Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0rinda

hearthstone Hearthstone: Brode and Whirthun Comment on the Meta

1 post in this topic

15584-hearthstone-brode-and-whirthun-com

Lead Game Designer, Ben Brode, and Community Manager, Robert "Whirtrun" Wing, have made separate comments about the state of the meta. Brode's was made from a Blizzard insider standpoint, while Whirthun's was made from a player point of view.

Whirthun was replying to a post on the battle.net forums asking how to get back into the game. He gave this reply.

Blizzard Icon Whirthun

My personal opinion is that the meta's kind of wide open now. You'll definitely run into your share of Secret Paladins, Aggro Druids, Zoo Locks and Face Hunters, but you'll also see a fair few Reno Locks, Control/Patron Warriors, Freeze Mages, and Fatigue Priests. I even had a weird day where I saw like eight Tempo Mages in a row.

I went from 17 to 2 with Tempo Mage, and then from 2 to Legend with a mix of Aggro Shaman/Midrange Druid. Been mostly playing Patron at Legend, because it handles aggro so well.

My recommendation (as it ever is) is to play what you enjoy most, and feel most competent as!

(source)

A few hours later, Brode replied to a question on Twitter:

What caught my attention is that both Brode and Whirthun seem comfortable that the current meta is diverse. Many players at the moment feel that Secret Paladin is way too prevalent, but Brode will have access to the data showing how much has changed since the bot banwave. Individual players who dislike Secret Paladin will still have huge amounts of confirmation bias to overcome, as well as a small sample size, which leads me to believe that either a huge number of bots were banned, or Brode knows that there's a card coming soon that will likely counter Secret Paladin.

On top of that Whirthun is comfortable saying what he thinks. He chose to enter the thread, as opposed to being directly asked a question, so there is no company defence required. I suspect that there are far fewer Secret Paladin decks than there were. Obviously the deck is powerful, and is still going to turn up a reasonable percentage of the time, but if you're a hater of Secret Paladin it might be worth keeping some stats on how often you're bumping into it. There's a good chance you're seeing it less often than you feel you are.

The good news here is that if I'm wrong, we'll likely have an answer to the deck as soon as the next set of cards is released. It is also clear that keeping an eye on the meta is something that Blizzard are constantly in touch with, even if they don't always seem to act on it.

I know many people have something to say about Secret Paladin and the meta in general, and not all will agree with me, so don't be afraid to use the comments below to discuss the topic.