Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Mage 25% Haste Cap: Why 2005 Haste Rating?

4 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone,

After studying the guides here in detail and reading about Fire Mages on the internet, there is something I don't understand.

I imagine that you are using the formulas from Elitist Jerks to compute the haste values for the caps, see there: http://elitistjerks....#Haste_and_DoTs

If I follow the formula for calculating the 25% Haste cap (13 ticks of Combustion), I need to do:

tick_speed_required = (10 * 1) / (13 - 0.5) = 0.8

haste_percent = 1 / (0.8 + 0.0004999) = 1.249219253581752

So I need to reach 24.9219253581752% Haste to get to that cap (according to EJ formulas). After I remove Netherwind Presence and the 5% spell haste raid buff, I obtain

haste_from_haste_rating = 1.249219253581752 / 1.03 / 1.05 = 15.50802159794282%

As far as I understand, I get 1% spell haste whenever I stack 128.05716 Haste Rating (so they say on EJ), so this means 1985.9 or 1986 Haste Rating to reach 15.50802159794282% Haste. In this case, why does it say 2005 on EJ and everywhere else on the internet, including on the guide here on Icy Veins?

I hope you can help me

Edited by Andefico

I'm not quite sure but I do know that if you have two piece T13, you only need to get to 1505 haste cap due to the tier bonus.

The catch is, there are different soft haste plateaus that will give you an extra tick of combustion. Go for the lowest and if you can still hit the next one without sacrificing crit or hit then go for it.

That's an interesting question. The formulas they give on Elitist Jerks are correct, but there is one case that they do not properly mention.

Usually, when you compute tick_speed_required, you get something like 1.8345432 second and you need to only keep a precision of 3 digits, so 1.8345432 becomes 1.834; in the same vein, 1.8319999999 becomes 1.831 (and not 1.832). It's not a rounding operation.

If tick_speed_required is an exact value, like 1.125 or 0.8, you need to remove 0.001 before proceeding. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it is.

In the case of the 25% soft haste cap with Fire Mages, you need to do:

tick_speed_required = (10 * 1) / (13 - 0.5) = 0.8
0.8 is an exact value, so we remove 0.001 before moving on, which gives 0.799

haste_percent = 1 / (0.799 + 0.0004999) = 1.2507818950321319

haste_from_haste_rating = 1.2507818950321319 / 1.03 / 1.05 = 15.65250994286933%

To obtain 15.65250994286933% Haste from Haste Rating, you need 2005 (2004.4, to be precise) Haste Rating.

Thanks for the explanation. I never imagined the formulas could get so complicated...

1 person likes this

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Friedbones
      I've been reading the changes on the new 7.1 patch from today.  I noticed that for the Arcane Mage, Arcane Charges now increase mana costs by 125% (was 100%).
      So, how is this an improvement for mana management?  I stopped playing my Arcane spec because I had trouble with mana control.  Why does increasing the cost help when the spec already is mana starved in so many ways?  I am not the best player and admit I have trouble with the mana control on this spec.  But, I don't have that trouble with either of my other mage specs (or for that matter my lock regarding mana).  
      It just doesn't make any sense to me to increase the cost when we already have a problem.  Can someone please explain this to me?
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an alliance guild on the PVE server Uldum, we are currently 4/7 mythic and looking to add 1 mage to our ranks. Union has been around since Vanilla and has had the same core of raiders for years. We pride ourselves on raiding just 10 hours per week and being able to maintain top 150 US throughout the last tiers of raiding. We raid:

Tuesday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Thursday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Sunday 7-11 EST (4-8 PST)

We are looking for a mage that not only parses high, but has good survival instincts and always comes prepared to each raid.

Hit me up in game: Stormcaster#1629
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By xzz
      Hi everyone,
      I'm new and looking for mage bindings / hotkeys especially for fire spec. :)
      Are there some good suggestions? Couldnt find any for Legion.
      I am good with a complete "layout" so that I can adapt that playstyle from.
      Thanks guys.