FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stenbock

Tank rankings - opinions & thoughts

Hello everyone!

I was just curious at how people rank tanks currently and the statistics behind it.

Why am I asking this? Well I'm considering switching tank class. 

(Went from blood dk to prot pala)

Dont get me wrong the prot paladin is great but the playstyle just doesn't suit me that well. Also the damage output is miserable or at least mine is. 

I have the possibility to pick up any tanking class available but again curious at what the general consensus is. 

From what I've heard and seen this is how I'd rank them.

Bear>Warr>Pala>DK>DH=Monk 

Sidenote: apparently the brewmaster is capable of insane things if you're in that 1% of players who have mastered the class.

I'm the type of guy who tries to make it as easy as possible for the guild to progress and we will soon hopefully start clearing EN mythic (a bit late but hey that's life)

So if I would switch what should I switch too? 

Any help is appreciated ! :)

Well, for me the Druid has been the best tank since I've been playing. 
Went to bear in TBC - Has been awesome ever since.

Currently happens to be flavour of the expansion but tbh, can't go wrong with them as a class.
Instant cast travel/flight form...  Tauren gives quicker herbing (herbing in flight form = godly) and an extra stam flask/stun.
Stealth, can heal / ranged / melee...

• Like 1

How much of a challenge do you want to set yourself?

The snag with bear tanking is looking at a bear's ass for the next few months of your life. Its not great.

Bear>>Pala=DK>Warr>DH>Monk 

There you , thats my view on them. 

Bear is rock solid and once you master it you can fall asleep and be ok. It can be pretty boring and while your currently OP, I reckon that will change with 7.1.5. 

Pally = DK, both do different things well. Depending on what content your after each has its strengths and weaknesses.  Pallys can do great dps but that means that their survivabillity suffers.  If the content is on farm then go for more dps, go for less for progression

Warrior is solid but boring, according to some. It got some nerfs which might have pushed it down the scales a bit, again depends on you and your playstyle.

DH is due a buff and the PTR notes show it getting a major buff. I dont think that Blizz wanted its new hero class to be so weak so its going to get a massive boost to make it competitive again. Not sure if you want to wait that long.

Brewmaster is very very good, if you know how to play it correctly. If you dont, just step away and dont look back. Again this is due for some more buffs and a more simplified play-style is on the cards but if you can master it, it can do amazing things. 

My advice, coming from a BDK , go back to the BDK , dont overlook insane self healing and a CR, always a good thing. We have nicer behinds too than the bears which is always good. 

:)

(Play what you want to a high level and they will all be good, play them bad and well you get the idea)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneShotGamingMLG
      To all who read,
      I am a WoW player and have been since vanilla, I’ve played several variances of classes through the expansions and this round settled with shadow priest which I ran through the majority of Legion and BfA. I have never written a guide or forum post before but decided I wanted to share my thoughts and opinions and see how other players in the same position feel as well.

I would like to ask people to respect everyone’s opinion as this forum topic will be a place for unusual class builds, talent choices, and stat priorities. Everyone plays the game for fun and should be able to build a toon that is effective utilizing a multi style approach. I do believe that the simulators are awesome for checking gear and choices when it comes to specific cases perhaps PvP. That being said though, I feel as though sims are not really a good indicator of a talent choice or gear piece’s level of effectiveness. I am by no means a tremendously good player, probably average to be honest, but ask any top tier player and they will tell you very rarely does a pull go “perfect” for their class. these simulations then are only showing if something goes perfect, so I thought why not build a class around what “actually” happens versus the “perfect pull”, so that is what I did.
      I would love to hear what other players thoughts on the matter are and list what your individual stat priorities are and maybe discuss why!
      mine are as follows;
      1.) Mastery = Versatility
        (both of these boost damage output but versatility is not limited by number of DoTs so it helps if you are struggling to keep skills on targets.)
      2.) Haste (this increases the amount of ticks per cast, when paired with high Vers and mastery you deal large DoT damage which is great if you’re in a high movement fight.)
      3.) Critical
       This for many reasons is great. First, shadowy app procs, and secondly just plain damage bumps. Lastly, and arguably most important though is the shadow word death damage boost. When we execute (comparing to warrior skill) it deals increased damage naturally to targets below 20% health I believe. When you pair this with high mastery Vers and a decent crit chance you can execute for incredibly high amounts of damage to help that end fight dps chart! 

• By Rowiin
      This guild is no longer raiding
    • By Veramos
      10/10 MC (51 minute clear time)
      1/1 Onyxia

Raid Schedule: Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday 7:30pm - 10:30pm EST

Loot System: Loot Council. Loot is distributed based on performance, attendance, class BiS, size of upgrade

Member Requirements:

- Zero drama policy. We are all adults and expect members to act mature, friendly, and bring a positive attitude to the guild.
      - Understand your class and spec and be open to constructive criticism to improve your raid performance.
      - Be prepared with consumables, show up on time.
      - Maintain a high attendance record of 85% or higher
      - Provide feedback to the guild and officer core about any concerns. We want to be as transparent and open with each other as possible.
      - We are a tight knit group that enjoy a low stress environment and always welcoming and open to newcomers.

Recruitment Needs:

PI Priest - 2
      Hunter - 0
      Warlock - 1
      Holy Paladin - 0
      Fury/Prot Warrior(Offtank) - 2
      Fury Warrior - 1
      Rogue - 0
      Mage - 0
      Druid - 0

We will always entertain exceptional members of any class even if it shows closed. We are also accepting all social members that wish to be part of Torch. All players of any class looking for an active guild to PvP with are welcome.
      For the right applicants we may be willing to help pay for server transfer to Benediction

Join our discord:  https://discord.gg/XaBRX4h

For any further questions, or to talk further about joining Torch please message me directly
    • By Riotzin
      <Cryogenic> - 4/9M - Recruiting all RDPS classes for an immediate raid spot to round out our 20m roster. Tues/Weds 7-11 SERVER. Discord/Flask/Food provided for raiders. 925++. Pst for more info!!!

The guild was founded by a group of friends with a mission, to progress through mythic raids without the toxic environment. The guild was formed halfway through EN and despite the late start we built a solid core of raiders and down 5/7M EN before the Nighthold was released. We ended up having to break up as soon as we cleared heroic Nighthold, but we are back with a vengance here on Stormrage now. 

CURRENT PROGRESSION:
      Emerald Nightmare -- 5/7M
      Trial of Valor -- 3/3H
      Nighthold -- 10/10H 5/10M (Guild break after Gul'dan kill)
      Tomb of Sargeras -- 9/9N 9/9H 4/9M
      MOST RECENT KILL: MYTHIC SISTERS OF THE MOON

LOOKING FOR:
      We are currently looking for people that can commit to all raid days, who will show up prepared and not waste our time or their own time. We understand that real life happens, but we do ask that our raiders maintain at least 90% attendance and that can make sure they can raid without interruption. We don't have any strict attendance policies/punishments, however it is important for us to keep our progression as strong as possible, which relies heavily on raid wide attendance. 

RAID TIMES:
      Tuesdays: 7-11 Server (EST) Mythic/Progression
      Wednesdays: 7-11 Server (EST) Mythic/Progression
      Thursday 8-11 Server (EST) Optional Heroic/Normal

We also often run old content (M EN/ToV/Nightbane/Nighthold) as well as constant M+ groups throughout the day. These runs are 100% optional.

RECRUITMENT:
      We are currently looking for all exceptional players to rebuild our raid team. We don't care about item level or prior experience. We want quality players to learn, grow, and progress with. We currently have a very strong core of raiders, but with attendance issues and people quitting wow, we are strongly shifting our focus on finding players that excel at their class/spec to round out the last few spots in our main roster. 

CURRENT NEED:
      ALL DPS CLASSES - (ranged more so than melee)
      ALL EXCEPTIONAL PLAYERS

EXPECTATIONS:
      We expect all raiders to come to raids prepared. This means: 
      - Having the correct gems/enchants (200 gems)
      - Class knowledge
      - Raid preparation. 
      We only raid 8 hours a week, so it is imperative that we don't waste time.All underpreforming players, regardless of rank and class, will be benched until performance can be brought up to par for the current content. We are not interested in carrying anyone, and if you cannot perform raid mechanics, then we are not the guild for you. Cauldrons and food will be provided by the guild bank when available. Everyone in the guild is taken care of, and this is done primarily through donation by our members. Our guild is a small community and we all pitch in to get things done.

LOOT SYSTEM:
      As a guild we opt to run loot through a loot council that is run by the officers. Loot is distributed in a way that most benefits the raid team in terms of progression. Distributing loot factors are performance/attendance/role/rank (I.E. Trials are typically lower on loot priority. (Higher rank than takes priority over trial) Loot is always dished out in a way that is most beneficial to the guild is a whole, and is a completely transparent process to avoid drama. We use the add-on RClootcouncil for ease of distribution.

PRIMARY CONTACT:
      Recruitment Officer - Riotzin (FrostyDog#155103)

OTHER CONTACTS:
      Guild Master/Raid Leader - Dêv (CrispyD#1823) 
      Lootmaster/Co-GM - Beanboss

Anyone listed can answer any further questions you may have pertaining to the guild as well as conduct your interview in our guild discord.
    • By Ethankey
      Welcome all, my name is Ethankey, I am the GM of The Speakeasy Tavern. We are an Alliance semi-hardcore raiding guild on Darkspear. Some of you migWelcome, my name is Ethankey, I am the GM of The Speakeasy Tavern. We are an Alliance semi-hardcore raiding guild on Darkspear. Some of you might know me from speed runs and pugs I run regularly. We are looking for a few key roles to round out our roster in ToS. If you haven’t locked in a permanent spot on anyone’s raid roster we would love to talk to you and see if you are what we’re looking for. We are an extremely laid back group and we always have fun together. We are mainly an adult guild but are not biased as long as the maturity level is kept. We are not only active on raid nights but throughout the week, running M+ and various other content. We have people on at all hours of the day.

Current Raid Schedule:
      Progression raiding thurs.-Sat. 9pm EST. – 1am (7pm st-11pm st) and optional Sunday run at same time if needed. We also do alt/ap runs on Tues. 10 pm Est. (8pm st) along with M+ all week.

Requirements:
      • Attendance, all raiders are expected to show up for raid nights and be there 15 minutes prior for invite.
      • 890+ ilvl for Heroic nh
      • 900+ ilvl for mythic nh
      • General knowledge of the current fight.
      • Working headset and mic.
      • All required ad ons installed. DBM, RcLoot council, gtfo, healers have to die.
      Recruiting: as of 6/04/17
      Tanks, Warlock, Boomkin,
      Melee Dps ,Healers
      Any strong Dps should also apply.

What to expect:
      We provide a fun raiding environment with minimal stress. We down bosses at a consistent rate. Expect to laugh and be laughed at when mistakes are made. Wow is still a video game and we want to have fun. Also expect to be serious when the time is called for since we still want to be productive and make the most of our time. We expect our raider to periodically contribute to the guild bank, since we make cauldron and feasts for most raids. We will do whats best for the raid with no favoritism.

What we expect:
      • We expect our raider’s to periodically contribute to the guild bank, since we make cauldrons and feasts for most raids. You come out way cheaper than providing for yourself.
      • If you can’t make raid times, you to give an officer an advanced notice. In game mail is acceptable. This allows us to provide a more consistent raid.

Contact us to set up an interview:
      Ethankey#1498, Maxpayne#1368