FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vekja

Tired of suck... (Disc)

I have been raiding since Naxx on my priest so I like to think I kinda know what I am doing? but... it would seem that I know nothing when you look at my HPS.. My output is just so sub par. I have a lot of off nights where it would seem as though I have no idea what I am doing.. and other nights where I do ok.. but lately it's been less ok and more bad.. SO. With that being said..This is getting to the point where I am thinking hard about maining something else because I feel so inadequate.. super depressing.. because I love my priest.

I would like to note that I am really pushing AA tonight which I had not been doing for the last month at least. Some of the weeks I was doing very well without it, top on the meters by a long shot even.. but I read the other priests thread where they were asking for help and it was suggested that AA should be used more. I tend to bubble.. like, constantly... I am refusing to believe that it is the fact that I pretty consistantly raid at aroudn 600ms world latency and about 500-600 home. It has been this way since I began playing and like I said, there are times when I have been top.

I dunno. I am at a loss. I am sad and looking for help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Logs:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zMYcKW8T6G14vhyk/#type=healing&source=8

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Vekja/simple

Edited by Vekja

The nerf to PW:S made us a bit lower, but still OK imo.

One thing I see in your logs is that you dont use PoH much at all, and a great way to get your numbers up is to get 1 (or more if there is time) stack of evangelism and then trigger archangel for the 100% crit of your next PoH. I have macro to /cast archangel + /cast Prayer of Heling so I dont even need to think about it.

Don't give up on your priest! Lovely class to play :) Go holy if you get tired of Dic, but stay priest <3

• Like 2

One thing I see in your logs is that you dont use PoH much at all, and a great way to get your numbers up is to get 1 (or more if there is time) stack of evangelism and then trigger archangel for the 100% crit of your next PoH. I have macro to /cast archangel + /cast Prayer of Heling so I dont even need to think about it.

Don't give up on your priest! Lovely class to play smile.png Go holy if you get tired of Dic, but stay priest <3

That's all very sweet of you and good advise. It's just frustrating that I try so hard, reading info, looking at priests with comprable gear and their logs.. there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I was casting PoH a lot, then it was suggested to me that I shouldn't.. The other priest in my guild is holy and much better than I am. I am not good at it because I haven't played it since Naxx... Not that I couldn't re-learn it.. I don't know. That macro is good advice though. I try to stack Evangelism 5x before triggering AA. If you think my HPS would go up by just gaining one stack, I'll definitely try it out. I don't as much now, but did have trouble gaining ANY stacks of evangelism until recently. I have always been a big fan of Attonment healing, not that I think it's viable to concentrate on it more than I do to only get Evangelism stacks at this point.. But I was a huge fan..

Don't give up on your priest! Lovely class to play smile.png Go holy if you get tired of Dic, but stay priest <3

That's all very sweet of you and good advise. It's just frustrating that I try so hard, reading info, looking at priests with comprable gear and their logs.. there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I was casting PoH a lot, then it was suggested to me that I shouldn't.. The other priest in my guild is holy and much better than I am. I am not good at it because I haven't played it since Naxx... Not that I couldn't re-learn it.. I don't know. That macro is good advice though. I try to stack Evangelism 5x before triggering AA. If you think my HPS would go up by just gaining one stack, I'll definitely try it out. I don't as much now, but did have trouble gaining ANY stacks of evangelism until recently. I have always been a big fan of Attonment healing, not that I think it's viable to concentrate on it more than I do to only get Evangelism stacks at this point.. But I was a huge fan..

Its not that stacking Evangelism to 1 stack compared to 5 will increase your healing, it's that if you don't have time to get to 5 stacks, then 1 is better than nothing as EAA will give your Poh or Flash Heal 100% crit. If only the tank will take damage pop it on him then resume shielding and building Evangelism. If a raid-wide damage is coming in 4 seconds and you're only at 1 stack of Evangelism, pop AA and then PoH them for the immediate (10k?) shield (multistrikes+their crits too hopefully)

Additionally, Prayer of Mending isn't all that amazing as disc. It's not amazing as holy either, but I use it as I have the 2 piece pvp bonus which increases my and the target's versatility by 130*5(if it heals them 5x) which increases my total healing by 8%. As disc, I never, ever cast it except for pre-pull. Maybe when it hits 10 jumps it might be worthwhile.

Also, was looking at just some cooldowns, you could try to make better use of PW:Barrier and Beserking, and there were 2 slows that were not dealt with by anyone. The Holy Priest had 7, the Druid 4, and the paladin 1 dispell. Slow is something that needs to be dealt with as -50% haste is a terrible thing to suffer.

Do you use mouseover macros to cast your spells? That is probably the biggest way to increase your HPS.

I wouldn't discount the other priest being better, it may be that they have dialed in the changes for WoD faster than you have been able to.

Yeah, using Archangel a lot more will be a nice healing increase.

Use Archangel at *ANY* stacks of evangelism and then PoH to use your empowered AA proc and enjoy the rest of the boosted healing. I know you've had that said a lot, but honestly, AA is incredibly powerful, especially with the empowered AA. Try use this near to on CD (If big boss ability X is coming up, save it and try get a few more stacks of Evangelism, otherwise just pop it. For example, expel magic: shadow on Ko'ragh. I try pop AA there, fire off a cascade then PoH a group, preferably the ones with the tanks in it)
Also, on most fights I *WOULD* take words of mending over clarity. Yes, clarity is a strong tank-heal. But I would only take it on fights where you don't need to move a lot (Imp is a fight I wouldn't take Clarity on) plus, you have a paladin who's only way to play is to tank heal really. So Kargath, Butcher, Bracken(ONLY if Necrotic breath is trouble for your tanks, if not don't take Clarity) and Ko'ragh(to keep the soakers up. Clarity is amazing for this) are clarity fights IMO. Otherwise go WoM. Because whilst you don't ever cast Prayer of Mending, WoM is free healing rather than using a 100 talent that's not gonna see much use, if any at all.
That being said. NEVER cast Prayer of Mending. It is a WASTE of mana. It does very little healing for Disc.
Make sure your using penance on CD. Preferably as a heal. But if there's nothing else to do, use it for DPS. (Atonement isn't worthless, it still does okay, but it's not gonna carry you through like it did in MoP. It's now been bought back to how it was intended to be used, during major downtime).

PoH, I would try and only cast with the Empowered AA proc. Never use it otherwise because it doesn't do enough healing for the mana cost.(exception is whilst under Power Infusion)

Cast Cascade more if it's going to do very little, if not any overhealing.
Hope this is helpful.

• Like 3

Its not that stacking Evangelism to 1 stack compared to 5 will increase your healing, it's that if you don't have time to get to 5 stacks, then 1 is better than nothing as EAA will give your Poh or Flash Heal 100% crit. If only the tank will take damage pop it on him then resume shielding and building Evangelism. If a raid-wide damage is coming in 4 seconds and you're only at 1 stack of Evangelism, pop AA and then PoH them for the immediate (10k?) shield (multistrikes+their crits too hopefully)

Additionally, Prayer of Mending isn't all that amazing as disc. It's not amazing as holy either, but I use it as I have the 2 piece pvp bonus which increases my and the target's versatility by 130*5(if it heals them 5x) which increases my total healing by 8%. As disc, I never, ever cast it except for pre-pull. Maybe when it hits 10 jumps it might be worthwhile.

Also, was looking at just some cooldowns, you could try to make better use of PW:Barrier and Beserking, and there were 2 slows that were not dealt with by anyone. The Holy Priest had 7, the Druid 4, and the paladin 1 dispell. Slow is something that needs to be dealt with as -50% haste is a terrible thing to suffer.

Do you use mouseover macros to cast your spells? That is probably the biggest way to increase your HPS.

I wouldn't discount the other priest being better, it may be that they have dialed in the changes for WoD faster than you have been able to.

Hey. I like a lot of what you have to say. some really good advice. It drives me INSANE that I can't use barrier more.. I am ONLY allowed to use it whne it is called for and the guy ( the other priest) is the guy calling for Healing CDs.. I bring it up every sinlge week at least once, nothing changes wiht that. Dispels, I do cast it.. but it's usually wasted because someone alwasy seems to get to it first.

I use VuhDo or Healbot to heal so the mouseover question.. kinda? Beserking is macroed to PI and whatever trinket I might happen to have that's an on use trinket, which are none at the moment.  Sometimes when I use my macro it will either only trigger Berserking or PI.. It's keybound to mouse-wheel up so I can hit it fast..

Last night was better when I didn't stress so much on stacking Evangelism 5x.. I was popping it more.. probably not on every CD but much more frequently than I had been.

I woulnd' t discount that the other priest is better either. I would say that's a pretty accurate statement. I also wanna say that it ALWAYS happens with me.. I am never playing as good as I should be in my opinion and it's pretty depressing. I try, I read.. I troll logs of better players... I ask for help.. lolol Maybe I am just that bad.. i dunno..  I am good at executing mechanics.. and if someone is about to die, I regulary save them somehow.. however, this isn't the stuff that gets noticed or acknowedged. I don't mean it to sound like a pity party.. I realize how it sounds.. It's jut that the amount of "practice" I put into the game and for the amount of years I have been playing I should be better.

Don't give up man, Healing is actually the hardest role in this expansion.

It is super demanding of attention, and there will be MANY times where your healing will appear to "suck" when your other healers are on top of it.

Raiding is a team effort, you have to be aware of when your other healers are low on mana, and then heal a bit harder to pick up the slack while they regen. 

I used to be super demanding on myself, and wanted always to be "at the top of the charts by THIS MUCH". That is just plain impossible for this expansion; There will always be some other class that is better than you at a certain flight, and you might top the healing for some other engagement, because you are suited to do that.

Take shamans for example, They are crazy good on fights like tectus, butcher, and brackenspore, as there is significant raid-wide damage to really take advantage of our mastery; Especially shroom duty*1% shroom to 80% or more in one heal* But fights like kargath, Ko-ragh, and ogron, we suffer because of spreading causing chain heal not to jump, or having to move alot, interrupting our casts to avoid fire when our cds are down, etc.

The point is, if at the end of the day you and your group down the boss, you did your job well enough to attain victory.

Just follow the healing pattern that feels like it will save someone from death, and try your best without complaint.

PS: Cooldowns are meant to be used when you feel they are needed most. I would bring it up to them that you will use cds whenever you feel they are necessary to keep x amount of people alive; I did the same to my guild, asked them to trust in me, and they gave me a shot. I did not disappoint, and now have control of when to blow my CD's whenever I feel they will be needed most.

Also, Having a macro tied to a /say message when you pop a CD will inform them when its active, and will let them look at their UI for CD management.

• Like 2

Something that helps me increase my hps is to stop caring about meters. Seriously HPS is a rough estimate of how good a healer is. Disc and Hpallies get to dominate the meters due to absorbs. That being said, the best way to increase your healing is to watch what abilities are going out on the fight and pre bubbling everything. Make sure that you are tracking debuffs on your raid frames in a way that's obvious to you. For example the Bile Slingers on Kargath put a debuff on a player for ~12 seconds. The player with the debuff on them is going to be taking damage, so I toss a PW:Shield on them and any others that get the debuff. Majority of the fights have a similar mechanic. Mainly you want to watch your DBM to know when you need to blanket the raid with PW:S and when not to. The advice above about AA is spot on, if there is any damage going out at all, even miniscule, don't cast smite, its a crap skill for attonement. You can easily build 5 stacks of evang from offensive penance and Holy Fire/PW:Solace.

• Like 1