Sylvathane

Blood death knight, normal to heroic gear transition

6 posts in this topic

Hey there, my name is Sylvathane

armory -->  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Sylvathane/advanced

My guild recently began heroic content after getting back into it after the holidays (many of us are fathers and had long family vacations) and I am just seeking a little help in the gear department.

Is my blood 4 set worth dropping for the stats on heroic gear? I have 2 peices, the head off norushen (dodge / parry) and the shoulders off immerseus (also dodge parry) Is it worth the stats to drop a 4set, (even though they are not BiS)

Keep in mind raid buffed my mastery sits over 250% so its not like losing the mastery would be a big problem after reforges.

Any help / opinions would be greatly appreciated! 

-Thanks in advance, Sylvathane - Emerald Dream

It depends on your outlook on what a tank should be.

If you want to be the guy that absolutely lives every time no matter what is happening in the fight and even if you DC because a comet crashes into your house in real life, then the 4pc is better.

However, with the current state of tanking in general, by about 570 ilvl you will simply outgear 10/14 of the heroic fights. and dying is rarely something you'll need to worry about. From a survival standpoint it is nice to have 2 extra death strikes at your command every 1.5min, but as stated, for the vast majority of the fights you won't really "need" that to stay alive. From a dps standpoint 2 more deathstrikes every time you dancing rune weapon, or 4 heart strikes is also nice, but if you'll gain a much larger dps boost by abandoning the mastery laden tier gear and opting for parry/dodge gear instead.

It really comes down to how well you're managing your cooldowns, and how strong your healers are. If you need more survivability then stick with the 4pc. If you can live with taking less overall damage, but having 1 less cooldown at your disposal then trade the 4pc for the parry/dodge heroic gear.

2 people like this

It also comes down to itemization.  Blood tier gear is rather nicely itemized this tier, which is kinda self-reinforcing since more death strikes -> mastery's value inflates.  Doubly so since you're both using the 4pc and have the CD-reduction trink.  Basically, the current setup you have has a lot of internal synergy, which is awesome.  I personally wouldn't drop the bonus until I could replace 2 pieces at once with either very well heroic optimized pieces (parry/mastery that sort of thing) or reasonably well optimized heroic WF pieces.

Good luck, have fun, and don't die!  Well, don't die again, death knights and all that...

Nicely itemized is sort of subjective. They are the best itemized from a purely survival standpoint, but as stated above with my whole outlook on the 4pc bonus, most of DK's survivability is overkill most of the time. I prefer parry/dodge gear for the extra dps over mastery gear because I don't need that much self healing. even with a nearly pure parry/dodge build with barely over 100% mastery I can nearly 100% self heal a handful of heroic encounters, and there are only 3-4 fights where avoidance RNG can sometimes make me difficult to heal.

You can also keep your extra tier in your bags or bank in the case you encounter a situation where you need the survivability. You can give the avoidance gear a try and switch it out if you're having problems.

I personally run 4set after which I try to gear for high parry for some Riposte damage, but thats just cos im too lazy to gather a full parry set and the 4set is just crazy powerful for when you need it.

We're still in the progression of the later end heroics and the 4set is a good panicbutton there if nothing else. If you're looking to minmax I'd say hold the 4set somewhere close for those progress fights and get some parry heavy gear for the farm bosses where you feel comfortable with your survival.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By Ohta
      The Odyssey [Alliance - Sargeras] is currently recruiting members for our roster update heading into mythic raiding in Nighthold! We are a heroic raiding guild (formed in MoP) that has always had the capacity and intent for mythic raiding, but due to not having 20 consistent raiders, never had the chance to. We currently raid Sunday from 5:00pm CST to 9:30 CST, and Monday from 8:000PM CST to 9:30 PM CST, using the time efficiently to down bosses and clear content. We keep a friendly atmosphere in the guild through an active discord channel and by running other content in WoW (mythic +'s/kharazan(nightbane)/emissaries/etc.). Raids are ran with a positive attitude and the intent of having a pleasant time, while focusing for boss encounters to efficiently clear content in a timely manner (We have always aimed to at least get AOTC for every raid tier). We expect players to come in prepared for raid time in order to make the best use of it; this means logging on 10-15 minutes before raid, having flasks,food,and pots ready, and knowing the fights and your class. We have a core group of 13 raiders that has been raiding together since WoD, and are looking for players for all roles to expand our team for eventual mythic progression in Nighthold. If you are interested please message me with your class/spec/ilvl and raiding experience, and any other questions you may have. We would prefer players with some experience and at least 865ilvl, but any promising and motivated players will be considered!
    • By bwaargh
      So, i'm lvl 866 crit - castigator - soul reaper. Crit 27%, haste 18%, mastery 29%.  Draugr, Girdle of the Everlasting King and Sephuz's Secret. I simc at 305k dps single target. When i switch to CS - necrosis - dark arbiter, i simc at 298k dps. But my gear is crit-heavy low-mastery and i've no Deadliest coil traits yet, so i wonder if mastery build is really better now. But icy and noxxic still suggest crit-build. Does anyone have the possibility and gear to simc two of this builds with the same ilvl gear. Please share.
    • By Leshrac
      Hey! Somebody help me please, Which should I use? 
      Tiny Oozeling Jar  870 ilvl
      Accolade of Victory: (1560 str;1055 Versa) 870ilvl
      Memento of Angerboda 855ilvl
      Nature's Call 850ilvl
      Horn of Valor 855ilvl
      Spiked Counterwight 855ilvl
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/Leshrac/simple
      thanks for the help

• By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H & 3/3H Recruiting All Players for our raid group and for Mythics+.

About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus mid-Cataclysm. We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids or any players interested in joining our Mythics+. Our guild is mostly active at night, anywhere from 5pm PST till about 12am PST (varies). We have a casual-ish atmosphere with a serious desire for progression.

What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids (requires 20). At this moment, we are open to all players; we are seeking out tanks, healers, and DPS (prefer ranged). We are open to both new and returning players. As mentioned above, we are also seeking players (any class/spec) that may be interested in joining our Mythics+. We run Mythics+ almost every night. While we prefer a geared player, we value a positive attitude over experience. Any players who are interested and active at the times mentioned above, please contact us. We are also open to players interested in a "filler" type role (can make some raid days but not all).

Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Curse for our raids. RCLoot Council is a required add-on if you plan to raid with us. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. We encourage trials to join us in raids, dungeons, our VOIP, and/or even in other games. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster.

If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!