Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akraen

[General] Guide to Analyzing Snapshotting on WCL

6 posts in this topic

Alrighty guys lots of people seem to be confused with WCL, and for good reason. When you provide advanced analysis tools without a guide, it can be tough and intimidating to figure out.

The goal is to get you all to a screen that looks like this, which means understanding pins! So this is the first step to some crazy WCL analysis: Enjoy!

C9Eoz2p.png

So to explain how I got there, I put together this very hastily, poorly drawn guide for how to analyze snapshotting on WCL in a more advanced way.

This also proves people need to just leave WoL in the past, stop using it already!

lz5R9yr.png

f4jgNjk.png

xXPwdop.png

kCdHHUM.png

If you have any questions or problems (you WILL have problems, just click stuff and figure it out!) be sure to let me know and I'll help you as best I can.

Happy snapshotting! (btw, Drjayfisto is the best I've ever seen at it, that's why I'm showing you his logs!)

2 people like this

Could've just used my logs ;_;

I'm sad to see this has passed by relatively unnoticed, considering the large amount of questions we get about snapshotting. By following this guide you actually visit a large amount of practical and powerful options to analyse your performance.

You can unsticky this now since we've more or less confirmed that there's no real need to go through the effort of snapshotting. Yay for improved math!

1 person likes this

The real value of this guideis showing how pins are used.

I consider it to be really educational <3

Very true, actually. Let's make it better then once WCL releases their next update. Just in time for 6.0 when people will really want to analyze stuff!

Ill take that project then

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kirwow
      Hey there!
      I've recently started playing a mage, and I feel like my performance is a little below where it should be right now... I feel like I have the basics of the fire rotation down, but I really want to make any improvements that I can.. I don't really know where i'm going wrong, or what i'm doing that is causing a gap in numbers between me and similarly geared players. I have a log from a normal Xavius fight from earlier, maybe someone could take a look at it and point out any mistakes or give a few pointers?
      Thanks for your time!
      WCL: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xDnCkjbgT7qfMXt1
      armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Networks/advanced
    • By Archimage
      Wanted to share this:

• By Pandacho
      Most of times, the first meeting with logs for many players takes place when they feel a need to improve so in this part of the guide I'll focus on checking personal performance and comparison between 2 players.
      First of all, we have a summary tab for a specific player that shows you literally everything player related for any given fight: stats, gear, talents, artifact traits, damage/healing done and taken, etc.
      So if you want to compare yourself to another player, you can easily see now whether there is a disparity not only in spell/resources usage but in more 'general' matters like for example different talents for a specific fight, different Artifact path taken or Legendaries equipped.
      There are 3 options of comparison in WCL:
      1. Compare reports.
      Compares one full raid report (all fights) to another. To use this option you should copy the numbers and letters chain after the word 'reports/' into the 'Compare with URL' line.

2. Compare players.
      Here you compare 2 players in the same report/fight. Very useful when you have 2-3 players of the same spec that are not performing equally. 

3. Search for similar to your parses.
      A great option that actually shows you how other players of your ilvl were performing in the same fight (difficulty, fight length, amount of raiders). You can even check whether these players were using the same talents, legendaries, trinkets, etc.
      This option is much-much better than just picking from random parses or, even worse, comparing to the top-10. Please, do not compare yourself to these parses if you are not around 90%+ by yourself looking for specific tricks and clearly understanding how the top was achieved.

Do not forget to choose the right filter in 'Select Metric'.

What can we check before comparing ourselves to other players:
      - dps/healing affecting self buffs uptime:
      Many classes have to maintain certain buffs uptime close to 100% in order to dps/heal efficiently.
      You can check it in Buffs > Self-Applied tab. Here you can see not only abilities but potting and pre-potting, trinkets and enchants procs and thus be able to compare their efficiency.
      For example on this screenshot we can see an enhancement shaman with a very good Legendary. They maintained all the dps self-buffs close to perfect, had a trinket with a great 40% proc (or just being lucky in this fight) and double-potted:

While this enh shaman had a very poor dps buffs management and didn't use dps potions at all:

- amount of dps/healing CDs used can be checked in Casts tab:
      This is easy enough - take your fight length in seconds and divide it on the amount of ability casts. If you were doing it right, the amount of major CDs (2-3 min) used should be max possible (if not assigned by a RL to hold on for the timed bursts) for the given time, the amount of regular CDs (30-60 sec.) shouldn't be less than (max-2).
      The amount of major CDs used is slightly less for the healers because we are not blowing healing CDs right on the start.
      Note that in most of the fights you wouldn't be able to achieve 100% amount of possible CD casts because of movement or executing certain mechanics but you still should aim for this.
      Let's look at an example in Nythendra Mythic kill log of some resto shaman that were worried about their healing numbers. Fight length 8:13 (493 sec):

Healing Tide Totem (3 min CD): 2 casts of 3 possible in a 8 min. fight
      Spirit Link Totem (3 min CD): 0 casts of 3 possible
      Gift of the Naaru (3 min CD): 1 casts of 3 possible
      Gift of the Queen (45 sec. CD): 5 casts of 10 possible
      Cloudburst Totem (30 sec. CD): 10 casts of 16 possible
      Healing Stream Totem (30 sec. CD): 8 casts of 16 possible
      As you can see, they hardly maintain 50% of CD casts and this is the main reason of their low healing numbers.

- amount of regular casts:
      Some players just cast slow. They don't make mistakes in rotation but rather have some kind of a delay between casts while thinking about their next step or trying to change their positioning too frequently.
      If you can't find any significant problem in applied buffs, gear, consumables or the amount of CDs used, try to check the total amount of casts and compare it to other players of your spec during a similar fight.
      For example here you can see 2 Demon Hunters with the similar gear and talents in a similar fight but the difference in their amount of casts was about 25% that led to ~30% difference in Total Damage Done (143M vs 233M):

The actual damage / healing  comparison is done in 'Damage Done' tab for dps players

and 'Healing' tab for healers:

- focused targets:
      We all know that sometimes high parses are achieved by dpsing wrong targets like AoEing adds instead of focusing or staying full time on the boss instead of following priorities.
      You can check whether a player was playing 'right' in 'Damage Done' tab, choosing 'Done to Enemy' from the dropdown menu. Hovering your mouse above the enemy name will show who dps'ed it. 
      In the same tab you can choose 'Done by Source' from the dropdown menu. In this case, hovering above every player's name (or clicking it) you'd be able to see how they split their dps between targets.

- Resources tab:
      Very useful for the healers to check their mana management during fights (choose 'Mana' from the dropdown menu). Shows mana spent and mana gained from different sources like trinkets and potions.

- Deaths tab:
      Note that some people look only at the killing blow and thus sometimes assume wrong the cause of death.
      You should always click on the questioned player name and check the last 30 sec before the death: whether they used personal damage mitigation abilities, healing potions, did they received enough direct healing, etc.

- Replay:
      You can see a modeled video of the fight and check every single second of it for every player.

I tried to cover mostly the basic features of WCL in this guide, there are still much more.
      If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
    • By Archimage
      Macros for mage talents in 7.1 just putting it out there:   Frost: /use [talent:1/1] Ray of Frost; [talent:1/2] Lonely Winter; [talent:1/3] Bone Chilling
      /use [talent:2/1] Shimmer; [talent:2/2] Cauterize; [talent:2/3] Cold Snap
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Ice Nova; [talent:4/2] Frozen Touch; [talent:4/3] Splitting Ice
      /use [talent:5/1] Ice Floes; [talent:5/2] Ring of Frost; [talent:5/3] Ice Ward
      /use [talent:6/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Artic Gale
      /use [talent:7/1] Thermal Void; [talent:7/2] Glacial Spike; [talent:7/3] Comet Storm   Fire: /use [talent:1/1] Pyromaniac; [talent:1/2] Conflagration; [talent:1/3] Firestarter
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Blast Wave; [talent:4/2] Flame ON; [talent:4/3] Controlled Burn
      /use [talent:6/1] Living Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Flame Patch
      /use [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Cinderstorm; [talent:7/3] Meteor   Arcane: /use [talent:1/1] Arcane Familiar; [talent:1/2] Presence of Mind; [talent:1/3] Words of Power
      /use [talent:4/1] Supernova; [talent:4/2] Charged Up; [talent:4/3] Resonance
      /use [talent:6/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Erosion
      /use [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Quickening; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb     General Focus Macros: /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Polymorph
      /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Counterspell
    • By Pandacho
      First of all, let's cover uploading your own logs:
      1. Go to the WCL site and sign up. You now would be able to upload your logs, logging in with your username or via Battlenet after linking your account:

2. In order to upload the logs, you will need a client application. Download it here. 
      3. Before starting to log, you have to enable Advanced Combat Logging. Without it being enabled you wouldn't be able to see a lot of vital details like ilvl, talents, gear, artifact traits or resources that are written separately for every fight.
      Go to Game Menu (in game) > System > Network. Tick Advanced Combat Logging

4. To enable combat logging in game, go to your chat window and type /combatlog. Now everything you and the players and enemies around you do will be written to a file called WoWCombatLog.txt. The file is sitting in WoW directory > Logs. When you want to stop logging, type /combatlog again or just exit the game.
      5. There are two ways you can choose to log. The first is to upload the entire log file after the raid is over. The second way is Live Logging. In this mode you will see the fight on the site right after it ends so can study wipes immediately to see what went wrong.
      You can enable Live Logging in WCL uploader before the raid starts:

If you don't need Live Logging, open the WCL uploader after the raid and choose the first option 'Upload a Log'.

Now, what you can search for on the WCL site?
      Pressing the button in the left upper corner will allow you to browse through all the logged raid fights, their rankings and statistics:

Very useful option here is to search for the fights with specific filters.
      For example I want to know whether my guild would be able to kill Heroic Odyn or we'd better farm more HC EM to gear up. So I'm going to check how many guilds in Europe were able to kill Heroic Odyn in 15-man composition with 3 healers while their ilvl was not higher than 878 during the last week:
      We will go to the left upper dropdown menu and choose Odyn Rankings. This is the window we'll get:

Now we should filter our options by clicking on the 'Search' button:

After applying the search filter we'll get a list of raid teams that were able to kill HC Odyn in our composition:

Here you go! There are more than enough kills, you shouldn't worry and may even check some logs for fight or comp tips.
      Another very useful feature is to check for usage of a specific gear piece, ability, talent or even enchant. For example, there was a problem with Mark of the Claw enchant not working for resto druids. It was announced recently that the bug was fixed and now it works as intended. It is an expensive enchant so I'd like to check whether it really works before changing to it.
      In WCL we can filter the usage of a specific ability, so I'll search for Resto Druids in EU region that were using Mark of the Claw enchant during the last week in the Odyn fight and check whether the enchant proc'ed for them. Type the ability name in the search window:

Now you will receive a list of resto druids that used the Mark:

Then you can open a specific log and check how much the enchant procs during the fight:

There is another kind of search in WCL too: you can look for a specific player, guild or realm logs.
      Choosing a player will bring you to their Rankings window.
      You should note that the initial window will show you DPS rankings for the highest recorded difficulty in the most current content, no matter what's the player's role in raid (dps/healer/tank).
      So if I am a healer and want to check my healing performance in HC EM rather than Mythic EM or HC ToV, I have to apply new filters:

You can click now on any boss and see specific logs for every fight.
      If you are searching logs for a guild, you will be redirected to their Calendar so you'd be able to choose one of the raid days. Hovering your mouse above these days will allow you to see the fights list:

If you can't recall the guild name, searching the realm will bring you a list of all the active guilds (those using WCL) there.