FORUMS
TankaBelle

Noob's Guide to shifting from leveling BrM to raiding??

So, I love my monk. Like many I crushed the levelling process as a Brew Master, and like many sucked at transitioning to real tanking on her. Not wanting to add to our reputation I began to heal, which incidentally I love (say it with me... Fistweaving rocks). But my first love will always be tanking.

Can anyone help out with a baby steps guide to making the transition? My gear is pretty good now though I feel quite squishy. Thanks in advance for anyone brave enough to help a noob represent his class better!

Hi Tankabelle,

I am more than happy to help with some guidance.

I can give you some initial pointers but an armory link and some logs will help me to help you(armory link is a good starting point)  :)

To start you want to head to Ask mr Robot to ensure you are hit and expertise capped. As monks our mitigation is mostly generated from the use of abilities and this requires chi. If your keg smashes are missing then no chi is generated and you cant then use it to keep shuffle active.

Here is the link to the current guide.

https://www.icy-veins.com/brewmaster-monk-wow-pve-tank-guide

Rather than reinvent the wheel i would suggest having a read of the guide paying particular attention to the rotations section.

Once you have read this then return and i can clarify or give examples of anything you may not understand, or help you to apply this knowledge with emphasis on the content that you will be running.

Brewmasters are very fun IMO however knowing the level of content and your current gear levels will change the way that you should approach gearing.

Monk tanking revolves around Shuffle uptime, elusive brew uptime, and using your damage reduction abilities at the right times.

Thank you for the offer here is my profile. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/Tankabelle/simple. I hope that is what you need. As for the guide, while it is great, establishing priorities requires an understanding of the relationship between the spells but I would love some basic rotation help. More importantly I don't fully grasp the timing of the damage mitigation tools we have. Thanks a ton for offering to help

Btw, if you might go into bar setup it might be really useful to ensure proper rotations.

Thanks for the link Tankabelle.

For the Mr Robot weights i would aim for some thing like this:

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/11504312-eb00-4b54-b68b-60163c874f15

The dancing steels can be a bit pricey so the windsongs can be fine too. Windsong can be quite useful as BrM get alot of use from the secondary stats as opposed to the straight agi of the dancing steel.

To be a reasonable monk tank there is no real "basic" playstyle. It involves alot of micromanaging however for most people this is the main appeal.

I will go over a few things to help you get started but to be truly effective you need to have a good understanding of the whole toolkit as explained in the guide. This may not be the optimal playstyle but it is how i would approach it based off your comments.

Basic Rotation (assuming you keep rjw)

Pre pull: Expel harm then RJW(to generate chi and have extra damage to help with threat)

Roll to target, Keg smash, Blackout kick(to begin shuffle), tiger palm(to gain buff)

(This is where i like to throw in a taunt on the target for all the trigger happy dps but it isnt always required)

After this it is keeping Keg smash on cooldown, maintaining the tiger palm debuff on the boss and keeping your shuffle active through the use of Black out kick. Expel harm should be used to self heal and generate chi as much as your energy will allow.

This is the tricky part, you do not want to be using any of your energy using abilities that will cause you to not have enough energy for when Keg smash will come off cooldown.

You also dont want to let your shuffle buff drop off. The beauty of the shuffle is that the durations stack up. For example if you have 2 seconds of shuffle left and you use Blackout kick the 2 seconds will be added to the new shuffle applied. So if you are using BoK as often as your chi will allow you can over a long duration have enough shuffle that it wont drop off too fast and gives you a little breathing room.

I am sure there are many ways to track your shuffle and Tiger palm buffs. I use the addon "Need to Know" and have them front and center in bright colors as a reminder.

To be effective you will also need to manage your guard elusive brew and cooldowns depending on your talent choices.

Guard should not be used on cooldown however sometimes it may feel like it at times. Using Tiger palm as a filler spell when you have no energy or chi to spend will keep your "empowered guard" buff active and is shown on your bars when the guard icon is glowing. Your guards should always be empowered when they are used. Also note that if you are going to cast guard and expel harm in quick succession try to cast the guard first because of the self heal buff it provides when active(if your chi allows it, sometimes the EH may be required to generate the chi for the Guard).

When your melee swings crit they have a chance to grant you elusive brew stacks. As you are not 25man heroic raiding then the crit build will be more optimal for you.

With higher amounts of crit it is possible to have a very high uptime on elusive brew. The stack caps at 15 so if it hits 15 stacks be sure to use it or you will waste any future stacks because you are capped. Depending on the nature of the damage and the content you will be beginning on i would recommend using it every time it hits 15 stacks until you have had practice then you can look at mastering the timing. 

The last thing i will mention so that you arent overwhelmed with a wall of text smile.png

Purify, this allows you to remove the stagger damage you are taking. A rookie mistake is using this too often. The chi you use to purify can often be better spent on maintaining shuffle, using guard or even expel harm especially at lower difficulty levels. Try to only use purify under heavy(red) stagger(this is when the purify ability will glow). Even in the instance of a heavy stagger it still might not be appropriate to purify. Knowing when and if to purify will come with practice and as you become more familiar with the encounters and damage that you will take to certain abilities.

Start with this and see how you go.  

• Like 2

Hi Tanka Belle,

A good Add-On I use for pretty much everything is WeakAuras. When monk tanking is specially useful for tracking stagger, shuffle, CDs, Elusive Brew, almost everything. Here you can find a good guide to Weak Auras for monks http://sunniersartofwar.com/brewmaster-weak-auras/ ... I've read in some forums, I believe it was MMO-Champion, that there is a good brewmaster addon that does this too (but to be honest I find no need of switching Weak Auras for that with Sunnier's strings). 

Another thing you could look into is Sunnier's (one of the best monk tanks out there) guides: http://sunniersartofwar.com/brewmaster-guide/   .... You'll find plenty information in her page. It's quite extensive but very recommendable. The "rotation" section needs special attention, she'll go from beginner to advance skills adding spells and CDs as difficulty increases. 

Hope it helps! 

Edited by kika

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Athlios
      GUILD INFORMATION:
      Guild name: Gordian Knot
      Faction: Horde
      Realm: Draenor (EU)
      Realm Type: Normal - PVE
      Current progress: Ny'alotha 11/12M
      Raid days: Wednesday, Sunday, Monday
      Raid times: 20.00-23.00 CET
      (Full application details on website)
      RECRUITING FOR BFA RAIDING:
      High Demand
       Priest: Shadow Medium Demand:
       Mage: All specs  Shaman: Elemental  Warlock: All specs Low Demand
      None at the moment Also, in order to be able to join our main team straight away, you need to meet the requirement for our current progress, which are around 470+ item level equipped, around 90+ levels on your necklace and the least rank 15 and 107 corruption resistance on your cloak.
      We are also open to discuss a possible merge and get a smaller group or guild that is struggling to get their raids going, or that they want to advance to the next level. Most of us are versatile people and we can possibly reroll to achieve a good composition after a merge.
      Any social and friendly person who wants to join us for kicks and giggles is welcome. Just poke any of our officers online and you will get an invite for a social spot (no raiding spot).
      ABOUT US:
      Gordian Knot is a semi-hardcore raiding guild that consists of experienced raiders with some of them having raiding experience as far back as Vanilla.
      We are a friendly group who enjoys World of Warcraft and loves raiding. We have fun and joke around but when bosses need to go down then all is serious! We wish for all our members to enjoy the game as much as we do and we expect raiders to maintain a 80% attendance per month.
      We also enjoy a variety of other activities such as running a lot of Mythic+ dungeons doing alt-runs, achievement runs etc.
      We generally aim to push Mythic+ to get +15 keys done for the weekly chests. We do this in spirit to help everyone in the guild getting their highest possible gear reward from their weekly cache (socials included).
      There are a few things we hold in high value but above else we value friendliness and politeness towards guildies and other players and skilfulness when it comes to the more serious parts of the game.
      CURRENTLY:
      We raid 3 nights a week, Wednesdays, Sundays and Mondays, from 20:00 till 23:00 server time.
      Although we are a 20-man guild, we usually run an extra group in order to get more people to experience the joys of raiding, help new raiders learn the Knot’s way to down bosses and gearing up. Usually, these runs happen on Saturdays. Also, every Friday and sometimes Thursdays too, we’re on RBGs killing alliance scums or on other in game activities!
      Our current guild progress is 11/12 in Ny'alotha mythic, and we're focusing on getting further Mythic progress. Our aim is to always progress as much as possible but also to have a relaxed and fun atmosphere at the same time!
      If you're interested in joining Gordian Knot, please fill in our application form, located at https://gordian-knot.eu/apply/, alternatively please whisper one of our officers:

On Bnet:
      Leleko - Leleko#2235
      Narweena - Sephyra#2517
      Skilhunter - SkilDome#2573
      Snootdog - Demonic#2375
      On Discord:
      Leleko - Leleko#7934
      Narweena - Narweena#7029
      Skilhunter - Skildome#8766
      Snootdog - Snoot#1840
      PS. We're always open to group applications or guild merging discussions.
      We are also open and welcome social applications.
    • By Ser3nity
      Safety not Guaranteed is an English speaking Alliance raiding guild on Emerald Dream. We raid 3 times a week and are mainly focused on mythic raiding.
      Current Progress:
      11/12M Ny'alotha
      Recruitment:
      We're currently progressing on N'zoth with a set team of raiders so keep this in mind when applying. Your application will still be considered for farm content and Shadowlands, though very exceptional applications which may be placed into current N'zoth progression team. Thank you
      Ranged DPS: Priest, Warlock, Hunter, Mage
      Melee DPS: None
      Healers: None
      Our raiding schedule is:
      - Thursday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      - Monday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      - Tuesday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      Apply here: https://safetynotguaranteed.wixsite.com/guild
      Even if we are not actively recruiting your class, we will consider any exceptional applications.
      About us:
      Safety not Guaranteed (SnG) was initially formed by a small group of friends in early MoP, raiding 10man heroic. Later during the expansion we expanded our roster to a 20man team, where we cleared SoO mythic as a guild. Many of us have been playing together since as early as WotLK, and have friendships with each other that extend outside the game as well.
      Our goal ever since the guild was formed has been to progress through content at a steady pace without hardcore hours, while having a good time. We aim to clear each tier before the next one is released, and have managed to maintain a steady raiding roster throughout the years, clearing most mythic content in WoD and Legion with cutting edge achievements, and plan to continue doing so in BfA.
      What we offer:
      A structured mythic raiding team and raiding times. We start invites 19:45 and begin to clear trash so we can have the first pulls at 20:00 A steady guild with a good community and good guild atmosphere. You may encounter some trolling during your stay. A focused attitude during progression, and relaxed attitude during farm content. We like to chat and have fun, but focus during difficult content. A desire to raid. We often run an extra raid day on the 1st week of a new raid tier. This is 100% optional, but most people are excited to get into a new instance. Additionally we often run some sort of alt raids on the weekends (100% optional), and do a lot of mythic+ content within the guild.
      What we want from you:
      Attendance. We expect a minimum of 80% attendance, though most of our raiders have near to 100%. We run a small roster to minimize rotation, and want to be able to rely on you. Commitment. We don't want someone who is looking to join, get geared and then leave. We have a 2-3 week trial period during which we will control gearing while we get to know you. Honesty. If you're having problems within the guild, or have real life issues, we'd like to hear rather than you just disappearing. Talk to us. Be prepared! This means reading up on new fights, having consumables (flask, pots, food, runes), gemming and enchanting properly, and being on time! Communication. We want you to know how to communicate both verbally and in writing. We have a guild Discord we use for our raids and other games! Raiding awareness. We want you to not stand in fire, unless it's required... Progression oriented attitude. Everyone makes mistakes, but learning is part of progression, so we value people who continue to improve over time. Understanding. Sometimes, things don't always go smoothly. We may hit a wall on a specific boss for a while, or you may have to sit for someone else during a progression raid. This is part of mythic raiding. We try to treat everyone fairly, and are open to feedback.
      For more information you can add an officer to chat: Joana#2806, Kitty#2896, Menetherin#2691, Cabbageman#21462
      Or visit our website: https://safetynotguaranteed.wixsite.com/guild
    • By scotti
      Hello from <Jynx>!
      We are an English speaking Mythic Raiding Guild based on the EU server Kazzak. We have an enjoyable raid atmosphere for our raiders but still serious and focused towards getting cutting edge.

Current Progression
      Ny'alotha (M) - 5/12 Ny'alotha (HC) - 12/12 Ny'alotha (N) - 11/12 Eternal Palace (M) - 4/8 Eternal Palace (HC) - 8/8 Recruitment
      We are always on the lookout for exceptional players of any class, that said, we also accommodate social players and hold many Social and Alt raids for every guild member to participate in. If you are interested in joining <Jynx> please head over to our Discord server; http://discord.gg/jynxguild
      We are specifically looking for the following classes for current raid progression:
      DPS:
      Mage (Fire)
      Druid (Balance)
      Shaman (Elemental)
      Healers
      Shaman (Resto)
      Druid (Resto)
      If you're interested or would like to apply, please go to discord.gg/jynxguild
      What can Jynx offer you?
      We give you the opportunity to participate in and down new raid bosses within the latest tiers. We provide help to both old and new players and allow you to progress as a potential Mythic Raider if you have proven yourself to be better than an already existing member of your respective role/class.
      We also boast a strong officer team that offers support in and out of raiding hours who combined have over 15 years experience in raiding. We have different Mythic+ teams within the guild as well so you're bound to find something you love doing!
      Raiding Schedule
      Our raid days are Sundays & Wednesdays with invites going out at 19:45 ST and the raid ending at 22:00 ST as we are a Mythic Progression guild raiding only 2 days a week we try to keep breaks to a minimum on progress bosses.
      Alongside this, we host regular Social and Alt raids for all members. 
      About us
      Jynx was founded by the current Guild Master and a small bunch of friends back in Wrath of the Lich King, starting with a small ten-man team and steadily grew into a large twenty-man that cleared all available content at veritable difficulties at the time. After a while, the guild decided to venture from alliance to horde back in 2018, sadly just after real-life intervened and that forced the guild to take a time out during the raid content of BOD. 
      Jynx then reformed and started progressing through Eternal Palace content, since this we have gone from strength to strength and currently stand at 5/12 in the current tier.
      A few things about you
      Although we are always recruiting exceptional players we do expect some things in return from our raiders:
      A working Headset & Microphone for those wanting to raid with us, we use Discord for all of our communications, including sign-ups; Committed players, that can raid to our Schedule; A great sense of humour, as we do like to have playful banter and jokes; There is no drama tolerance in our guild; Be a nice person - We know and don’t expect everyone to get on all the time, but if you are found to be consistently causing problems, you will be removed; Come prepared to raids, this includes but not limited to; checking tactics, and correct consumables If we sound like the guild you’d like to be a part of and would like to know more about us. 
      You can contact one of our officers through Battle.net for further information or through our Discord server: http://discord.gg/jynxguild
      Guild Master
      Emmi2014#2825 (Luairna)
      Officers
      Astro#21726 (Zeohn)
      Sphinxxuk#2524 (Scótti)

• By Lizard
      Hello there!
      It is my vision on build Yrel for quick matches and non-high (diamond/ml/gml) league.
      Wanna show it, because I disagree with guide, what is presented here. Guide https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/yrel-build-guide maybe good, but it designed not for casual players.
      Following this guide, you'll pretty good brusher-tank (Yrel have 2679 HP right now on level 1, only 8 characters in game have more HP), with super-mobility and good damage after 16 lvl. Our specialisation - defend objectives on map. Noone in this game now can't do it better, then Yrel.
      My prefer talent build is: 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 3, 4.
      Another form: Dauntless, Gift of the Naaru, Divine Steed, Sacred Ground, Aldor Peacekeeper, Holy Wrath, Seraphim.
      Also, if you have a good tank, and all what you team need is damage, or if we on bad map to us (see below) : 1, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1/4.
      Another form: Light of Karabor, Hand of Freedom, Holy Avenger, Ardent Defender, Repentance, Holy Wrath, Word of Glory/Seraphim.
      Our playstyle: do a simple brusher work, before get level 4, or start ivent on map. After level 4, try be near our teammates, for get maximum profit from Gift of the Naaru, but without fanatism 😄. After level 7, you can soak exp from 2 lines with Divine Steed, try get more exp to team (again, without fanatism, on largest maps like warhead juction it will be dumb). When your team get ultimates, start playing more aggresively.
      Mid game: defend targets, defend teams, kill everything what moving (and what doesn't moving - move it and kill! 😄) with help some assassin in your team. Help to push and get camps. After level 16, when you pick Holy Wrath, you may get camp solo, and it will be fast (before 16 lvl, you also can do it, but it will too long - waste of time and mana).
      Late game: PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH! You have all things to win. Just win teamfight (be prepared), get camps and go to core. Not in our plans play in deep late (but we can!), then just finish game.
      More about talents:
      In first tier (1 lvl), Dauntless give 50% kinetic armor for 2.5 sec - is too many to be skiped, any autoattack assassin will be hate you, but if opponents haven't autoattack assassin, pick Light of Karabor for synergy with 13'th level talent (Aldor Peacekeeper) and still have good sustain.  Maraad's Insight deal smallest profit in late game, and most games will be long, because we're in game 😎. 
      Second tier (4 lvl), Gift of the Naaru give to you free (!) healing to teammate on 7 sec cooldown (!!!), what can help to survive low-hp teammate, and he can escape, but if you trust in your healer, you can pick Hand of Freedom. Aegis of Light just doesn't work - we initiate fights, or follow opponent, or run away. No useful case to team.
      Third tier (7 lvl) - all talents can be used, but I prefer Divine Steed, because it is + mobility (fast soak exp on 2 lines, complete it and go to objective on map, for example), +1 option to escape, +1 option to following low-hp opponent to kill him (especially after 16lvl). If you not like it, or wanna deal more damage, you can pick Holy Avenger for combo like a D+E+Full-E. Righteous Momentum, truthly, can be picked only in full-party, when your team need more ground control. I don't see any other cases for it, but talent still can be picked.
      Ultimate (10 lvl) - always Sacred Ground, exeptly maps, where you absolutely doesn't need defend objective, or if you already have good tank with zoning option. 45 sec cd is so small, what sometimes it can be ready when your Sacred Ground still active. 😄
      Ardent Defender we can pick, when we have a good tank, who know what he need to do. Usually, you get it before level 10. It's best save ability in game, also 120 sec cd is not so long, but we do less profit to team then what we can do with Sacred Ground.
      Fifth tier (13 lvl) - all talents are teoritly playable, but I prefer Aldor Peacekeeper, because it's good combo: instant Divine Purpose + Vindication, you got heal and kinetic shield, heal teammate, and you can tank 'cuz -25% damage for all sources near you, and under Sacred Ground you will be unbreakable, especially if you chosen Light of Karabor in tier 1. Repentance you can pick when Holy Avenger already picked in third tier - more control is more control. 😄 Also wanna clarify, what Velen's Chosen minorly upgrade damage, and have less profit then Aldor Peacekeeper and Repentance.
      Sixth tier (16 lvl) - always Holy Wrath, because it greatly increase our damage. From this moment, you will be a great threat to opponents, and they'll try to kill you, switching damage in you first, but they can't kill you 😄 (R+D+Q). Templar's Verdict, theoretically, can be use in well-played team to increase team damage and target kills, but for ultimate benefit of this talent, I repeat, we need at least 2 teammate with good fast switch in priority target for fast kill.
      Seventh tier (20 lvl) - depends of talent in fourth tier (Ultimate). If Ardent Defender picked - upgrade it (Word of Glory), exept if you have good aoe healer (like a morales/alextraza/brightwing/etc.). If Sacred Ground - pick Seraphim. Active ability,  every 10 seconds (!) deal 2 sec unstoppable - it's always full charged basic ability, what cannot be interrupted for blinding/stun/sleep/etc., also it's another option to escape.
      Upgrading Sacred Ground with Hallowed Ground - useless, because if you used it - stay here to death, but give time to escape to your teammates, in other cases you win teamfight ever, becuase on level 20 and higher, most teamfights end with death 3-5 ppl in team.
      Bubble Hearth - garbadge, if you wanna win. Ultimate escape, but if you find yourself in a situation, where you want to press this ability, your team will lose teamfight, and then - that game. 
      Leaving your team in the minority is not the way of true light protectors!
      Our stronger maps: Braxis Holdout, Cursed Hollow, Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, Warhead Junction, Volskaya Foundry.
      Our weaker maps: Tomb of the Spider Queen, Battlefield of Eternity, Blackheart's Bay (?).
      Our nightmare: Johanna, Garrosh, Malthael, Rexxar.
      Tips: 
      Avoid downtime Divine Purpose! If you're not in fight, heal yourself instantly with Divine Purpose + Vindication, it cost no mana, and also you help to your healer (especially with Gift of the Naaru). If you pick Holy Avenger, start full-prepared Avenging Wrath without Divine Purpose, for combining it after first use. You start fight, and keep your damage strong full time in duel. It is good idea to use full-prepared Avenging Wrath in backline opponent team to help your assassins kill prefer target with Divine Purpose + Righteous Hammer, or separate and destract them healer. When you use Avenging Wrath just deal damage, don't wait full charge - it spell have a fixed damage, and charging in this situation is waste of time and damage from autoattack. Will be glad to any responce!
      Thanks for reading!
      See you in Nexus!
    • By Skaboy
      <Fun is for Casuals> is a serious but casual horde guild on US-Hyjal. We are serious about raiding without the intense hours. Even when recruitment status is none, we will accept exceptional applications for all classes. For a full list of what we're looking for check out https://funisforcasuals.enjin.com . 
      Our raid times are Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00PM to 8:00PM server (PST) with raid invitations sent out a few minutes prior to that.

We're interested in you if you fit the following criteria:
      Raid attendance is essential. We don't want people sitting on the bench but we also want to make sure we're raiding 6 hours per week. We expect you to be available for at least 90% of our raids. Be on time and prepared for raids. This includes flasks and other consumables. Discord is mandatory and a working mic is desired. You're appropriately geared for our current content. Effort and thought have been put into your gear/gem/enchant choices. You wouldn't show up for a job interview looking like a scrub, why would you apply to a guild with improper gems or some insane spec? You're up to date with your class. We expect our raiders to perform to the best of their abilities. You have a computer that's not run with hamster power or requires a hand crank. Some encounters are taxing on a computer's resources so if your toon can't even handle Orgrimmar it's not likely to do well with 20+ whelps that need AOE'ing.
      You may be interested in us because:
      <Fun is for Casuals> uses the personal loot system. There is no loot council, or DKP. We won't eat your babies the first time you stand in something you have no business being in. Repeatedly do it and we'll break out the bibs and BBQ sauce. We provide a limited amount of consumables and flasks on hard mode raid nights. Discord isn't a circus during raids. We're focused on the job at hand and you should be too. We don't want someone to miss a an interrupt because they were distracted by fart jokes. We are not interested in you if you fit the following criteria:
      You roll on BoE items then sell them. Unwilling/unable to spend an entire evening on one boss during progression. While this is rare, it can happen. Drama queens. If you have a problem bring it up to E. This is his job. Don't announce it in guild chat or during a raid. Your issue will have nothing to do with 99% of the guild. You are 17 or younger. We try to keep guild and discord chat PG-13 but occasionally a few four letter words appear out of nowhere. Additionally, we don't want someone's mom interrupting their raiding to get homework or the dishes done. Follow the instructions at https://funisforcasuals.enjin.com/ under the Recruitment tab if you would like to apply.
      If you have any question, feel free to contact E. at DbD#1309