Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Storm

BlizzCon Guide Part I: Getting There and Finding a Place to Stay

3 posts in this topic

5800-blizzcon-guide-part-i-getting-there

In this first article, we cover getting to BlizzCon and finding a place to stay. Stay tuned for more!

This article is the first in a two to three part series that will be covering everything BlizzCon. Many of us here at Icy Veins went to BlizzCon last year, and will be attending again this year. We'd like to share our experiences with everyone, to help all the first time BlizzCon attendees have the best experience possible.

Also, we know many of you reading this have also been to BlizzCon in the past and some of you may be even more experienced than us. If you have tips you'd like to share we encourage you to post in the comments, and we'll keep the guide updated with all the best, most current information.

Where to Fly to?

John Wayne (SNA) and Los Angelas International (LAX) are both relatively close to Anaheim. John Wayne is the closest and most convenient, and from a few lucky places it is actually cheaper to fly to. I flew into LAX last year because I saved about $40 per ticket. The one thing I would warn about LAX is that rush hour in Los Angeles is terrible. If you're flying there to save money make sure you're arriving mid afternoon, or later in the evening. I'd rather pay $100 more to fly into John Wayne than try to leave LAX at 5pm.

Ontario International (ONT) is also an option. It is about a 45 minute drive from Anaheim, but I have been told by friends in Southern California that it is a very nice airport and not nearly as hectic as LAX.

Rental Cars and Transfer from the Airport

Ok, that's a trick title. If you're going to be in Anaheim just for BlizzCon you don't need a rental car. There is just so much awesome stuff within walking distance of the convention center (including Disneyland, Downtown Disney, and dozens of restaurants), and parking is a major hassle. By all means if you're taking an extended vacation, then rent a car, but even if you have a rental car you won't be using it Thursday through Saturday. For travel from the airport to your hotel and vice-versa I recommend using Super Shuttle. Last year, it cost us $15 per person to go one way from LAX. By comparison, a taxi ride from LAX to Anaheim costs $75-$100. Super Shuttle has curbside pickup at LAX, and is very convenient and inexpensive.

Where to Stay?

Anywhere near the convention center is a good choice, but here are a couple recommendations based on where I stayed, and what I heard from places other people stayed at.

The Hilton:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-anaheim-SNAAHHH/index.html

The Hilton is BlizzCon Party central. It's in the same plaza as the convention center, it's huge, and there will be 2000+ BlizzCon goers flooding the halls of the Hilton all weekend long. If you hang out at the Hilton bar Friday and Saturday night there's a good chance you'll run into Blizzard Developers, E-sports stars, Zagam, and other internet celebrities. (and C-list internet celebrities like that Storm guy).

Pros:
  • the center of activity after hours during the convention weekend;
  • as close to the convention center as you can get;
  • nice restaurant and bar, a Starbucks, and I think a few shops if I remember right;
  • huge crowds of Blizzard diehards.
Cons:
  • one of the most expensive hotels in the area (I've heard around $250 per night);
  • long lines at the elevators (I literally spent 5 minutes waiting for an elevator to meet up with Zagam on Thursday night).
Other Thoughts:
  • even if you don't stay at the Hilton, you can still hang out at the Hilton bar and meet people.

The Desert Palms:

http://www.desertpalmshotel.com/

This is where I stayed last year, and probably where I'll stay this year again. The Desert Palms is reasonably priced. The rooms were about $150 a night last year and they have a nice, free, breakfast buffet every morning. It's across the street from the convention center and takes less than 2 minutes to walk there. It will be flooded with BlizzCon attendees the weekend of the convention, but isn't nearly as crazy as the Hilton if you're the type that likes quiet, and doesn't like 5 minute waits at the elevator.

Pros:
  • $150 +/- per night;
  • free breakfast buffet (possibly with Storm!);
  • quieter than the Hilton;
  • the pool was never too crowded;
  • bar was also usually fairly quiet, and the bartender was really cool and gave us a lot of good recommendations for food, and places to see while we were there;
  • you can still walk over and party at the Hilton bar.
Cons:
  • the only con I can think of is that you won't be at the center of all the action 24/7, but that could be a con, or it could be a pro.

The Marriott:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxah-anaheim-marriott/

The Marriott is located in the same plaza as the Hilton and convention center. This is where Blizzard gets rooms for all there E-sports athletes, press people, and other VIP's, so maybe you can run into some Blizzard Celeb's here, although I've heard they still hang out at the Hilton even though they stay at the Marriott.

Pros:
  • rooms start at $109 per night;
  • maybe have a chance to hang out at the pool with Chris Metzen?.
Cons:
  • nothing in particular that I can think of, other than my standard non-Hilton response if you want to be at the center of all the action 24/7.

Other Hotel Locations are included on the map below

IhoTx9i.png
3 people like this

I think you've just moved to the B-list, Storm tongue.png

2 people like this

B-list! pretty soon I'll have my own Youtube channel!

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• BlizzCon 2016 Dates Announced: November 4th and 5th!
      By Zadina
      Are you ready for this year's biggest convention for all of our favourite Blizzard gaming titles? BlizzCon 2016 is seven months away!

We already had some clues and suspicions that BlizzCon 2016 would be taking place during these days, but today it was officially confirmed that indeed the convention will be happening on November 4th-5th. The website for this year's BlizzCon is also live.

Blizzard Entertainment
      + Show- Hide Summon your mounts, open up a portal, and set a course for Southern California for BlizzCon 2016! Blizzard’s tenth epic gaming convention and community celebration is returning to the Anaheim Convention Center on Friday, November 4 and Saturday, November 5, 2016.

Group up with your fellow Blizzard gamers and get ready for two days of in-depth discussion panels with our developers, hands-on play time with our latest games, and intense esports tournaments featuring top pro gamers from around the world. We hope you’ll join us as we celebrate 25 years of Blizzard games—and you, the players everywhere that have helped bring them to life.

BlizzCon 2016 Tickets

BlizzCon 2016 tickets will go on sale in two batches on Wednesday, April 20 at 7 p.m. PT and Saturday, April 23 at 10 a.m. PT through the online event ticketing service Universe, priced at $199 each (plus applicable taxes and fees). Check out the BlizzCon Ticket webpage for all the details.

We’re also planning a special pre-BlizzCon Benefit Dinner the evening of Thursday, November 3 in support of Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC), where guests will have a chance to raise a glass and geek out with developers, artists, community team representatives, and other members of the Blizzard family. Tickets go on sale Wednesday, April 27 at 7 p.m. PT, priced at $750 each, and attendance will be limited—visit the Charity Ticket page for more information.

Virtual Ticket and Goody Bag – Coming Soon!

If you can’t make it to the show in person, don’t fret! You’ll be able to participate in our tenth BlizzCon from the comfort of your home with the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket, offering comprehensive live coverage of the event via a multichannel Internet stream. Once again this year, Virtual Ticket buyers will have the option to purchase a special BlizzCon Goody Bag filled with a cache of loot to mark the occasion (while supplies last). Further details on the Virtual Ticket, including pricing, availability, programming info, and Goody Bag will be announced at a later date.

Check out the BlizzCon Ticket page for more information, and be sure to visit the Universe ticket page at the dates and times above for a chance to purchase a ticket to the show. We hope to see you there!
      (source)

The dates to buy tickets for BlizzCon 2016 are April 20th and 23rd. The tickets will cost $199 USD and will be distributed by Universe. If you are planning on attending, don't forget to read the ticket purchasing guide.

Apart from the various attractions and panels, Esports World Competitions for all four of Blizzard's current gaming titles will take place during BlizzCon 2016. These include the 2016 Starcraft II Global Finals, Hearthstone World Championship, World of Warcraft Arena World Championship and Heroes of the Storm Fall Championship.

It's interesting that Heroes of the Storm will have different champions for each season, while the issue of how the world champions will be determined is raised. It also doesn't look like there will be an Overwatch eSports event during BlizzCon 2016, even though the game has a flourishing competitive scene. It is not that strange, though, since the game will be live for less than half a year by November.

At any case, we are eagerly awaiting for this year's BlizzCon! Good luck to anyone trying to get a ticket!
    • BlizzCon 2015 - Day One Reveals
      By Odinn
      Icy Veins was on the floor at BlizzCon 2015 today to get all of the announcements. We'll have full coverage of the major news after returning from the convention, but here are the official major updates from this morning's opening ceremonies:

Warcraft
      The Warcraft movie will be in theatres in June 2016. The official trailer was revealed this morning.
      The World of Warcraft: Legion cinematic trailer was unveiled, along with some new details about the expansion itself.
      Legion is available for pre-purchase effective immediately. The expansion is tentatively slated for launch in 'summer 2016' (per the WoW blog), and before September 21, 2016. Pre-purchasing Legion will grant a new level boost (to level 100), as well as early access to the new Demon Hunter class prior to the expansion's launch. StarCraft
      Legacy of the Void launches next week. The official launch cinematic debuted during the opening ceremony.
      It was announced officially that Blizzard will be continuing to release new content for StarCraft II after Legacy of the Void goes live. A trailer for the 'Nova Covert Ops' content was also featured.

Hearthstone
      Hearthstone is getting its third Adventure Mode with The League of Explorers.
      All of the new cards from this adventure set have been posted to a Facebook photo album on the official Hearthstone Facebook page. Overwatch
      A new gameplay trailer today confirmed three new heroes: D.Va, Mei, and Genji (Hanzo's brother).
      Overwatch will be out in Spring 2016 on PC (not Mac), Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, and is available for pre-purchase now.

Heroes of the Storm
      Heroes of the Storm is getting three new Heroes - Lunara, Genn Greymane, and Cho'Gall. A new map is also coming - Towers of Doom.
      Heroes' new gameplay mode is called The Arena, and is an even faster, more intense match type than the standard gameplay of current ranked/league or Quick Match play. Cho'Gall will not be available for purchase until 2016, but BlizzCon attendees and Virtual Ticket holders can utilize him earlier - and playing Cho'Gall with those players will allow non-ticket holders to unlock him as well.  

Additional analysis of the new content and today's panels will be coming soon. In the meantime, you can still take in the Saturday panels live or any panels as Video on Demand for two weeks by purchasing a BlizzCon Virtual Ticket.

Five of Blizzard's six franchises got exciting announcement updates at BlizzCon. (Sorry, Diablo.)
    • Linkin Park is the BlizzCon 2015 Closing Band
      By Odinn
      The official announcement was made this morning that American rock band Linkin Park will be the closing act at BlizzCon 2015. Linkin Park follows in the footsteps of previous closing acts such as Metallica, Foo Fighters, and Ozzy Osbourne.

Full details were posted on the BlizzCon website:

Linkin Park LIVE at BlizzCon 2015!

Whether you’re geeking out on the show floor at BlizzCon or tuning in from home, this is a performance you won’t want to miss: Linkin Park is closing out BlizzCon 2015!

The Grammy Award–winning rock band—and the biggest band on Facebook, with 63 million fans and counting—will be taking the stage the evening of Saturday, November 7, to provide an epic send-off for everyone at this year’s convention. Even if you didn’t score tickets to the show, Blizzard gamers and Linkin Park fans around the world can still get a front-row seat from home with the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket.

BlizzCon is the biggest Blizzard party of the year, packed with in-depth developer panels, intense eSports tournaments, the legendary Friday night contests—this year hosted by Wil Wheaton—and what’s sure to be an epic finale from Linkin Park. The Virtual Ticket lets you watch it all online, live and in high definition. Order a Virtual Ticket and you’ll also receive a treasure trove of in-game goodies for World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm.

Check out the press release for more information on this year’s closing concert featuring Linkin Park. We’ll see you at the show!

Are you excited for this year's concert? Let us know what you think of the choice of Linkin Park!
    • BlizzCon 2015 Schedule Released
      By Odinn
      Blizzard has released the official schedule for BlizzCon 2015. Stages play host to the WoW Arena, Heroes of the Storm, and Hearthstone World Championships, while the StarCraft II WCS Global Finals will once again take place in the Arena. The main stage and panel stages play host to the other content.

You can find the official schedule on the BlizzCon website here:

Friday
      Saturday

Images are also available here (spoilered for size/length):

Which panels are you most excited to attend/watch? Are there any noteworthy omissions?

"I felt a great disturbance on Battle.net, as if millions of Diablo fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."
    • European 'Road to BlizzCon' 2015 October 3-4
      By Odinn
      The finals for the European regional segments of the 'Road to BlizzCon' in Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, and World of Warcraft take place this upcoming weekend - October 3 and 4 - in Prague.

An epic weekend including a playable demo of Overwatch will fill the O2 Arena. Free tickets and early access have sold out, but you will still be able to watch the entirety of the action online. Here is a preview video from Blizzard:

The European Road to BlizzCon preview.

You can learn more about the teams and events on Blizzard's official European Road to BlizzCon website.

Three massive eSports events run side-by-side as the European finals for Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, and World of Warcraft run to determine who will be making appearances at BlizzCon 2015.