FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
LulleBulle

Stat priority for boomkins + is it worth changing spec?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to understand the stat priority for boomkins. According to this guide on icy-veins it states haste > int> crit> versatility => mastery. Meanwhile both trinkets in the guide are mastery trinkets. They say that you should have about twice as much haste as crit and twice as much crit as mastery/versatility but almost every piece of gear gives mastery which makes me end up on:

Crit: 18%

Haste: 26%

Mastery: 42% (!)

Versatility: 4%

My question is if anyone knows any "fixed" percentages to aim for or if you should go for the stats mentioned above (twice, twice). 

My 2nd question is why Enchant Neck - Mark of the Hidden Satyr is preferred over the crit/haste-one. 

Now to the spec-changing question. I'm currently on lvl 20 of my balance artifact and 15 on feral. Is it worth changing? The only thing that I need is basically trinkets. 

Thanks guys

It's gonna be very hard to end up with perfect secondary stats.  Basically I just aim for as much haste as possible and let the other secondary stats fall as they may.  Cyous has a Boomkin guide on the blizz forums with stat weights so you can calculate the value of pieces if you want to.  Usually whichever piece ends up with more haste comes out ahead. 

20 hours ago, DrJ105 said:

It's gonna be very hard to end up with perfect secondary stats.  Basically I just aim for as much haste as possible and let the other secondary stats fall as they may.  Cyous has a Boomkin guide on the blizz forums with stat weights so you can calculate the value of pieces if you want to.  Usually whichever piece ends up with more haste comes out ahead. 

I'm kind of trying to do the same unless the secondary stats has a ridiculous difference. I try finding haste/crit items as much as possible.

I was having some issues to. At first I went with ilvl, than started focusing on haste. Than after a short while the haste increases were not significant. However what was happening was I was getting a minor bump in haste and replacing a secondary stat with a but load of mastery. So I started to focus on getting rid of mastery without giving up haste. I started to see significant bumps in my secondary stats and started to see my dps increase.

I'm sure there is a numbers game here but dropping my mastery cause an increase in all of my secondary stats that are higher priority than mastery while still increasing my haste. Now my crit is almost as high as my haste and my mastery is now down to where my haste is at. So Now I can make minor switches to my overall haste// I know its odd, its addition by subtraction but it has helped a lot.

Also I struggled with rotation and maintaining my dots at first. I used the add-ons suggested and once I adjusted to them that has helped a lot.

As others have stated, haste is by far our best stat.  The more haste you stack, the more damage you will do so there is no "soft cap."  Apparently, damage proc trinkets are very good for us right now. 

Naraxas' Spiked Tongue is at the top of the list because it provides an instant damage burst vs. other trinkets that puts DoTs on the target (such as Swarming Plaguehive) and the Stormsinger Fulmination Charge works great for us because you can "snapshot" your Solar/Lunar Empowerments at the 10th stack, giving those stacks 6k+ mastery.  What this means is that if you don't expend the last charge of the empowerment, you'll retain that 6k+ mastery for that empowerment (this will most likely be lunar empowerment that you are saving as you will be spamming Solar Wrath for astral power).  I have been trying to obtain a Stormsinger Fulmination Charge but have not received one yet so I have been using Chrono Shard instead. 

As for your necklace enchant question, I think people ran sims and the hidden satyr enchant provides more DPS for us overall. 

I also had the same questions you did for the first few weeks of Legion in regards to switching to Feral, however, after not giving up on Boomkin and practicing over and over, I'm glad I didn't switch over to Feral as I am now top 3 DPS in my guild.  You just have to get comfortable with your rotation and learn when you have to move so you can pool up astral power to Starsurge while moving OR reapply your moonfire/sunfire while moving.  Feral probably has one of the hardest rotations in the game and is great if you can perfect the priority list but is apparently extremely punishing if you don't know what you are doing (which was more of a punishment for me). 

7 minutes ago, Vyroxe said:

As others have stated, haste is by far our best stat.  The more haste you stack, the more damage you will do so there is no "soft cap."  

Haste is our best secondary stat, but there is diminishing returns at roughly 30%. Therefore, if you currently have 30% or within 10% variance, it is better to increase Crit - Mastery - Versatility in that order. Also, following the soft caps of diminishing returns.

Edited by Moondaze

It is a really interesting topic as many of the top balance druids on warcraftlogs have a ton of Mastery but at the same time not even 30% haste... there are not many high ilvl items with crit / haste out there. Which is why I crave for Reforging to make a comeback :)

But from personal experience I kinda felt that to much Haste through sacrificing all other stats hurts the performance. Which is why I was happy to see the guide updated to the rule of having Crit at least half as high as Haste... I was running at 38% Haste but only like 14% Crit and it just wasn't playing out smoothly.

Edited by Boonatix
Grammar...