FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Trivia Lore Contest: WoD Beta Keys, J!NX Apparel, Mounts and Pets

7035-trivia-lore-contest-wod-beta-keys-j

Join in our Trivia Lore Contest to earn awesome prizes, from WoD Beta Keys to J!NX apparel!

Over the next 10 days, we are going to give away 150 Warlords of Draenor beta keys, a number of WoW and Hearthstone themed apparel from J!NX, and mounts and pets from the in-game store. Instead of simply giving the items away to random people, we are going to hold daily trivia quizzes on the lore of World of Warcraft, each day featuring a different theme.

For the first 7 days, starting tomorrow (Wednesday the 17th of September), we will create, each day, a forum post in the Giveaways section at exactly 20:30 GMT (which means 1:30PM PDT, 4:30PM EDT, or 22:30 in Paris). The post will feature exactly 20 lore questions. Each person who is the first to correctly reply to a question will receive a beta key.

On Friday, the 26th of September, we will publish a much harder set of 10 questions (still at the same time). As it turns out, the 26th of September is also the day J!NX is unveiling their new World of Warcraft and Hearthstone collection: https://www.jinx.com/shop/coll/blizzard/srt/new/. The first winner of each question will get the prizes associated with the question (all clothes are from J!NX, of course):
  • Question 1: 3 WoW t-shirts, 1 WoW hoodie, 1 Hearthstone t-shirt, 1 WoD beta key, 2 mounts, and 2 pets;
  • Question 2 and 3: 1 WoW t-shirt, 1 WoW Hoodie, 1 Hearthstone t-shirt, 1 WoD beta key, 2 mounts, and 2 pets;
  • Questions 4 to 6: 1 WoW t-shirt, 1 Hearthstone t-shirt, 1 beta key, either 2 mounts, 1 mount + 2 pets, or 4 pets;
  • Questions 7 to 10: 1 WoW t-shirt, 1 WoD beta key, either 1 mount or 2 pets.
There are a few important rules that we need to state, which we will reiterate every day in the post we will make.
  • To reply to a question, you need to write the number of the question, followed by a fullstop, a space, and the answer itself, without typo. For example, if "Stormwind" is the answer to the question number 5, then "5. Stormwind" is the answer you should give.
  • We will run an automated script to find the winners, so typos will not be counted as proper answers.
  • You can reply to multiple questions, but you need to do so in separate posts.
  • Posts that have been edited will be disqualified.
  • If you made a typo, then make a new post.
  • If you want to make sure that you will not be missing the daily post with the questions, you should follow us on Twitter to be reminded about the contest.
  • Vlad and I are the only ones who know the questions and answers, so everyone else who works on the website can enter the contest.
UPDATE: It turns out that the Hearthstone hoodies that J!NX was planning to give to the winner are not going to be released before BlizzCon, so they replaced it with WoW t-shirts and I updated the prizes.
  • Like 3

How do we know if we won?

Those who won have received a message from me with their beta key. You did answer correctly to some questions, but in every case, someone beat you to it.

Those who won have received a message from me with their beta key. You did answer correctly to some questions, but in every case, someone beat you to it.

Oh somone else answered correctly before me to the question 15? I was so sure i had it right and was first :/

15. What is the name of the Draenor zone where Deathwing lived for a while?

Zone. You asked for a zone. The zones name was Ashran. Therefore the asnwer

15. Deathwing's Lair

cant be correct since thats only a name of his "cave". Blades edge mountains isnt correct either.

"Ashran is the same island that held Deathwing's Lair shortly after the Second War.

When Deathwing briefly relocated to Draenor in the aftermath of the Second War, the great black dragon built a new lair, Deathwing's Lair, on a rocky island a short flight east of Hellfire Peninsula and the Skeletal Coast. It served as the headquarters of Deathwing and the other dragons allied with the Horde during the Dark Portal Crisis after the Second War.

The island's original name was Ashran." <--That was not correct?

No one else answered Ashran? I am confused.

Edited by Nonparelli

15. What is the name of the Draenor zone where Deathwing lived for a while?

Zone. You asked for a zone. The zones name was Ashran. Therefore the asnwer

cant be correct since thats only a name of his "cave". Blades edge mountains isnt correct either.

"Ashran is the same island that held Deathwing's Lair shortly after the Second War.

When Deathwing briefly relocated to Draenor in the aftermath of the Second War, the great black dragon built a new lair, Deathwing's Lair, on a rocky island a short flight east of Hellfire Peninsula and the Skeletal Coast. It served as the headquarters of Deathwing and the other dragons allied with the Horde during the Dark Portal Crisis after the Second War.

The island's original name was Ashran." <--That was not correct?

No one else answered Ashran? I am confused.

+1 to nonparelli

Deathwing's Lair is not the answer, it's Ashran.

I had Ashran and Deathwing's Lair as the two possible correct answers. Someone answered Deathwing's Lair before you answered Ashran, so they got the key.

I had Ashran and Deathwing's Lair as the two possible correct answers. Someone answered Deathwing's Lair before you answered Ashran, so they got the key.

But that is not correct as i said above. Deathwings lair is not a zone.. <_<

Saying that deathwings lair counts as a zone is like saying elwynn forest and goldshire are the same thing you know.

Even just having 2 choices for a correct answer is not right or anyway fair since you put emphasis on writing the answer correctly.

Edited by Nonparelli

But that is not correct as i said above. Deathwings lair is not a zone.. dry.png

Saying that deathwings lair counts as a zone is like saying elwynn forest and goldshire are the same thing you know.

Even just having 2 choices for a correct answer is not right or anyway fair since you put emphasis on writing the answer correctly.

How is Deathwing's Lair not correct?

Ashran is a name that appeared in the past year to designate what everyone who played Warcraft II (and those a bit interested in lore stuff) had known as "Deathwing's Lair" up until now. That some clueless guy wrote on wowpedia that the "island's original name was Ashran" does not change that.

Oh sow now official WoW lore is written by some clueless guy? First of all "Deathwings Lair" can refer to ANY place where he resided. And its a SPESIFIC LOCATION, not a ZONE that you asked for. What an attitude from an admin anyways... Thought this was gonna be a cool place but nae, changed my mind. FTW people that cant admit theyve maken a mistake.

How is Deathwing's Lair not correct?

Ashran is a name that appeared in the past year to designate what everyone who played Warcraft II (and those a bit interested in lore stuff) had known as "Deathwing's Lair" up until now. That some clueless guy wrote on wowpedia that the "island's original name was Ashran" does not change that.

so Hellfire Peninsula is also correct  answer ?

http://wowpedia.org/Deathwing%27s_Lair

deathwing lair ashran

http://wowpedia.org/Ashran

Oh sow now official WoW lore is written by some clueless guy? First of all "Deathwings Lair" can refer to ANY place where he resided. And its a SPESIFIC LOCATION, not a ZONE that you asked for. What an attitude from an admin anyways... Thought this was gonna be a cool place but nae, changed my mind. FTW people that cant admit theyve maken a mistake.

Anyone can modify a Wowpedia page and this is what happened with the Deathwing's Lair article. On the 23rd of Match 2014, someone whose Wowpedia login is ReignTG decided to edit the Deathwing's Lair article and add "The island's original name was Ashran". That does not equate to "official WoW lore", which is taken from documentation published by Blizzard.

Anyway, up until WoD came, the only name we had for this island was Deathwing's Lair, because the Draenor map from the Warcraft II manual was showing only one bit of information for this island: "Deathwing's Lair". It may have been referring only to the particular place Deathwing was dwelling in on the island, but it became the general name of the island by extension.

I hope that this is enough for you to accept that Deathwing's Lair is a valid answer.

As for you calling me on my attitude, I have taken the time to review my replies to you and I see no reason for you to become so worked up.

And one could also argue that Ashran is not a valid answer, because we only know this name from the new timeline, which is being featured in Warlords of Draenor, and it could very well be that the naming of the island has to do with the Alliance and Horde setting their Draenor base there. As far as I know, there is no evidence that this island was ever referred to as Ashran in the original timeline.

Out of curiousity, can someone receive multiple keys from this contest?  I was kind of disheartened when I found out that the only person to comment before me on day 2's contest seems to have also won a key the first day by answering 'Thrall' to number 8.

Just wondering, thanks!

Out of curiousity, can someone receive multiple keys from this contest?  I was kind of disheartened when I found out that the only person to comment before me on day 2's contest seems to have also won a key the first day by answering 'Thrall' to number 8.

Just wondering, thanks!

Yes, one person can win multiple keys. The rules do not forbid that. If you play another day or two, chances are high that you will get a key.

How long do you estimate it will take to see if you won? Because I checked through and found that I was first to answer to #12 today : 3 just curious

I guess you no longer need me to answer that tongue.png