Damien

WoW down to 9.6M subscribers - Thoughts?

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

Activision-Blizzard made the press release for their quarterly results (Q4 2012) available before the actual conference call. On page three, you will find the announcement about the WoW subscribers, which they define as follows (on page five):

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

I'm a bit disappointed by the number, I have to say. I find Mists of Pandaria to be a really good expansion and things will only get better with Patch 5.2 (the new daily quest hub is just awesome, so far).

One thing I regret is that they never release the numbers by zone. In particular, I would like to know how the number of subscribers in Europe and in North America has varied over the years (mostly because this is the readership we target with this website).

That would definitely be interesting to see which areas gained/lost the most players. I've only been playing for the past 2 years but I love this game. My guess may be that, at least in the US, with the declining economy people can't afford it. I know a good bit of people that stopped playing due to money. Could also just be the length of time WoW has been out. Some players may just be burnt out. I know I lose interest sometimes and stop playing for a few weeks.

There's also many more gaming options these days. For Wow to manage 9.6M subscribers today is absolutely amazing.

Also, "Mists of Pandaria was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail." Amazing.

Edited by Stasis

A game that has been running since February 2005 still has 9.6 MILLION subscribers? I think that says everything. I can't even remember a game in past history that keeps millions of people playing 8 years after it's initial release. Very impressive overall in my opinion!

Edited by Tiitch

I am not surprised as they have lost some people over certain changes to make the game more friendly to certain players. Also with the release of Diablo 3 they had a lot of people change which games they were playing. Starcraft 2 also has a pretty good base of players who switched form WoW plus I have noticed a couple people on my friends list playing it more often and I would attribute that to the upcoming expansion.

Nothing can stay huge forever and one thing stopping people from joining the band wagon is the cost to get started. Vanilla cost me 40 when I started to play. Right now even with sales it would cost around 100 to get started on top of the monthly fee. If they were to throw a free month in on each expansion or at least the newest one it would probably get some more people to convert.

This tier of raiding is always daunting. The progress of most guilds is stunted because 3 separate raids makes planning for them difficult. Consider this:

Heroic Stone Guard is often killed before normal Sha of Fear. This gives the allure that heroic modes are easy. Groups then go and attempt Heroic Feng...and wipe, but they get it eventually. Lots of 2/6H MSV guilds out there. Gara'jal is the first 'DPS Check' wall. Once you have the gear, this fight is trivial. But consider the difficulty of Spirit Kings...many guilds skip over this to do Heroic Elegon due to its ease. In fact, you have 2 (or arguably 3) heroic mode encounters in Heart of Fear that are easier than Spirit Kings and Will of the Emperors. There's even an accessible Heroic mode in Terrace that you can do before knocking off Spirit Kings. A passable progressive order looks like this:

Stone Guard - Feng - Gara'jal - Elegon - Blade Lord - Wind Lord - Garalon - Lei Shi - Spirit Kings - Will of the Emperors - Vizier - Amber Shaper - Protectors - Shek'zeer - Tsulong - Sha of Fear

In terms of zones, it looks like this...

MSV - MSV - MSV - MSV - HoF - HoF - HoF - ToES - MSV - MSV - HoF - HoF - ToES - HoF - ToES - ToES

Some groups have tried to clear MSV before moving on which limits their growth and gear acquisition as well as their progression. This creates frustration amongst some groups as others go on to clear more and be better because of a better planned access path. Think back to T11 when we had to bounce back and forth between Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, and Throne of the Four Winds. Halfus was very accessible as well as the double dragons...but Ascendent Council? Guilds often didn't down this until their 9th or 10th heroic out of the 12 (13 if you count Sinestra). However, most of these groups came back in Firelands and tackled 6/7H either before nerf or definitely after the nerf. At least they all got to do progression in the same place.

I'm anticipating a number of players returning for 5.2 and sticking it out. This raid looks as if it will be Ulduar 2.0 which will make many people, myself included, absolutely ecstatic. I personally have dealt with people leaving and quitting the game only to come back for a new patch, so I'm sure the general population will repeat that pattern.

I quit mid WotLK and didn't play Cataclysm at all and was quite surprised at the "ease" the game has been equipped with. Lots of improvements, yes. But still...

Curious to see what impact Elder Scrolls online has on WOW subscriptions. I'd probably still play WOW but I would like the variety if ESO manages to show some originality.

I'm anticipating FF14's improved release. Most games I enjoy have lost their values...I have to do crazy things like take the Nemesis out with a knife only in Resident Evil 3...or play one of those ridiculous Super Mario World hacks. 5.2 has brought a lot of fun for me back, and the new dailies string is nice. I dreaded that it would include doing all of Stage 1 over and over + Stage 2. Instead, Stage 2 gave you 1 new set of dailies, 2 old ones for familiarity, and it showed you HOW they actually got there. Pretty cool all in all...it's taken the best of the MoP daily system and made it less tedius yet still require some time commitment. The extra you get from dailies (keys, summonable creatures, etc) are a nice perk to keep the monotony down. The normal modes of the raids were a bit relaxed as once you learn the mechanics, the fight gets super easy. There is no DPS wall or anything, so hopefully heroics bring out the best in players and finding ways to overcome obstacles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

The Mythic Dungeon Invitational continues with weekend 2 and it's time for European and American teams to take their shot.
      It all started last week with APAC & China. Two teams per region are advancing to the next stage of the competition. Blizzard is putting the following affixes into play during the competition:
      Affix 1
      Affix 2
      Affix 3
      Sanguine
      Quaking
      Tyrannical
      Teeming
      Volcanic
      Tyrannical
      Bolstering
      Explosive
      Fortified
      Raging
      Grievous
      Fortified
      Explosive
      Volcanic
      Teeming
      Weekend 2: Europe and the Americas
      Europe: Saturday, September 23 at 5:00 a.m. PDT The Americas: Sunday, September 24 at 9:00 a.m PDT Watch Live

Stay tuned for more coverage.
    • By Stan

A source of the latest information related to Patch 7.3 and beyond!
      Our Patch 7.3 hub organizes all 7.3 data and latest news coverage in a single place.
      Welcome to our centralized hub dedicated to the biggest patch ever introduced to World of Warcraft. For easier navigation, we'll keep it updated throughout testing by adding links to our latest coverage, so that you won't miss out on any important information.
      Patch 7.3
      Patch 7.3 titled "Shadows of Argus" is now live. For more information we suggest reading our Shadows of Argus Survival Guide. All our class guides have been updated with Netherlight Crucible trait recommendations.
      Official Patch Notes Invasion Points Guide // Greater Invasion Points Guide Undocumented Changes in Patch 7.3 List of Known Issues Mythic Keystone Runs & Difficulty Changes Returning Player Guide Reputation Guides (Argussian Reach & Army of the Light) Relinquished & Unsullied Token Clarifications Blizzplanet's Gamescom Interview with Ion Hazzikostas Ion Hazzikostas Patch 7.3 Interview  Content Rollout Schedule Dungeons (M+) Changes Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      The following hotfixes have been applied to live servers so far:
      Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 22 *new* Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 19 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 16 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 13 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 12 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 8 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 6 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 5 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 1 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 30 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 29 Build Highlights // Class Changes
      In this section, you will find the most recent changes sorted by build.
      Patch 7.3 Build 24853 Patch 7.3 Build 24727  Patch 7.3 Build 24651 Patch 7.3 Build 24608 // Feral Druid // Frost DK & Mage Changes Patch 7.3: Upcoming Frost Death Knight Changes Patch 7.3 Build 24539 // Patch 7.3 Feral Druid Changes Patch 7.3.0 Build 24500 Patch 7.3.0 Build 24473 Dev Notes
      Blizzard usually posts on the official forums once a new PTR build is deployed to test realms, giving an overview of new features that become available for testing.
      Build 24829 Build 24608 Build 24539 Build 24500 Build 24473 Artifact Power & Advancement
      In Patch 7.3, you will be able to unlock the Netherlight Crucible, a new way of Artifact customization via relics.
      Artifact Knowledge Changes The Netherlight Crucible Guide Antorus the Burning Throne
      The new raid is currently tested on PTR and will be available in Patch 7.3.5.
      Antorus, the Burning Throne Raid Preview (Build 24473) Antorus Raid Rewards Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 1 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 2 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 3 Antorus & The Pantheon Legion Ending & Next Expansion Leaks New Creature Models (Antorus Bosses, Titans, Lore Characters) (Build 24473) Tier 21 Sets
      In Antorus, you will find Tier 21 Sets dropping from the bosses.
      Tier 21 Sets Preview (Normal Tints) // Mythic Tints Tier 21 Death Knight (Build 24608) Tier 21 Demon Hunter (Build 25021) *new* Tier 21 Druid (Build 24500) Tier 21 Mage (Build 24651) Tier 21 Monk (Build 24539) Tier 21 Paladin (Build 24539) Tier 21 Priest (Build 24500) Tier 21 Rogue (Build 24539) Tier 21 Warlock (24651) Argus & Gameplay Videos
      Argus is a new planet that has three zones. Krokuun, Mac'Aree and Antoran Wastes. In the following articles, you will find detailed information about all the different zones.
      How to Get to Argus (Intro) Vindicaar Matrix Core Powers & Assessment Argus Gameplay Part 1 (up to Krokuun) (Build 24473) Argus Gameplay Part 2 (End of Chapter 1) (Build 24500) Argus Gameplay Part 3 (Mac'Aree) (Build 24539) New Factions
      Two new factions have been added to the game in Patch 7.3.
      Argussian Reach (Faction) Preview Army of Light Faction Preview Weapons of the Lightforged (Build 24473) Gearing & Alts
      All useful information in terms of gearing and alts.
      Reputation Catch-up & New Heirloom Amulet Unsullied & Confiscated Gear Veiled Argunite & New Gear Tokens Invasion Points
      A new type of repeatable content, aka scenarios with different stages with the goal to defeat a boss at the end.
      Invasion Points // "Lesser & Greater Rifts" Coming to WoW Invasion Point: Blood (Build 24539) Invasion Point: Ice (Build 24539) Seat of the Triumvirate
      A new five-player dungeon located in Mac'Aree (Argus)
      Seat of the Triumvirate (Dungeon) (Build 24608) New Transmog Items (Build 24500) Missions
      New Champion Equipment & Missions Mounts
      New Mounts (Build 24473) Lightforged Golem Mount Shackled Ur'zul (Mythic Argus Mount) Pets
      How to Tame Panthara Pets *new* New Tameable Hunter Pets (Build 24781) New Pets (Build 24473) New Pets (Build 24853) Professions
      New Profession Updates (Build 24473) // The Future of Obliterum World Bosses
      New World Bosses (Build 24473) New Caster Animations
      In Patch 7.3, several caster Classes received updates to their animations.
      Official Preview Druid, Mage, Shaman Animations (Build 24473) Priest Animations (Build 24473) Restoration Shaman Animations (Build 24500)
    • By Starym

A small batch today as we get a Brewfest healing issue fixed, Argus invasion points get a mob nerf and Warlock mounts are flashy once again!
      September 22 (source)
      Achievements
      Fixed a bug that excluded certain repeatable Highmountain Clan chests from counting toward the Treasures of Highmountain Achievement. Argus
      Invasion Points Crazed Corruptors’ Shadow Bolt spell now deals significantly less damage. Classes
      Warlock Wrathsteeds will once again leave glowing hoofprints while flying. Event
      Corin Direbrew Healing should now scale properly with player level. Previous Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      September 19 September 16 September 13 September 12 September 8
    • By Chumani
      Aka'magosh my raider friends! Chumani here from Corrupted Destiny guild (Horde) on Skywall/Drak'thul realms. We are currently recruiting for our core team for mythic raiding. We are 8/9 H ToS....  Consistant and Dependable members! (Who can handle cutting up and getting yelled at.... by a certain mage in our guild.... who cuts up too.... and won't admit it..... and puts down fake portals.... every week..... and people still take them.... to their death..... really......week..... after week.... to their death...... seriously)
      As always we are recruiting raiders and non raiders.
      *****GIRLS***** We have a large number of female gamers who do not have to worry about harrasment of any kind...we just will not tolerate this... and our group is like family. Come see for yourself!
      Tired of the ridiculous harassment from the opposite sex? You will be safe with us! Mature gamers who do not condone this behaviour!
      Our raid schedule is Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday 6:30pm to 9:00pm server time(pst)
      We use MUMBLE voice server, it is required and no exceptions!
      We currently have an "Alt" raid for alts and non-progression raiders on Mondays at the same time! MEGA amounts of fun there, alot of us use our mains to carry this raid and help gear these raiders up!
      Other guild events include: Herb Drives, Fishing Expo, Mog off! (Best transmog wins), Old Raids for Transmog gear & Mythic Plus runs. We do random guild events with prizes up to and including a FREE MONTH OF WOW! (Mog-Off is going on NOW!!)
      We have quite a bit of fun when we get together, as we always have over the years! Come join us and get corrupted (Disclaimer: Infections have been found to be the leading cause of corruption in many raiders) We've always been here and will continue to be here! Of course you will be required to sacrifice a goat or an alliance player once a week to the Horde gods..... You will also be required to laugh and have fun as well! We do have fun!
      So.......COME.......GET.......CORRUPTED!
      Chu@12466 - Deni#1743 - Cykopathyk#1366
      ***Newest video highlighting some of our girls!****
      (We are just huge nerds who see ourselves as badass warriors!... ok!)
      ******We also have one of our members who has published some 'how to' videos for certain in game mounts!!*** Keep eye out for Barcat, one of our casual members and professional mount hoarder and his youtube channel for these vids! Will post one in comment below*******
      http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=247413
    • By Stan

Senior Art Director Samwise Didier conducted an AMA on reddit yesterday and we looked at the most interesting answers to your questions.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Mister Samwise, you have no idea how many of your artworks have been used as wallpapers. Thank you so much for all the incredibile illustrations you have brought us!
      Thank you! I am glad that the art I create is enjoyed by other people besides my imaginary friends. : ) Thanks again.
      New Elite Tauren Chieftain song when?
      Don't know when but we did try a power ballad called Female Dwarven Paladin. Maybe that is next?
      Chris Metzen looks like he'd be fun to work with but an absolute monster. Do you have any funny stories about interactions with him?
      He is super fun to create with. Some of my fondest memories are when we were creating War III. He always made his Orcs more human proportioned and my Orcs were always more brutish. We made it so that the more intelligent and noble Orcs, like Thrall, had the Metzen proportions, and the primal and savage dudes, like Samuro and Hellscream, had my art style.
      I've always loved your work! You have mentioned before that Samuro is based on a D&D character you made called Grumok the Wanderer. Are there any other Warcraft (or other Blizz characters) out there from your D&D adventures, and who are they?
      Uther was based off a blind Paladin I created artwork for. In one arm he carried a book of Honor. In the other, Virtue. It was a pencil drawing I did in '95. The look of Illidan was based off another character I did as well. The stories were created here by Metzen and the War III team but the original art was from before. Funny that Uther ended up not being blind and Illidan did. There are others as well but that is for the next AMA.
      When the Mists of Pandaria expansion was first revealed, the response from players was divided. While many were hyped that the Pandaren were finally coming to WoW (me included), there was also significant backlash. How did you feel about that initial response, as creator of the Pandaren?
      I was ok with it. I understand how important WoW is to people. One person's WoW is different from another's. Some people love the original Warcraft and don't want anything to change. Others love the ever evolving world. I'm glad we were finally able to include them into the world.
      What do you do to work through artists block? Are there any exercises that can get you right back into drawing despite feeling stuck?
      ou should never have artist's block. If you have free time, don't go onto your phone, or social media and the like. Think about your next image, your next project. I do a lot of my creative thinking in the car on my way to work. No music. No books on tape. It is quiet time to think about the project and figure out what I want to do. So the next time I sit in front of my sketchbook, I am prepared.
      My saying is ABC. Always Be Creating. That is what I try to embrace everyday. My story, The Last Winter, was born from this ideology. BOOM, blatant plug. :)
      I have 2 questions, if that's alright!
      What's your process to develop character designs? Do you just start with a doodle and start adjusting to fit the game's art style and themes, or maybe a silhouette?
      How did ETC get started? What's been your favorite experience as part of it?
      Some ideas come from myself and the art team, others come out of necessity because of the design needs. When creating my own art for The Last Winter, I had no constraints other than what I wanted to create for the story. In my opinion, that's the most fun--when it's just an artist, his creativity, and a sketchpad or computer.
      Blatant plug #2,718.
      ETC got started when it was suggested that our cover band did a Warcraft-inspired song for the end credits of The Frozen Throne. We didn't have a lot of time so we swapped the lyrics from one of our songs and replaced them with Warcraft stuff. BOOM-power of the Horde!
      As an art director what are the qualities you look for in your team of artists? (3D Character/Concept Art)
      A good artist, you have to be able to draw. Someone who knows the Blizzard art style so we don't have to train them. Someone who knows programs like Photoshop or Maya/Max and Zbrush since these are the ones we use at work. A good passion for Blizzard games and someone who's a solid team player.
      What are your top bands to listen to while you work? (I've been recently blasting Hammerfall or Eluetie)
      Lately I've been listening to a lot of Alestorm, Dropkick Murphy's, and a whole bunch of HP Lovecraft stories.
      You said once in a recent interview I listened to that your heroes are just an e-mail away. Would you ever be open to an artist e-mailing you as a fan and to ask questions? (Of course I would never want to annoy you, and I hope others think the same)
      Yes! You can message my Twitter account whenever you want - @SamwiseDidier (I'm usually only on about once a week so don't stress if I don't respond immediately)
      Do you still play D&D? (At least I think you played it in the past, or people you knew did)
      Yes. It's now mostly saved for weekend-long campaigns up in Big Bear with my friends from high school that I still hang out with.
      What class/race did you play in WoW? Do you still play?
      I always loved how old WoW and the icons looked cartoony, I could easily recognize your style! From the wolves and gnoll snarls to the coloring and shading on armor/weapons. And with the old buildings as well!
      Oh totally, I play mainly Alliance and Gnomes ; )
      FOR GNOMEREGAN!
      Thanks, I really loved doing all the button and icon art. I'm still doing it on Heroes of the Storm.
      Do you have any tips for a guy that loves concept art and game art in general, but can barely draw stick figures? I'd love to be able to create the ideas in my head, but i just dont seem to get them on paper.
      PS: I absolutely love your work, so thanks for the inspiration.
      Practice. That is the main thing. If you aren't able to come up with your own ideas, look at the artists you like and draw their stuff. There are a ton of tutorials on YouTube, deviantArt and other sites that you can watch, learn, and grow.
      Patience. You will need to realize that you aren't going to be good at first. Maybe for a while. Have patience. Keep practicing.
      Perseverance. You will need to keep trying and practicing your art if you want to get better. Don't get demoralized. There will always be someone better. There will always be someone worse. Learn from one, help out the other.
      ABC! Always Be Creating!
      Being creative can be exhausting. What do you do to refill your tank?
      If I'm getting exhausted working on something, I'll stop working on that and start working on something fresh. That way I can still be creating, but I don't feel tired or frustrated.
      Do the pandyr share any relation to pandaren?
      Also, was the adjustment of pandaren headbands in 7.0 in WoW intentional (https://i.imgur.com/rdl0eyK.png), and will it be readjusted to be how it was before? Currently it looks very much broken, too small and moved up too high. I'm afraid it's going to remain like this.
      No. And they don't wear headbands. . .
      Just kidding. The Pandyr were created after seeing a certain Black Metal band, playing in full corpse paint, in the snow, singing about dark and black grimness. I thought they looked like Viking pandas. Thus, the Pandyr were born. They are denizens of Mistgard, a mountainous island that is set between Icegard, the realm of the frost giants, and Firehome, the land of the fire giants. The Last Winter is set in the final days of Mistgard, where the oceans freeze, and the giants start to march.
      Blatant plug #2.
      Headband-wise, I will bring this up to the WoW art guys and see what can be done. Sorry I don't have a better answer for this part. I am currently working on Heroes of the Storm, which you can play now for free!
      Blatant plug #3.
      What are the chances of your books coming to Brazil in Portuguese?
      I believe the only language that it will be translated to currently is French. Hopefully there will be more in the future!
      Love your work and enthusiasm, Sam. How do you maintain a level of excitement for what you do?
      I don’t know, really. I think it mostly stems from the creation aspect of art, story, music, whatever. I am most excited when I am creating art for today and jamming on ideas for tomorrow.
      What is/was your favourite piece that you did?
      I don't really have a favorite piece. I love many pieces of art I've made before, but what I'm always really thinking about is what I'm going to create next.
      There's always one more picture to draw. There's always one more story to tell.
      Why was you face chosen for the old icon-less spells in WoW so long ago? Was it just a joke that made it to live by accident or did you just get lucky that it was you face?
      I was responsible for creating the bulk of the icons for our games back in the day. Games like Warcraft 1-3, StarCraft 1, and even as far back as Lost Vikings and Rock and Roll Racing. So when WoW was getting going, I was asked if I could help create buttons/icons for the game. There were literally hundreds, if not thousands to do and that image got put in as the “missing artwork” icon. If there was a button that was missing a piece of art, my image would show up telling whoever saw it that I had some more art to do. At least, that is how I remember it.
      Sam! I love everything you have ever done. (Including your rad hair)
      I look forward to reading your book!!!
      Question - if you could retire anywhere in the world of Azeroth, and spend your golden years with a nice plot of land where would it be and why?
      (I think I would pick The Jade Forest because it seems so peaceful.)
      AND
      Would you rather live in Azeroth or Pandyr?
      I would have a few vacation spots. One would be in Dun the Morogh/Kharanos, hanging out at the Thunderbrew Distillery. My second would be in the Barrens. Say what you want about the Barrens but as soon as I cross the bridge from Orgrimmar into the Barrens and hear that music queue up, I am home. Zangar Marsh is another one. One of the prettiest places in WoW. Plus, being a dude whose family is from Louisiana, all that funky swamp life would go into my pot and make some killer gumbo.
      As to living in Azeroth or Mistgard, that’s the name of the island where the Pandyr live, I have lived in both for years now. I might have to turn the question around to you, after you pick up the book and give it a read. . . BOOOOOOOM, BLATANT PLUG FTW!!!
      Greetings Samwise! If I may ask, I'm curious about something that's very important to me. I am a bit of an aspiring artist of sorts, in the sense that I really... want to do it, but never have time or, more importantly, the drive/motivation whether it be due to work or issues in the home and whatnot. Honestly I'm pretty terrible and haven't gotten that much better simply because I never get around to it, I admit.
      I suppose my question is simply, prior to actually working for Blizzard, what gave you the drive to practice? What kinds of conditions did you have to work and/or push yourself against and how did you find the time and energy to do so?
      I apologize if this is too intense a line of questioning but I'd really appreciate any answer, thanks!
      Art was always something that came easy to me. Whether I was drawing with crayons back in kindergarten or using the newfangled gadgets we have today. I never had to push it. It was something I just naturally did. On blue-lined notebook paper in school, to the back of bathroom check sheets at the movie theater I worked at prior to Blizz. If you have to force yourself to do something, then it is just a job. I never had to force myself to create so art had never been a job to me. Even now, when it is my actual job, it still is way more than that to me.
      You and Chris Metzen are my two artist heroes from Blizzard's long history. I'm really digging the style of your new book by looking at the art. Would you mind sharing what inspires you?
      Silence! Oh, I’m sorry, I am not telling you to be quiet. I am saying, I get inspired by silence. And solitude. No noise, no distractions. I can think. . . I can run ideas around in my head. It is hard to create something when you are distracted. Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book.
      Hail Samwise!
      I've always loved your artwork and have always made a point of attending the artists' stage at Blizzcon, in part just because I love watching the various members of the art team, but also to watch you at your craft.
      That said, I'm curious as to how much you've had to dedicate to practice to get to where you are in your art? Do you spend time every day working on artwork, or are you intermittent with it? Any recommendations for improving our own skills? (Asking for myself and a friend who also admires your work).
      Thank you in advance! :D
      It depends on the person. I have drawn and created art nearly every day of my life, and even more so since joining Blizzard. But there are many people I personally know who don’t draw nearly as much as I do and they are way better than I am. Even then, I don’t believe they do it intermittently. I personally don’t set aside time to draw or create, it is what I naturally gravitate to and I do it every time I am not doing something else.
      I am such a big fan of you Mr. Samwise, you brought MoP to reality and it is my favorite expac and I can never be grateful enough for that :D
      My question for you today is, what is your advice to someone trying to start his career of game design at Blizzard? I love Blizz and would love to put my talents to work there but with how competitive it is, I'm not sure how to stand out. I'd appreciate any advice .^
      First, have you applied? That would be the first thing to do to get noticed. : )
      Second, I am not a game designer so I’m not exactly sure how you would stand out as a game designer. If you were an artist, I would suggest posting Blizzard fan artwork on our community pages. Get people talking about your art. I have hired multiple artists to my team, and it all started from seeing their fan artwork online. Another way is to try to contact some of the artists or other devs and ask them for feedback on your stuff. Blizzard also has many positions open at a multitude of skill levels, from associate level to senior and director level. You should even consider applying to non-design related jobs at Blizzard. Most of the art and design producers I work with daily came from inside Blizzard, from our Billing, Customer Service, QA, and GM departments. Blizzard is really good about hiring people from within Blizzard. Now, if you can’t get into Blizzard right now, whether it is lack of experience or whatever reason, try some other companies in or around your area, even a startup. Once you get a job with a game company, you can learn the tools, learn the process of game development, and grow your talents and development experience. In a year or two, apply again. Or, you may love where you are and decide to stay and grow with the company. Good luck! I wish thee much fortune on your quest. See you soon!