FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
JuanJuany

What am I doing wrong? Take 2. Now with more logs

Logs! http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PJM6pHZN2x1CjFmQ/  

Armory! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dunemaul/Warlog/advanced

Problem:I want to be doing 400k dps on Juggernaut heroic. And just generally improve, as I feel like I should be doing way more single target dps.

I brought warcraft logs, and am ready to accept critique. 

What i think im doing wrong:  

I refresh immolate at 7 seconds, even if the previous immolate was fully buffed and the new one is buffless. I'm wondering if im doing it correctly? or i should let the buffed immo run out?

Not going to break 400k DPS with the back off strat.  2 minutes into the fight, your raid DPS goes from over 2M to 0.  You're going to need to position him better and deal with more barrages if you want to keep your DPS high through Seismic Activity.

Here is your DPS up to the 2:18 mark: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PJM6pHZN2x1CjFmQ/#type=damage-done&source=26&start=6129364&end=6267740&by=source

You're sustaining 370k to this point. 

Here is your DPS from 3:04 to the kill: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PJM6pHZN2x1CjFmQ/#type=damage-done&source=26&by=source&start=6314270&end=6381330

You're sustaining 300k from this point on.  Considering your kill time was 4:13, I'd say your DPS is more like 335k than the 300k reported on the logs because of your period of inactivity. 

Your item level is 578, so that tells me there's some room to grow.  Let's run through the check list...

2 potions?  Check

Dark Soul on CD?  Check

Doomguard?  Check

RNG?  Bad.  Check this - only 2 Tempus Repit procs in 4 minutes.  That's some really bad luck.  Only 4 Toxic Power procs for 15.7% uptime - that's some cruddy luck, too. 

Let's check your Chaos Bolts since your Incinerate damage was so high.  Here are all of your Chaos Bolt casts: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PJM6pHZN2x1CjFmQ/#type=damage-done&source=26&ability=116858&view=events

Now let's check your REAL Chaos Bolts by overlaying your procs with your CB casts: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PJM6pHZN2x1CjFmQ/#type=casts&source=26&pins=0%24Main%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24100674872.0.0.Warlock%24false%24113858%5E0%24Main%24%23909049%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24100674872.0.0.Warlock%24false%24146046%5E0%24Main%24%23a04D8A%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24100674872.0.0.Warlock%24false%24148906&ability=116858

Found the problem.  You got 3 Chaos Bolts off early with procs which was good.  Then you went almost 10 more seconds without casting another while Expanded Mind was up.  You got another Toxic Power proc just after Bloodlust which you got 1 CB off on which was good.  Then you sporadically popped off a CB until DS came up, Expanded Mind proc'd, and Toxic Power proc'd - you got all 3 - and you casted 0 Chaos Bolts during this trifecta period.  You got two during your Dark Soul, then both trinkets proc'd and you had no Burning Embers left.  This is why your Incinerate beat your Chaos Bolt damage and why your DPS is below 400k.  You should be tracking the ICD of Expanded Mind.  It looks like you either got a late proc or something is going on, but with the strat you're doing, you're going to be standing alone unable to hit the boss with both trinkets running AND Dark Soul.

Diagnosis: poor snapshotting with Chaos Bolt with a side of poor strategy for maximizing damage.

Cure: move boss and change position so you have 100% uptime on boss.  Do a better job of putting Chaos Bolts down with trinket procs.

What i think im doing wrong:  

I refresh immolate at 7 seconds, even if the previous immolate was fully buffed and the new one is buffless. I'm wondering if im doing it correctly? or i should let the buffed immo run out?

That's not right.  Ride the buffed one out until the last tick, then refresh it. 

Did you/he have advanced combat logging enabled? Can't seem to be able to see your Burning Ember resources graph, which prevents us from knowing if you were ember capped.

Regardless, Incinerate did more overall damage than Chaos Bolt, which is a warning sign already.

Lets work from the ground up.

Immolate uptime - 84.24%. This should be at least 90-95% considering you aren't doing the knockback strat (4 minute kill so I assume not, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm basing the rest of my post off of this assumption. NINJA EDIT: Hmm you do actually have inactivity for what seems to be the whole of p2, as does your mage. Regardless your guild should stop being pussies and just DPS the boss in p2 with current ilvls).

Cooldown Usage - Good for the most part. You managed to sneak in a third Dark Soul in the last 10 seconds or so, but Bindings wasn't kind to you this fight - first proc wasn't until your initial Dark Soul was over half way done.

Second Potion Usage - Shit. You used it in execute, but without either Dark Soul/PBI or a KTT proc. Should probably have used it at the 2 minute mark when boss shifts into siege mode. You had Dark Soul + Bindings + KTT at that point. Next kill should (touch wood) be done in under 4 minutes, meaning no third Dark Soul/PBI, so this is likely the best place to use it, other than saving it for a potential KTT proc in execute, where I'd use it just before getting a 4pc proc, and dumping 3-4 huge shadowburns for a strong finish. 

Average Chaos Bolt - 1.27M. This is passable, as I concede that you're 5ilvl lower than myself with about 3k less mastery. For comparison, on last night's Garrosh attempts, my average chaos bolt was around 1.55M. I think your late bindings will have hurt you here, so this would probably have been closer to 1.3M if your initial chaos bolts had been buffed by bindings. Overall I guess this is good. I do think that only 14 casts of Chaos Bolt is super low however, considering you also got in 7 Shadow Burns during execute.

Lets delve deeper into chaos bolt.

During bloodlust, you only cast 3 Chaos Bolts in total. The intial two hit under KTT + DS, the third under PBI + DS. You still should have cast at least 2 more Chaos Bolts under PBI.

You then cast 9 Chaos Bolts before phase 2. Only one is under the KTT proc you had. 5 are under your 4pc, and 4 are unbuffed.

Then we move into phase two. You get off only 1 cast of Chaos Bolt here under Dark Soul and PBI. Then it seems you pussy out in p2. You generally have like 5-10 seconds to fire off spells before Shock Pulse. You should have dumped 3 embers before you got knocked back. 

A trick you can do is put down personal portal just in range of boss, and as soon as Shock Pulse is cast you teleport to it and continue DPS (You can do this for first and third knockback, and engineers can glider to reverse the knockback direction for the second one). If your guild is hiding then pop Sac Pact/Glyphed Healthstone/Whatever and finish off your Dark Soul + Bindings + Potion dump, and then safely hide with your guild for the next two knockbacks. Make sure Gateway is up to get your raiders back asap and use your own portal to start DPSing again sooner. Could consider summoning a pet here and re sacrificing it later.

Havoc - might appear useless here, but you can havoc a mine and you'll get at least 3 ember bits as incinerate leaves your hand. If the tank is erratic at which side he starts from, Havoc the boss and use your judgement on which mines to Incinerate off of.

Link to WarcraftLogs

@Zagam

I don't think my raid's gonna agree to changing the strat, considering this one works wonders. But i will work on my chaos bolts.  

1 question: CB only when 1 trinket is up? And don't CB when tempus repit is up?  

I'll also do immo till last tick. Need to get affdots for it.

Thank you! what about other fights? except me forgetting 2nd pot

P.S. If you could look at ou last week attempts on Siege and give us tips it would be much appreciated. We seem to fuckup at 30% and hell knows what happens. Aside from the belt team dying for some reason.

@Liquidsteel.

I'm not gonna get my raid to go trough P2. We still get him down quite quick.

Zagam mentioned this and i will work on my CB's. Why pop pot when i spam CB's instead of SB's?

I'll use the idea with the portal, seems like a great thing. considering i run the shield talent.

Also will dump my embers before we get pushed back. Why tho? wouldn't keeping them be better?

Why would keeping your embers be better?

Before the knockback you have PBI + Dark Soul up, and it's a great time to use second potion. If you're lucky you'll also have your KTT proc then. 

Do you mean to heal yourself? If so, slap your healers for being incompetent. 

Well, ii meant that keeping the embers if i had no procs up.

The shield talent is +100% hp shield from the second tier talents iirc. I like it, as it allows me to make my healers life easier.

I'll just use CB"s under trink procs and DS on cd, as it is intended it seems.

P.S. Shameless plug https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/6112-10m-heroic-garrosh-soloheal-solotank/ my other thread.

Yeah but you will (unless RNG god sticks his middle finger up at you) get Dark Soul and Bindings proc like 10 seconds before the first shock pulse happens, so you will always have a reason to dump embers before knockback.

I'll just use CB"s under trink procs and DS on cd, as it is intended it seems.

Hnnnng so many problems with this statement. Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

It is really not a case of "only cast Chaos Bolt in xyz situation".

Stuff to cast chaos bolt under:

• Dark Soul
  • Trinkets
  • 4pc
  • Skull Banner
  • Combination of lesser procs like engi gloves + tailoring
  • Boss taking more damage (Nazgrim Berserker stance about to end?)
  • Adds coming where you will get free shadowburn or FnB/RoF embers (capping)
  • Period of heavy movement where you can't cast chaos bolt for an extended period and need to bleed embers or face capping during incinerate spam (Garrosh Whirling into Desecrate into MC)

I think you need to get back to basics and start to understand the spec a bit more thoroughly. If you just make blanket statements and follow (without thinking and fully understanding) what people tell you, you'll just end up back here next week having only cast 5 Chaos bolts throughout the entire fight and remaining ember capped because trinket no procerino.

Edited by Liquidsteel

@Liquid

I'm not an idiot, and understand that the class is a bit more deep.

But CB's under DS? That's if i don't expect trinks to be up soon and need to flush the embers?

Do you mean should you cast Chaos Bolt under Dark Soul on its own? 

Short answer, yes.

Ideally you use Dark Soul each time PBI procs, so in essence, they are always up together. I will quite happily hold on to it for 10-20 seconds. I think only once or twice in the past 9 months has it waited longer than say 30 seconds to proc. Longest was about a minute and I had thoughts of going AFK...

I just went and hit the target dummy and tested chaos bolt purely with the following buffs.

1.1M with just PBI

950k with just Dark Soul

As you can see, the two are very close, with PBI being marginally stronger (a HCWF trinket would push PBI slightly furtehr ahead).

If I'm forced to use Dark Soul and PBI is being a bitch, I'll generally just continue to bleed embers until PBI decides to finally proc. If KTT or BBoY proc during this period then fantastic, dump away, otherwise ill hover between 2-3 embers waiting for PBI to proc.

@Liquid

I'm not an idiot, and understand that the class is a bit more deep.

But CB's under DS? That's if i don't expect trinks to be up soon and need to flush the embers?

If you don't have trinkets, then you don't have trinkets. Never assume a RPPM trinket will proc on time or at all, if you have an ICD trinket that is close to being ready you can build embers, but you still don't want to be sitting at cap. Firing a non-impowered CB is better then capping embers for any amount of time. Not capping > keeping embers on reserve, unless you KNOW that you will need embers in a few seconds, I.E. ICD trinket, about to push a phase, etc. 

Hnnnng so many problems with this statement. Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Hey now son, warlocks are as close to Sith as you can get in WoW.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

We should take this as our warlock code imo. Works for the Empire, should work for us. Jedis are wimps.
  • Like 2

@Liquid - gotcha. Good idea to hold for PBI if its <30sec. Unsure tho how the math works in this case, but ill trust you :)  

@Locky well yeah, that's what i've got from everybody else :)  

Through damage i gain victory :)

2 potions?  Check

Dark Soul on CD?  Check

Doomguard?  Check

RNG?  Bad.  Check this - only 2 Tempus Repit procs in 4 minutes.  That's some really bad luck.  Only 4 Toxic Power procs for 15.7% uptime - that's some cruddy luck, too. 

How do you check these things?  Just asking because I want to check my own logs.  

Buffs and Debuffs tab for potions and CDs.  Spell hits from Doomguard in DPS log. 

Hey now son, warlocks are as close to Sith as you can get in WoW.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

We should take this as our warlock code imo. Works for the Empire, should work for us. Jedis are wimps.

You're my new best friend :P

@Zagam, is there anything else i should improve? maybe on other fights? except second pot+wrong CB usage?  

There are also a few attempts of ours on siege lastweek on warcraftlogs, posted from the same acc

Don't have time to look through more stuff at the moment - I can look at something very specific later on.  Most of my advice can be rolled into every encounter with the addition of add Havoc and use it wisely.

@Zagam then i'll ask you to check our siegecrafter progression attempts in the end of the week.  

Not my dpswise, but more strategy wise. 

Thank you for the help! I'll ping you on reddit when the logs will be uploaded. Really appreciate what you're doing here