drumsmani

About tank-switching

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

As a fairly new player, I have been playing mostly as DPS. I am trying to maintain a tanking off-spec on one of my toons. For now, I mainly tank only for guild groups in dungeons and low level content.

The guides for various raid bosses talk about situations under which a tank-switch is necessary. How does one monitor the debuffs on the other tank to know when to taunt the boss off that tank? I know boss-mods alert bit different between ranged and melee dps for some fights, do they also have some alerts for tanks? Or should I have the other tank as a focus target (and enable debuffs to be shown on focus nameplate) and monitor that? 

They work for tanks as well.  Also, anything that forces a tank swap includes a debuff icon.  Just look at your target's debuffs...when acquired, swap.

I usually put set the other tank as my focus target. Works or me.

Communication is key though.....make sure your mic works :)

I find the easiest way to do this is Target of Targets Target. it's a setting in most Ui's that allows you to see the Target of whatever you are targeting so you can monitor who the mob is beating on. This will help you with both tank switching and tanking in general, I like that it's easier to tell when the mob is focused on you and not beating on some helpless mage.

Thanks for the replies. I agree communication is key, but my guild is not doing any MoP raids at the moment. So, if I muster enough courage, I will be trying to start tanking in LFR and I usually see only rage communication in there. :P 

Target of Target's Target seems like a good idea too. Maybe I will start experimenting with that and/or focus target frames while continuing to play as DPS and see if I can place them in the right area in my screen and get used to monitoring the relevant debuffs. 

i like vuhdo. it has lots of ways to display buffs and you can setup a main raid panel as well as a private tanks panel. the main raid can be small and the private tanks can show targets and have whoever you want in it. i like to see who everyone in a ten man is targeting.

this screencap shows how you can make target of target display but i dont have it tracking stacks on tank debuffs cause im just a mindless dps.

i just have that bottom panal showing target and focus and as long as youre out of combat you can add anyone to that panel by setting them as a "private tank".

theres lots of vids on youtube on setting it up.

Edited by kitsu

there is a number of addons that can help you with these kinds of things aswell, I use TellMeWhen and made a setting so that an icon appears when my focus target (the other tank) has any of the MoP Raid tankswitch implying debuffs. the icon that appears shows the image of the debuff and displays the number of stacks.

there are various other addons that allow you to track these things aswell.

I like the KISS method for most of my tanking needs. With the standard UI, you can see many of the tanking debuffs just on your raid frames, but I also like to have my offtank as my focus target. Just makes swapping easier. When you're tanking LFR, look up the guides before you go in. There's few things more frustrating thank tanking with someone who has never bothered to learn the fights. Also, if there's a stacking debuff, ask the other tank how many stacks he or she would like you to taunt at. It'll make things smoother.

I don't use any addons - I just have the raid frames display debuffs. On Durumu the panel gets crowded so I have to set focus on the off-tank to monitor his stacks of Serious Wound, but otherwise it has been enough information for all the encounters I've done.

I always set the other tank as my focus target.  Between that and Deadly Boss Mods I've never had a problem monitoring the buff(s) that require tank switching.  In addition to watching buffs it's also a good idea to watch the other tank's health.  Sometimes they'll have a run of bad luck, or forget to use their cooldowns, and you'll see their health steadily dropping in which case you might want to taunt "early".

And you have to know the fights of course so you know when to tank switch, or those fun times when you have to educate the other tank.  And be aware that there are some tanks in LFR that think of themselves as "bad ass" and they will tell you when to taunt. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarcHethrusWaters
      Maximum Effort is a new guild on Cenarion circle (A). I was the raid leader for my guild for a long time and we built up a strong raid team. Due to do some dis-agreements between me and the guild leader I was forced to leave. But luckly enough a lot of my team followed me! We're working to build a guild focused around team work and group progression. We love doing mythics, raids, talking and theory crafting about the game!
      We have a very strong-core raid group, capable of clearing heroic and doing some mythic but we're just missing a few people to round it out!
      Raid nights.. Tue/wed 6-830pm server (9:30-11:30 est) Off night Monday 6-830pm server (9-11:30 est)
      Looking for.. -Any and all dps specs -possibly a raid healer
      All raid mats and needs are covered by guild, we run personal look just for the ease of it.
      My btag is Hethrus#1504 if you have questions or wish to try out!
    • By FoxShine
      Hello! This is Fox from Velocity. We're a not-so-hardcore morning Mythic raiding guild on Sargeras. Currently 1/9M, 9/9H ToS. Last tier we reached 7/10M NH in the two months leading up to ToS. Now we'll be focusing on Mythic ToS progression. A fun fact about us, since were a morning guild we actually got 2 realm 1st's on Heroic. Worldwide our H Goroth kill was 15th, and Demonic Inquisition was 8th (according to wowprogress). Were looking for good and reliable players for our roster, mainly DPS, who can learn the fights quickly and attend our early raid times. 
      [A] <Velocity> 1/9M 9/9H (7/10M) - MORNING raid LFM
      Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs / Mon(Opt/Alt)[/quote]

Looking for:
      Currently Need
      Ranged - Mage, Ele Sham, Hunter, Warlock, Boomkin
      Melee - Rogue, Ret Pally, Warrior, Demon Hunter
      Healer - Disc Priest, Resto Sham, Holy Pal.
      Would consider

Tank - Flex Bear, Vengeance DH/ Havoc
        Requirements: 
      Item Lvl:  915+/-
      Exp:  9/9H (Pref), 8/9H ok

*Specific classes are listed above as preference. However, any class is welcomed! We will consider anyone who is willing to join and can commit to our raid times, we may also make exceptions if you are under the requirements.

Expectations:
      We’re not super hardcore, we like having fun, but we do have high standards; so we expect our raiders to play their class well, come prepared, FOLLOW MECHANICS, have a sense of humor (or not) and adapt quickly. Prior Mythic raiding experience is a plus, though not necessary if you're a fast learner. 
      Due to our morning raid times, we encourage everybody to communicate about attendance via Calendar invites, Discord channels, or through tells with an officer. It’s important to know who will be available week-by-week so we can make arrangements for raid days. This is necessary to avoid setbacks and keep up with progression! We are very understanding when someone needs to post-out. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask is for a heads up!
        Perks: Feasts, Codex, Spirit Cauldrons, near-unlimited guild repairs, and the occasional gem or enchants. We run alt raids and Mythic+ 15s with each other each week. We're a tight-knit guild, who's always joking around and helping each other out. We also play other games together outside of WoW, like Overwatch, SC2, Heroes, Diablo, Dota2, LoL and whatever else.

Additional Info: The morning slot is kind of niche, so it’s important we find players who are dedicated and realistic with their schedules.
      Our Officers are veteran players who have experience raiding at high levels, as well as a majority of our core players. We want to uphold a certain level of standard, the point being that we can joke and have fun while getting stuff done.
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Leave a reply here, send us a tell on BNET or in game. Or be old school and send an in-game mail! Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon! =D

Fox#1713
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410
    • By Teradan
      Hey all,
      most likely something similar has already been asked but still I thought it cant hurt to make my own post.
      Basically I am a Blood DK (https://worldofwarcraft.com/de-de/character/malganis/deathadan) and I am wondering which trinkets I should use.
      Right now I am wearing a Feverish Carapace (Goroth, iLvl 900) and the Reliquary of the Damned (Desolate Host, iLvl 925).
      Yet I recently acquired a Darkmoon Trinket Immortality iLvl 900 and I am unsure of which trinket to replace. Any Ideas?
      I know the Goroth trinket is technically better but I am unsure as the reliquary provides 4k Stam.

any help appreciated
    • By Moloch
      Hello,
      First of all, sorry for my english. :)
      I know there are tons of the same topics, but they didn’t help me much.
      I want start to play Legion and i can’t decide which one DK or Druid. My main is usualy tank but, I want to play also like decent dps. I think UDK/BD both are on same lvl ?
      I like both GD and BDK, I don’t know how they stand right now I know GD got some nerf and BDK buff.
      But in general is still GB best tank and what about BDK is he decent or crappy.
      Also there is one big question – 7.3 I read about GD T21 and have very bad set bonus.
      What do you think about DK bonuses. When bone shield is consumed the cooldown of DRW is reduced by 3s, 4p When DRW fades, rune regeneration is increased by 15% for 10 sec. I know it’s just PTR but still.
      I will be glad for every opinion.
      Thanks
    • By Babblet
      Location: – Horde – US Connected Realms: The Venture Co - Maelstrom - Lightninghoof

About us:
      Converge has been around since WoW Vanilla and has been raiding together since Molten Core; most of our members have been playing together for years. In its older days, when most of us where young, we were more raid focused and demanded a lot from our members. Over the years we had to adjust our playtime and priorities with a growing list of RL responsibilities and are now a two day raiding guild; we had to cut our total hours spent playing WoW but we still remain just as competitive and result oriented.

Mandatory reading.
      Basics: be ilvl 890+; 52+ points in MS Artifact Weapon.
      Raiding 101: be able to execute/avoid fight mechanics; communicate in English and use a microphone.
      We raid twice a week, a total of 6 hours; attendance of 90% is mandatory. We require you to function at 100% from the second the raid starts all the way to its end; if you cannot commit to a raiding schedule and be online on time this is not a guild for you.

Raid Times: 8:00 PM – 11:00 AM Eastern Time – Monday/Tuesday.

Recruitment: Ranged DPS / Heals / Melee DPS (Rogues only)

Legion Progression:
      EN 7/7 Heroic
      ToV 3/3 Heroic
      NH 10/10 Heroic
      ToS 4/9 Heroic

Contacts:  
      BTag: Shig#1825

*Do not send PMs, get in touch in-game; do not contact unless you are ready to transfer if accepted for a permanent raid spot.