Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damien

WoW down to 9.6M subscribers - Thoughts?

10 posts in this topic

Activision-Blizzard made the press release for their quarterly results (Q4 2012) available before the actual conference call. On page three, you will find the announcement about the WoW subscribers, which they define as follows (on page five):

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

I'm a bit disappointed by the number, I have to say. I find Mists of Pandaria to be a really good expansion and things will only get better with Patch 5.2 (the new daily quest hub is just awesome, so far).

One thing I regret is that they never release the numbers by zone. In particular, I would like to know how the number of subscribers in Europe and in North America has varied over the years (mostly because this is the readership we target with this website).

That would definitely be interesting to see which areas gained/lost the most players. I've only been playing for the past 2 years but I love this game. My guess may be that, at least in the US, with the declining economy people can't afford it. I know a good bit of people that stopped playing due to money. Could also just be the length of time WoW has been out. Some players may just be burnt out. I know I lose interest sometimes and stop playing for a few weeks.

There's also many more gaming options these days. For Wow to manage 9.6M subscribers today is absolutely amazing.

Also, "Mists of Pandaria was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail." Amazing.

Edited by Stasis

Due to the economy that is why WoW is now down to 9.6M. There are also other options for players like f2p games out there.

A game that has been running since February 2005 still has 9.6 MILLION subscribers? I think that says everything. I can't even remember a game in past history that keeps millions of people playing 8 years after it's initial release. Very impressive overall in my opinion!

Edited by Tiitch

I am not surprised as they have lost some people over certain changes to make the game more friendly to certain players. Also with the release of Diablo 3 they had a lot of people change which games they were playing. Starcraft 2 also has a pretty good base of players who switched form WoW plus I have noticed a couple people on my friends list playing it more often and I would attribute that to the upcoming expansion.

Nothing can stay huge forever and one thing stopping people from joining the band wagon is the cost to get started. Vanilla cost me 40 when I started to play. Right now even with sales it would cost around 100 to get started on top of the monthly fee. If they were to throw a free month in on each expansion or at least the newest one it would probably get some more people to convert.

This tier of raiding is always daunting. The progress of most guilds is stunted because 3 separate raids makes planning for them difficult. Consider this:

Heroic Stone Guard is often killed before normal Sha of Fear. This gives the allure that heroic modes are easy. Groups then go and attempt Heroic Feng...and wipe, but they get it eventually. Lots of 2/6H MSV guilds out there. Gara'jal is the first 'DPS Check' wall. Once you have the gear, this fight is trivial. But consider the difficulty of Spirit Kings...many guilds skip over this to do Heroic Elegon due to its ease. In fact, you have 2 (or arguably 3) heroic mode encounters in Heart of Fear that are easier than Spirit Kings and Will of the Emperors. There's even an accessible Heroic mode in Terrace that you can do before knocking off Spirit Kings. A passable progressive order looks like this:

Stone Guard - Feng - Gara'jal - Elegon - Blade Lord - Wind Lord - Garalon - Lei Shi - Spirit Kings - Will of the Emperors - Vizier - Amber Shaper - Protectors - Shek'zeer - Tsulong - Sha of Fear

In terms of zones, it looks like this...

MSV - MSV - MSV - MSV - HoF - HoF - HoF - ToES - MSV - MSV - HoF - HoF - ToES - HoF - ToES - ToES

Some groups have tried to clear MSV before moving on which limits their growth and gear acquisition as well as their progression. This creates frustration amongst some groups as others go on to clear more and be better because of a better planned access path. Think back to T11 when we had to bounce back and forth between Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, and Throne of the Four Winds. Halfus was very accessible as well as the double dragons...but Ascendent Council? Guilds often didn't down this until their 9th or 10th heroic out of the 12 (13 if you count Sinestra). However, most of these groups came back in Firelands and tackled 6/7H either before nerf or definitely after the nerf. At least they all got to do progression in the same place.

I'm anticipating a number of players returning for 5.2 and sticking it out. This raid looks as if it will be Ulduar 2.0 which will make many people, myself included, absolutely ecstatic. I personally have dealt with people leaving and quitting the game only to come back for a new patch, so I'm sure the general population will repeat that pattern.

I quit mid WotLK and didn't play Cataclysm at all and was quite surprised at the "ease" the game has been equipped with. Lots of improvements, yes. But still...

Curious to see what impact Elder Scrolls online has on WOW subscriptions. I'd probably still play WOW but I would like the variety if ESO manages to show some originality.

I'm anticipating FF14's improved release. Most games I enjoy have lost their values...I have to do crazy things like take the Nemesis out with a knife only in Resident Evil 3...or play one of those ridiculous Super Mario World hacks. 5.2 has brought a lot of fun for me back, and the new dailies string is nice. I dreaded that it would include doing all of Stage 1 over and over + Stage 2. Instead, Stage 2 gave you 1 new set of dailies, 2 old ones for familiarity, and it showed you HOW they actually got there. Pretty cool all in all...it's taken the best of the MoP daily system and made it less tedius yet still require some time commitment. The extra you get from dailies (keys, summonable creatures, etc) are a nice perk to keep the monotony down. The normal modes of the raids were a bit relaxed as once you learn the mechanics, the fight gets super easy. There is no DPS wall or anything, so hopefully heroics bring out the best in players and finding ways to overcome obstacles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Month Ahead in WoW: July
      By Blainie
      Worried about budgeting your time in-game during the month ahead? We've got all the information on when each event will start over the next 30 days. Check it out!
      Below you can find all of the major events for this month, including their starting and finishing dates. 
      Event Start Date End Date Midsummer Fire Festival 21st June 5th July Darkmoon Faire 3rd July 9th July Stranglethorn Fishing Contest Every Sunday - Battleground Bonus Event 29th June 4th July Draenor Dungeon Bonus Event 6th July 11th July Pet Battle Bonus Event 13th July 18th July Burning Crusade Timewalking Bonus Event 20th July 25th July Apexis Bonus Event 27th July 1st August Make sure to check in on each of the starting dates for our quick-tip guides to each event! It's also worth nothing that, given we have now entered the run-up to Legion, these are the last times we will see the unique events, such as Burning Crusade timewalking. 
      Bonus events are taking a break on launch for 4 weeks, so we won't be able to have another shot until then! Capitalise on these events while you can!
    • Legion Comic Released: Magni!
      By Blainie
      A new comic for World of Warcraft: Legion has just released! Check out this tale of a king, thought to be forever encased in stone, who now brings a grave warning.
      You can always read the comic first prior to checking out our synopsis of the content below! It's written by Blizzard's own Matt Burns and illustrated by Ludo Lullabi. 
      Magni Bronzebeard was the King of Ironforge, as well as the leader of the Bronzebeard clan for many years. When the cataclysm occurred, Magni attempted to perform a ritual to unite himself and commune with the earth, but was instead turned to stone. His brother, Muradin, his daughter, Moira, and Falstad Wildhammer succeeded him as leaders of the dwarven people by forming the Council of Three Hammers.
      Four years has since passed and that's where this comic picks up. It's evident that the leaders have tried countless times to awaken Magni, but to no avail. Moira is forced to try again, the other leaders believing that her voice might rouse Magni, but she is unconvinced. She is ready to leave her father behind once more, but the rock seems to crack as she turns. Magni awakens, but not for the reasons Moira believes.
      He meets with the Council, but rather than immediately addressing the political crisis at hand, Magni wishes to go for a walk. While the three leaders discuss what Magni's return might mean, he interrupts the conversation by stating that he is not there to retake his throne. Magni is there to deliver a warning, nothing more and nothing less. It seems his communion with the earth forced him to see what was coming in the future, the hordes of demons that were to invade Azeroth. 
      He leaves his people behind to go and warn the rest of the Alliance leaders, but not without a heart-warming exchange with his daughter first. 
      So, what did you think of it? Personally, I absolutely loved the style of the production. It was a joy to read and I just wish it was longer! The music fits perfectly, the artwork is great and the pacing created by Madefire is just superb.
      More, please!
    • Legion: End-Game Rewards System Explained
      By Zadina
      Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas made an extensive post detailing the end-game rewards system in Legion, as well as the random item upgrades. Read on to find out how item level and loot will work in the upcoming expansion.
      In Legion, every item from an end-game source (dungeon, raid, world quest, PvP strongbox, mission, etc.) has a base item level and a chance to be upgraded (an upgradeable item will be marked with a "+"). When you earn an upgradeable item, the system rolls for a +5 upgrade. If it succeeds, it continues to roll for +5 upgrades until it fails or you reach the item-level cap. This cap will be around 850 ilvl for the first two weeks after Legion's launch and 895 ilvl once the Emerald Nightmare raid and Mythic+ dungeons are introduced. Titanforged items are the ones that roll an item level upgrade of +15 or more, they are simply "better Warforged items".
      A lot of people have criticised this system for being too random and luck-dependent. However, Watcher has an answer to this: the players' item level will still be equivalent to the type and difficulty of content they are doing. There is just an additional chance for a player to get an extremely good item, which is way better that the content he/she does - this, however, will be a rare and very random occurrence. In essence, players within the same guild and doing the same type of content will have pretty much the same item level.
      Bear in mind that this new system will apply to Hellfire Citadel, once the Legion pre-patch hits the live servers!
      Watcher
      + Show- Hide There's a fair bit of confusion around how item level of end-game rewards works in Legion - understandable, since we haven't really gone into detail about how the system works, instead focusing on high-level goals and philosophies. Let me take a crack at changing that. Scaling vs. Static Item Level - "Anything Can Happen"
      This came up in the first Legion Q&A a couple of weeks ago, but in past expansions, the endgame item structure has always been defined by a rigid series of flat plateaus. In Warlords, Normal dungeon loot was Item Level 615. Heroic dungeon loot was 630. Normal Highmaul was 655. And so forth. Once you had Raid Finder gear or better, there was zero value to items from dungeons. In patch 6.2, Tanaan Jungle only offered Baleful items that could be empowered up to item level 695. If you were a Hellfire Citadel raider, setting out to do Tanaan dailies (to unlock flying, let's say), there was zero chance that anything could happen during that play session that might make your character stronger. And in a game underscored by progression, that's a shame.
      In essence, Legion changes those flat item-level plateaus into peaks that taper up to a global max potential item level.
      When you earn an item from nearly any endgame source (dungeon, raid, world quest, PvP strongbox, mission, etc.), it has a chance of upgrading its quality. When looking at information on your rewards in sources like the Dungeon Journal or World Quest display, you'll see these items with a "+" next to their item level, indicating this chance to upgrade (e.g. the Dungeon Journal for Heroic Legion dungeons showing "Item Level 825+").
      While there's a bunch of math behind it all, this may be a useful way of thinking about it: When generated, these items have a chance to roll a +5 item level bonus. If that roll succeeds, the system rolls again for another +5 bonus. If that succeeds, it rolls again. This process continues until an upgrade roll fails or the global item-level ceiling is reached. That's it.
      And so, in Legion, even if you're a raider, if your friend is looking for someone to queue Heroic dungeons, you have an extra motivation to volunteer aside from pure altruism. You probably won't get an upgrade. But you might. Anything could happen.
      "Titanforged" - What's the Deal?
      Titanforged is just a label that applies when an item successfully upgrades by +15 or more item levels. It isn't really an inherent part of the system itself, but rather something we added midway through development to make it clear when you just got exceptionally lucky.
      RNG, Progression, and Prestige
      A frequent concern with the Legion item system is that the very possibility of a Mythic-raid-quality item coming from a quest or dungeon boss cheapens those rewards. But there's a huge difference between a single Mythic-quality item and a full set of gear of that quality. A player who mainly queues for Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder may end up with a couple of great raid-quality pieces, but that's a far cry from what someone who actually does high-end raiding will look like. Ditto for someone who casually queues for BGs compared to a top-rated arena player. After all, it requires far fewer lucky breaks for a Mythic Nightmare raid drop to make it to Item Level 895 than it would for a Heroic dungeon blue, by a huge margin. Your overall gear will still reflect the type and difficulty of content that you do, but a broader range of activities can be rewarding, and a broader range of players can have moments of surprise and excitement along the way.
      Another concern raised in this thread relates to the impact of randomness on competitive progression. First off, the explanation above references a "global item-level ceiling" - that's simply a cap on how far any item can upgrade, and it's a value that will be set in relation to the highest available base item levels from the most difficult available content. Once Mythic+ dungeons and the Nightmare Raid are accessible, that value will be 895 (and that's the value to which the cap is currently set in beta). But for the first couple of weeks after launch, we're planning on having a lower cap in the 850s, since there is nothing available above that base item level. In the future, as new content is introduced, the ceiling will rise accordingly. Even the very luckiest person in the world won't be walking into raids and outgearing them on day one.
      Finally, we're dealing with upgrade chances on individual item slots out of 16, belonging to individual characters out of 10-30 in a raid group. A single item won't make or break your raid's success. The law of averages suggests that raid groups that complete roughly the same amount of content will end up with roughly the same item level. We feel that the system will be a significant improvement to the individual gearing experience without harming guild competition. (source)

My main question was - will Heroic and Mythic raid gear be able to upgrade past Warforged?
      Since "past Warforged" just means "by more than +10 item levels over base," the answer to that is "yes."
      Let me use some entirely made-up numbers as an example:
      Let's assume that the chance to upgrade is 50% per +5 step to simplify the math. Clearly that is NOT the actual chance, as anyone who's been playing at max level on Beta can attest. But let's pretend that whenever an item drops, we flip a coin and bump the item level by +5 every time it comes up Heads. And we continue until we either flip a Tails OR the item reaches Item Level 895.
      Let's consider three Emerald Nightmare drops: one from Raid Finder (835+), one from Heroic (865+), and one from Mythic (880+).
      The Mythic Nightmare raid drop is guaranteed to be at least 880. We flip our imaginary coin (again, these are NOT the actual odds...). 50% of the time it'll come up Heads (woo, 885!), so we flip again. Again, half of the time we get this far (25% chance total, now) it'll come up Heads again (890!). And so we flip yet again, and yet again half the time we make it this far, we'll get yet another Heads (12.5% total). That bumps the item to 895, which is the cap, so we stop flipping coins and the item ends up at +15 over the base 880, which makes it Titanforged.
      Using these hypothetical, made-up numbers, if you looted the same item from a Mythic Nightmare boss 8 times, you'd expect on average to see four 880 versions, 2 885 versions, 1 890 version, and 1 895 version.
      Now let's look at the Heroic base item. That starts at 865, so you'd need to upgrade it six times (i.e. flip six Heads in a row, using our analogy) for it end up at 895. I'm not going to step through the probability tree again, but the 1/8 chance above now becomes a 1/64 chance. You'd need to loot 64 Heroic Nightmare raid items on average to see a single 895. The Titanforged chance (again, not the actual odds!!) would still be 1 in 8 (12.5%), since that just means 3 successful consecutive coinflips, but that would only bring the item to 880. You need to get much luckier to get all the way to 895.
      Finally, our Raid Finder item. With a base Item Level of 835, it needs to upgrade 12 times to make it all the way to 895. Long story short, that's a 1 in 4096 chance of being 895. Let's say you get 2-3 items a week from fully clearing Raid Finder. You'd need to run Raid Finder every week for over 21 years in order to have a >50% chance of seeing a 895 item out of Emerald Nightmare LFR. By that time, we'll all be in item level 4000 gear as we play the latest Corgis Unleashed expansion on our VR decks (unlike the rest of this post, this part is entirely factual). But hey, you'll probably have that 895 Raid Finder item. Or you still might not. Still feel mandatory?
      As this example hopefully illustrates, you're best off spending your time on the most challenging/rewarding content that you can tackle. This isn't destroying the foundations of WoW itemization and replacing it with massive randomness - by and large, players will progress through content of increasing difficulty and/or organization requirement, earning more and more powerful items as they go. (source)

I'm going to assume that items can also roll warforged, for a maximum of 901? That's totally cool by me, but confirmation would be neato. Haven't managed to find an example of a high-TF WF item on beta yet.
      Nope. "Warforged" as you know it in Warlords is gone with Legion, and isn't a separate system stacked on top of this one.
      A "Warforged" item is one that got moderately lucky rolls (+5 or +10 over base). "Titanforged" kicks in once you cross the +15 threshold.
      895 is the highest item level you will see while Emerald Nightmare is the active raid zone. (source)
      So, now that we know more about the new end-game reward and item upgrade system, what do you think of it?
    • [Bleeding Hollow-H]<Shifty Casuals> 13/13M Open Recruitment
      By mischievous
      Archimonde dead after 7 raid days!

We're looking for exceptional raiders of any class that are ready to jump straight into Mythic HFC. 

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply @ http://tinyurl.com/shiftycasualapply or contact any of the officers for additional information.

Contacts:
      Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Tenss - Guild Master - tenspeed#1198
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417
    • Battleground Bonus Event is Live!
      By Blainie
      The battleground bonus event is underway! It will run from 29th June - 4th July, so make sure you take advantage of it!
      For those of you that are unsure, the Battleground Bonus Event will allow you to earn triple the normal amount of honor in battlegrounds this week. If you're looking for the most efficient ways to gear up, read below:
      Make sure you've picked up the weekly event quest: A Call to Battle. This will reward you with 500 Conquest Points and 500 Valor. Queue with friends to avoid games filled with non-listeners and bots. If gear is your primary concern, make sure you eliminate the slower battlegrounds, such as Strand of the Ancients, in order to make sure you get through as many as possible. Always queue for the random battleground, since you are able to get extra rewards upon winning, such as Gold Strongbox. If you were wondering where to spend your hard-earned honor points, the vendors are located in your faction-relevant Ashran bases. Your honor will buy you item level 700 gear, which is raised to 730 in PvP combat, and your conquest will buy you item level 710 gear, which is raised to 740.
      If you have finished farming your honor gear, make sure you get straight into ranked arenas and start getting yourself some conquest gear!