Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forza

Frost 2H Help

9 posts in this topic

Hi

First of all this is my first post and all,  so i'm trying to get the hang of this.

My native language is not English  so please bare with me here. 

So the short version of the story is i play 2H Frost and i think i'm doing a pretty decent job. 

I follow the guides here on Icy Veins without almost any hesitation, i gem, reforge and enchant as

icy veins deems to be best.

I was going about my usual business in a flex part 2 group, we were killing Iron Juggernaut and i had about 215k dps with 550 ilvl.

I thought i was doing fine until i glance over my recount and see another DK with the same prides fall 2H same trinkets and same talents as me, but with different gems (cant remember wich gems).

My question is, do the gems really play such a huge part in dps? Or is this just a case of he's a more skilled button masher and overall a better player, i don't really consider myself really that good.

Should i use Ask Mr Robot? Can it be trusted? It just seems really shifty with its optimised builds taht give, yes more crit but much less strenght...

I try to use my pillar of frost with the strenght trinket procs up and then pop my ghoul and all these things to get my dps up. Anyhow sorry about this rambling story My toon is Epicsaxguy on Ragnaros Eu Horde.

Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you 

Gems and reforging makes a difference, but it's a usually a small difference. And it's also situational. Usually Crit will be best for ilvl 550+, sometimes Haste or Strength may do better though. For 2H frost I would normally advise Haste until 80% then crit. I looked you up on wow-heroes but the only log it linked to was LFR from December 5th, and then I couldn't find you on the list.

Typically the largest dps losses for frost dk's are:

- Disease uptime. This should be 95%+

- Pillar of Frost, The first step is using it as many times as possible during the fight. The second more advanced step is to work on lining it up with other cooldowns such as Heroism, strength potions, big trinket procs, etc.

- Make sure you're using most of your killing machine procs on Obliterate. every time you use accidentally use a killing machine proc on frost strike you're losing a small amount of dps.

2 people like this

another thing to consider for a fight like Iron Juggernaut is the amount of time you spend dps'ing boss. If the other DK positioned himself better during the shock pulse, then he wouldn't have to run back as far, and his dps could easily be 10-20k higher than yours. Just because he spent more time dps'ing the boss.

Also on IJ, if you can time your Pillar of Frost with the shock pulse, it is possible to avoid the knock back for two of the pulses. Bit touch and go, but you can definitely avoid at least one knock back. Also, use AMS during this phase for free runic power to dump with frost strike and proc tier 5 talents.

As Storm mentioned, you should be using Pillar of Frost as much as possible. It is nice and definite boost to line it up with procs, but don't go about holding it off for too long, especially since the cooldown is reduced with the CDR trink.

Other than that, specific to IJ, you should be better off with Plague Leech. I don't know if you were using conversion, but that has to be a DPS loss as well.

I noticed you suggested an 80% haste cap before going crit. I've seen this mentioned before, although most frost guides put haste dead last when it comes to stat priority, so I'm a little confused. Should I have haste as a priority or crit? 

When I was simming my DKs offspec (2H Frost) the simulation gave me a pretty high haste value(above crit at the time), so haste does play a role in gearing still. I went and did the reforges based on those stat weights and simmed again, and got haste as the last one with the amount I already had. Not far from mastery though, but ever so slightly behind it. Talking as minor of a difference like mastery weight: 2.50 and haste weight: 2.49. What this tells me is that I'm pretty close to the "haste cap" for 2H frost, since haste has barely fallen behind.

I dont remember the exact haste I have on it atm but its somewhere in the 90%-100% range. 

TL;DR: Yes, get some haste first and then dump everything to crit. the 80%-90% haste sounds fine to me.

Edited by Ceraius

Haste will sometimes sim higher than crit overall, but this is mostly on completely patchwork fights. Once you start moving around and spending a few seconds here and there not on the boss, then Crit becomes better. Especially once you have enough haste to be resource capped.

the 80% target +/- has to do with being resource capped. Somewhere around 80% +/- depending on your talent selection and skill, you will reach a point where you always have enough runes and/or runic power to not waste any global cooldowns waiting for something to refresh. Up until this point Haste is by far the strongest stat.

Once you're resource capped then some sims may say haste is still the best stat by a little bit, some will say crit is the best stat by a little bit, but in actual fights crit is better than haste by a lot after you have enough haste to be resource capped.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MayorMayo
      Howdy howdy!

Requisite armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Mayo/simple Requisite most recent parse: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/93755/latest Am I following the Icy Veins rotation? Yup, for the most part, unless I have a brain fart. With that out of the way, I want to start by saying that I’m not unsatisfied by my DPS, but I know that I can do more / do better. 
      I’ve got two of the best legendaries (Ashes to Dust & Chain of Thrayn), two of what I think are the best trinkets. I’ve got the Claw of the Crystalline Scorpid (880) and the Entwined Elemental Foci (890) but don’t use them currently because my sims are showing Convergence of Fates (895) & Might of Krosus (895) being ~7-10k higher, but I’m very open to hearing if maybe the sims aren’t as accurate as I’d like to think they are.
      I’m just... stuck on how to get there. I was hoping that I could get some sage advice from other paladins in here.
      All of your thoughts are most appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Mayo 
    • By Bowers2194
      <Mors Certa>
      Sargeras (PvP-CST)
      Chicago Datacenter
      www.morscerta.com

About Us
      We’re a Mythic raiding guild of close friends looking to meet new people and have fun, all while progressing at a steady pace.
      We offer a competitive raiding atmosphere on a very minimal schedule.  Raiding only 9 hours a week and being competitive is a tough task, so we want people who are not only reliable, but know how to make the most of a short period of time.
      Past progression included pre-patch kill of Mu’ru, Kil’jaeden, Yogg-Saron (0 Light), Algalon, Anub-arak, Lich King, Cho’gall, Sinestra, Deathwing, Lei Shen, Ra-den, and Garrosh.

Raid Times
      Tuesday-Thursday 10PM-1AM CST (server time) or 8-11PM PST. 
      Only NINE hours a week!!!

Progression
      Emerald Nightmare (7/7 Mythic)
      Trial of Valor (3/3 Heroic)
      Nighthold (1/10 Mythic, 10/10 Heroic)

Recruitment Needs
      Healer
      --Druid
      Melee DPS
      --any competitive, high DPS
      Ranged DPS
      --any competitive, high DPS

**All quality players regardless of class will ALWAYS be considered**

What We’re Looking For
      -Be reliable – show up to raids on time on a consistent basis.
      -Understand your class- knowing when to swap to a different talent for a specific fight can often push a raid group over the top. Knowing when to play fire instead of arcane, or survival instead of marks is also a very important quality.  This included all hybrid classes that have damage and healing specs.
      -Experience, skill and gear – We are looking for people wo want to progress seriously and have a capability to play your class to a high level. We expect applicants to have combat logs to prove this as well.
      -Attitude – We have a fairly laid back raid atmosphere, but you must be willing to accept criticism.  If you are told you are messing up repeatedly, it is nothing personal, but we may sit you for the fight to get a kill.
      -Outside raid participation – Artifact power and legendries are two systems put in place in Legion that have an impact on raiding.  We are looking for raiders that perform their own player progression outside of raids (mythic+, artifact power farming, etc.) We do not require our raiders to be at 54 traits, but each raider must actively pursue this goal. 
      -Having an alt is a bonus, but by no means required.

What We Offer
      -A competitive raid environment
      -A stable guild that has existed for many years
      -Other friendly players with multiple classes to socialize and play with

Contact Info
      If any of this interests you at all, please feel free to contact us in game or on our website.
      We DO NOT do formal applications. After an interview on Discord, we will set you up with a try out during our farm run.  In the end, it’s your play that should decide whether you get into the guild or not. 
      www.morscerta.com (most website purposes are now run through our Discord)
      Battle tags: chimi#1777, chomp#1748 or chrisbowers#1297
    • By Avayl
      Hey guys, we're a newly formed guild on Stormrage alliance. Most of our leadership transferred over here from a heavy progression mythic guild just to run something a bit more casual and be a part of something a bit less dramatic. Although we're quite laid back we will still be looking to progress quickly through normal, heroic, and later on mythic NH. Not a super hard push, more about having fun and killing bosses than world/server firsts. That said we do still expect you to be prepared, on time, and skilled at your class/spec.
      Progression raids are on Saturdays and Sundays, We are looking for 875+. There is also a more casual raid on Fridays that does normal.
      Saturday and Sunday 6pm EST until 10pm EST.
      Friday starts at 10pm EST. 865+
      Class needs:
      Melee DPS - DK, Ret Pally, Warrior, Rogue
      Ranged DPS - Shadow Priest
      Healers - Druid
      Any dps that has an offspec tank is a huge plus!
      We're a tight knit guild and run +'s and Kara all the time. Always have things on calendar and discord is very active.
      If this seems like a good fit for you please contact me here or one of our officers in game.
      Purake- Parker#1401
      Zeraphel (GM)- Yami#11320
      Adorno- Steamsh0vel#1446
    • By Ririxia
      ABOUT US
      We Tried is a mythic progression raiding guild formed by an ambitious raid leader seeking like minded, progression oriented players who would work together towards clearing the latest content while it is still considered relevant. After suffering some roster issues, We Tried merged with Procrastination in late December 2016 and together we have fully cleared Emerald Nightmare Mythic within just two weeks.
      OUR PAST ACCOMPLISHMENTS & FUTURE GOALS
      Although we have since slowed down, we are proud ourselves of holding the realm 27th Nythendra Mythic and 24th Elerathe Renferal Mythic kills.
      Today we are actively working towards forming a raid team that would be able to attain our previous glory and compete on a realm wide level.
      CURRENTLY RECRUITING
      Frost DK
      BM/MM Hunter
      Retri Paladin
      Shadow Priest
      Elemental & Resto Shaman
      Arms/Fury Warrior
      *Applications from exceptional players will always be considered regardless of recruitment status*
      RAID TIMES
      Wednesday 20.30 - 23.00
      Thursday 20.00 - 23.00
      Sunday 20.00 - 23.00
      IDEAL RECRUIT
      Our ideal recruits are players who are passionate about the game and about progress. Each raider is expected to do whatever they can to improve their skills outside of the raiding environment and pull their own weight within the raid.
      We are looking for mythic ready players who, without fail, know the tactics for every boss prior to entering the instance; have solid knowledge of their class and continuously strive to improve themselves; have a near 100% attendance rating; are prepared to wipe often on progression nights and can not only take the constructive criticism that comes their way but are also able to give constructive criticism back, as well as share new ideas and approaches relevant to the content we are clearing at the time.
      CONTACT & INFO
      If you have any questions or concerns you're welcome to contact me in game (Ririxia#2172) or on Discord (Ririxia#1469). You can find more info about our guild, guidelines, raiding policies, trials and the loot system, as well as apply on our website - http://we-tried.enjin.com
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - Experience on 4 or more bosses in EN Mythic.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684  or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - 5 or more Mythic boss kills.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM/MM.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Warlock: Affli/Destro.

Any and all applications be considered.