Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frozen Orb - Optimal use

4 posts in this topic

Frozen Orb is one of our major DPS cooldowns and I'm wondering if I use it to its full potential in Single Target Fights. The description of the spell is very inconclusive (or even uncorrect) from my point of view: 

"Launches a Frozen Orb forward from the Mage's position, releasing Frostbolts deal .... to all nearby targets for 10 Seconds. Grant the Mage 1 charge of Fingers of Frost when it first reaches a target".

It doesn't say how far it travels nor the range of "nearby targets". Additionally it grants more then 1 FoF (I guess one is guaranteed when the first target is hit and a chance of x% for FoF for every following hit).

Can anyone give me exact numbers on travelling distance, range of frozen orbs frostbolts and the chance for FoF procs on follwoing hits?

I think I loose a lot of FoF Procs because I'm standing to far away (or to near) to a boss when using Frozen Orb.

Which is the opimal distance in relation to the hitbox of a boss?

I hope this wasn't covered before. If I was to stupid to use the search function correctly flame me and close this topic ;)

It travels up to 40 yards. When it hits a target it will stop there. The orb's frostbolts' range is the range of the animation normally, though I cannot give you exact number. But I would say approximately 10-15 yds.

One FoF charge is guaranteed when it hits a target for the first time, and all following FoFs has 15% chance to proc per hit. Frozen orb can hit unlimited number of enemies at the same time, so if there are 10 mobs in the Frozen Orb you will get FoF proc spam most of the times.

That being said, when you cast Frozen orb the 10 seconds duration starts. So, the most optimal use of it would be from melee range, whee you don't waste its duration on travel time. (a bit further for melee range, so the orb won't go through the enemies.... :D)

I hope I answered all of your questions. :)

I hope I answered all of your questions. smile.png

Yes you did. Even the ones I didn't post. Response time: 8 Minutes. I'm deeply impressed :) Keep up the good work!

PS: One question though. I tried to research this myself, where did you get that information? Am I to stupid to use google or the forum's search function?

Wowhead and personal experience :)

Thanks for the compliment, I try my best :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Semifreddo
      Raiding guild looking for more raiders! We have a particular need of ranged DPS and a healer or two. Melee DPS are more than welcome if they have a tank off-specc. That helps with Mythic+ runs, if we have several tanks and groups going at the same time.

Progression: 7/7N, 1/7H

Raid Schedule: 20:00 Saturday and Sunday Server Time

Communication: Discord Channel

Interest: Message me on (Semifreddo#2224), or respond to this post with what class and specc you play.
    • By Sappora
      H-Bleeding Hollow

Methodical is a Horde guild on the realm Bleeding Hollow we are currently in the process of rebuilding our raid core, and are in need of players to replace some trials that were cut. We are recruiting ALL exceptional players new, or returning, for moving towards mythics. We are seeking smart players who know how to play their class well and have no problem learning new mechanics quickly.

Raid Progression: 1/7 M EN
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)

About us:
      We are comprised of long term raiders who have raided multiple expansions at a high level.
      Most of us have played together for many years.
      We try to be on a first name basis with our raiders.
      We raid to have fun with our friends but also to push progression.
      Semi-Hardcore raiding guild whose goal is to get Cutting Edge each tier.

Who we are looking for:
      People who get excited about raiding every raid night.
      People we can rely on (attendance,effort,communication,dedication).
      People who who are looking for a fun raiding environment.
      People who understand what progression is all about.
      People who engage in the guild (socially, and as an integral part of the team).

We are currently looking for non-leather RDPS.

Requirements from you:
      Be able to make our times with 90% attendance (we understand certain real life situations occasionally come up)
      Know your class to the best of your ability and be able to take criticism from other players on how to improve your class. Also go through logs and see what you are doing wrong so you can play at your full potential.
      Execute mechanics in a logical sense. You do no DPS/HPS while you're dead. Standing in fire does not give you buffs.

If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and the general vibe of raids. 

Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)
    • By Dyldoe
      So right now I play Sub as my main spec. I mained outlaw for the first week or so of Legion and honestly I hated sub (not sure why) but after I tried it, it is now my preferred spec among the 3. I know that sub scales the best with gear and is the most superior spec around 870ilv too. I never see sub in pve and usually outlaw/sin mainly (for mythic+ and raids) so I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong?
      For my talents, I use weaponmaster as it is very good for aoe pulls (I can pull about 400k dps on 3-4 targets) then followed by the traditional talents for pve sub (I go master of subtlety for raids) 
      I know my stats are not the best for sub as I need to get more mastery/vers rather than haste (crit is still pretty good if i'm correct)
      I couldn't spec into Akaari's Soul as it breaks cc in pvp with means I loose a hefty amount of dps which is very annoying and I am debating to repsec into it and put up with it in pvp for the extra dps increase.
      My weapon pathing looks like this:
      I seem to be doing everything correctly for dps but I do about 250-300k dps on single target and stays about 200k the whole time. Sometimes can go up to 350-400k depending on how smooth the fight goes but if it's anything to do with my weapon/talents/ilv/stats and even playstyle then please let me know, thanks!
      Edit: I have respecced my weapon to now look like this: 
      I should be doing better now ^^ Appreciate the help 
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [1/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out this application after leaving a comment!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By Hypertasty
      Hello all,
      Like many others on the forums, I'm in that weird space in gearing where drops have to be specifically screened based on Stat weights rather rather than item level. It seems we sins have been hit really hard by this distinction, leading to a genuine issue where deciding to take lower item level gear can impact our estimated invitation value to mythic+ groups. 
      The following is my current gears set, shitty legendary and all. My current goal is to level out my mastery a bit higher, as I made the foolish decision to value high crit gear without concern for mastery this last week, and have felt the effects.
      Check me out, and pass me some tips or love!