elfboom

When to cast starsurge as a balance druid

4 posts in this topic

Hi, as a balance druid i have trouble understanding when to cast starsurge and how to manage astral power. Most of the what i've read on forums and guides they usually write something like this "When you have no active trinket procs or cooldowns, delay casting starsurge, new moon, half moon and full moon as much as possible without going over 100 astral power or reaching 3 charges of moon spells. Likewise, you will want to prioritize those spells when you do have cooldowns or trinket procs active." 

Source : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2057653-Balance-Gebuz-s-Balance-Druid-Guide-(Legion-PvE) ( Rotation --> advanced.) 

But what if you have trinkets that have a chance to inflict/summon stuff to damage your enemies? Wouldnt that be a dps loss if i wait with starsurge when none of my trinkets procs? My trinket are at the moment ilvl 850 Naraxa's spiked tounge and ilvl 885 unstable Horrorslime both which have a chance to inflict/summon stuff to damage your enemies. 

i follow the icy-veins rotation on balance druids and that works great, usually top dps in raids but with starsurge i have trouble finding out what's the best way for me to use it. 

Here are one of my logs from heroic Nythendria : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FPVZGm8dBNXHT4gz#type=damage-done&source=27
Is their anything i can improve dps wise. 

My armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Shandira/simple

Thank you and have a good day. 

P.S english is not my main language. 

Yes, it would be a DPS loss, you are correct. The advice from MMO only applies if you have proc effect trinkets and even then, you'll still Starsurge to stop yourself from capping on AP.

Posted (edited)

Strange I don't have this issue. I find myself casting starsurge asap otherwise I'll lack empowerments. That makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

This thing is: the astral power gained from the 2 empowered lunar wrath and lunar strike do not generate enough astral power to cast starsurge again. So I cannot have a continuous solar ->lunar->starsurge.

Even when I'm firing new moons as they pop, I will find myself out of astral power eventualy during the fight. Is their something I missed about generating astral power ?

Edit: figured what was wrong, I was missing the talent blessing of the ancient (+25% astrat pow)

Edited by bobifle

The only time when you should be pooling for AP and save a double starsurge is if you know you will have to move very soon.

Example :

1. You get the Rot on Nythendra.
2. As soon as you have it, start casting your Moon spells, and empowered LS/SW to cap your AP.
3. Move while casting your first Starsurge, pop your healthstone or defensive cooldown (Barkskin)
4. Drop the rot away from your raid.
5. Cast again Starsurge while you reposition out of the green area and go back to your usual rotation.

In alternative you can also refresh your dots (but I wouldn't suggest it if they are not expiring soon)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By VeeImperium
      Stormrage [A] - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic - FRI & MON - 9pm-12am EST
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Imperium, a progressive and well-respected raiding guild. Seeking like-minded individuals to join our team.  We provide good guild culture, consistent loot distribution, laid-back leadership, like-minded, courteous, kind, and polite people.
      Our team has been playing together for 8 years. We have always maintained a strong progressive raid team in 10 and 25 mans with a very minimal raid schedule. When considering new members, we seek individuals who have excellent communication skills, a high level of maturity, and a manner of adult professionalism.

Raid Info
      Friday & Monday 9:00pm - 12:00am EST
      Emerald Nightmare - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic

What to expect from us...
      - Raids that start and end on time.
      - A community of in-game support and socializing, Veteran players, 980+ Characters, 580+ Active Accounts, 650+ Level 100s.
      - Opportunity to be part of our weekly raid sales group
      - Fair and consistent leadership that only accepts quality players, and understands mistakes can happen.
      - A friendly and competitive dps environment, with frequent 95%+ parses
      - An opportunity to see all the content WoW has to offer.
      - Raid Consumables, and Enchantments provided.
      - Adult atmosphere, average age 25.
      - We DO NOT recruit for bench positions.

What we expect from you...
      - Desire to be part of a team. This includes being on Mumble and taking an interest in the guilds objectives, upholding its principles and helping to secure its longevity.
      - Great verbal communication during raid.
      - Good attitude and mutual respect towards fellow guild and raid team members.
      - High to perfect raid attendance.
      - Perseverance. Wiping is part of the game, and staying motivated and positive is a must.
      - Know your class and all of its abilities. Have a viable off spec for the team.
      - Be active and contribute to the guild forums.

Currently Recruiting:
      1 Melee DPS
      1 Ranged DPS
      1 Healer: Holy Priest, Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman
      Exceptional players are always considered.

Visit ImperiumGuild.ca to apply or to learn more about us.
      Vee#1811
      Mochi#11316
      Roxycodone#1543
      Nyyankees29#1435
      Skratchh#1194

• By Narii625
      VISIT OUR WEBSITE!
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      LOOT STYLE
      Currently we are using the EPGP system (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP).
      The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      RAIDING SCHEDULE
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [6/7H] Trial of Valor, [2/3N] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. The Karazhan mega-dungeon is done on a weekly basis on Saturdays! We will help with attunement! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!

If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, Battle.net ID: Narii#1891
      www.bootypirates.guildlaunch.com

• By Lor
      Sindorei Council, a family-friendly and socially active guild has been active since 7/24/2007 (BC drop), currently 6/7 (H)EN.  Seeking DPS (notably ranged) for completion of Heroic and preparation to move on Nighthold.  
      We are not a hardcore progression guild - have never been and don't seek to create that atmosphere.  We are an incredibly welcoming social guild with a core raid component of very skilled players who have enough real-life going on that one night/week (occasionally 2) is what we push for.   We've reached 6/7 H-EN on one night/week. 
      Are you a good fit?  If you enjoy playing your class very well, are reliable to be on at the given time(s), yearn for a fun PG atmosphere in Gchat and Discord with mostly adults, and feel like one (occasionally 2) night per week is ideal for the time you want to put into raiding then we may be a good fit for you.  We help others get better and have more fun in guild, raiding or not ( be it through Questing, M+, WQ's, Roics, Pet Battles, etc.). We know our members' backstory and strive to make our guild a family.  Very active FB page and Discord.  
      Schedule:   Current main core raid night is Thursday from 7:30 EST - 10:30 EST (Bloodhoof Server time).  Sunday nights are an alternative night for us.
      Progress:  7/7 (N) EN, 5/7 (H) EN
      Loot:  All Personal - hand down to people who need 
      NEEDS: 
      - Warlock (any spec)
      - Boomkin
      - Hunter
      - Arms Warrior w/ Prot offspec (another skilled dps that is comfortable off spec as Tank works well also (Feral/Guardian, WW/BM, etc.)
      Interested?:
      BTAG: Lorienawk#1319 or Mango#1525.  
      Thanks and Happy Hunting!
    • By Starym
      All of our Balance guides have been made pointless.

Icy Veins is well known for really in-depth and well written guides, but when it comes to Boomkins, they have all been outdone by this very detailed, some would say flawless instruction. The trick is, it seems, to have one of their own teach them directly:
      Owl see, owl do indeed. You'd better believe those little ones will be owning the DPS charts in Emerald Nightmare and beyond, at least until that awkward teenage stage when they'll all rebel and switch to feral DPS instead.
    • By FlashBurn
      I don't really like my class changes to my mains. I've decided that I am going to do a last minute re roll as a caster / rdps and get into the raiding scene in Legion. I initially thought about a hunter or a mage, but there are already a million of those out there, which means it may be harder to get into a guild as a hunter or a mage because most guilds likely already have a few on there raid teams. After a little bit of reading about Legion class changes and looking at a few different class/spec rotations on Icy Veins, the balance druid started to peak my interest. Which brings me to my question: Are balance druids (boomkins) good in raiding? Are they sought after (are guilds always recruiting them)? Or are there a million of them so there will never be openings for that class in most guilds. Basically are they a viable raiding spec. What is their role in a raid? Are they a pretty simple class to learn or is there a high learning curve? 
      Anyone who has raided around balance/boomkin druids or even has or does raid as one, could you please give me some info. Thank you!