Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zadina

blizzard Blizzard Executives Talk About the Company's Strategy in the Future

1 post in this topic

16010-blizzard-executives-talk-about-the

Blizzard Entertainment's president and co-founder Michael Morhaime, senior vice president and co-founder Frank Pearce, and senior vice president Chris Metzen had a chat with Venturebeat about the company in general and its future.

A large part of Venturebeat's article is dedicated to Blizzard's greatest achievements and its philosophy, things that we all more or less know about the company. The talk about the three executives' goals was more enlightening.

First of all, they are watching the innovations in the area of Virtual Reality, but they don't have immediate plans to start development on it. Instead, they think that the future is in mobile games. Frank Pearce mentioned that Overwatch and StarCraft are two franchises that could work as mobile games, especially since the company has deep heritage in real-time strategy. However, the RTS genre needs to be re-invented, since 45-min missions don't work anymore for most players. Michael Morhaime added that there's a big opportunity to develop mobile games that are not 'just casual'.

The article also has some impressive stats about the Hearthstone mobile app. Specifically, it has made $500 million since its debut in 2013, and it’s the leader in the $1.2 billion digital card game market. It's one of the top 40 grosses for iOS sales, too.

Moving on to a different topic, the three executives highlighted that the company plans to be faster and more efficient with updates for all of its franchises. Pearce noted that one of the greatest challenges is figuring out a way to do more with less manpower. An answer to this challenge would be to make it easier for players to create and share in content in Blizzard games, something that the company wants to expand on in the future.

Esports were obviously mentioned as being fundamental during the development of Blizzard games. Lastly, some of the other goals of the three executives are reaching out to and representing a bigger and more diverse audience in their games, as well as encouraging a better ingame behaviour and communication.

Feel free to read the entire article here.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zadina
      Dave Kosak announced on Twitter that he is now part of the Hearthstone team.
      Dave Kosak is best known as the Lead Narrative (Quest) Designer for World of Warcraft, his role being the creation of "overarching story vision for the franchise" and its implementation ingame. Today, Kosak announced that he is now working with the Hearthstone team.
      Placeholder for tweet 803683460330102784 What could this mean for the future of both franchises? Well, we've recently seen that Hearthstone is becoming more independent from World of Warcraft by having its own unique characters and unexplored storylines. League of Explorers and the soon-to-be-released Mean Streets of Gadgetzan expansion are good examples of how Hearthstone slowly deviated from its origins. We've also seen Hearthstone characters find their way into World of Wacraft: for example, Sir Finley is a quest giver in Legion.
      It's possible that the devs want to expand even further on the lore of Hearthstone, perhaps making it a separate, spin-off universe altogether. Moreover, it's not entirely unlikely that the story of Hearthstone can inspire the story of World of Warcraft in the future and not the other way around as it was the case up until now.
      At any case, we wish Dave the best of luck in his new position!
    • By Realbookwurm
      Celebrating the life of a Blizzard employee through the games he helped craft.

Well this is not new news, in fact we had reported about the sudden appearance of 
      Kanai's Stomping Grounds the day it occurred, Blizzard has released an official acknowledgement of this previously unknown level.

The post on Battle.net addresses the appearance of the level, confirms that this will be a part of the game annually, and summarises who Kevin was to Blizzard. 

Blizzard has done an exceptional job of honoring one of their fallen with this tribute, and I just wanted to highlight it so that more people can understand the man behind the reason. 

Normally, I urge readers to drop their comments below, but this time I urge you to take any nice things you have to say over to the actual post.

Thanks for reading guys, and stay tuned.

• By Starym
      It came as quite a shock to all of us when Chris Metzen announced he was retiring, not only from Blizzard but from gaming in general. Now, in an interview with Scott Johnson of the Instance podcast, Chris talks about the reasons behind his decision. The whole thing is well worth a listen, but here are some highlights:.
      "Leaving Blizzard was an incredibly difficult thing. I'd been there since, essentially, I was a kid. I think I was 19 when I got hired and it was my whole life, it was my identity. And it was in many ways, all-consuming. It was just incredible, but there can be a cost sometimes to running that hard."
      As expected, developing Titan and then transforming it into Overwatch was extremely difficult and took its toll.
      "I think during those years I burned out really hard. I think in my heart, I needed a change in my life. I wanted to slow down, I wanted to just not carry the weight of it all. But when you've been at a company like Blizzard for as long as I have, I think about Shawshank Redemption: I'm an institutional man now. I'm a Blizzard guy, through and through. I love that place. I love the people. It made me feel schizophrenic."
      "I started having panic attacks left and right and just non-stop anxiety. Before I finally retired, I think I had been having panic attacks all the time, but I didn't know what they were. Kat and I would go on dates to go to a movie and almost all the time, I would start panicking in the middle of a movie. I had no idea what was going on."
      That and his new born daughter added up to the decision to leave Blizzard and the wider gaming world behind, a decision we can all respect, and, in our own selfish way, be saddened by.
      Unfortunately SoundCloud embeds don't seem to be working right now so you can listen to the full interview here.
      Via Eurogamer.
    • By Starym
      42 million monthly active users across all Blizzard games and more data from the quarterly financial report.

Activision Blizzard shared their quarterly financial report and boy did they have something to report. It seems in Q3 of 2016 Blizzard had the biggest quarterly online player community in its history, with 42 million monthly active users across all games. This number has doubled in the last two years with the primary user sources being Overwatches huge popularity (it was the fastest Blizzard game to reach 20 million players), Legion's launch and Hearthstone which also had record  monthly users for the quarter.
      In more detailed statistical news, the overall number is up 25% quarter-over-quarter and 50% year-over-year, with Legion growing WoW's monthly active user numbers by 30% quarter-over-quarter. As you'd expect, game engagement also followed suit, with record daily and weekly active users, unique users and play time, and even the Legion companion app saw millions of users  loging into it 4-5 times a day. It seems Blizzard has a lot to celebrate at Blizzcon these next few days, so let's all join in the fun and be proud to be part of such a massive community!
      For an even more detailed look at Acti-Blizz's finances you can check out the full report.
    • By Zadina
      As the release date for the DVD and Blu-ray of Warcraft approaches, let's take a look at the rewards you can get in Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft by purchasing either version.
      Physical copies of Warcraft on DVD and Blu-ray will have some lucrative goodies for fans of the Warcraft universe. The copies will come with digital codes for a Medivh Mage hero in Hearthstone, Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm and another copy of World of Warcraft with 30 days of game time.
      Warcraft will be available on September 27 in the U.S. and Canada. It is not known when it is going to be released in Europe and the rest of the world, although French sites report that this should happen around the 11th of October. Lastly, it is not sure if there will be a similar offer in the rest of the world, although we find it unlikely that it won't happen.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      From Legendary and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, WARCRAFT is preparing to invade homes worldwide, and it’s bringing a trio of movie-inspired digital extras from Blizzard Entertainment into battle! Inside select physical editions of WARCRAFT on Blu-ray™ and DVD, movie fans will find digital keys that unlock the following extras for a trio of Blizzard games:
      Medivh Hero in Hearthstone – Unleash your favorite Mage deck as the Guardian of Tirisfal. Gul’dan Hero in Heroes of the Storm – Rain fel fire down upon the Nexus as this twisted orc Assassin. Digital copy of World of Warcraft – Start your own adventure in Azeroth—or ask a friend to join you on your journey. Includes 30 days of game time for new players. These goodies are available inside select physical WARCRAFT Blu-ray™ and DVD editions only while supplies last. Be sure to pick up your copy wherever Blu-ray™ and DVDs are sold.
      WARCRAFT is available September 27 in the U.S. and Canada, and throughout September and October worldwide. Check product and promotion availability with your local retailers, as extras may differ outside the U.S. and Canada.
      (source)