Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drumsmani

About tank-switching

10 posts in this topic

As a fairly new player, I have been playing mostly as DPS. I am trying to maintain a tanking off-spec on one of my toons. For now, I mainly tank only for guild groups in dungeons and low level content.

The guides for various raid bosses talk about situations under which a tank-switch is necessary. How does one monitor the debuffs on the other tank to know when to taunt the boss off that tank? I know boss-mods alert bit different between ranged and melee dps for some fights, do they also have some alerts for tanks? Or should I have the other tank as a focus target (and enable debuffs to be shown on focus nameplate) and monitor that? 

They work for tanks as well.  Also, anything that forces a tank swap includes a debuff icon.  Just look at your target's debuffs...when acquired, swap.

I usually put set the other tank as my focus target. Works or me.

Communication is key though.....make sure your mic works :)

I find the easiest way to do this is Target of Targets Target. it's a setting in most Ui's that allows you to see the Target of whatever you are targeting so you can monitor who the mob is beating on. This will help you with both tank switching and tanking in general, I like that it's easier to tell when the mob is focused on you and not beating on some helpless mage.

Thanks for the replies. I agree communication is key, but my guild is not doing any MoP raids at the moment. So, if I muster enough courage, I will be trying to start tanking in LFR and I usually see only rage communication in there. :P 

Target of Target's Target seems like a good idea too. Maybe I will start experimenting with that and/or focus target frames while continuing to play as DPS and see if I can place them in the right area in my screen and get used to monitoring the relevant debuffs. 

i like vuhdo. it has lots of ways to display buffs and you can setup a main raid panel as well as a private tanks panel. the main raid can be small and the private tanks can show targets and have whoever you want in it. i like to see who everyone in a ten man is targeting.

this screencap shows how you can make target of target display but i dont have it tracking stacks on tank debuffs cause im just a mindless dps.

i just have that bottom panal showing target and focus and as long as youre out of combat you can add anyone to that panel by setting them as a "private tank".

theres lots of vids on youtube on setting it up.

Edited by kitsu

there is a number of addons that can help you with these kinds of things aswell, I use TellMeWhen and made a setting so that an icon appears when my focus target (the other tank) has any of the MoP Raid tankswitch implying debuffs. the icon that appears shows the image of the debuff and displays the number of stacks.

there are various other addons that allow you to track these things aswell.

I like the KISS method for most of my tanking needs. With the standard UI, you can see many of the tanking debuffs just on your raid frames, but I also like to have my offtank as my focus target. Just makes swapping easier. When you're tanking LFR, look up the guides before you go in. There's few things more frustrating thank tanking with someone who has never bothered to learn the fights. Also, if there's a stacking debuff, ask the other tank how many stacks he or she would like you to taunt at. It'll make things smoother.

I don't use any addons - I just have the raid frames display debuffs. On Durumu the panel gets crowded so I have to set focus on the off-tank to monitor his stacks of Serious Wound, but otherwise it has been enough information for all the encounters I've done.

I always set the other tank as my focus target.  Between that and Deadly Boss Mods I've never had a problem monitoring the buff(s) that require tank switching.  In addition to watching buffs it's also a good idea to watch the other tank's health.  Sometimes they'll have a run of bad luck, or forget to use their cooldowns, and you'll see their health steadily dropping in which case you might want to taunt "early".

And you have to know the fights of course so you know when to tank switch, or those fun times when you have to educate the other tank.  And be aware that there are some tanks in LFR that think of themselves as "bad ass" and they will tell you when to taunt. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ghostwave
      Hey,
      Riskbreakers are currently looking to fill our roster to push into Mythic. Heroic EN is now on farm and we are itching for the next step. We are easy going most of the time but take progression very seriously.
      Raid times are Tuesday and Thursday 19:30 - 23:00. We are also very active outside of raid times with multiple Mythic+ groups most days.
      Ranged dps and a healer are what we are focusing on but any decent applicant will be considered all the same.
      We expect a good working knowledge or your class and all boss mechanics, 860 ilvl is a minimum considering our current progression.
      If you'd like to join us for a raid one evening to see if we are a good fit for you please don't hesitate to ask.
      You can contact me at Ghostwave#2298, Seppie at Seppie#2770 or Zuraki at Strange#2570
      Failing that, just /who for anyone in the guild, they'll be happy to help.
    • By Deadflesh
      Hey du, ja genau du,kennst du das?

Du bist kampfbereit und voll motiviert? Doch kaum kommst du ins TS jammert schon der Erste, dass wir Boss xy nicht schaffen. Der nächste hat keine Rerolls dabei und wieder ein anderer hat angeblich nicht mal Gold für Runen? Du bist der Einzige, der richtig gesockelt und verzaubert hat? Du bist der, der allen Flasks, Pots und Bufffood borgen muss? Und trotzdem hörst du, wie nach den ersten 2 Wipes die Motivation radikal sinkt und jeder jeden flamt und sich gegenseitig die Schuld zugeschoben wird, anstatt konstruktive Vorschläge zu bringen? Du bist der Einzige, der nicht im Feuer gestorben ist oder der Einzige im Raid, der den neuen Boss kennt? Du bist der, der den mythic Boss schon vor dem 30. Try verstanden hat?

Wenn du, so wie wir, alle diese Fragen mit "Ja" beantwortet hast, geht es dir so wie uns. Denn auch wir wollen die ganzen Steine und Deppen loswerden und mit einer guten, progress-orientieren Gilde durchstarten! Wenn dir das gefällt, dann bewirb dich bei uns, wenn du glaubst, dass du hochprozentig genug bist, um bei Distilled mitzumachen.
      Wir bieten dir :

- 3 Raidtage (Mi 19-23 Uhr, So 18-23 Uhr und Mo 19-23 Uhr)
      - faire Lootverteilung (so, dass es dem Raid am meisten bringt)
      - gutes und vor allem professionelles Auftreten im Raid
      - keine Failer
      - gut vorbereitete und hochmotivierte Mitspieler, die stetig nach einem höheren Perfektionslevel streben
      - Progress und vor allem Loot
      Wir suchen:
      - DPS Range & Melee 
      Aktueller Stand Emerald Nightmare:
      - NHC 7/7
      - HC 7/7
      - Mythic 7/7
      ToV:
      - NHC 3/3
      - HC 3/3
      Wir Distilled sind eine "neue" Gilde die sich aus top Spielern zusammensetzt die keine Lust mehr auf Failer hat.
      Wir freuen uns auf eure Bewerbungen im Forum oder meldet euch via BattleTag Lunzi#1306 für weitere Fragen,
      Forum: http://distilled.enjin.com/home
      - Distilled
    • By Sappora
      Methodical is in search of dedicated players that are looking to push content in a semi-hardcore environment. All of our raiders try to be on a first-name basis with each other. Our raids are very fun when it comes to farm and carries, however, we do clean up when it's time for progression. When it comes to raiding we do provide benefits, paid for by selling carries. 
      All-in-all we are looking for players willing to: consistently improve their performance, take responsibility, and synergize with a group of players. If this interests you, all of our info is below.
      Information:
      Guild: Methodical
      Creation: 2013
      Server: Bleeding Hollow
      Faction: Horde
      VoIP: Discord
      Raids:
      Raid Progression: 4/7 M EN 2/3 H ToV
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)
      Benefits:
      Spirit Cauldrons
      Potion Program
      Extensive Raid Repairs
      Recruitment:
      The below are just current needs, we are accepting all exceptional players.
      Tanks: N/A, looking for OS tanks and subs.
      Ranged: Boomkin & Others , & looking for subs
      Melee: Open (Non-Leather), & looking for subs.
      Healers: Restoration Shaman, looking for subs.
      If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and our raids. 
      Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)

• By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H & 3/3N Recruiting DPS for Mythic progression.

About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of in real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus during Firelands (Cataclysm). We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids. We have a casual-ish atmosphere with a serious desire for progression.

What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids. At this moment, we are only seeking out DPS (prefer ranged). We are open to both new and returning players. While we prefer a geared player, we value a positive attitude over experience. Any players who are interested and able to make all (or some; we are open to "fillers") of the raid days/time, please contact us.

Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Ventrilo (currently trying out Curse) for our raids. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. We encourage trials to join us in raids, dungeons, our VOIP, and/or even in other games. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster.

If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!
    • By Babblet
      About us:
      Converge has been around since WoW Vanilla and has been raiding together since Molten Core; most of our members have been playing together for years. In its older days, when most of us where young, we were more raid focused and demanded a lot from our members. Over the years we had to adjust our playtime and priorities with a growing list of RL responsibilities and are now, for all intents and purposes, a semi-casual raiding guild.
      At this point in time we are trying to round out our roster and eventually attempt Mythic raids once we feel comfortable with our raid composition.
      Raid Times: 8:00 PM – 12:00 AM Eastern Time – Monday/Tuesday.
      Recruitment: Currently we are only accepting Ranged DPS.
      Legion Progression: [EN] 7/7 Normal - 7/7 Heroic [ToV] 3/3 Normal
      Contacts:
      Sodium#11394