segments.. so not surprised..

Healers are designed to be taken down in a 3v3 situation, not in 2v2 or on the battleground by a single damage dealer. Thus you get the perception that they are OP while in fact they are not. Druids are not among the best heal classes currently and they are certainly not OP.

Locks STILL OP, Paladin.. maybe, easiest to kill probably shaman or hunter.. mail wearers don't last very long in PvP...

In my opinion priests are still the best healers, PvP, PvE.. priests are top notch. DK it's just tired.. enough already, tired of DK. I had a DK, a geared full tier 80 (before MoP of course) awesome DK, yeah.. deleted! I am so tired of DK.

I actually feel better when there are NO DK's in the RAID.. it's kinda like a game for me..

I don't think Warlocks are OP, there is no evidence and you give no reason either. Good hunters have an excellent burst and can't have the best survivability around, but they are excellent in 3v3 with a healer and certainly not easy to kill there. The same goes for shamans, although one might argue that enhancer is a bit underpowered in PvP.

What's your hate for DKs based on? They are fine.

• Like 1