Dual-wield vs 2-hander logic

6 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding weapon choice for Windwalker monks.  I have seen many references here and elsewhere that dual-wielding is better than two-hand; generally I have seen the statement that a 2H weapon needs to be about 10ilvl better than the average of a dual-wield pair.  What I have not been able to find is the logic behind this.  What is going on that makes dual-wield so much stronger?  Is it inherent to the class (Way of the Monk?) or simply a product of current itemization?  Thanks!

P.S. - Feel free to get as deeply in-depth as you like.

2 Handed weapons (Staves and such in this case) give close to or equal base stats than the dual-wielded counterparts, but end up with lower spellpower/intellect generally than Dual Wielded weapons of equal ilvl, as well as being able to have 2 enchants (offhand and mainhand).

generally you'll want dual wielded over twohanded because of the double enchantment possibilities, and staves/twohanders of equal level only give ~about the~ same base stats anyway (aside from spellpower/intellect), so enchanting an offhand with 160+ intellect or so is a nice, if small, addition. for most classes you'll find dual wielding has had a little extra weight added to its side of the scales.

as another example, frost deathknights do roughly the same dps at same ilvl in both twohanded or dual wield, but dual wielders get the on-hit auto attack procs more often, like killing machine and rime, than the two handed counterparts do, so they are able to use buffed abilities much more often, allowing them to pull ahead with the right timing for cooldowns and suchlike, aswell as being able to have two enchantments, which then also gives higher damage output. Twohanded frosts' usually go for fallenc rusader, 15% str and 5% heal or something, but a dual wielder can get both that and razor ice, increasing frost damage done or damage to targets affected by frost, something like that.

This is regarding Windwalkers not Mistweavers.

I couldn't reply to this because I genuinely don't have a good answer. The way I heard it originally was that they didn't do the averaging of the enchants, autoattacks, or other procs very well, and that more hits meant more frequent trinket and Dancing Steel procs, along with slightly more autoattack damage (due to Way of the Monk)

Im fairly sure there is also a relationship with the number of melee swings 1H vs 2h and the resulting stacks/smoothness of TeB generation and as hybris mentioned more trinket proc "chances" and enchant proc "chances".

That all makes sense.  With the math I was trying to work out it seemed like the damage itself was almost a wash, but the proc frequency increase definitely makes the switch worth it.  Thanks for your insight!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyclone
      Pretty much, I've got an 850 Bloodthirsty Instinct (Socket + Leech), 850 Nature's Call (Socket), and an 855 Vindictive Combatant's Insignia of Conquest, and I'm just wondering which trinkets I should be taking as a WW monk. Initially I was thinking the Bloodthirsty and Nature's Call, because they seem to proc alot more, but I'm not sure.
    • By Dereek
      Váde Enim is a friendly guild on Draenor EU 
      We are currently 7/7 normal and 4/7 heroic
      We are looking to expand to a 20+ man team and tackle mythic content. 
      We cover a number of events in guild including alt raids, mythic dungeons and mythic + content.
      Raiding days are Wednesday and Thursday 1945 - 2300 (server time) 
      We run Mythic + groups on throughout the week 
      We're looking for the following; (But all may be considered)
      Shadow Priests
      Feral and Balance Druids 
      Demon Hunters (Havoc)
      Arms Warrior
      We're mainly looking for Melee DPS on top of the classes we already have just to spread out our Melee / Ranged ratio.
      If you'd like to join and trial please contact Dereek, Rentend, Pettz, Vaior in game or add my bnet tag Villain #2997
      Many thanks

• By Wixii
      Boom Time is currently recruiting healers (and as always exceptional dps).
      What healers do we need?
      - Paladin (high)
      - Monk
      - 860+ (Not absolute minimum)
      - Mythic experience or impressive logs
      - A sense of humour
      Wednesday - 19:00-23:00
      Thursday - 19:00-23:00
      Sunday - 19:00-23:00
      Contact info, about us, etc
      Wixii#2580 (Healing Officer)
      Origin#2634 (Ranged Officer)
      Warlofd#2979 (Melee Officer)
    • By Cerenitee
      Moist is a Horde guild located on Illidan and is recruiting for our Core Mythic raid group. We are a 9 hour raiding guild making quick progression through The Emerald Nightmare!

We are currently looking to fill Core DPS/Healing raid spots.

Current Recruitment Needs

Monk: Windwalker
      Hunter: Marksmen
      Paladin: Ret
      Priest: Shadow

Druid: Resto
      Paladin: Holy

Other specs will be considered assuming you can perform to a superior standard.

Current Progression

The Emerald Nightmare
      7/7 Normal
      5/7 Heroic

Raid Times

Monday - 8:30 PM EST - 11:30 PM EST
      Tuesday - 8:30 PM EST - 11:30 PM EST
      Wednesday - 8:30 PM EST - 11:30 PM EST

About us

<Moist> is a guild that strives to push progression with a very short raid week. We expect our top raiders to know the insides and outs of their class and come to raid prepared. With a 9 hour raid week we expect everyone to play the best to their ability. Outside of raid nights we have plenty of activities happening ranging from alt runs, mount runs to other games outside of WoW such as League of Legends, HoTs, Hearthstone, and random steam games just to name a few.

What we expect from you:
      A reasonable level of dedication
      The ability to take criticism
      The ability to learn from your mistakes
      Something, something sense of humor

What to expect from us:
      Friendly environment
      People to laugh, and have fun with
      Progress oriented raid nights
      Optional non-raid-night activities (mog and mount runs, BGs, Arenas)

We are currently using Personal Loot. So far everyone really seems to be enjoying it. There is a lot less drama with Personal Loot than the normal Master loot most guilds do.

If you're interested in learning more about us or applying to the guild please apply at - Click on the Recruitment tab on the menu bar. If you have any questions please feel free to message us in game or post below.

Cerenitie (Cerenitee#1650)
      Pip (Piptooth#1430)