Topic Details

/stopcasting Macro for Pyroblast?

7 replies to this topic Started by hermani, Jul 16 2012 08:13 AM mage fire macros
- - - - -
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

hermani
  • hermani
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Hello guys, Thank you very much for putting up this fire mage guide! After reading it, I still have one question. Do you think I should make a /stopcasting / cast pyroblast macro? This way, I can interrupt my cast of fireball as soon as hot streak is up and cast an instant pyroblast instead. Cheers

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Madill
  • Madill
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
hmm i was wondering this too
Posted Image

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Rautx
  • Rautx
  • Worker
  • LocationHyvinkää, Finland
I was using /stopcasting macro for Pyroblast when I tried fire spec. It's helpful, because you don't want to miss any instant Pyroblasts from Hot Streak. Copied from the fire mage rotation guide: "Pyroblast should be cast as soon as Hot Streak is up. If you wait, there is a chance that Hot Streak gets refreshed and you will have missed a free Pyroblast with an instant cast." basically it's a DPS loss if you miss free Pyroblasts from Hot Streak. So, I suggest you to make /stopcasting macro for Pyroblast, but it's up to you.
Posted Image

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Damian
  • Damian
  • Footman
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England.
Erm yes.

--- We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Sorciere
  • Sorciere
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best course. Regardless of the damage loss and mana cost of fireball, pyroblast will give more bang for the buck. However, I want to stop casting both before and after. The reason is that if I accidentally hit pyro during a fight, I don't wanna go into that long caste. So, I use (along with the tooltip) /stopcasting /cast Pyroblast /stopcasting /attack. Then you only cast it when it's instant and it's worth far more damage than your fireball face roll. I also believe that one should stop casting on combustion. I don't chain them because my living bomb may have expired. I use /stopcasting on combustion as well as pyro but I leave open the possibility that I may need to toss in another living bomb before combustion as I want both up before I hit combustion. I would add the possibility that I may want to stop casting on an impact proc. I figure I don't use fire blast except to spread my dots so I also use /stopcasting on fire blast. One might have both a key bound to fire blast and a macro that stops casting. As a caveat, I might add that a hot steak will last through one cast of a fireball. In my opinion, it may also depend on the length of the fight. if I'm running cata heroics with a guildie, I might wanna stop casting. If I'm running DS against a boss, I have time for the fireball, the refresh of living bomb, then the pyroblast. It may come down to whether you are facing a raid boss or a heroic elite.

Edited by Sorciere, 17 July 2012 - 12:21 AM.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
When Living Bomb and Flame Orb could trigger Hot Streak and Improved Hot Streak, this type of macro was very useful because you ran the risk of wasting the proc. Now, these two spells can no longer trigger Hot Streak or Improved Hot Streak (and I'm sorry for not properly updating the guide regarding this). In a usual rotation, these effects are triggered by Fireball the vast majority of the time (the rest being covered by occasional casts of Scorch and Fire Blast, and hard casts of Pyroblast). Let's say you are casting Fireball and Hot Streak procs. The only reason why it would be wasted is if your current cast scores a critical strike. You can easily prevent this from happening by consuming Hot Streak immediately after the cast of Fireball has ended. The travel time of Fireball gives you ample time to do so.

Join us on IRC! | server: irc.quakenet.org | port: 6667 | channel: #icy-veins

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

hermani
  • hermani
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Thank you guys for the small debate, I learnt a lot of things! and sorry for the slihgt delay, just got back from a few days of vacations

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

Mohatmus
  • Mohatmus
  • Vagrant
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in anyway. Maybe there have been some changes fpr 5.0.4, and it is not relevant anymore, but I do not see the reasoning for a /stopcasting macro for Pyro. The Pyroblast! buff does not fade like the Heating Up! buff does. It is a timer, which is longer than most casting time of spells. Why would you stop casting (presumably) a fireball to cast a pyro, and miss out on the FB DPS? If the FB crits, it triggers HU, and those two buffs stack. It seems that now, you would be taking a DPS hit to stop casting. Am I wrong?

Edited by Mohatmus, 04 October 2012 - 12:24 AM.

Posted Image

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users