TankaBelle

Noob's Guide to shifting from leveling BrM to raiding??

6 posts in this topic

So, I love my monk. Like many I crushed the levelling process as a Brew Master, and like many sucked at transitioning to real tanking on her. Not wanting to add to our reputation I began to heal, which incidentally I love (say it with me... Fistweaving rocks). But my first love will always be tanking.

Can anyone help out with a baby steps guide to making the transition? My gear is pretty good now though I feel quite squishy. Thanks in advance for anyone brave enough to help a noob represent his class better!

Hi Tankabelle,

I am more than happy to help with some guidance.

I can give you some initial pointers but an armory link and some logs will help me to help you(armory link is a good starting point)  :)

To start you want to head to Ask mr Robot to ensure you are hit and expertise capped. As monks our mitigation is mostly generated from the use of abilities and this requires chi. If your keg smashes are missing then no chi is generated and you cant then use it to keep shuffle active.

Here is the link to the current guide.

http://www.icy-veins.com/brewmaster-monk-wow-pve-tank-guide

Rather than reinvent the wheel i would suggest having a read of the guide paying particular attention to the rotations section.

Once you have read this then return and i can clarify or give examples of anything you may not understand, or help you to apply this knowledge with emphasis on the content that you will be running.

Brewmasters are very fun IMO however knowing the level of content and your current gear levels will change the way that you should approach gearing.

Monk tanking revolves around Shuffle uptime, elusive brew uptime, and using your damage reduction abilities at the right times.

Thank you for the offer here is my profile. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/Tankabelle/simple. I hope that is what you need. As for the guide, while it is great, establishing priorities requires an understanding of the relationship between the spells but I would love some basic rotation help. More importantly I don't fully grasp the timing of the damage mitigation tools we have. Thanks a ton for offering to help

Btw, if you might go into bar setup it might be really useful to ensure proper rotations.

Thanks for the link Tankabelle.

For the Mr Robot weights i would aim for some thing like this:

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/11504312-eb00-4b54-b68b-60163c874f15

The dancing steels can be a bit pricey so the windsongs can be fine too. Windsong can be quite useful as BrM get alot of use from the secondary stats as opposed to the straight agi of the dancing steel.

To be a reasonable monk tank there is no real "basic" playstyle. It involves alot of micromanaging however for most people this is the main appeal.

I will go over a few things to help you get started but to be truly effective you need to have a good understanding of the whole toolkit as explained in the guide. This may not be the optimal playstyle but it is how i would approach it based off your comments.

Basic Rotation (assuming you keep rjw)

Pre pull: Expel harm then RJW(to generate chi and have extra damage to help with threat)

Roll to target, Keg smash, Blackout kick(to begin shuffle), tiger palm(to gain buff)

(This is where i like to throw in a taunt on the target for all the trigger happy dps but it isnt always required)

After this it is keeping Keg smash on cooldown, maintaining the tiger palm debuff on the boss and keeping your shuffle active through the use of Black out kick. Expel harm should be used to self heal and generate chi as much as your energy will allow.

This is the tricky part, you do not want to be using any of your energy using abilities that will cause you to not have enough energy for when Keg smash will come off cooldown.

You also dont want to let your shuffle buff drop off. The beauty of the shuffle is that the durations stack up. For example if you have 2 seconds of shuffle left and you use Blackout kick the 2 seconds will be added to the new shuffle applied. So if you are using BoK as often as your chi will allow you can over a long duration have enough shuffle that it wont drop off too fast and gives you a little breathing room.

I am sure there are many ways to track your shuffle and Tiger palm buffs. I use the addon "Need to Know" and have them front and center in bright colors as a reminder.

To be effective you will also need to manage your guard elusive brew and cooldowns depending on your talent choices.

Guard should not be used on cooldown however sometimes it may feel like it at times. Using Tiger palm as a filler spell when you have no energy or chi to spend will keep your "empowered guard" buff active and is shown on your bars when the guard icon is glowing. Your guards should always be empowered when they are used. Also note that if you are going to cast guard and expel harm in quick succession try to cast the guard first because of the self heal buff it provides when active(if your chi allows it, sometimes the EH may be required to generate the chi for the Guard).

When your melee swings crit they have a chance to grant you elusive brew stacks. As you are not 25man heroic raiding then the crit build will be more optimal for you.

With higher amounts of crit it is possible to have a very high uptime on elusive brew. The stack caps at 15 so if it hits 15 stacks be sure to use it or you will waste any future stacks because you are capped. Depending on the nature of the damage and the content you will be beginning on i would recommend using it every time it hits 15 stacks until you have had practice then you can look at mastering the timing. 

The last thing i will mention so that you arent overwhelmed with a wall of text smile.png

Purify, this allows you to remove the stagger damage you are taking. A rookie mistake is using this too often. The chi you use to purify can often be better spent on maintaining shuffle, using guard or even expel harm especially at lower difficulty levels. Try to only use purify under heavy(red) stagger(this is when the purify ability will glow). Even in the instance of a heavy stagger it still might not be appropriate to purify. Knowing when and if to purify will come with practice and as you become more familiar with the encounters and damage that you will take to certain abilities.

Start with this and see how you go.  

2 people like this

Thank you thank you thank you. Understanding the why of things helps to perform them better.

Hi Tanka Belle,

A good Add-On I use for pretty much everything is WeakAuras. When monk tanking is specially useful for tracking stagger, shuffle, CDs, Elusive Brew, almost everything. Here you can find a good guide to Weak Auras for monks http://sunniersartofwar.com/brewmaster-weak-auras/ ... I've read in some forums, I believe it was MMO-Champion, that there is a good brewmaster addon that does this too (but to be honest I find no need of switching Weak Auras for that with Sunnier's strings). 

Another thing you could look into is Sunnier's (one of the best monk tanks out there) guides: http://sunniersartofwar.com/brewmaster-guide/   .... You'll find plenty information in her page. It's quite extensive but very recommendable. The "rotation" section needs special attention, she'll go from beginner to advance skills adding spells and CDs as difficulty increases. 

Hope it helps! 

Edited by kika

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Alwaysmiddle
      Hi! CatBus Raiding Academy. @Arthas-US 
      Voice Program: Discord
      Our Current Progression: 
      http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/arthas/Catbus+Raiding+Academy
      Our Raiding Schedule: 
      Fri/Sat 22:00 to 1:00 EST (EST is also server time) 
      Sunday Afternoon ~2:30pm EST is optional (non-progression) farm day. We switch between normal mode, and heroic mode raids.
      Guild Summary:
      -Building a team around 25-30 Mythic Level Raiders
      -2 Nights/ 6 hours Schedule, success in raiding doesn't come with cost of your life!(Not Anymore)
      -Very little guild hierarchy
      -Being a friendly and helpful guild for those who are actively seeking help to improve
      -Mythic plus dungeon runs!
      -4 Nights Trial Period
      Loot rules:
      EPGP is used to distribute loot in our raid, loot rules will be explained fully upon applying, the aim is to distribute loot fairly and accurately.
      You can find our logs at:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/116404
      You can apply here:
      http://tinyurl.com/jbjagyv
      Mythic/Mythic+ legion dungeon logs will be strongly recommended and some applicants may be requested to run a mythic dungeon with us.
      You can contact us @ alwaysmiddle#1413 (Main Recruiter) or soulonfire#1849 (Recruiter) for any questions.
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 7/7 Mythic EN+ 1/3 Mythic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: HIGH DEMAND!
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Badsquishy
      <Rage Pillage Murder> 
      http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/korgath/Rage+Pillage+Murder

RPM is recruiting. We are a semi-hardcore raiding guild looking to progress through Emerald Nightmare and are looking for the following classes/roles to fill our roster. 

Ranged DPS: Any.
      Healers: Druid, Priest, Shaman

Most of all we value versatility; those players who have multiple viable specs and will place the needs of the raid group over their personal needs.

We currently have raiding groups:
      Progression/Main Raid (7/7M, 3/3H) running T/W/Sun 8:30-10:00pm server 
      Causal/Alt Raid (7/7H & 3/3N) running TH/Sat 8:00pm-10:30pm server.

We also have weekly organized RBG's on Monday/Thursday at 8:00pm server.

Add Bravox#1395, Equilibrium#1971, or Badsquishy#1265 to message for more information about raiding.
      Add Deathundone#1802 for more information about PvP.
      Or apply online at Ragepillagemurder.enjin.com
    • By rebkah
      Hello, everybody! We're Heralds of Strife, a Horde raiding guild on Wyrmrest Accord. We are looking to pick up more players for upcoming Nighthold progression.
      What We're About

Heralds of Strife is a warm, welcoming community. Our current members range from previous top US 34th raiders to promising newcomers that are hungry to learn and improve. When we are not raiding, we are actively playing many games, from Hearthstone to Overwatch and many others that our guild members have suggested. Heralds of Strife is more than just a raiding guild on World of Warcraft, we are friends who are looking to have fun and get to know each other in our free time. That said, our primary focus will always be to complete the most challenging content that World of Warcraft has to offer during its relevance.

Current Progression
      7/7 Mythic EN
      3/3 Heroic ToV

Raid Schedule
      Tuesday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Saturday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Monday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST

Loot System

We use a Loot Council with defined parameters. This is broken down into several categories:
      Attendance Performance Attitude Biggest Upgrade Recent Wins
      We publicly record attendance and items received (via RCLootCouncil). Our devoted, down-to-earth leadership has the experience and knowledge needed to ensure upgrades are given to the proper players for progression while maintaining a fair, friendly, and entertaining guild atmosphere.

Trial Period

Heralds of Strife is a raiding guild primarily. As such, we do have a trial period for new recruits. With that being said, new raiders will have a 2 week trial period. This trial period begins at the start of the first raid upon joining, and ends on the last raid of the 2nd week.
      The three core principles expected of trials:

Reliability Positivity Adaptability
      Reliability: We expect our trial raiders to show up for raids, on time, and prepared with the basic necessities to do the raid efficiently. We also expect our trials to have some knowledge on encounters, but we are more than willing to help teach and nurture our raiders. Make a commitment with us and we will do our very best to make sure that you're taken care of. We want to get to know you, as you're not just numbers on our spreadsheet. Here in Heralds of Strife,YOU matter.

Positivity: We encourage our trial raiders, and our members, in general, to have a positive attitude, ranging from casual conversation to raid progression. There will be nights where progression might seem rough, but, pushing forward with a positive mindset are one of the keys to success. C'mon team, we can do this!

Adaptability: Our leadership takes the opportunity to analyze our performance logs after each raid night, offering those who are lagging behind some constructive assistance in the long-term goal of improving the player. Our team is only as strong as the player next to us, so we want to work together to overcome any obstacle that may be hindering our performance. Our motto is "iron sharpens iron".

Recruiting

Tank:
      -Warrior, Paladin
      Healer:
      -Shaman, Druid, Paladin
      Melee:
      -Warrior, Demon Hunter, Death Knight
      Ranged:
      -Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Druid

How To Join

Fill out an application @ heralds.wowlaunch.com. If we're interested in your application, we will reach out to you ASAP for a follow-up interview in Discord.

References:

(Battletags)
      Lorvid - Lorvid#1749 (GM)
      Ritticus - Ritticus#1171 (Co-GM)
      (Discord)
      Rebkah - Rebkah#1877 (Officer)
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H & 3/3H Recruiting All Players for our raid group and for Mythics+.

About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus mid-Cataclysm. We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids or any players interested in joining our Mythics+. Our guild is mostly active at night, anywhere from 5pm PST till about 12am PST (varies). We have a casual-ish atmosphere with a serious desire for progression.

What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids (requires 20). At this moment, we are open to all players; we are seeking out tanks, healers, and DPS (prefer ranged). We are open to both new and returning players. As mentioned above, we are also seeking players (any class/spec) that may be interested in joining our Mythics+. We run Mythics+ almost every night. While we prefer a geared player, we value a positive attitude over experience. Any players who are interested and active at the times mentioned above, please contact us. We are also open to players interested in a "filler" type role (can make some raid days but not all).

Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Curse for our raids. RCLoot Council is a required add-on if you plan to raid with us. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. We encourage trials to join us in raids, dungeons, our VOIP, and/or even in other games. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster.

If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!