13 replies to this topic Started by Stoove, Nov 21 2012 05:37 PM Science
- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK
Well some of you may have noticed that I'm... well... I'm a science nerd. I blog about science, I tweet about it (live!) and I do it as my day job, as well as doing a science Masters degree.

So naturally, I kinda love science.

I just wanted to know what the other members of the community here think of science. Tell everyone what your relationship to science is.

Are you completely unenthusiastic? Are you a rabid science supporter? Are you a scientist - enthusiastic or otherwise?

... are you into "geek chic"?

Posted Image

Stoove is the wizard of all things shaman related. He is neither late nor early, For he arrives precisely when he intends to.

The sole test of theory is experiment. The sole test of experiment is theory.

Theorycraft, Simulationcraft, Experimentalcraft. Who says WoW and science are different?

I use this as my moderator voice.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France
I love science with a passion, even though I'm basically useless when it comes to it. It never ceases to astound and impress me, and I commend all those who engage in it. Even you, Stoove, even you.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Mutterkorn
  • Mutterkorn
  • Knight
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
  • LocationGermany
I like science as it explains the world around me. I am not much into mathematics, but if you see what is necessary to perform simple tasks,like keeping a car on the road, thats amazing.
Lydmilla - Dwarf Shaman -Antonidas (EU)
Stefanja - Gnome Warlock - Antonidas (EU)
Copperbeard - Dwarf Paladin - Antonidas (EU)
Raffella - Gnome Death Knight - Antonidas (EU)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

I like science as it explains the world around me.
I am not much into mathematics, but if you see what is necessary to perform simple tasks,like keeping a car on the road, thats amazing.

I see you ran out of links for your signature so I increased the limit to 5 links per signature :P

Back on topic. I'm a science nerd as well and I'm especially fond of Mathematics and Computer Science (have a PhD in the latter). These days, I don't read much because Icy Veins is taking up a lot of my time, but I wish I had more time for science.

Join us on IRC! | server: irc.quakenet.org | port: 6667 | channel: #icy-veins

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK

I love science with a passion, even though I'm basically useless when it comes to it. It never ceases to astound and impress me, and I commend all those who engage in it. Even you, Stoove, even you.

even me?! - Wow! Yay! ^_^

Thanks a lot =]

I like science as it explains the world around me.
I am not much into mathematics, but if you see what is necessary to perform simple tasks,like keeping a car on the road, thats amazing.

It's sad when people say things like this, because you don't have to like maths to like doing science. Maths is more like a useful tool that we have to use, rather than a pursuit in it's own right (apart from when you're a mathematician, but let's not go there...)

I'm really not good at maths, unfortunately. I kinda wish I was, but it's certainly not impossible to be a good scientist and a bad mathematician. In the end, science comes down to having a deep understanding of whatever it is you study. Maths is just the best way of getting to that.

Stoove is the wizard of all things shaman related. He is neither late nor early, For he arrives precisely when he intends to.

Theorycraft, Simulationcraft, Experimentalcraft. Who says WoW and science are different?

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK

Back on topic. I'm a science nerd as well and I'm especially fond of Mathematics and Computer Science (have a PhD in the latter). These days, I don't read much because Icy Veins is taking up a lot of my time, but I wish I had more time for science.

Do you understand Object Oriented then? I learned about it at NI Days (UK) yesterday. Blew my mind.

Glad to see another awesome science nerd ^_^

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Mutterkorn
  • Mutterkorn
  • Knight
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
  • LocationGermany

It's sad when people say things like this, because you don't have to like maths to like doing science. Maths is more like a useful tool that we have to use, rather than a pursuit in it's own right (apart from when you're a mathematician, but let's not go there...)

I'm really not good at maths, unfortunately. I kinda wish I was, but it's certainly not impossible to be a good scientist and a bad mathematician. In the end, science comes down to having a deep understanding of whatever it is you study. Maths is just the best way of getting to that.

I meant, that i can't go deep into physics, because the mathematical backround is missing.
I like Books by people like Feynman, Sagan and others who explain science.
I read about things like Chaos, the Universe, String-Theory and lots of other Stuff and it amazes me, how deep we can look into things but still only understand parts of it all.

And i like the humanities like Philosophy and Psychology. Guys like Paul Watlawick and Erich Fromm did good jobs explaining the human nature.
Lydmilla - Dwarf Shaman -Antonidas (EU)
Stefanja - Gnome Warlock - Antonidas (EU)
Copperbeard - Dwarf Paladin - Antonidas (EU)
Raffella - Gnome Death Knight - Antonidas (EU)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK

I meant, that i can't go deep into physics, because the mathematical backround is missing.
I like Books by people like Feynman, Sagan and others who explain science.
I read about things like Chaos, the Universe, String-Theory and lots of other Stuff and it amazes me, how deep we can look into things but still only understand parts of it all.

And i like the humanities like Philosophy and Psychology. Guys like Paul Watlawick and Erich Fromm did good jobs explaining the human nature.

Awesome! But no, I meant that if only people could be taught a bit better Physics without really needing the mathematics. It's sad to see someone not be able to join in because of mathematical background.

But yeah, Feynman is amazing - my personal hero for about six years now. His "Lectures on Physics" is basically a whole degree course in Physics circa 1960. I think he basically starts with teaching the mathematical tools you need for it, too. Very cool stuff.

Can't say I know anything about humanities. I'm quite focused on science, and Physics in particular.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

Do you understand Object Oriented then? I learned about it at NI Days (UK) yesterday. Blew my mind.

Glad to see another awesome science nerd ^_^

Yes, I am very familiar with the concept :)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK
I only do programming for scientific computing. Object oriented isn't something I need to use a lot - learning about it was awesome though :D

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
Object Oriented can be very useful for scientific computing :P

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Stoove
  • Stoove
  • Sha of Science
  • LocationUK

Object Oriented can be very useful for scientific computing Posted Image

It can, sure. I understand that, but perhaps details are a bit boring. (don't scare everyone off! ^_^)

Incidentally, if anyone wants to learn why Richard Feynman is awesome (he has a Facebook page saying so) - check these lectures out! (Little maths, lots of awesome!)

Ladies and Gents; "Project Tuva", courtesy of Bill Gates =]

http://research.micr....html#data=3|||

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

chillerfreezer
  • chillerfreezer
  • Footman
Are you interested in sciences like physiology and anatomy? Posted Image

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

chillerfreezer
  • chillerfreezer
  • Footman
I'm not really good at this matter, but I love how science amaze me.... a little trick will really make me happy for the whole day... every time I have a new learning I embrace it ... Posted Image

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users