Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frost 2H Help

9 posts in this topic

First of all this is my first post and all,  so i'm trying to get the hang of this.

My native language is not English  so please bare with me here. 

So the short version of the story is i play 2H Frost and i think i'm doing a pretty decent job. 

I follow the guides here on Icy Veins without almost any hesitation, i gem, reforge and enchant as

icy veins deems to be best.

I was going about my usual business in a flex part 2 group, we were killing Iron Juggernaut and i had about 215k dps with 550 ilvl.

I thought i was doing fine until i glance over my recount and see another DK with the same prides fall 2H same trinkets and same talents as me, but with different gems (cant remember wich gems).

My question is, do the gems really play such a huge part in dps? Or is this just a case of he's a more skilled button masher and overall a better player, i don't really consider myself really that good.

Should i use Ask Mr Robot? Can it be trusted? It just seems really shifty with its optimised builds taht give, yes more crit but much less strenght...

I try to use my pillar of frost with the strenght trinket procs up and then pop my ghoul and all these things to get my dps up. Anyhow sorry about this rambling story My toon is Epicsaxguy on Ragnaros Eu Horde.

Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you 

Gems and reforging makes a difference, but it's a usually a small difference. And it's also situational. Usually Crit will be best for ilvl 550+, sometimes Haste or Strength may do better though. For 2H frost I would normally advise Haste until 80% then crit. I looked you up on wow-heroes but the only log it linked to was LFR from December 5th, and then I couldn't find you on the list.

Typically the largest dps losses for frost dk's are:

- Disease uptime. This should be 95%+

- Pillar of Frost, The first step is using it as many times as possible during the fight. The second more advanced step is to work on lining it up with other cooldowns such as Heroism, strength potions, big trinket procs, etc.

- Make sure you're using most of your killing machine procs on Obliterate. every time you use accidentally use a killing machine proc on frost strike you're losing a small amount of dps.

2 people like this

another thing to consider for a fight like Iron Juggernaut is the amount of time you spend dps'ing boss. If the other DK positioned himself better during the shock pulse, then he wouldn't have to run back as far, and his dps could easily be 10-20k higher than yours. Just because he spent more time dps'ing the boss.

Also on IJ, if you can time your Pillar of Frost with the shock pulse, it is possible to avoid the knock back for two of the pulses. Bit touch and go, but you can definitely avoid at least one knock back. Also, use AMS during this phase for free runic power to dump with frost strike and proc tier 5 talents.

As Storm mentioned, you should be using Pillar of Frost as much as possible. It is nice and definite boost to line it up with procs, but don't go about holding it off for too long, especially since the cooldown is reduced with the CDR trink.

Other than that, specific to IJ, you should be better off with Plague Leech. I don't know if you were using conversion, but that has to be a DPS loss as well.

I noticed you suggested an 80% haste cap before going crit. I've seen this mentioned before, although most frost guides put haste dead last when it comes to stat priority, so I'm a little confused. Should I have haste as a priority or crit? 

When I was simming my DKs offspec (2H Frost) the simulation gave me a pretty high haste value(above crit at the time), so haste does play a role in gearing still. I went and did the reforges based on those stat weights and simmed again, and got haste as the last one with the amount I already had. Not far from mastery though, but ever so slightly behind it. Talking as minor of a difference like mastery weight: 2.50 and haste weight: 2.49. What this tells me is that I'm pretty close to the "haste cap" for 2H frost, since haste has barely fallen behind.

I dont remember the exact haste I have on it atm but its somewhere in the 90%-100% range. 

TL;DR: Yes, get some haste first and then dump everything to crit. the 80%-90% haste sounds fine to me.

Edited by Ceraius

Haste will sometimes sim higher than crit overall, but this is mostly on completely patchwork fights. Once you start moving around and spending a few seconds here and there not on the boss, then Crit becomes better. Especially once you have enough haste to be resource capped.

the 80% target +/- has to do with being resource capped. Somewhere around 80% +/- depending on your talent selection and skill, you will reach a point where you always have enough runes and/or runic power to not waste any global cooldowns waiting for something to refresh. Up until this point Haste is by far the strongest stat.

Once you're resource capped then some sims may say haste is still the best stat by a little bit, some will say crit is the best stat by a little bit, but in actual fights crit is better than haste by a lot after you have enough haste to be resource capped.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dlhak
      Hi, Does anyone of you know how much haste is enough for demon blades to proc properly ? I'm actually at 20% (crit 40% mast 20%) I can switch to 50% crit but I will have 6% haste. 
      There is now a debate whether the proc chance of demon blades during GCD is actually a buff or a nerf, if anyone could bring opinion on that too it would be great.
      thank you.
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an alliance guild on the PVE server Uldum, we are currently 4/7 mythic and looking to add 1 mage to our ranks. Union has been around since Vanilla and has had the same core of raiders for years. We pride ourselves on raiding just 10 hours per week and being able to maintain top 150 US throughout the last tiers of raiding. We raid:

Tuesday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Thursday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Sunday 7-11 EST (4-8 PST)

We are looking for a mage that not only parses high, but has good survival instincts and always comes prepared to each raid.

Hit me up in game: Stormcaster#1629
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By bigmacs
      <Tophat Standard>
         We are a somewhat newly formed raiding guild focused 
      on providing a home to the serious players of Emerald Dream that
      want to progress through all content but can only commit a limited amount of time to the game. The core members and leadership of the guild that returned for Legion have been playing games together for 7+ years and quite a few of us know each other in real life. 
         We come from a plethora of locations, careers, and video game experiences but our love for gaming at a higher level has bonded us together. Our first mission at hand is to establish a roster of 40-45 members which will allow our members to have a 'show up when you want' attendance policy. Our progression raid invite priority will be based on attendance percentage. To accomplish this we are sounding the 'Call to Arms' in search of just a few more skilled raiders to  finish off our roster.
         Raid times
      all raids are optional - Invite priority based on attendance percentage
      - Sunday: 9:00pm(ST)[W-PvP/Rated BGs/Arenas/Keystone-Mythics]
      - Monday:  9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Clean up content]
      - Tuesday: 9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Wednesday: 9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Thursday:  9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Friday: [No Guild events]
      - Saturday: [No Guild events]
      What We Offer
      - Experienced leadership [Top 25 U.S. raiding during TBC & Wotlk/R1 Gladiators/World first in SWTOR & EQ.] 
      - Mature raiding environment [We DO NOT tolerate drama - We DO encourage mild intoxicants & Laughter.]
      - Casual raid schedule [You choose what days you can raid by accepting or declining guild calendar invites]
      - Progression [The #1 goal in all progression raids is to PROGRESS. When a wipe occurs we do not complain we identify the problem, then correct the issue immediately.]
      - Fair loot system [Personal loot for Heroic ~ MS>OS free roll for Mythic.]
      What We Require
      [ul]- 18+ years old [We play the game for fun, not to babysit or censor our conversations.]
      - Raiding Experience [If you stand in fire we do not want you!]
      - Class knowledge & Comprehension [Know your class & spec - Perform YOUR job in raids.]
      - Late night EST playtimes [Ability to attend at least one raid every week to be considered for core raider rank.] 
      - Thick skin & Personality [We want people who can take a joke and fire one right back otherwise, raiding would be boring.] 
      - Character upkeep [Gems/Enchants/Flask/Food/Attunements/Relic slots/Pre-quest/Item level]
      - Microphone & Headset [Communication is paramount to success in PvE & PvP]
      - Curse voice [This is the main voice program we will use for PvE & PvP Push-to-talk required][/ul]
      Current Progression
      'Glory of the Legion Hero'
      7/7 - Normal
      7/7 - Heroic
      1/7 - Mythic
      Current Recruitment Needs
      - Tanks - Low [Prot Warrior(With DPS offset)]
      - Melee DPS - Medium [Warrior/Feral/Rogue/Ret/WW]
      - Ranged DPS - Medium [SP/Warlock/Hunter/Boomkin/ELE]
      - Healers - Low [H-Priest/MW-Monk]
      Recruitment Process
      - Short application on our website.
      - Short interview via Curse voice.
      - Two week trial period. [Extensions if needed]
      - Promotion to Core-Raider or Demotion to Social. 
      If you have any questions or would like to join <Tophat Standard> please contact any of the following officers in-game or via Curse Voice.
      - Bigmacs [Healing Officer] CV = Khemist757
      - Oghmann [Ranged Dps Officer] CV = araleus
      - Armoredpope [Tank Officer] CV = timegogo
      - Numptey [Melee Dps Officer] CV = Numptey13
      - illyih [Website/Raid Admin Officer] CV = Oz821
    • By Greendexter
      <Should be Studying> is a 3-day raiding guild on Mal’Ganis US. We’ve been raiding as a group for years, starting in the Firelands. We’re currently looking for more raiders to bolster our roster as we head into Mythic EN.
      We are a guild that is concerned with making meaningful progression, but even more concerned with having fun and maintaining a low-pressure atmosphere. We don’t consider ourselves guildies or simply a raid group, we are all friends here. We respect each other while pushing everyone to get better individually as a player.
      We’re an adult guild, with most members being in their mid 20’s-30’s. Additionally, we are an international raid team. We have players from the US, Brazil, Turkey, and Australia. Don’t worry though, everyone speaks English! :)
      Current Progression: 7/7H EN
      Raid Times: Tue/Wed/Sun 7:30-10:30 CST (8:30 EST)
      We are looking for primarily ranged DPS at this time. All exceptional applicants are encouraged to contact us, but we are pretty full-up on melee, tanks, and healers!
      Specific class needs currently include:
      MM Hunter
      Shadow Priest
      Ele Shaman
      Mage (Lower Priority)
      If you’re interested in applying or just want to talk to us, please visit You’ll need to register for the site before you can view the forums.
      Alternatively, feel free to add Dexter#1725 or Vyndir#1769 if you have any questions.
      Thanks for reading!