Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Prot evaluation (mainly low dps)

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am semi new to tanking and deciphering logs and I could really use some advice. My dps is obnoxiously low and I can't seen to figure out why. I know I should be focusing on my survivability mainly but when comparing myself to other warriors I cast roughly the same number of each spell (both damage and mitigation) but mine seem to only hit half as hard. I will include some logs and my armory. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism on what I am questioning as well as anywhere you see I could improve. Thanks in advance guys!

One thing I see. You should be going with Crit chants on rings and neck. Crit = parry which equals more Revenge hits and more dmg. And those terribad trinks need to replaced asap.

I'm going to let Esta take care of this request more formally but here's my $0.02

• While your damage output as a tank can help, the DPS factor is never one of my concerns. As far as damage output goes I only concern myself with the fact that I'm hitting the right one if there are multiple targets available. That's the biggest contribution you can make, imo, as a tank doing damage. Your number 1 priority is making sure you're mitigating damage and surviving, obviously, and managing the boss and their mechanic(s): position, facing, taunt switches, debuffs, etc. Let the damage dealers worry about DPS.
  • Critical Strike (as suggested by JueceFlavour) is alright in the low item level of prot gear. Eventually, though, you will want to switch out and maintain Mastery enchants on your gear. A critical strike build can give you great DPS - especially in AoE situations - but your primary role isn't DPS as noted in the first bullet.
  • Bloodbath is your single target talent and Bladestorm is your multiple target talent. (again referencing JueceFlavour's comment.)

I hope these few things help to some degree. As I said, when Esta gets around to it she will post her feedback; she's pretty good about that. Just be patient.

Sorry for the long wait!

I'll start with Iron Reaver and I'll be looking exclusively at Ground phases, since there's not much you can do in Air phases.

You had two minutes of Ground phase with one Bloodbath and two Dragon Roars. Make sure you're syncing your uses of those. I also notice one Demo Shout and Last Stand. You could have fit a Shield Wall in.

You died 1:49 into the Ground Phase. Your Shield Block fell of 7.11 seconds before your death and you used nothing else until you died. Shield Barrier may not be big and beefy like it once was, but it still could have saved you.

I see and Draenic Strength pot in your buffs list. The strength pot gives you 1000 AP. An armor pot would give you 1500 AP and a sizeable boost to survivability. You have 5 Shield Barrier casts with an average size of only 40k. If you're using those to soak the Artillery, make sure you're using it about 5 seconds before it hits to maximize your Barrier size since Resolve falls off quickly.

Your Shield Block uptime looks really low and so I pulled up the graph of your timings to compare to when you are taking melee damage. You were tanking the boss for the first ~15s with no Shield Block. The second time you're tanking, it takes about 7s for you to put up a Shield Block. Same with the third time. The fourth time, you didn't use SBlk at all. The fifth time, you use a Shield Block on time and it covered the whole period of melee damage. The final time, you used no SBlk at all. You should be using your defensive abilities much more.

One critical thing I need to look at to give you solid information is rage use, but you logged without Advance Combat Logging turned on, so I can't see your rage use. If you could turn that on next time, I'd be able to give you a better assessment. Protection warriors are all about rage management.

For a 2 minute phase, you should have about 80 GCDs used. Since you have to run out, I estimate that you lose about 10s worth of useable time every time. You got artillery 3 times. So I'm estimating about 60 GCDs. From your damage done, I see that you used 52 GCDs. My estimate is pretty conservative, so it looks like you may be losing some GCDs.

At this point, I can't give you any solid recommendations. If you had ACL on, I could look at your rage use and tell you if you could have put more rage into damage or not.

My recommendations thus far are to change your talents as has been recommended, focus on having Shield Block up when tanking, and bring me some logs with ACL turned on.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Greendexter
      <Should be Studying> is a 3-day raiding guild on Mal’Ganis US. We’ve been raiding as a group for years, starting in the Firelands. We’re currently looking for more raiders to bolster our roster as we head into Mythic EN.
      We are a guild that is concerned with making meaningful progression, but even more concerned with having fun and maintaining a low-pressure atmosphere. We don’t consider ourselves guildies or simply a raid group, we are all friends here. We respect each other while pushing everyone to get better individually as a player.
      We’re an adult guild, with most members being in their mid 20’s-30’s. Additionally, we are an international raid team. We have players from the US, Brazil, Turkey, and Australia. Don’t worry though, everyone speaks English! :)
      Current Progression: 7/7H EN
      Raid Times: Tue/Wed/Sun 7:30-10:30 CST (8:30 EST)
      We are looking for primarily ranged DPS at this time. All exceptional applicants are encouraged to contact us, but we are pretty full-up on melee, tanks, and healers!
      Specific class needs currently include:
      MM Hunter
      Shadow Priest
      Ele Shaman
      Mage (Lower Priority)
      If you’re interested in applying or just want to talk to us, please visit You’ll need to register for the site before you can view the forums.
      Alternatively, feel free to add Dexter#1725 or Vyndir#1769 if you have any questions.
      Thanks for reading!
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 2/7 Mythic Emerald Nightmare
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here:
      <Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!
      We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Tank: Highly experienced/Know fights/Willing to communicate/Good attitude
      Healer: Holy Paladin, HIGH DEMAND!
      Range damage: High demand.
      Melee damage: Slots competitive, apply anyway.
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Adelynd
      Who We Are
      Lunae was created in early 2011 by a group of friends that have busy real lives with jobs and families.  We like to do things well but our families and friends come first.  We are looking for mature, fun, experienced, and skilled players who want to join a friendly raiding environment.  We offer a mature atmosphere that loves to raid more with the person than with a player and knows that in the end, real life is all that matters.  If you think this way then we may be the right guild for you.
      DPS and healer-prefer priest.
      Raid Schedule
      We raid Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 23:30-02:00
      EN-Normal 7/7 Heroic 2/7
      Our Expectations for Raiders
      Be at the raid entrance 15 minutes prior to start time when invites occur Attend at least 2/3 raids per week Have fully gemmed, enchanted, and repaired gear~have an in-depth knowledge of your class Regularly read the guild forums, read up/watch videos on boss tactics before the raid Have food, flasks and potions with you Have a headset and be able to not only listen but speak English. Applications
      When applying to Lunae remember that our only insight into who you are is based on what you write on the application form.  Please be thorough.  If accepted you will be considered a trial raider for a couple of weeks so the guild may evaluate your suitability for Lunae.  Apply at:
      If you would like to have more information about Lunae please leave a message or contact Adelynd#1667 in-game.
    • By Semifreddo
      Raiding guild looking for more raiders! We have a particular need of ranged DPS and a healer or two. Melee DPS are more than welcome if they have a tank off-specc. That helps with Mythic+ runs, if we have several tanks and groups going at the same time.

Progression: 7/7N, 1/7H

Raid Schedule: 20:00 Saturday and Sunday Server Time

Communication: Discord Channel

Interest: Message me on (Semifreddo#2224), or respond to this post with what class and specc you play.
    • By mischievous
      Cleared Heroic and Normal Emerald Nightmare in the first week of it's release.
      Classes Needed:
      Resto Shaman
      Resto Druid
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Always looking for exceptional DPS of any class.

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply at our website  If you have questions about the application process, contact any of the officers for additional information.

Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417