FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
hermani

/stopcasting Macro for Pyroblast?

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for putting up this fire mage guide! After reading it, I still have one question. Do you think I should make a /stopcasting / cast pyroblast macro? This way, I can interrupt my cast of fireball as soon as hot streak is up and cast an instant pyroblast instead.

Cheers

I was using /stopcasting macro for Pyroblast when I tried fire spec. It's helpful, because you don't want to miss any instant Pyroblasts from Hot Streak.

Copied from the fire mage rotation guide: "Pyroblast should be cast as soon as Hot Streak is up. If you wait, there is a chance that Hot Streak gets refreshed and you will have missed a free Pyroblast with an instant cast."

basically it's a DPS loss if you miss free Pyroblasts from Hot Streak.

So, I suggest you to make /stopcasting macro for Pyroblast, but it's up to you.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best course. Regardless of the damage loss and mana cost of fireball, pyroblast will give more bang for the buck. However, I want to stop casting both before and after. The reason is that if I accidentally hit pyro during a fight, I don't wanna go into that long caste. So, I use (along with the tooltip)

/stopcasting

/cast Pyroblast

/stopcasting

/attack.

Then you only cast it when it's instant and it's worth far more damage than your fireball face roll.

I also believe that one should stop casting on combustion. I don't chain them because my living bomb may have expired. I use /stopcasting on combustion as well as pyro but I leave open the possibility that I may need to toss in another living bomb before combustion as I want both up before I hit combustion.

I would add the possibility that I may want to stop casting on an impact proc. I figure I don't use fire blast except to spread my dots so I also use /stopcasting on fire blast. One might have both a key bound to fire blast and a macro that stops casting.

As a caveat, I might add that a hot steak will last through one cast of a fireball. In my opinion, it may also depend on the length of the fight. if I'm running cata heroics with a guildie, I might wanna stop casting. If I'm running DS against a boss, I have time for the fireball, the refresh of living bomb, then the pyroblast. It may come down to whether you are facing a raid boss or a heroic elite.

Edited by Sorciere

When ability_mage_livingbomb.jpgLiving Bomb and spell_mage_flameorb.jpgFlame Orb could trigger ability_mage_hotstreak.jpgHot Streak and ability_mage_hotstreak.jpgImproved Hot Streak, this type of macro was very useful because you ran the risk of wasting the proc.

Now, these two spells can no longer trigger Hot Streak or Improved Hot Streak (and I'm sorry for not properly updating the guide regarding this). In a usual rotation, these effects are triggered by spell_fire_flamebolt.jpgFireball the vast majority of the time (the rest being covered by occasional casts of spell_fire_soulburn.jpgScorch and spell_fire_fireball.jpgFire Blast, and hard casts of spell_fire_fireball02.jpgPyroblast).

Let's say you are casting Fireball and Hot Streak procs. The only reason why it would be wasted is if your current cast scores a critical strike. You can easily prevent this from happening by consuming Hot Streak immediately after the cast of Fireball has ended. The travel time of Fireball gives you ample time to do so.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the small debate, I learnt a lot of things! and sorry for the slihgt delay, just got back from a few days of vacations

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in anyway. Maybe there have been some changes fpr 5.0.4, and it is not relevant anymore, but I do not see the reasoning for a /stopcasting macro for Pyro. The Pyroblast! buff does not fade like the Heating Up! buff does. It is a timer, which is longer than most casting time of spells. Why would you stop casting (presumably) a fireball to cast a pyro, and miss out on the FB DPS? If the FB crits, it triggers HU, and those two buffs stack. It seems that now, you would be taking a DPS hit to stop casting. Am I wrong?

Edited by Mohatmus