FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stoove

SCIENCE!

Well some of you may have noticed that I'm... well... I'm a science nerd. I blog about science, I tweet about it (live!) and I do it as my day job, as well as doing a science Masters degree.

So naturally, I kinda love science.

I just wanted to know what the other members of the community here think of science. Tell everyone what your relationship to science is.

Are you completely unenthusiastic? Are you a rabid science supporter? Are you a scientist - enthusiastic or otherwise?

... are you into "geek chic"?

Posted Image

I love science with a passion, even though I'm basically useless when it comes to it. It never ceases to astound and impress me, and I commend all those who engage in it. Even you, Stoove, even you.

• Like 1

I like science as it explains the world around me.

I am not much into mathematics, but if you see what is necessary to perform simple tasks,like keeping a car on the road, thats amazing.

I am not much into mathematics, but if you see what is necessary to perform simple tasks,like keeping a car on the road, thats amazing.

I see you ran out of links for your signature so I increased the limit to 5 links per signature :P

Back on topic. I'm a science nerd as well and I'm especially fond of Mathematics and Computer Science (have a PhD in the latter). These days, I don't read much because Icy Veins is taking up a lot of my time, but I wish I had more time for science.

• Like 1

I love science with a passion, even though I'm basically useless when it comes to it. It never ceases to astound and impress me, and I commend all those who engage in it. Even you, Stoove, even you.

even me?! - Wow! Yay! ^_^

Thanks a lot =]

It's sad when people say things like this, because you don't have to like maths to like doing science. Maths is more like a useful tool that we have to use, rather than a pursuit in it's own right (apart from when you're a mathematician, but let's not go there...)

I'm really not good at maths, unfortunately. I kinda wish I was, but it's certainly not impossible to be a good scientist and a bad mathematician. In the end, science comes down to having a deep understanding of whatever it is you study. Maths is just the best way of getting to that.

Back on topic. I'm a science nerd as well and I'm especially fond of Mathematics and Computer Science (have a PhD in the latter). These days, I don't read much because Icy Veins is taking up a lot of my time, but I wish I had more time for science.

Do you understand Object Oriented then? I learned about it at NI Days (UK) yesterday. Blew my mind.

Glad to see another awesome science nerd ^_^

It's sad when people say things like this, because you don't have to like maths to like doing science. Maths is more like a useful tool that we have to use, rather than a pursuit in it's own right (apart from when you're a mathematician, but let's not go there...)

I'm really not good at maths, unfortunately. I kinda wish I was, but it's certainly not impossible to be a good scientist and a bad mathematician. In the end, science comes down to having a deep understanding of whatever it is you study. Maths is just the best way of getting to that.

I meant, that i can't go deep into physics, because the mathematical backround is missing.

I like Books by people like Feynman, Sagan and others who explain science.

I read about things like Chaos, the Universe, String-Theory and lots of other Stuff and it amazes me, how deep we can look into things but still only understand parts of it all.

And i like the humanities like Philosophy and Psychology. Guys like Paul Watlawick and Erich Fromm did good jobs explaining the human nature.

I meant, that i can't go deep into physics, because the mathematical backround is missing.

I like Books by people like Feynman, Sagan and others who explain science.

I read about things like Chaos, the Universe, String-Theory and lots of other Stuff and it amazes me, how deep we can look into things but still only understand parts of it all.

And i like the humanities like Philosophy and Psychology. Guys like Paul Watlawick and Erich Fromm did good jobs explaining the human nature.

Awesome! But no, I meant that if only people could be taught a bit better Physics without really needing the mathematics. It's sad to see someone not be able to join in because of mathematical background.

But yeah, Feynman is amazing - my personal hero for about six years now. His "Lectures on Physics" is basically a whole degree course in Physics circa 1960. I think he basically starts with teaching the mathematical tools you need for it, too. Very cool stuff.

Can't say I know anything about humanities. I'm quite focused on science, and Physics in particular.

Do you understand Object Oriented then? I learned about it at NI Days (UK) yesterday. Blew my mind.

Glad to see another awesome science nerd ^_^

Yes, I am very familiar with the concept :)

I only do programming for scientific computing. Object oriented isn't something I need to use a lot - learning about it was awesome though :D

Object Oriented can be very useful for scientific computing Posted Image

It can, sure. I understand that, but perhaps details are a bit boring. (don't scare everyone off! ^_^)

Incidentally, if anyone wants to learn why Richard Feynman is awesome (he has a Facebook page saying so) - check these lectures out! (Little maths, lots of awesome!)

Ladies and Gents; "Project Tuva", courtesy of Bill Gates =]

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html#data=3%7C%7C%7C