Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zadina

wow The World of Warcraft 2016 Road to BlizzCon

2 posts in this topic

20343-the-world-of-warcraft-2016-road-to

Blizzard has released an overview of the rules for this year's World of Warcraft Arena World Championship. These rules have caused mostly negative responses from the community.

Before we begin to discuss the issues presented by this year's rules, we will firstly cite them below:

Blizzard Icon Blizzard Entertainment

The 2016 World of Warcraft Arena World Championship will soon be getting underway! With the recent announcement that the Legion expansion will launch starting on August 30, we wanted to provide more details to help European and North American teams who are looking to compete in this year’s Arena World Championship prepare for battle.

To kick things off, three qualifier cups will be held in both regions to decide the teams advancing to the Regional Championships. These cups will be played in the Warlords of Draenor expansion. After these qualifier cups are complete, we will transition to Legion for the American and European Regional Championships, as well as the World Championships at BlizzCon 2016.

Overview of Rules

As this year’s Road to BlizzCon spans two expansions, we are also making some changes to the rules for 2016.
  • As previously announced, teams may once again have a 4-player roster.
  • Once a team has qualified for their Regionals, the team may make one roster swap of one player.
    • Only one roster swap is allowed, and it must be completed before the 6 p.m. PT on September 14, 2016.
    • The roster swap is available to teams with either 3 or 4 players.
    • A 3-player team may use their roster swap to add a fourth person to their roster.
  • If a player on a 4-player team is unable to attend an in-person tournament, that team may continue as a 3-player team.
    • If the team still has their roster swap available, they may use it to add a new fourth player (up until the roster swap deadline).
    • If the team has already used their roster swap, they may not make further additions.
  • It is no longer necessary for all members of a 4-player team to have played in a tournament match in order for all 4 players to advance to Regionals.
  • There is no Arena rating requirement for entry in 2016.
  • The qualifier cups will each have a prize pool.
    • Teams may continue to play in future cups for their region once they have qualified for Regionals.

More details on eligibility, qualifier dates, and complete official rules will be coming soon!

(source)

A first issue is that the qualifier cups will be played in the Warlords of Draenor expansion, but the Regionals and the World Championships will be played in the Legion expansion. This somewhat makes sense, given that Legion will be released on August 31, but still it will be quite challenging for all of the contestants to master new classes and compositions in around 2 months.

The other two issues are slightly more problematic. For the first time ever, this year it is allowed that teams make one roster swap of one player. The problem that arises from this rule is that players can technically pay a large amount of money to buy a spot in a qualified team. Moreover, teams that have qualified for the Regionals can still participate in the other qualifier cups, thus making wintrading possible.

Something else to note is that the prizepool for the 2016 World of Warcraft Arena World Championship has been reduced compared to previous years. It is also the lowest prizepool out of all the World Championships for other Blizzard games that will be held during BlizzCon 2016.

Well-known PvPer and member of Method's PvP team Cdew has summarised all these issues in the following video. Even though tensions run high and strong language is used in this video, Cdew's words echo the opinion of the rest of the WoW community on these rules.

Some time ago, Blainie had an interview with Venruki about PvP in Legion. Venruki had raised another issue that has been plaguing WoW PvP: botting. Venruki also pointed out that there's still interest for WoW PvP, since the World Championship had had good viewership numbers and the recent introduction of GCD TV has been well received.

Arguably, there are still a lot of people who are interested in competitive World of Warcraft. Still, do you think WoW PvP is dying? What's your opinion on this year's rules? Do you think Blizzard will amend them?

1 person likes this

2 moths is pretty much enoguht to understand how things will work. Firstly new system will be implemented in prepatch, arour end of july, star of the August. so there will be plenty of time to test new game mechanics. Only problem that I see will be PvP Gear and how the weapons will work there and how to play against Demon hunters, cause they are totally new. i dont believ that having spare man to swap is the negative thing. Yes it brings some issues with coordination and so on, but it is better to have some coordination problems than wont be able to paticipate if something happens to player from the team.

About Prize Money, well since it is possible to buy time with ingame currency, release of HotS and Overwatch, they also will get their Prize pools it is  reasonable that Prize Pool of WoW-PvP was reduced. 

Anyway I look forward to see what will happen to the PvP in 7.0

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      A reddit user shared some highlights of his exploration of Vanilla, TBC and WotLK using a variety of tricks.

A lot of us who've played Vanilla at some point went and visited Hyal by suiciding through the inactive raid portal, but there were other ways to creatively explore the world around as well. Redditor jarrodnb recently remembered his time in TBC/early WotLK and how he would use the jump bug (where you wouldn't fall off a slope, regardless of how steep it was, if you timed it just right), among other things, to take a look at some of the less often seen vistas and quite a few secrets hidden away behind terrain (remember, at the time you could only fly in Outland, so a lot of these vantage points may seem normal to you, but were very special back then).
      There's a whole album of his exploits (both in the "game breaking" and  the "interesting things he did" sense) and you should really give it a look, as it has interesting comments about the zones and how he got there and plays out like one big story. Here are some highlights:

"I had always wondered where Nightbane was before he flew onto the balcony"

"Next up, I had heard about the early "outland" hidden away in VC."

"Looks like an early version of Howling Fjord is tucked away inside UK. I can't believe how many secrets are hidden away inside the instanced versions of dungeons"

"I eventually worked up the courage to actually explore GM island, so I busted out my old "bridge" file. One of my "mates" said in "type /who gm island" in trade chat, I was spammed with randoms asking how I got there. I quickly logged off in terror."

Big thanks to jarrodnb for sharing (part of) his exploration journey and reminding us of our own exploration attempts (even if it was just swimming around the edges of the continents)!
    • By Stan
      Patch 7.1.5 brings new Artifact Knowledge catch-up options for both mains and alts.
      We'll be able to catch up on Artifact Knowledge in Patch 7.1.5 using Order Resources.
      The main source of Order Resources is the Blood of Sargeras trader in Dalaran. You can buy Order Resources Cache that will give 200 Order Resources for one Blood of Sargeras. Bloods are farmed via World Quests and Heroic+ dungeons.
      Main Characters
      A new quest was added to your Class Hall called Knowledge is Power. You need to turn in 500 Order Resources to get Artifact Research Synopsis.  The quest is repeatable and can be completed until you reach Artifact Knowledge level 15. After that you will need to place work orders as usual. A total of 7,500 Order Resources is thus required to reach said AK level. That's 37.5 Bloods of Sargeras.

Alts
      Depending on the Artifact Knowledge level of your main, you can purchase research compendiums and mail them to your alts. These items are bound to your Battle.net account.
      Artifact Research Compendium: Volume I Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I & II Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-III Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-IV As an example, if you have Artifact Knowledge Level 15, you can buy Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I & II for 1,000 Order Resources. I think every 5 levels of Artifact Knowledge will unlock a new compendium. If you use the item without any research documents, you instantly reach Artifact Knowledge level 10 (it's like that on PTR right now).

• By Jovovich
      [US-Arthas][H]Unhuman (French) EN:5/7M ToV:3/3H www.unhuman.ca
      Unhuman is RECRUITING!
      Forum: http://forum.unhuman.ca/forum/7-recrutement/
      Raiding:
      - [Raid] Starlight Bros 5/7M ToV:3/3H 2day Tuesday and Sunday 7hpm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Insanity 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7h30pm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Fluffy 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Wednesday and Thursday 6h15pm to 9h15pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Soldati 1/7M ToV:3/3NH 2day 
      - [Raid] Les Gosus de Notre-Dame 7/7H ToV:3/3N 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7hpm to 10hpm (EAST)
      PvP:
      - We're still looking for a PvP Leader, if you're interested see with Jovovich#1699
      Community:
      - More than 500 account
      Unhuman is a performing raiding guild with multiple raid groups, it's one of the biggest, for not saying the biggest one, french community on World of Warcraft US. We have over 500 active accounts. Unhuman has been created in December 2006 and will continue to live for a long time, Unhuman is trying to give to our raiders everything they need to be focus only on good progression!. Unhuman is always looking for new players of all kind, PvE or PvP, even with Battle pets or Archeologists or anything else you can do in the game....You will be sure to find your way with Unhuman!
      For any question...
      - http://unhuman.ca/
      - Jovovich-Arthas, Guild Master
      - Murielle-Arthas, Officier
      - Jdo-Arthas, Officier
      - Mottuer-Arthas, Officier
      - Izzaeth-Arthas, Officier
    • By Jovovich
      [US-Arthas][H]Unhuman (French) EN:5/7M ToV:3/3H www.unhuman.ca
      Unhuman is RECRUITING!
      Forum: http://forum.unhuman.ca/forum/7-recrutement/
      Raiding:
      - [Raid] Starlight Bros 5/7M ToV:3/3H 2day Tuesday and Sunday 7hpm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Insanity 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7h30pm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Fluffy 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Wednesday and Thursday 6h15pm to 9h15pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Soldati 1/7M ToV:3/3NH 2day 
      - [Raid] Les Gosus de Notre-Dame 7/7H ToV:3/3N 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7hpm to 10hpm (EAST)
      PvP:
      - We're still looking for a PvP Leader, if you're interested see with Jovovich#1699
      Community:
      - More than 500 account
      Unhuman is a performing raiding guild with multiple raid groups, it's one of the biggest, for not saying the biggest one, french community on World of Warcraft US. We have over 500 active accounts. Unhuman has been created in December 2006 and will continue to live for a long time, Unhuman is trying to give to our raiders everything they need to be focus only on good progression!. Unhuman is always looking for new players of all kind, PvE or PvP, even with Battle pets or Archeologists or anything else you can do in the game....You will be sure to find your way with Unhuman!
      For any question...
      - http://unhuman.ca/
      - Jovovich-Arthas, Guild Master
      - Murielle-Arthas, Officier
      - Jdo-Arthas, Officier
      - Mottuer-Arthas, Officier
      - Izzaeth-Arthas, Officier
    • By Stan
      A new developer Q/A with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas is scheduled for December 7. You can submit your questions either via forums or Twitter using the hashtag #LegionQA.
      All questions will be answered live on Twitch.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      Join us live on Twitch Wednesday, December 7, as we sit down with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas for our next live developer Q&A. He’ll be answering many of your World of Warcraft questions.
      Feel free to submit any World of Warcraft questions by posting in this forum thread or via Twitter using the hashtag #LegionQA.
      We’re really looking forward to getting the chance to dive in and answer as much as we can, so we hope to see you Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. PST!
      (Source)
      We'll bring you the highlights once the Q/A comes to a close as we did last time, after the post-BlizzCon Q/A.