Storm

blizzcon BlizzCon Guide Part I: Getting There and Finding a Place to Stay

5 posts in this topic

5800-blizzcon-guide-part-i-getting-there

In this first article, we cover getting to BlizzCon and finding a place to stay. Stay tuned for more!

This article is the first in a two to three part series that will be covering everything BlizzCon. Many of us here at Icy Veins went to BlizzCon last year, and will be attending again this year. We'd like to share our experiences with everyone, to help all the first time BlizzCon attendees have the best experience possible.

Also, we know many of you reading this have also been to BlizzCon in the past and some of you may be even more experienced than us. If you have tips you'd like to share we encourage you to post in the comments, and we'll keep the guide updated with all the best, most current information.

Where to Fly to?

John Wayne (SNA) and Los Angelas International (LAX) are both relatively close to Anaheim. John Wayne is the closest and most convenient, and from a few lucky places it is actually cheaper to fly to. I flew into LAX last year because I saved about $40 per ticket. The one thing I would warn about LAX is that rush hour in Los Angeles is terrible. If you're flying there to save money make sure you're arriving mid afternoon, or later in the evening. I'd rather pay $100 more to fly into John Wayne than try to leave LAX at 5pm.

Ontario International (ONT) is also an option. It is about a 45 minute drive from Anaheim, but I have been told by friends in Southern California that it is a very nice airport and not nearly as hectic as LAX.

Rental Cars and Transfer from the Airport

Ok, that's a trick title. If you're going to be in Anaheim just for BlizzCon you don't need a rental car. There is just so much awesome stuff within walking distance of the convention center (including Disneyland, Downtown Disney, and dozens of restaurants), and parking is a major hassle. By all means if you're taking an extended vacation, then rent a car, but even if you have a rental car you won't be using it Thursday through Saturday. For travel from the airport to your hotel and vice-versa I recommend using Super Shuttle. Last year, it cost us $15 per person to go one way from LAX. By comparison, a taxi ride from LAX to Anaheim costs $75-$100. Super Shuttle has curbside pickup at LAX, and is very convenient and inexpensive.

Where to Stay?

Anywhere near the convention center is a good choice, but here are a couple recommendations based on where I stayed, and what I heard from places other people stayed at.

The Hilton:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-anaheim-SNAAHHH/index.html

The Hilton is BlizzCon Party central. It's in the same plaza as the convention center, it's huge, and there will be 2000+ BlizzCon goers flooding the halls of the Hilton all weekend long. If you hang out at the Hilton bar Friday and Saturday night there's a good chance you'll run into Blizzard Developers, E-sports stars, Zagam, and other internet celebrities. (and C-list internet celebrities like that Storm guy).

Pros:
  • the center of activity after hours during the convention weekend;
  • as close to the convention center as you can get;
  • nice restaurant and bar, a Starbucks, and I think a few shops if I remember right;
  • huge crowds of Blizzard diehards.
Cons:
  • one of the most expensive hotels in the area (I've heard around $250 per night);
  • long lines at the elevators (I literally spent 5 minutes waiting for an elevator to meet up with Zagam on Thursday night).
Other Thoughts:
  • even if you don't stay at the Hilton, you can still hang out at the Hilton bar and meet people.

The Desert Palms:

http://www.desertpalmshotel.com/

This is where I stayed last year, and probably where I'll stay this year again. The Desert Palms is reasonably priced. The rooms were about $150 a night last year and they have a nice, free, breakfast buffet every morning. It's across the street from the convention center and takes less than 2 minutes to walk there. It will be flooded with BlizzCon attendees the weekend of the convention, but isn't nearly as crazy as the Hilton if you're the type that likes quiet, and doesn't like 5 minute waits at the elevator.

Pros:
  • $150 +/- per night;
  • free breakfast buffet (possibly with Storm!);
  • quieter than the Hilton;
  • the pool was never too crowded;
  • bar was also usually fairly quiet, and the bartender was really cool and gave us a lot of good recommendations for food, and places to see while we were there;
  • you can still walk over and party at the Hilton bar.
Cons:
  • the only con I can think of is that you won't be at the center of all the action 24/7, but that could be a con, or it could be a pro.

The Marriott:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxah-anaheim-marriott/

The Marriott is located in the same plaza as the Hilton and convention center. This is where Blizzard gets rooms for all there E-sports athletes, press people, and other VIP's, so maybe you can run into some Blizzard Celeb's here, although I've heard they still hang out at the Hilton even though they stay at the Marriott.

Pros:
  • rooms start at $109 per night;
  • maybe have a chance to hang out at the pool with Chris Metzen?.
Cons:
  • nothing in particular that I can think of, other than my standard non-Hilton response if you want to be at the center of all the action 24/7.

Other Hotel Locations are included on the map below

IhoTx9i.png
3 people like this

I think you've just moved to the B-list, Storm tongue.png

2 people like this

B-list! pretty soon I'll have my own Youtube channel!

3 people like this

How do you mean?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      All announcements and news from this year's BlizzCon.
      All announcements and news from this year's BlizzCon can be found here.
      This is our central BlizzCon news thread and below you'll find all the interesting news and announcements from the event.
      World of Warcraft
      Our "What's Next in Legion" Recap Our Legion BlizzCon Interview (with Ion Hazzikostas) The official "What's Next in Legion" Recap Patch 7.2: Flying in Legion & Custom Class Mounts Patch 7.2: New Artifact Appearances Legion Design Retrospective Recap Legion Dev Q/A Panel Recap Diablo 3
      Necromancer Announcement Overview Necromancer Gameplay Preview Seasons are coming to consoles Our Dev Interview (with Wyatt Cheng & Rob Foote) Hearthstone
      Mean Streets of Gadgetzan Expansion Announced Revealed Kabal Cards Preview Jade Lotus Cards Preview Grimy Goons Cards Preview Heroes of the Storm
      Hero Designer Interview (with Jade Martin) Varian & Ragnaros & Blackheart's Revenge Brawl Varian Abilities & Talents Ragnaros Abilities & Talents What's Next in Heroes of the Storm The Nexus Challenge Event (Nov 15) Overwatch
      Sombra Introduction Sombra Gameplay & Origins
    • By Stan
      What announcements can we expect at this year's BlizzCon?
      World of Warcraft
      Even though Patch 7.1 is quite fresh and Trial of Valor opens next week, we will find out what's coming, perhaps Patch 7.2? New content, raids and the story revolving around Iliidan?
      Diablo III
      This one's quite high on the expectations list. Season 8 launched with no content changes. With the Necromancer fan art leaks and the anniversary celebration, we are likely going to see a new expansion. If we get a new class I assume we will also get a new expansion. We got Crusaders with the launch of Reaper of Souls, right? To keep the game fresh, there absolutely needs to be an announcement of some sort.
      Heroes of the Storm
      With no Hero announcements after Samuro, we will definitely see some new Heroes. My bets are on Varian and even Malthael given the Diablo's anniversary celebration. I think we'll also see new maps, maybe a Haunted Mines overhaul or even new features added to the game, like Clans. 
      Overwatch
      We'll see Sombra and possibly new Heroes and maps.
      Hearthstone
      Hearthstone's fourth expansion is expected to be announced at BlizzCon.
      Rest assured, we'll be covering every panel. Stay tuned and share your thoughts in the comments below!
    • By Stan
      What's inside this year's goody bag and the store catalog?
      With the imminent start of BlizzCon it's time to look at the contents of the goody bag! If you're a Virtual Ticket Holder, you can purchase the goody bag for $35 (+ Shipping / Tax / applicable fees) here. If you're attending in person, you probably received your goody bag at badge pickup already.

BlizzCon X – Commemorative Stein, World of Warcraft – Faction Coaster, Heroes of the Storm – E.T.C. Guitar Pick Keychain, Hearthstone – Microfiber Tablet Cleaning Cloth, Overwatch – Inflatable Reinhardt Rocket Hammer, StarCraft II – Baby Overlord Antenna Topper, Diablo III – Gaming Dice Set. There's also a simple map of Azeroth, which is a preview from the Traveller book.
      Here we have the new 2016 Store Products Catalog, with pins and other BlizzCon apparel that was available for purchase for Virtual Ticket Holders.

Front Page

Pins, Key Art Shirts, Mugs

Plenty of Overwatch apparel, POP! collectibles and plush toys.
    • By Stan
      BlizzCon starts this Friday and the opening ceremony can be watched for FREE on BlizzCon.com, Twitch.tv or MLG.tv.
      In addition, if you've purchased the Virtual Ticket, all developer panels, concerts and tournaments will be available to watch in HD during the two days of the event. If you log into World of Warcraft, you can now claim your in-game goodies.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      BlizzCon 2016 begins Friday, featuring tons of developer discussion panels, epic esports competition, costume and talent contests, “Weird Al” Yankovic in concert, and more.
      If you missed out on a ticket, you can still grab a front row seat from the comfort of home by purchasing a BlizzCon Virtual Ticket, which grants access to two days of live HD coverage of the main and panel stages and unlocks this year’s lineup of commemorative in-game goodies.
      Check out the complete schedule and map, and snag the BlizzCon Guide app for iOS or Android to strategize your days. We’ve got a ton of events and activities lined up—here are just a few you won’t wanna miss:
      Opening Ceremony – WATCH IT LIVE!
      Be there for the start of the celebration on Friday at 11am PT on the Main Stage and hear the latest news about your favorite Blizzard games—streamed live for free at the links below and through the BlizzCon Guide app.
      BlizzCon.com  Twitch (also a featured stream on Xbox One) MLG.tv FREE ESPORTS TOURNAMENT STREAMS
      Enjoy two days of world-class esports on BlizzCon.com, Twitch, and MLG.tv. Check out our Watch BlizzCon Esports Your Way blog post for links to free streams for all the events in multiple languages so you don’t miss a thing!
      StarCraft II World Championship Series Global Finals
      A year’s worth of WCS action culminates in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena! The battle begins Friday at 12:30pm, and the Global Finals take place Saturday at 4pm.
      Hearthstone World Championship
      Top Hearthstone players from around the globe are gathering at the tavern! Watch the World Championships unfold starting Friday at 12:15pm, then catch the grand final on Saturday at 2pm.
      World of Warcraft Arena World Championship
      The world’s best WoW Arena teams are getting ready for combat. The mayhem begins Friday at 9am and wraps with the final showdown on Saturday at 10am.
      Heroes of the Storm Fall Championship
      Get ready for the Heroes of the Storm Fall Championship! The brawl begins Friday at 4pm, and the winning team will be named after the finals on Saturday at 4pm.
      Overwatch World Cup
      Prepare yourself for the very first Overwatch World Cup! The series begins Friday at 12:15pm, with the final matches taking place Saturday at 11:30am.
      BLIZZCON VIRTUAL TICKET CONTENT
      Developer Panels
      Join Blizzard developers for in-depth panels on World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch—order a Virtual Ticket to watch the panels on the Main and Panel stages both days of the show.
      In-Depth Interviews
      In between the panels, catch interviews with the designers, artists, and key creative folks behind your favorite Blizzard games throughout both days of the broadcast.
      Costume and Talent Contests—Featuring Thomas Middleditch
      Watch the legendary live Costume Contest and Talent Contest, this year hosted by Silicon Valley’sThomas Middleditch. Tune in Friday at 6pm on the Main Stage channel.
      Closing Concert—“Weird Al” Yankovic 
      After two days of Blizzard games and esports, Grammy Award winner “Weird Al” Yankovic will be closing out this year’s show with a bang. The closing ceremony, complete with a concert full of parody hilarity, gets underway Saturday at 6:30pm on the Main Stage.
      If you’re attending in person, the show floor is filled with exhibitor booths, developer signing areas, art exhibits, and—of course—opportunities to get your hands on the latest Blizzard games. Check out the complete schedule and map on our website for more information.
      We can’t wait to see you at the show!
      (Source)
    • By Starym
      Well, BlizzCon just got a whole lot weirder. Blizzard has announced the closing act for the 2016 edition of their very own Con and it's none other than weird Al! While most know him from his classics like Eat it and Like a Surgeon, my personal favorite is the theme from Spy Hard!
      Blizzard
      The Grammy Award–winning pop parodist will be taking the stage the evening of Saturday, November 5, to provide an epic send-off for everyone celebrating this year’s convention. If you didn’t score tickets to the show, Blizzard gamers and Weird Al fans around the world can still get a front row seat at home with the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket.
      BlizzCon is the biggest Blizzard party of the year, packed with in-depth developer panels, intense esports tournaments, the legendary Friday night contests, and what’s sure to be an epic finale from Weird Al.
      The Virtual Ticket lets you watch the action online, live and in high definition. You’ll also be able to watch most of the concert in on-demand videos that will be available within a few days after the show, although some portions may be edited or unavailable. For the best experience, be sure to watch it live!
      Order a Virtual Ticket and you’ll also receive a treasure trove of in-game goodies for World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch.
      Check out the press release for more information on this year’s closing concert featuring Weird Al. And get ready for an evening of mandatory fun—we’ll see you at the show!