FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
aNamelessHenchman

Understanding Stat Priorities on Items

Hi Everyone,

Returning to D3 after an absence.

Trying to figure out the best desired stat rolls for items as per the guides, have always struggled with this.

Am deciding to play DH Shadow Impale build this season 25. For example:

The Compass Rose

1. Socket

2. Critical Hit Chance

3. Critical Hit Damage

4. Area Damage or Attack Speed

So am I looking for a ring rolled with all these stats? Because most of the time it will roll with Dexterity. So wouldn't it be unlikely that I would find such a ring? 

If I had one with say Dex,CHD,socket and Attack speed    -     should I reroll Dex into CHC? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Ancients? (as the ancient would have possible higher Dex but not higher CHC)

What if CHD was really low and Dex was really high? What if overall damage goes down because I re-roll Dex?

I'm confused. Just trying to figure out how to decide between 2 items.

EG: I have 2 Convention of Elements
Priorities are:

1. Socket

2. Critical Hit Chance

3. Critical Hit Damage

4. Area Damage or Attack Speed

Ring A (Ancient):                Ring B (non-Ancient):
+618 Dexterity                     +473 Dexterity

CHD : + 46% (rolled)            + 49% (rolled)

CHC: + 4.5%                           +5.0%

Socket                                     Socket

The game shows no difference in damage but minus in toughness and recovery on Ring B (must be secondary stats)

Which Ring is better? (should I choose?)

Thanks for any explanation of this. Especially @Deadset

I'm not an expert but from my point of view it depends on what build you are using and what particular item we want to analyse.

For example: in case of rings / amulets socket is far more important than any other stat. Your build (shadow impale) depends on relatively high CDR for perma Vengance so CDR on shoulders is far more imporant than the other defensive stats. When using a build that has a specific attack speed breakpoint then attack speed may become crucial. Or if using primary skill (GoD DH) then % skill dmg is far more important than defensive rolls on appropiate armor parts.

Generally speaking you want to have an ancient item to be able to use augments on it. But it is not always a case especially in case of jewellery, since non ancient may be way better than ancient.

Don't worry about dex imho. Rerolling dex out of items is something meant for high paragon players, probably 2k+ paragon, since with high augments and paragon you should have more than 20/30/40k main stat.

Answering your questions:

In case of the amulet, yes, you should at some point reroll DEX for CHC if all other vital stats are rolled and your paragon is high.

In case of the ring, definitely ancient one. It can be augmented, non ancient cannot.

Pretty much what Rae said. Always remember the stat priorities listed are for end game builds with plenty of paragon levels. If you have 1000 paragon points in DEX (=5000 dex), the +500 or so from a ring will be much less important than CDR or other stats...and, at that point, you can just throw those dex points back in with an augmentation. For similar reasons, in some builds (mostly magic users) you'll see a recommendation to augment or socket non-main-stat gems (e.g. a Witch Doctor socketing Rubies instead of Topaz), since the increase of armor from STR is more useful than the increase of resistance from INT.

It is LITERALLY impossible to have a Compass Rose drop with those 4 stats - you will always have to reroll one of them. But if you get one with Dex/CHC/CHD/Socket, for example, I'd definitely keep it like that in the short term. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Reicha7
      So the stat priority page of the guide ranks haste much higher than strength but the consumables guide recommends the feast for strength even though the haste food offers more haste which should make it the better choice surely?
      Hoping someone more aware of the theorycrafting to clear that up for me.

This mainly applies for raiding by the way but if there is a different answer for M+ I am interested to know the answer there.
    • By teebling
      Hey IV, I made a simple stats calculator stats calculator for wow classic in javascript.
      You select a class, then enter values into the fields for Stamina, Strength, Agility, Intellect and Spirit. As you type it updates the results which show you useful information based on what stats you entered - like dodge, and crit percentages, class-specific statistics like Ranged AP for Hunters and block for Druids in bear form etc. 
      Hopefully people find this useful for comparing item benefits and racial starting stats, or for learning how base stats affect different classes in Classic. Did you know for example that Shamans can build Block with Str items?
      I didn’t just post here to show this off - I need some help with calculating Spirit. Some users have commented that Spirit health/mana regen values are too high for various classes (for example Paladins) and was wondering if anyone here had some more information on this!
      Your boy teeb
    • By Davidga13
      Anybody can help with this? I'm using simcraft to get the stat priority for my MM's gear but it is giving me crazy results, not sure why. Agility=83.13, Ap=80.24, CritRating=0.83, HasteRating=46.84, MasteryRating=1.04, Versatility=217.72, Dps=297.72
      According to stat priority lists, such as the icy veins one, mastery should be the predominant stat. Now I understand that it can change depending on gear and other things, but this much???
      I've attached a screenshot wit the settings in simcraft, in case it helps.
      Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Sorry if it's a noob question.
      Cheers!

• By Slytha
      i have a dps monk and i noticed the greyed out stat when i was lvling my monk up and because i am a returning player i have no idea what it is and i noticed it swaps with agility when u change ur spec to mistwalker and my question is, can i use my current gear to heal or not?
    • By Exploit
      Hi everyone,
      I, like many others, are trying to maximize DPS for their respective classes, mine in particular being ret paladin.
      In general, it seems like there are several sources of information for dps for each class.
      Icy Veins Mr Robot Raidbots (Simulation Craft) Warcraft Logs Each with its own set of criteria as to what determines high dps. And I find inconsistency when bouncing between the different sources. I want to understand what am I missing when it comes to each. I will lay out what I currently understand, and would like some feedback as to what I may not be considering in each as well as some advice as to what other options I could be exploring (resources) to further the insight into whats applicable for my current state.
      Icy Veins
      For Icy Veins, in particular, the stat weights, are mostly vaguely determined. From the ret guide:

If I am reading this right, its Mastery >= Haste > Ver >= Crit = Str
      Mr Robot
      I use the addOn and I subscribe for the Best In Bags function. When I plug in my information in, the site recommends that I go with my 2pce t20 and balance around my legendaries with a focus on haste pieces (haste gems are emphasized).
      https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/a42136294c7f40b2b7ee78023306d786
      Stat weights as listed in MrRobot:
      MrRobot Stat Weights
      From what I am seeing, Crit is most emphasized, and the one crit gem + ring crit enchants were originally recommended by MrRobot here. Also another notable thing here is haste being way behind crit's potential.
      RaidBots (Simc)
      For RaidBots, I use the addOn, and play around with various items I hoard, and use the stat weights functions. Generally the feedback I get here are to stick with the current gem setup and with regards to stat weights, emphasize at my current setup with crit. It also says I should drop some of my high ilvl pieces (935 head, and 960 chest) for 4pce (915 head, lfr 890 chest)
      Gear simc:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/d3Qbkf6nqpoP4bxQ9YB2m
      Stat Weights:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/6NkVYwEaTW26FxD4wBwey4
      Vers -> crit -> mastery -> haste -> str
      (versitality first?)
      Warcraft Logs
      I mostly use Warcraft Logs to check what the top dps players (ret pallys) are hitting and what setups are they running. I don't want to specifically link player armories in here, but upon some investigation, you'll find most are just stacking haste
      ---
      I understand stat weights are relative, however it seems like everyone has different priorities, one says mastery, another vers, another crit, another haste?
      Help me understand.
      Thanks,
      Exploit