L0rinda

hearthstone Firebat Announces First Event in Batstone Tournament Series

16 posts in this topic

eqYZAH4.png

Former world champion, Firebat, in conjunction with Cloud 9, has set up a tournament using a new format. He has asked the Reddit community to ban five cards and players will not be able to use the highest voted cards in the event.

Firebat posted the idea late last night, and has already concluded the voting. The format will be best of five single elimination Standard. There will be 8 players in the event, 7 invites and one open qualifier. With the community bans listed below, it should be an exciting format to watch.

Placeholder for tweet 774280907729543168

The event which he is calling Batstone#1 promises to be the first in a series of events with unique formats. With the weight of Firebat;s name behind them, these events should attract a lot of attention.

I do wonder how different the ban list would have looked if the contestants had been allowed to choose the banned cards.

Fascinating pseudo-democracy.  "The community" apparently translates as people who were on Reddit in a rather small time frame.

Edited by mimech

4 hours ago, mimech said:

Fascinating pseudo-democracy.  "The community" apparently translates as people who were on Reddit in a rather small time frame.

A longer time frame for voting could have been useful, I agree. I imagine, however, that he assumed you would simply get the same results with higher numbers.

Like, there was no way Reddit wasn't going to vote Yogg#1 Tuskar#2. I'd vote the same way, any time of day.

War Axe beating Barnes and Call of the Wild just confirms the majority of Reddit community are very good and skillful players who prefer contemporary Hunter strategies. Yes, the ability to draw your cards is pure skill, (according to Reddit).

59 minutes ago, Paracel said:

Like, there was no way Reddit wasn't going to vote Yogg#1 Tuskar#2. I'd vote the same way, any time of day.

War Axe beating Barnes and Call of the Wild just confirms the majority of Reddit community are very good and skillful players who prefer contemporary Hunter strategies. Yes, the ability to draw your cards is pure skill, (according to Reddit).

After seeing no Yogg in this tournament, I feel like there is a Yogg-only tournament on the horizon. Community bans 1-3 classes, everyone has to bring 3 Yogg decks that are made from the non-banned ones.

12 hours ago, YourGod said:

Azure drake was voted for? That card is balanced 

It is an auto-include in many decks due to its versatility. Finding cards to replace it wouldn't be hard, but you would need to do it for a lot of decks.

I find it funny that nearly half or a third of the cards are used in face shaman

Edited by YourGod
Miscounted

Just now, YourGod said:

I find it funny that nearly half or a third of the cards are used in face shaman

4 mana 7/7 #balancedboys

8 hours ago, Blainie said:

A longer time frame for voting could have been useful

The voting time frame was my secondary complaint: my main issue was that it was a vote consisting only of people who have the time or inclination to peruse Reddit.  Just because people gather in a group and shout loudly it doesn't mean they fairly represent the player base, or that their ideas are sensible.  You might call this list "things that I think will hamstring my opponents and let me win all the time".

It's an event organized by Firebat and he can do however he wishes. It's his idea, his rules and he is not responsible for representing all the community. 

Maybe he just likes Reddit and lotteries?

15 hours ago, Paracel said:

lotteries?

Yogg-Saron,_Hope's_End_golden_animated.g

1 person likes this

I was talking about "being in a specific place in a specific time", but yeah, fine, you got me.

22 hours ago, Paracel said:

he is not responsible for representing all the community

That's fine, except that he appears to be making that claim, by using language such as "community card ban", "voted on by the community" and "community ban list".

This is okay, if by "community", he means "a small sub-set of a much larger community".

It's not that I think it's a particularly bad idea, or that it shouldn't happen: it's just not necessarily reflective of the actual wider playing community.  It could be argued that casual players at lower ladder rankings don't hate the hated cards as much as the loud high-ranking tournament obsessed uber-players and their avid followers.

2 people like this

15 hours ago, mimech said:

It could be argued that casual players at lower ladder rankings don't hate the hated cards as much as the loud high-ranking tournament obsessed uber-players and their avid followers.

I wonder how different the bans would have been if you did it exclusively by rank (25-15, 15-10, 10-5, 5-Legend). I feel like you would see a good representation of which decks dominate which parts of the ladder. 

1 person likes this