Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lipsinch

Switching Specs

15 posts in this topic

Heyo everyone!

Here's my story:

I currently am specced Combat. My current latency is ~180ms, and I am starting to get some Carpal Tunnel screwing effect on my hands, due to teh spammy and zomgwtfbbqfrantic nature of Combat - besides losing those CPs and being energy capped (Lust + Adrenaline + random energy regen procs ftw) because my skills don't respond in time.

Since I value my health, and I like teh game, I've pondered on switching specs to ease my pain problems and still help my team. Few friends suggested me switching to Mut, but I feel teh spec is teh complete opposite of Combat, being rather the slowest spec @Rogue's possibilities. Then, what is left is Subtlety, which for me seems to be a fair paced spec - more like a monitoring spec with quick, small and fluid burst windows (I also pick Sub because I favor it over Mut - REAL ROGUE SPEC FEELS)

Okay, so here's my problem, enlighten me with some knowledge and suggestions:

My lovely Armory - Marië

I currently have 2 Warforged N weapons 4/4, for Combat (Seismic Bore and Softfoot's Last Resort), and I got a spare Hellscream's Razor, flex iLeveled. I'd like to know if it'd be a good idea to put this Razor on use, exchanging one of my weapons (and switching teh spec), or should I break my bones a little more 'till I put my hands on another dagger (we started running Norushen H past week).

Thank you!

(and please bear with my 'teh's - vice of spelling hard to get rid of.)

Edit: I don't have logs, I always forget to log. l:

Edited by lipsinch

I'd wait until you get another dagger.  A 556 vs a 567 is a big difference, and you'd see a rather significant DPS drop.

Once you get one dagger, though, the swap is easily made!

Then I'd roll with a N Dagger on MH and Hellscream's Razor on OH?

Then I'd roll with a N Dagger on MH and Hellscream's Razor on OH?

Oh, did you mean the Razor in the OH?

Yes, played well with a N Dagger in your MH, you should be ~5% behind your current setup.  A slow NWF 4/4 1h in the OH might be the better choice, as the difference between an equal level slow/fast OH is at max 7%, which is heavily offset by the higher ilevel.

TL;DR, N Dagger in your MH, slow OH with the best stats should be fine.

I wonder what would be my DPS loss if I used this flex dagger right away together with my Bore. Obviously I'd sport a DPS loss, but how big would it be, given teh accentuated and concentrated single target boost from Sub (I used to raid as Sub before, I got teh priorities, rotations and such - I think) compared to teh frantic single target from Combat.

I don't wanna lose DPS permanently ingame and out of it. Lol.

I wonder what would be my DPS loss if I used this flex dagger right away together with my Bore. Obviously I'd sport a DPS loss, but how big would it be, given teh accentuated and concentrated single target boost from Sub (I used to raid as Sub before, I got teh priorities, rotations and such - I think) compared to teh frantic single target from Combat.

I don't wanna lose DPS permanently ingame and out of it. Lol.

If you're really good at Sub, I'd suspect around an 8-10% loss.  But, I really can't be sure.

1 person likes this

Guess I'll find out when I try it out.

Thanks for yer directions. =)

Update on the changes:

My DPS fell to 170k (from 220~230k, ~23% of DPS loss...), with some errors in teh rotation (SnD downtime and overwrite was rather high), but teh damage on boss made me happy (600k crits on Eviscs). Thing is, Garrosh is a rather lenghty fight full of downtimes and have quite a bunch of AoE parts, so it's hard to measure properly (as said on other topic, Garrosh is Combat territory, gotta compare on a single target fight - Juggernaut or Sha).

I forgot completely to get the logging program again. Zzzzzzz

I guess once I get a Heroic Dagger, my DPS might come back to teh higher levels.

And my hand still alive and punchin'. Lol!

Update on the changes:

My DPS fell to 170k (from 220~230k, ~23% of DPS loss...), with some errors in teh rotation (SnD downtime and overwrite was rather high), but teh damage on boss made me happy (600k crits on Eviscs). Thing is, Garrosh is a rather lenghty fight full of downtimes and have quite a bunch of AoE parts, so it's hard to measure properly (as said on other topic, Garrosh is Combat territory, gotta compare on a single target fight - Juggernaut or Sha).

I forgot completely to get the logging program again. Zzzzzzz

I guess once I get a Heroic Dagger, my DPS might come back to teh higher levels.

And my hand still alive and punchin'. Lol!

As long as you're PERSONALLY doing better, it's always good!

The problem with Sub is that it has NO AoE.  Combat has Flurry, Assassination has Envenom FoKs, but Sub has nothing.  If you want to compare each from your old logs, you can look at damage purely to the boss, though!

The best thing to work on for Sub is Expose Weakness uptime, and it's the real key to the spec.  I've seen a lot of rogues that like to use Shadow Dance on the pull instead of after the first Expose Weakness, but I think that leads to lower overall DPS.  Try to use it after your first EW falls, then Vanish --> Ambush when the first Shadow Dance EW falls, wait for Shadow Dance, and Prep --> Vanish --> Ambush after the next one falls!

That's one thing I'm lost at - I was trying to check on Skada, but I couldn't find out how to isolate damage on boss. Gotta study a little teh addon.

Also I failed on some stupid things, like reacquiring target (Garrosh) quick enough (switching from Weapon to him, got a macro to go towards teh weap, but none back to Garrosh lol).

Also, I think my reforge wasn't correctly done. I was using Haste > Crit > Mastery, when I should be using Haste > Mastery > Crit, due to the way Sub deals damage (Evisc spam). I'll give a new try with this reforge build next week.

That's one thing I'm lost at - I was trying to check on Skada, but I couldn't find out how to isolate damage on boss. Gotta study a little teh addon.

Also I failed on some stupid things, like reacquiring target (Garrosh) quick enough (switching from Weapon to him, got a macro to go towards teh weap, but none back to Garrosh lol).

Also, I think my reforge wasn't correctly done. I was using Haste > Crit > Mastery, when I should be using Haste > Mastery > Crit, due to the way Sub deals damage (Evisc spam). I'll give a new try with this reforge build next week.

Fight --> Enemy Damage Taken --> Garrosh Hellscream.

1 person likes this

Feedback on weekstart:

Raiding as Sub in my raid setup currently is inviable, as we're doing some kind of different mechanics on fights and tanking is somewhat skewed... - can't get behind boss. I guess I'll end up sticking with Mut for teh time being, or even start playing a Shammy - raid NEEDS totems. Hope I get a weapon drop.

Edited by lipsinch

Feedback on weekstart:

Raiding as Sub in my raid setup currently is inviable, as we're doing some kind of different mechanics on fights and tanking is somewhat skewed... - can't get behind boss. I guess I'll end up sticking with Mut for teh time being, or even start playing a Shammy - raid NEEDS totems. Hope I get a weapon drop.

Quite frankly, that shouldn't affect you on any fight.  If they're forcing you to stack on the tanks, they're doing it wrong.

Quite frankly, that shouldn't affect you on any fight.  If they're forcing you to stack on the tanks, they're doing it wrong.

Not stacking on tanks, specially because that way I'd be @ teh front of teh boss and not behind it. =P

I'm giving up too early, I think. It was very frustrating yesterday on Immerseus H, I had to move A LOT to be at boss' back, but still had to limit myself so I wouldn't dirt up teh room much with those puddles, so @ teh end I was basically spamming Hemo to do something.

I dunno, I feel noob. Gonna give a new try. If anything fails, then I'll assume that I'm not good enough to play on Sub and will pick up on an easier spec.

Thanks for all teh advices, Hybrys. You're being really helpful.

Not stacking on tanks, specially because that way I'd be @ teh front of teh boss and not behind it. =P

I'm giving up too early, I think. It was very frustrating yesterday on Immerseus H, I had to move A LOT to be at boss' back, but still had to limit myself so I wouldn't dirt up teh room much with those puddles, so @ teh end I was basically spamming Hemo to do something.

I dunno, I feel noob. Gonna give a new try. If anything fails, then I'll assume that I'm not good enough to play on Sub and will pick up on an easier spec.

Thanks for all teh advices, Hybrys. You're being really helpful.

Just remember that Sub is challenging, and is often ranked as one of the hardest specs to play (I place it in my top 5) because of the positionals and the EW mechanic.

Imm is pretty difficult, and running Sub for Protectors feels like a nearly futile effort. But Norushen, Sha, Galak's burn phase, and IJ are fodder for Sub's power, and should be pretty great experiences.  (For IJ, Step / Cloak / Step the pulses to show off.  Shadow Dance should come up with the Cloak, and end before the step.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Annaky
      Hi guys,
      First of all, sorry about my bad english, but i'll try to write well here.
      I'm returning to play with my rogue and trying to get him to at least heroic contend on the atual content.
      The guild made a run last night all through Normal EN and Nyth HC, and I was a little disappointed with my performance...
      Can u guys help me?
      I already saw that I could improve in SoD uptime, but i'm having problems with my energy management.
      Any help you suggest I'll be very grateful.

Logs.
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LZ1cJzvTB4pfWCQ8#type=summary&source=14&fight=7
      Armory.
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azralon/Xmokÿ/advanced

Thanks in advance.
      Annaky
    • By Dyldoe
      So right now I play Sub as my main spec. I mained outlaw for the first week or so of Legion and honestly I hated sub (not sure why) but after I tried it, it is now my preferred spec among the 3. I know that sub scales the best with gear and is the most superior spec around 870ilv too. I never see sub in pve and usually outlaw/sin mainly (for mythic+ and raids) so I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong?
      Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Dyldoe/simple
      For my talents, I use weaponmaster as it is very good for aoe pulls (I can pull about 400k dps on 3-4 targets) then followed by the traditional talents for pve sub (I go master of subtlety for raids) 
      I know my stats are not the best for sub as I need to get more mastery/vers rather than haste (crit is still pretty good if i'm correct)
      I couldn't spec into Akaari's Soul as it breaks cc in pvp with means I loose a hefty amount of dps which is very annoying and I am debating to repsec into it and put up with it in pvp for the extra dps increase.
      My weapon pathing looks like this: https://gyazo.com/61e1d2ba599db43cb2faeee306c72e81
      I seem to be doing everything correctly for dps but I do about 250-300k dps on single target and stays about 200k the whole time. Sometimes can go up to 350-400k depending on how smooth the fight goes but if it's anything to do with my weapon/talents/ilv/stats and even playstyle then please let me know, thanks!

Edit: I have respecced my weapon to now look like this: https://gyazo.com/e972f73591090f9895e097d9782e3035 
      I should be doing better now ^^ Appreciate the help 
    • By Ysondrae
      Given the logs i checked recently for all bosses in EN heroic and normal for almost all dps specs (not only rogue), it seems sub rogues lack about 40k+ dps on average compared to lets say unholy DKs for most of the fights so maximising dps is essential if someone of our specc would want to not be stepped on by other "op" speccs in mythic raiding .Since there are no real advanced guides yet for sub rogues I am making this post so people can see some advanced tips for sub rogues and at the same time receiving feedback if anyone thinks i am missing something or saying something wrong.
      1)Rotation:
      -1.1:The first point i would like to make here is that i think it is a dps gain if you refresh nightblade on 6 seconds if you got finality but not when you dont have it. So when i dont have finality i refresh it at ~=1 sec so i dont lose much dps
      -1.2:Regarding how i do my rotation and plan out my combo points(without hero/Shadow blades), when i have lets say just got out of SD and have around 30-40 energy i mostly wait only autoattacking expecting to get 1 cp from autoattacks while pooling energy and then at around 100+energy i SD-SS-SS-Finisher-SS-SS-wait for 1 cp -Finisher, this way i get 2 finishers with a single shadow dance pretty fast and i almost never run out of shadow dance charges in most Single target situations
      -1.3:Shadow blades: I would really like to know how shadow blades are supposed to be used. It doesnt give any extra damage and the +1 cp ,given the above rotation, will make little difference in dps. I mostly use it when i have pooled like 150 energy and have no SD charges just as a SD recharge mechanism using only backstab to build CP. This way i recharge 1.5-2 SD charges.Is it actually worth it popping it on hero? I would appreciate feedback on this from anyone who knows a more wise way to use it.
      -1.4:For aoe situations: With the recent changes for Sub they are pretty decent in aoe. The question i have is on how many targets is it worth it to ShurinkenSTorm instead of SS (in shadow dance state) to build cp. What i do on 3+(long living) targets is using storm to get CP and focus on keeping up nightblade on all targets.
      2)Regarding the talents i am always using 1-2-3-1-1-1-1 on all bosses currently in EN. I have seen that the only discussable talent change would be Deeper stratagem over VIgor. I prefer VIgor not only because it leaves for a bigger error window in the rotation but also because i cant see how Deeper stratagem is preferred by some people over Vigor. I mean according to logs i see many people on high % ranks with Deeper stratagem but me myself cant rly figure out how it plays out so good for them. So i have some questions
      -2.1:Are you aiming always for 6 cp finishers?
      -2.2:What happens if you want to refresh Symbols with only 100 max energy? For me it doesnt work out good because most times i lose like 1 second(or 1 shadowstrike) of SD from the lack of energy.Whereas with vigor it just fits perfect on the rotation as i have said above.If there is anyone using deeper stratagem and is really sure about his rotation give some feedback over it i would appreciate it 
      I would appreciate any feedback on any of the topics. My logs are these https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/3156255/latest
      Make sub rogues great again! :P
    • By TheGamingCouple
      Hey guys
      So my wife has been progressing on Mythic Archi for a while with her guild and her dps is definitely on the low side. She is still not 100% used to the subtlety rotation so that's probably one of the reasons but I was hoping one of you could give some specific tips to increase her DPS on Archi.
      Here's her armory (739 ilvl)
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Arilaa/simple
      Here's some logs from today
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FXjJb9nzhm3GQCgy
      Last week:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LnCZW3YGfRAXwv2H
      If anyone feels like they're willing to chat with her on mumble or something and give her some tips, that would be great too, I feel like that's probably the easiest way for her to learn and see what she is doing wrong/different.
      I play a ret pally and have 0 experience with rogues so I can't tell her how to do sub, just trying to be a helpful husband here and help her out a bit. Doing low dps is definitely getting to her and it's stressing her out a bit.
      Appreciate any help guys! Thanks
    • By Naztharos
      Now as i have run into this debate with many rogues that have asked me for advice on how to improve there dps from many different specs i have not been able to give a good answer. i have been playing since vanilla but am only casual so i don't have all the answers. 

*On a side note. all of these assumptions are for people who play solo or are just in casual social guild who don't raid or do mythic dungeons. Yes these people are far more common that a lot of people seem to believe. 

My typical first step is to look over there gear. and most people have the same issue. no tier, no trinkets, only baneful / lfr gear. and most of them have been sub spec. 

so first question id like you all to help me with. 

Is it even worth playing sub until you have your normal 4 set and soul cap?

I have been telling people no simply because i have never seen it done EVER. however im only casual so i dont know 100% myself. i play under the assumption that combat and assassination are going to give far better results simply because its a much simpler rotation for people. is my assumption correct here or am i a noob myself?

Next part is what i just mentioned. i have been suggesting people to swap specs and work towards the gear they need to start preforming better with the better single target specs. such as normal raid content, not heroic.  

I usually suggest going combat to start since its the easier spec to learn in my opinion and working on clearing normal for the basic gear. starting on some trinkets and tier. 

Question here is that really the easiest way to go about it? some people HATE when others try to tell them how to play. But if you ask for the simplest way would this not be the best way to go? Is there an even simpler way to go about it that i'm completely missing?

And here is the question about the hated PVP gear. personally i have no idea why people hate this gear so much on some classes. my hunter, rogue, warlock are all full pvp gear except trinkets. and they all do exceptional numbers on normal and they are all right on the base minimum requirement for heroic (which i believe is around 45k min.) 

So i have been telling people to Try and pvp for the upgrades they need. and as long as they follow the stat priorities listed here on the site that it should carry them easily through normal. assuming they were lower than full empowered baneful gear of course.
      Do you think that for at least rogues is a easy way to gear up for normal raids? and get most of the stats you need?

And finally the mythic dungeons. people seem to think that they are the same as heroic and will run in there with not even 650 ilvl and literally do nothing, I have been tying to explain to people that you should at least have mostly upgraded baneful gear (not the item upgrade that you buy with valor, just the Rng upgrade chance when you identify the gear / use the token on it.) and know how to play your basic spec before entering these.

I get laughed at alot for this for some reason but everyone seems to think that there is a fleet of nice helpful random people perfectly willing to carry people through them. in truth they mostly piss people off. if someone tried to waist my time like that id leave instantly unless i knew what i was going into before hand. 

Question here is am i right to assume that people should at least have id say roughly 685 gear and know how to play the spec? i know i expect alot but i assume anyone who is trying to do this actually WANTS to make progress. not just shuffle around and stagnate. 

Also im sure sure all of these are answered in other topics but i don't have a lot of time to go search through forums to find all the answer's. Any and all input would be nice here i am not looking for people to tell me i'm right. i actually want to know if i'm wrong. the idea of this post is to kinda help guide people who want to do endgame but don't know the way.

*Last note. Sorry if this is all jumbled and out of order. i will fix it up if i get the Help im looking for.