Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[Legion] Resto Shaman quick guide: FAQ, talents, stats

1 post in this topic

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where are all my glyphs?

A: Major glyphs (playstyle affecting) are gone. The remaining ones (former Minor) are purely cosmetic now and only affect the appearance of spells.

New glyphs are consumable that are being applied directly to a spell in your spellbook.

Q: Where are all the Elemental shields?

A: Water shield was removed completely, Earth shield is a PvP talent now, Lightning shield is an Ench spec talent.

Q: Where are my Elementals?

A: They were removed from the resto spec together with the Primal Elementalist talent.

Q: Seriously? What else has gone?

A: Spirit has gone. Now you have a standard mana pool and a standard mana regen (44000 mp5) both in and out of combat. Some other healing classes have a talent or an artifact trait for increased mana regen, resto shamans - do not.

You can’t see Spell Power in your Character Info or on your weapon - it was merged with the Intellect. So for math purposes, Int=SP. If you want to see detailed attributes, use an addon, for example DejaCharacterStats

Damaging abilities: Fire Elemental, Searing totem, Elemental Blast, Frost Shock have gone.

Our damaging abilities now are Flame ShockFlame Shock, Lava BurstLava Burst, Lightning BoltLightning Bolt and Chain LightningChain Lightning.

Ghost wolf speed boost: the glyph has gone. You will have a Class Hall Champion boosting your speed in the outdoor world.

Q: Where is the Totemic Projection, I want to move my totems around?

A: The talent has gone. All the healing totems now spawn at your feet and remain there, all the utility totems has a targeting reticle so you can place them anywhere in range.

Q: What professions should I choose for my shaman?

A: Professions don’t affect directly your gameplay so choose whatever suits your playstyle.

Better to choose a crafting/gathering pair like Leathercrafting/Skinning because the gathering profs would be a much easier source for the Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras (BoP item) at least on the start of the expansion. Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras is used in almost every high-end craft and gear upgrade.

Anyways, profession choice shouldn’t be a concern because in Legion you can swap between professions for 1000 g, saving all the current (Legion) progress and recipes.

Q: What is the stats priority for a resto shaman?

A: Intellect>Mastery>Haste>Crit>Versatility

In-depth explanations and math are done by Gardiff (Mythic resto shaman on Kil’jaeden-US) - a theorycrafter and the Resto Shaman Secondary Stat Simulator developer. The SIM and walls of text are here and here.

Q: But why not to prioritize Crit, Resurgence is still the only regen mechanic outside of base regen?

A: It is, but it is garbage, in-depth explanation is here:

Crit and mana regen (written by Gardiff):

Crit helps partially in the HPM department through resurgence, but in general, resurgence restores a very low amount of mana. Not to mention, you must remove the baseline 5% Crit (as well as passives) when determining just how much mana it actually returns.

When you discount the bonus of Tidal Waves on HS, 10% Crit from Floodwaters, Refreshing Currents, and 5% baseline Crit (since all 4 of these would be present whether or not you stacked Crit), the gains are somewhere between pointless, and borderline useless. Sitting at 20% bonus Crit (before the 5% baseline, so 25% total), the resurgence gains attributed to this amount is about 250000-300000 mana in an 6-7 minute fight (based on LFR, normal mode, heroic mode, and mythic mode beta logs).This is about 25% mana.

This is an exorbitant amount of Crit to stack for a very mediocre gain. Remember, a Dreamless Sleep potion gives you about 22% mana. And your baseline regen gives you about 300% mana in this same timeframe.

Not to mention, if you don't OoM, you don’t need the mana in the first place.

And lastly, if you simply optimized your output (and chose better spells) to do more healing with the correct secondary stats, you would actually have a higher gain in the long run, compensating for the fact that you might be casting 4 or 5 fewer chain heals (i.e. stacking a massive amount of Crit) over a 6-8 minute fight.
It isn't always about regen, even when you are OoMing. That's the point. Even on beta we can still see shamans who do nothing but CH spam for absurd levels on actual duration fights. The end result is they OoM themselves within 3 or 4 minutes. Then they are stuck wondering what to cast. You have to get used to use more efficient spells and cast when you need to. Having 10% mana or whatever from a boatload of Crit isn't going to change this.

Q: What are the right talents for solo playing/Mythic+/raiding?

A: You can find different talent builds below in this post.

Q: How should I fill the Artifact for the best performance in raids?

A: Resto shaman Artifact Calculator

1) Right path up to the Gold Trait

2) Left path up to the Gold Trait (yes, Tidal Pools it’s not a great gain but leaving it out doesn’t help either)

3) Jump to the third Gold Trait through either side (right or left) - they both are not a great gain for the raids, leave Refreshing Currents for the very end.

Q: May / should I level as a resto? I hate dps spec / afraid to lose artifact power.

A: Resto spec is a viable spec for leveling. The main concern here is that you kill mobs slower than any dps spec but the great advantage is that you are literally unkillable in any situation.

You can level in a dps offspec too, it is faster but with almost all the selfhealing being removed, you should be pretty cautious with pulls.

Don’t worry about the Artifact: no matter which one you will choose on lvl 100, you will get the Artifact quests for the remaining specs on lvl 102.

Don’t worry about losing artifact power during leveling: almost all of it is stored in consumable items so just respec to resto before using them.

Don’t worry about upgrading your offspec Artifact during leveling: first 13 traits on every artifact are very cheap, their cost starts to jump in geometric progression only from the 14th trait.

Upgrading a bit your offspec artifact for easier leveling wouldn’t hold back your main spec.

Q: I’m new to resto, what are all these HPM, QA, TW abbreviations?

A: The most frequently used abbreviations are:

HPS - Healing done per second

HPM - Healing done per mana spent

HW - Healing WaveHealing Wave (spell)

HS - Healing SurgeHealing Surge (spell)

HR - Healing RainHealing Rain (spell)

CH - Chain HealChain Heal (spell)

HST - Healing Stream TotemHealing Stream Totem

HTT - Healing Tide TotemHealing Tide Totem

SLT - Spirit Link TotemSpirit Link Totem

CBT - Cloudburst TotemCloudburst Totem (talent)

TW - Tidal WavesTidal Waves (buff)

CW - Crashing WavesCrashing Waves (talent)

AG - Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance (talent)

AV - Ancestral VigorAncestral Vigor (talent)

EotE - Echo of the ElementsEcho of the Elements (talent)

WS - WellspringWellspring (talent)

HT - High TideHigh Tide (talent)

QA - Queen AscendantQueen Ascendant (Artifact trait)

TC - Tidal ChainsTidal Chains (Artifact trait)

Talent Builds:

Soloing content in resto spec:

The main idea of a talent build for solo playing is to maximise your dps relying on passive/instant healing, while keeping mobs away as long as possible.

Tier 1: TorrentTorrent (increases your instant heal)

Tier 2: Gust of WindGust of Wind or Graceful SpiritGraceful Spirit. I personally would prefer GS for the additional passive increase of movement speed in Ghost Wolf form.

Tier 31: Earthgrab TotemEarthgrab Totem to keep your enemies away

Tier 4: Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance to convert your damage into healing

Tier 5: Earthen Shield TotemEarthen Shield Totem: redirects a part of every attack against you and allies to itself.

Tier 6: Echo of the ElementsEcho of the Elements: double HST, Riptide and Lava Burst - extremely useful.

Tier 7: Doesn't matter: nothing here will affect your solo experience.

Tier 1: UndulationUndulation or TorrentTorrent.

Undulation is fully utilized in 5-man environment because of constant need in tank healing.

Torrent pretty much turns Riptide into a full power instant heal, may pair nicely with EotE.

Tier 2: Wind Rush TotemWind Rush Totem or Graceful SpiritGraceful Spirit. Take WRT if a group speed boost is needed during the encounter, otherwise GS.

Tier 3: Lightning Surge TotemLightning Surge Totem is very useful on trash.

Tier 4: Crashing WavesCrashing Waves or Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance.

I’d say AG if you took EotE, in this way you wouldn’t waste double TW from Crashing Waves when applying two Riptides in a row.

Tier 51: Earthen Shield TotemEarthen Shield Totem or Ancestral VigorAncestral Vigor.

Vigor actually may be a lifesaver in high level Mythic+.

Tier 6:: Cloudburst TotemCloudburst Totem or Echo of the ElementsEcho of the Elements.

Use CBT if you are comfortable with its playstyle and are able to plan in advance, otherwise (or if you chose Torrent) take WotE.

Tier 7: AscendanceAscendance or High TideHigh Tide. I think that Ascendance is more viable, but HT may be fine too depending on the group comp.

Possible combos:  Stick with UndulationUndulation + Crashing WavesCrashing Waves if you prefer HW/HS healing style. TorrentTorrent + Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance + Echo of the ElementsEcho of the Elements for Riptide + CDs style.

Tier 1: TorrentTorrent (increases your instant heal)

Tier 2: Wind Rush TotemWind Rush Totem or Graceful SpiritGraceful Spirit. Take WRT if a raid speed boost is needed during the encounter, otherwise GS.

Tier 3: Lightning Surge TotemLightning Surge Totem may be useful on trash or if you need more add stuns during the encounter.

Tier 4: Crashing WavesCrashing Waves or Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance.

Tier 5: Ancestral Protection TotemAncestral Protection Totem gives you an additional ress that is not counted as Battle Ress - may be great to cheese some mechanics where you rather let a person die. Better not to use if you are not sure when you’ll need it because of a very long CD. Choose Earthen Shield TotemEarthen Shield Totem otherwise.

I find Ancestral VigorAncestral Vigor a bit of an overkill in raids because we don’t really have the 1-shot mechanics demanding additional HP pool. Might be useful though for soaking or for people dealing with specific mechanics during encounters.

Tier 6: Cloudburst TotemCloudburst Totem. Not really debatable at least for the start of the expansion (if remains unnerfed) - saves a lot of mana accumulating not only your healing but overhealing too and releasing the stored power to actually injured targets.

Bottomless DepthsBottomless Depths are useless because 1) Resurgence returns a miserable amount of mana and 2) Proccing Resurgence is our very last concern when raid drops below 60%.

Echo of the ElementsEcho of the Elements is underperforming seriously in the raid environment. HST is dropped always on CD making the gain of double charge almost insensible (like 1 additional HST during an encounter), in addition the proc rate for the additional Riptide charge from the talent is extremely low, not justifying choosing EotE over CBT.

Tier 7: WellspringWellspring or High TideHigh Tide.

Ancestral GuidanceAncestral Guidance Cloudburst TotemCloudburst Totem WellspringWellspring  combo

This combo is incredibly efficient and strong if done right (remember that both CBT and AG are semi-smart and they generally don't overheal), but if you use WS in isolation or for healing up a large number of targets, you won't get good mileage out of the ability.

The basic idea is that you want to NOT use WS to heal up for a raid-wide ability. What makes WS good right now is that you can force all of its healing into CBT through purposeful overhealing (but still useful healing). BUT, if you use it to heal a raid that has 20 targets who have taken damage, it will split that 1800% SP over 20 targets which is incredibly weak because you get no overhealing bonus.

The point is, if you are going to try using WS, then absolutely DO NOT use WS ever to actually heal 20 targets taking damage from a massive raid damage pulse. Instead, use it before the big raid AoE goes out and when there are only ~6 (ideally) injured people so that you can put all that extra healing into CBT.

Cloudburst TotemCloudburst Totem  + High TideHigh Tide combo

For the encounters with constant raid wide/ticking damage / short encounters.

1 person likes this