Blood death knight, normal to heroic gear transition

6 posts in this topic

Hey there, my name is Sylvathane

armory -->

My guild recently began heroic content after getting back into it after the holidays (many of us are fathers and had long family vacations) and I am just seeking a little help in the gear department.

Is my blood 4 set worth dropping for the stats on heroic gear? I have 2 peices, the head off norushen (dodge / parry) and the shoulders off immerseus (also dodge parry) Is it worth the stats to drop a 4set, (even though they are not BiS)

Keep in mind raid buffed my mastery sits over 250% so its not like losing the mastery would be a big problem after reforges.

Any help / opinions would be greatly appreciated! 

-Thanks in advance, Sylvathane - Emerald Dream

It depends on your outlook on what a tank should be.

If you want to be the guy that absolutely lives every time no matter what is happening in the fight and even if you DC because a comet crashes into your house in real life, then the 4pc is better.

However, with the current state of tanking in general, by about 570 ilvl you will simply outgear 10/14 of the heroic fights. and dying is rarely something you'll need to worry about. From a survival standpoint it is nice to have 2 extra death strikes at your command every 1.5min, but as stated, for the vast majority of the fights you won't really "need" that to stay alive. From a dps standpoint 2 more deathstrikes every time you dancing rune weapon, or 4 heart strikes is also nice, but if you'll gain a much larger dps boost by abandoning the mastery laden tier gear and opting for parry/dodge gear instead.

It really comes down to how well you're managing your cooldowns, and how strong your healers are. If you need more survivability then stick with the 4pc. If you can live with taking less overall damage, but having 1 less cooldown at your disposal then trade the 4pc for the parry/dodge heroic gear.

2 people like this

It also comes down to itemization.  Blood tier gear is rather nicely itemized this tier, which is kinda self-reinforcing since more death strikes -> mastery's value inflates.  Doubly so since you're both using the 4pc and have the CD-reduction trink.  Basically, the current setup you have has a lot of internal synergy, which is awesome.  I personally wouldn't drop the bonus until I could replace 2 pieces at once with either very well heroic optimized pieces (parry/mastery that sort of thing) or reasonably well optimized heroic WF pieces.

Good luck, have fun, and don't die!  Well, don't die again, death knights and all that...

Nicely itemized is sort of subjective. They are the best itemized from a purely survival standpoint, but as stated above with my whole outlook on the 4pc bonus, most of DK's survivability is overkill most of the time. I prefer parry/dodge gear for the extra dps over mastery gear because I don't need that much self healing. even with a nearly pure parry/dodge build with barely over 100% mastery I can nearly 100% self heal a handful of heroic encounters, and there are only 3-4 fights where avoidance RNG can sometimes make me difficult to heal.

You can also keep your extra tier in your bags or bank in the case you encounter a situation where you need the survivability. You can give the avoidance gear a try and switch it out if you're having problems.

I personally run 4set after which I try to gear for high parry for some Riposte damage, but thats just cos im too lazy to gather a full parry set and the 4set is just crazy powerful for when you need it.

We're still in the progression of the later end heroics and the 4set is a good panicbutton there if nothing else. If you're looking to minmax I'd say hold the 4set somewhere close for those progress fights and get some parry heavy gear for the farm bosses where you feel comfortable with your survival.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dominia
      <Mythic on Mains> is a heroic raid team comprised of adult raiders who value their time while progressing through current content. The core group came together in Warlords and cleared all content on both Normal and Heroic.
      We raid Thursday and Sunday evenings.
      Invites: 7:45pm -- First Pull: 8:00pm -- End: 11:00pm (Eastern)
      We are a laid back group looking to have fun while working on current content.
      There will be wipes as we learn. But no raging tantrums or frothing at the mouth. Adult humor and language in chat and voice is ok, however be respectful and mature.
      Be available for a majority of both scheduled evenings (Thu/Sun) and for the entire scheduled raid time (Invites: 7:45pm, End: 11:00pm).
      We have very low tolerance for no-shows. We understand emergencies happen but ask that you make every effort to let us know of an absence as much in advance as possible. Remember there are other humans setting aside their time to do this as well.
      Gear must be enchanted with appropriate enchants. 
      Slotted gear must be gemmed with appropriate gems.
      Maintain an appropriate understanding of your class talents and rotations. Healers must be able to heal effectively. Tanks must be able to tank effectively. DPS must be able to pew pew effectively.
      Bring appropriate buff food, potions (heal, mana, combat), and flasks.
      Read and view fight strategies and videos when asked. 
      Graciously take suggestions for improvement and direction on voice chat. 
      Bring the fun.
      If you are interested in joining us, please apply on this thread at our guild forums:
      You do NOT have to server transfer or join the guild to play with us.
      Contact info:
      BNet: Dominia#1504
      Discord: Dominia#5437
      Twitter: @TheRealDominia
    • By Ackthal
      <Elite> Kel'thuzad (Alliance, US)

Recruiting ranged DPS and healers (855+) for our core heroic raid team. Raid times are Wed/Sun 7:30pm-11:00pm MST. We have plans to push mythic raid content once we have our raid team filled. Also recruiting all skilled players interested in Mythic+ dungeons. Please join our recruitment channel in Discord (, reply to this post, or contact Khryseiss, Snodobaggins, Ackthal, or Unumalum in-game.

<Elite> is an inaugural guild forming the foundation of what is to become an amazing online gaming community. Founding members consist of real life friends and family. We are bringing together our time, resources, skill-sets, and past gaming experiences with the goal of creating a unique environment where people can connect with others who are highly skilled, level-headed, friendly, and fun to be around. Our core membership consists of players with past Mythic/Old Heroic raiding and Gold Challenge Mode experience, as well as many other high-end gaming experiences in other game titles.

We are growing at a fast pace with an increasing pool of players that are focused on Mythic+ content and raiding. We are looking for like-minded people who take the game seriously enough to put in the effort for progression, but at the same time realize that real life, friendships, community, and having fun are more important than clearing content and obtaining gear. Having a sensible demeanor and good attitude is a must. New PVE opportunities are on the horizon, including legacy raiding for achievements/mounts. Please contact us if you are interested. Thank you!
    • By Browed
      With the new PTR info, it seems Bad to the Bone gains a little (2 >3%), is it now viable to go to that before completing the last Gold trait via the Self Heal?
      Obviously, I may end up testing this myself, but it's a lot of resource to commit ;)
      Also, I'm not sure if this steers us more exclusively to Icy Talons seeing as the Razorice runeforge dropping off with Shattering Strikes is even less desirable due to ramp up time, unless we see return of the double Razorice runeforge setup eh ;)
      If you exclude possible additional relic combinations for BttB (Bad to the Bone)
      2% x 5 stacks = 10%,
      3% x 5 stacks = 15%
      Obviously, this is a fully scaling ability, but you knew that.
    • By Sappora
      H-Bleeding Hollow

Methodical is a Horde guild on the realm Bleeding Hollow we are currently in the process of rebuilding our raid core, and are in need of players to replace some trials that were cut. We are recruiting ALL exceptional players new, or returning, for moving towards mythics. We are seeking smart players who know how to play their class well and have no problem learning new mechanics quickly.

Raid Progression: 1/7 M EN
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)

About us:
      We are comprised of long term raiders who have raided multiple expansions at a high level.
      Most of us have played together for many years.
      We try to be on a first name basis with our raiders.
      We raid to have fun with our friends but also to push progression.
      Semi-Hardcore raiding guild whose goal is to get Cutting Edge each tier.

Who we are looking for:
      People who get excited about raiding every raid night.
      People we can rely on (attendance,effort,communication,dedication).
      People who who are looking for a fun raiding environment.
      People who understand what progression is all about.
      People who engage in the guild (socially, and as an integral part of the team).

We are currently looking for non-leather RDPS.

Requirements from you:
      Be able to make our times with 90% attendance (we understand certain real life situations occasionally come up)
      Know your class to the best of your ability and be able to take criticism from other players on how to improve your class. Also go through logs and see what you are doing wrong so you can play at your full potential.
      Execute mechanics in a logical sense. You do no DPS/HPS while you're dead. Standing in fire does not give you buffs.

If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and the general vibe of raids. 

Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)
    • By Gnarkill
      Normally I don't participate in the "QQ my class is in a bad spot" but after finishing VoH mythic+8 necrotic/raging I'm considering rolling a warrior tank and not looking back. At the very least it means next time I roll necrotic on my mythic keystones I will just sit out that week. Necrotic absolutely breaks blood tanks. The affix completely negates the vast majority of our toolkit, leaving us to take unmitigated, unhealable hits to the face the majority of the time. The only real way I found to deal with it is to hope it tics down to 5s remaining and you can AMS it off, but good luck since it immediately stacks up to 15+, and it just won't work on a boss that doesn't stop for a long time to cast or reposition. 
      A single mythic+ affix should not flat out negate a tank for a week of play.