Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anderson

Frozen Orb - Optimal use

4 posts in this topic

Frozen Orb is one of our major DPS cooldowns and I'm wondering if I use it to its full potential in Single Target Fights. The description of the spell is very inconclusive (or even uncorrect) from my point of view: 

"Launches a Frozen Orb forward from the Mage's position, releasing Frostbolts deal .... to all nearby targets for 10 Seconds. Grant the Mage 1 charge of Fingers of Frost when it first reaches a target".

It doesn't say how far it travels nor the range of "nearby targets". Additionally it grants more then 1 FoF (I guess one is guaranteed when the first target is hit and a chance of x% for FoF for every following hit).

Can anyone give me exact numbers on travelling distance, range of frozen orbs frostbolts and the chance for FoF procs on follwoing hits?

I think I loose a lot of FoF Procs because I'm standing to far away (or to near) to a boss when using Frozen Orb.

Which is the opimal distance in relation to the hitbox of a boss?

I hope this wasn't covered before. If I was to stupid to use the search function correctly flame me and close this topic ;)

It travels up to 40 yards. When it hits a target it will stop there. The orb's frostbolts' range is the range of the animation normally, though I cannot give you exact number. But I would say approximately 10-15 yds.

One FoF charge is guaranteed when it hits a target for the first time, and all following FoFs has 15% chance to proc per hit. Frozen orb can hit unlimited number of enemies at the same time, so if there are 10 mobs in the Frozen Orb you will get FoF proc spam most of the times.

That being said, when you cast Frozen orb the 10 seconds duration starts. So, the most optimal use of it would be from melee range, whee you don't waste its duration on travel time. (a bit further for melee range, so the orb won't go through the enemies.... :D)

I hope I answered all of your questions. :)

I hope I answered all of your questions. smile.png

Yes you did. Even the ones I didn't post. Response time: 8 Minutes. I'm deeply impressed :) Keep up the good work!

PS: One question though. I tried to research this myself, where did you get that information? Am I to stupid to use google or the forum's search function?

Wowhead and personal experience :)

Thanks for the compliment, I try my best :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Archimage
      Wanted to share this:

• By Archimage
      Macros for mage talents in 7.1 just putting it out there:   Frost: /use [talent:1/1] Ray of Frost; [talent:1/2] Lonely Winter; [talent:1/3] Bone Chilling
      /use [talent:2/1] Shimmer; [talent:2/2] Cauterize; [talent:2/3] Cold Snap
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Ice Nova; [talent:4/2] Frozen Touch; [talent:4/3] Splitting Ice
      /use [talent:5/1] Ice Floes; [talent:5/2] Ring of Frost; [talent:5/3] Ice Ward
      /use [talent:6/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Artic Gale
      /use [talent:7/1] Thermal Void; [talent:7/2] Glacial Spike; [talent:7/3] Comet Storm   Fire: /use [talent:1/1] Pyromaniac; [talent:1/2] Conflagration; [talent:1/3] Firestarter
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Blast Wave; [talent:4/2] Flame ON; [talent:4/3] Controlled Burn
      /use [talent:6/1] Living Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Flame Patch
      /use [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Cinderstorm; [talent:7/3] Meteor   Arcane: /use [talent:1/1] Arcane Familiar; [talent:1/2] Presence of Mind; [talent:1/3] Words of Power
      /use [talent:4/1] Supernova; [talent:4/2] Charged Up; [talent:4/3] Resonance
      /use [talent:6/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Erosion
      /use [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Quickening; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb     General Focus Macros: /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Polymorph
      /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Counterspell
    • By Sappora
      Methodical is in search of dedicated players that are looking to push content in a semi-hardcore environment. All of our raiders try to be on a first-name basis with each other. Our raids are very fun when it comes to farm and carries, however, we do clean up when it's time for progression. When it comes to raiding we do provide benefits, paid for by selling carries. 
      All-in-all we are looking for players willing to: consistently improve their performance, take responsibility, and synergize with a group of players. If this interests you, all of our info is below.
      Information:
      Guild: Methodical
      Creation: 2013
      Server: Bleeding Hollow
      Faction: Horde
      VoIP: Discord
      Raids:
      Raid Progression: 4/7 M EN 2/3 H ToV
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)
      Benefits:
      Spirit Cauldrons
      Potion Program
      Extensive Raid Repairs
      Recruitment:
      The below are just current needs, we are accepting all exceptional players.
      Tanks: N/A, looking for OS tanks and subs.
      Ranged: Boomkin & Others , & looking for subs
      Melee: Open (Non-Leather), & looking for subs.
      Healers: Restoration Shaman, looking for subs.
      If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and our raids. 
      Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)

• By Tazinas
      So I've just changed my spec from elemental to enhancement which means I still have some crit chance in the sockets.
      My problem is that I think I'm not doing as much dps as I should with my current gear :
       http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/dun-morogh/Tazînas/advanced
      Logs from the last raid :
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wFA1DCt68Q7PBZH4/#fight=1&type=damage-done

Would be nice if someone could tell me what I can do better / where to improve :)

• By Rhythrael
      We Were Prepared is a Horde guild (Mug'thol) recruiting for Heroic farm and Mythic raiding progression, as well as aiming to build a core RBG team.

Currently we raid Tuesday-Thursday nights at 10pm PST until 12 Midnight. 

We're seeking active and engaging members for our core team to begin mythic progression.

If you have any questions or would like an invite or have questions about the guild please PM me or message Rhythrael, Rhyker or Xchaos in game