Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tendehka

arms Disparities in Arms guide vs. forums - When to use Execute?

11 posts in this topic

Mostly just asking for clarification: the guide for Arms warriors says that "Execute is currently only used in conjunction with Shattered Defenses, or if using it, Ayala's Stone Heart procs. When using  Focused Rage, it is pushed out entirely outside of ring procs, due to Mortal Strike taking priority."

However, the forums here say to use Execute normally - that is, when available and taking priority over anything other than Colossus Smash. Which is accurate?

Good evening, Tendehka;

Execute is to be used sub 20% HP or if you have a free proc from Ayala's Stone Heart.

When you're below 20% HP Execute becomes a higher priority over Mortal Strike. (Mortal Strike is still to be used to consume X3 stacks of Focused Rage during Battle Cry. Focused Rage is only to be cast during Battle Cry sub 20% HP as well.)

Outside of Battle Cry, your rage spending will be toward Execute and it will be dependent on whether or not you have a Shattered Defenses buff up. If you don't have Shattered Defenses then you can cast Execute at whatever rage amount you have. During Shattered Defenses, however, you want cast Execute at max rage cost.

1 person likes this

Do you have a source for this? I'm sorry, but this is really starting to bug me now: I keep up to date with Icy-Veins, AskMrRobot, WoWHead, MMO-Champion, SimulationCraft, aaaaaand Noxxic, and I have NEVER heard that priority before. What source tells you to only Execute at full rage doing Shattered Defenses?

Why is there so much conflicting information?!

Who is correct? How do I know who is correct? What is going on?!

Edited by Razid

2 hours ago, Razid said:

Do you have a source for this? I'm sorry, but this is really starting to bug me now

Welcome to the beginning of a new expansion.

Some things that might calm your frustration. . . keep in mind that abilities are constantly "hotfixed". In these fixes, Blizzard may or may not update the tooltip in game. This is where testing from other sources comes from and reading hotfix notes (if Blizzard even provides them).

As such... things change constantly. What's right today may not be right tomorrow. It may be deemed "wrong" because of a program error, bug in the ability, exploits with other abilities, calculation error... the list goes on. The day after that it could be fixed and what was previously right, turned wrong, may end up turned right again. Make sense?

Now that's a very over-complicated answer. The reality of it is that there will be changes throughout Emerald Nightmare and even into Nighthold (ETA 2017) that will affect our rotation and priorities.

The source of my information comes from the the Warrior Discord channel, Skyhold. It is here that information is constantly tested and updated - sometimes by the hour - as to what is being considered "best" in any given situation. I would highly recommend you join it (as I would any warrior). More specifically, the information comes with a ranked member of that server, Law, who correlates with the other ranked members (Marok, the authors, theorycrafters, and contributors). In those efforts, Law maintains this FAQ.

======================

Sites like MMO-Champion, Icy Veins, (ugh, even Noxxic. . . ) they all update in batches. For constant, up-to-date resources and information you either do the testing yourself or you find a reliable source such as Skyhold.

I hope this calms you a little bit. If you should have any other concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much for your answer. And yes, not a fan of Noxxic either, but I'm just trying to look at as many sources as possible to try and figure out what is going on, lol. But your answer makes sense, although I didn't realize there were happening that many changes to the Warrior. As far as I know, there's only been one real change, with the FR nerf?

FR was nerfed to 20% less effectiveness and the CD of Colossus smash was reduced to 30 seconds.

And that CS cd reduction, of course. Forgot that one ^^ But again, that is only 2 changes in almost a month. Still seems odd that the information still should change so much, from day to day. It seems some sources are pretty unreliable at this point. And by some, I actually mean most.

On 9/22/2016 at 2:00 AM, Sajakain said:

Mortal Strike is still to be used to consume X3 stacks of Focused Rage during Battle Cry. Focused Rage is only to be cast during Battle Cry sub 20% HP as well.

Why is this though? Surely, if MS with 3x FR stacks still needs to be cast doing Battle Cry at all health levels, then wouldn't it automatically also follow that you should cast FR, even pre 20% HP, to buff it?

Also, shouldn't you always spam the f*** out of FR doing Battle Cry no matter what? Since it's on it's own GCD, is free (with Deadly Calm), and can give basically free Tactician procs, and there by Shattered Defenses procs, doing that 5 sec window?

Edited by Razid

4 hours ago, Razid said:

basically free Tactician procs

This is why people have macros with Hamstring to spam for Tact procs. 

6 hours ago, Razid said:

Why is this though? Surely, if MS with 3x FR stacks still needs to be cast doing Battle Cry at all health levels, then wouldn't it automatically also follow that you should cast FR, even pre 20% HP, to buff it?

Also, shouldn't you always spam the f*** out of FR doing Battle Cry no matter what? Since it's on it's own GCD, is free (with Deadly Calm), and can give basically free Tactician procs, and there by Shattered Defenses procs, doing that 5 sec window?

During the Execute phase, you want to have rage spent on Execute as noted above in a previous post. Outside of Battle Cry, FR spends rage and, as such, takes away from your Execute. You can cast Execute freely outside of a Shattered Defenses buff but, when you have SD, make sure you cast Execute at max rage. If you're also using FR outside of BC then it makes this process slightly more challenging to do.

As for during Battle Cry, yeah, you should be spamming your "spamstring" macro (named appropriately). Not only does it include FR but it includes Hamstring to fish Tactician procs. If you're lucky you'll get some procs but, if not, use MS at x3 FR stacks as normal. Once you're done with your BC window, go back to spamming Execute within the given parameters during your Execute phase.

2 people like this

Omg thx for the info on when to execute. 
I felt so clueless and frustrated.

I've been following the main IV guide that says to ignore Execute in favor of MS if you're running FR and I knew it just felt wrong to ignore that iconic button.

I've left a note for Wordup to see if he can clarify and double check the guide on the site concerning Execute.