Balance Druid DPS Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Balance Druid. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5.
The Basics of Stats for Balance Druid
The stat priority for a Balance Druid is as follows:
- Haste = Critical Strike;
Explaining Stat Priority
The Stat Priority is a fluid entity. Every piece of gear you equip, socket you roll on your loot, and every piece you swap affects your stat priority. If you neglect a stat too much, its priority will rise higher and higher until it overtakes other stats. If the stat is lower on the above general priority, it will generally not take too much of the stat to drop it back down quickly.
What happened to Mastery?
In Patch 8.2, Blizzard buffed the effects of all on-hit effects from trinkets, Azerite, and gear. Mastery does not affect these procs and damaging abilities like the other three stats do, as it is specified to only influence our spells. As more of our damage relies on abilities that are not influenced by Mastery, the weaker it gets. If you have very few damage procs or extremely little Mastery, it will still show a high value for you. Always sim yourself!
Why Intellect is so bad?
Intellect is actually not a bad stat for Balance Druid. The reason it falls so low on the priority is due to the nature of primary stat scaling versus secondary stat scaling, as well as the obvious abundance of Intellect on almost all of your gear.
Firstly, Intellect is present on all of your gear except rings, and secondary stats are present on all of your gear except Azerite pieces. While rings have a large amount of secondary stat allocation, it is still less than having the heavy primary stat allotment on Azerite gear.
Furthermore, primary stat scales much heavier with item level than secondary stats. The best way to understand this is to visualize it using an example.
Kelp-Laced Greaves drops on all four difficulties in Battle of Dazar'alor after defeating Stormwall Blockade. On Heroic, this piece has 378 Intellect and 260 total secondary stats. On Mythic, these legs have 434 Intellect and and 275 total secondaries. So over 15 item level, you gain 56 Intellect but only 15 secondary stats, which is almost four times more Intellect than secondary stats.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Getting a Better Understanding of Balance Druid Stats
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities. This stat has an element of randomness, meaning that it may not always be as effective as other stats or may be more effective than other stats on a fight-by-fight basis.
Mastery, through Mastery: Starlight, increases the damage of Starsurge and Starfall, and increases the effects of your Lunar and Solar Empowerments. Additionally, Mastery increases the damage dealt by your Moonfire and Sunfire.
Haste increases your casting speed and your Astral Power generation (as a result of you being able to cast more spells).
Versatility increases all your damage and healing done, and decreases all damage taken. This stat can be undervalued while doing more difficult content as the damage reduction is not factored into most decisions. When doing raid progression, high Mythic+, or any other hard hitting content, consider valuing Versatility higher.
- 06 Nov. 2019: Moved Critical Strike up in priority.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Moved Critical Strike up in priority.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated stat weights and added explanations.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 23 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of Patch 8.2
- 12 May 2019: Updated Stat Weights and added explanations.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated Stat Prioritiy for Patch 8.1.
- 12 Oct. 2018: Elaborated on Stat Priority.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Critical Strike now pulls ahead of Versatility.
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- PvP with the Blues: November 15th
- Ny'alotha, the Waking City Rewards: Ny'alotha Allseer (Mythic N'Zoth Mount) & Wriggling Parasite (Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider Mount)
- Infinite Heart of Azeroth Trait in Patch 8.3: Purity of the Worldsoul
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk
- Fury Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Gems for Timewalking Arcane Mage