FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
elfboom

When to cast starsurge as a balance druid

Hi, as a balance druid i have trouble understanding when to cast starsurge and how to manage astral power. Most of the what i've read on forums and guides they usually write something like this "When you have no active trinket procs or cooldowns, delay casting starsurge, new moon, half moon and full moon as much as possible without going over 100 astral power or reaching 3 charges of moon spells. Likewise, you will want to prioritize those spells when you do have cooldowns or trinket procs active." 

Source : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2057653-Balance-Gebuz-s-Balance-Druid-Guide-(Legion-PvE) ( Rotation --> advanced.) 

But what if you have trinkets that have a chance to inflict/summon stuff to damage your enemies? Wouldnt that be a dps loss if i wait with starsurge when none of my trinkets procs? My trinket are at the moment ilvl 850 Naraxa's spiked tounge and ilvl 885 unstable Horrorslime both which have a chance to inflict/summon stuff to damage your enemies. 

i follow the icy-veins rotation on balance druids and that works great, usually top dps in raids but with starsurge i have trouble finding out what's the best way for me to use it. 

Here are one of my logs from heroic Nythendria : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FPVZGm8dBNXHT4gz#type=damage-done&source=27
Is their anything i can improve dps wise. 

My armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Shandira/simple

Thank you and have a good day. 

P.S english is not my main language. 

Yes, it would be a DPS loss, you are correct. The advice from MMO only applies if you have proc effect trinkets and even then, you'll still Starsurge to stop yourself from capping on AP.

Strange I don't have this issue. I find myself casting starsurge asap otherwise I'll lack empowerments. That makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

This thing is: the astral power gained from the 2 empowered lunar wrath and lunar strike do not generate enough astral power to cast starsurge again. So I cannot have a continuous solar ->lunar->starsurge.

Even when I'm firing new moons as they pop, I will find myself out of astral power eventualy during the fight. Is their something I missed about generating astral power ?

Edit: figured what was wrong, I was missing the talent blessing of the ancient (+25% astrat pow)

Edited by bobifle

The only time when you should be pooling for AP and save a double starsurge is if you know you will have to move very soon.

Example :

1. You get the Rot on Nythendra.
2. As soon as you have it, start casting your Moon spells, and empowered LS/SW to cap your AP.
3. Move while casting your first Starsurge, pop your healthstone or defensive cooldown (Barkskin)
4. Drop the rot away from your raid.
5. Cast again Starsurge while you reposition out of the green area and go back to your usual rotation.

In alternative you can also refresh your dots (but I wouldn't suggest it if they are not expiring soon)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletag: Vims#21684

To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 72+ traits.
      - 8/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Druid: Balance.
      Warlock: Affliction.
      Hunter: MM.
      Mage:Frost/fire
      Rogue: Assa/sub
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By filthsilvermoon
      3/11 M Antorus (ABT)
      FiLTHYs most wanted:
      2x Balance Druid
      2x Warlock
      1x Spriest
      1x Frost DK 1x Mistweaver

FiLTH, a friendly progressive guild looking for more skilled players.

FiLTHY Raid team:
      - Push Mythic progress
      - 3 raids a week, 3 hours each (Extra raid night during opening month of new raid content)
      - Must complete M+ 15 each week
      - 72 minimum traits
      - 940+ ilvl
      Raids are: (Monday extra night) Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday at 8:45PM - 11:45PM Server time (+1 GMT)

What WE can offer YOU:
      - Great and friendly community
      - Always people around to join in your keys
      - Teamspeak 3 and Discord server
      - M+ guild groups 15 and above
      - Raid Logs after every raid
      - Website forums
      - Raid livestreams
      - Guild Whatsapp groups
      - Special event nights
      - Alt raids

FiLTH is a fun place to be and most who join call it their home and family. It’s been a competitive raiding environment for over 6 years and has a strong and experienced core.
      Wowprogress: https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/silvermoon/FiLTH

APPLY AT: http://filth.guildlaunch.com/
      OR
      Reply to this thread
      Message me on Marvynn#21579 or MrRoboto#2229 or Fozzy#2286.
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting ranged DPS, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 3/10M NH, 7/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, or any type of Monk; in addition, we would like to acquire a second Shadow Priest or Demon Hunter. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
      If you are interested, please PM me (violentravi#1826) or recruiting officer Sepsis (tuxedomask#1712) in game.  However, if you have time (which goes a long way) for us to give you a real evaluation there is a short forum to fill out linked on our discord: https://discord.gg/JMVuYRW

Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild
    • By Lor
      Sindorei Council, a family-friendly and socially active guild has been active since 7/24/2007 (BC drop), currently 7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, and 10/10, 3/10(H) NH.  Seeking DPS (notably ranged) for completion of Heroic and preparation for 7.2.    
      We are not a hardcore progression guild - have never been and don't seek to create that atmosphere.  We are an incredibly welcoming social guild with a core raid component of very skilled players who have enough real-life going on that one night/week (occasionally 2) is what we push for.   We've reached our current raid progression on essentially one night/week. 
      Are you a good fit?  If you enjoy playing your class very well, are reliable to be on at the given time(s), yearn for a fun PG atmosphere in Gchat and Discord with mostly adults, and feel like one (occasionally 2) night per week is ideal for the time you want to put into raiding then we may be a good fit for you.  We help others get better and push people to have fun in guild, raiding or not ( be it through Questing, M+, WQ's, Roics, Pet Battles, etc.). We know our members' backstories and strive to make our guild a family.  Very active FB page and Discord.  
      Schedule:   Current main core raid night is Thursday from 7:30 EST - 10:30 EST (Bloodhoof Server time).  Sunday nights are an alternative night for us.
      Progress:  7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, 10/10 NH, 3/10 (H)NH
      Loot:  All Personal - hand down to people who need 
      NEEDS: 
      - SPriest
      - Boomkin
      - Hunter
      - Another skilled dps that is comfortable off spec as Tank works well also (Feral/Guardian, WW/BM, etc.)
      Interested?:
      BTAG: Lorienawk#1319 or Mango#1525.  
      Thanks and Happy Hunting!
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an Alliance guild on Uldum (PVE server) - I will keep this short. We are looking to add two ranged dps to our core mythic team. We would prefer a hunter/shadow priest/boomkin. We are currently 9/10 Heroic in Nighthold after 2 nights of heroic raiding. We were 7/7M in EN and 2/3M in ToV. We raid:

Tuesday - 8-11 EST
      Thursday - 8-11 EST
      Sunday 7-11 EST

We recruit players that have a good attitude, have high dps and are good with mechanics and movement. 

If interested, add me on btag: Stormcaster#1629