Divinorum

Raiding with 2 Disc Priests - Can it be done?

Sign in to follow this  

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've got a question this morning specific to raiding as a Priest. I'm currently a raiding priest that's 10/10 Heroic BRF, and up until now I've been raiding with our progression team as Holy. I've played this spec because our guild already has an established Disc priest in the raid (he's the raid leader) and being lower on the totem pole means you have to compromise for the good of the raid (if you wanna get into the raid!). Prior to joining my current guild, I had been a Disc priest and was very, very comfortable playing that spec.

However, I really haven't enjoyed playing Holy very much. It took me a few weeks to bed into this new spec (which I'd never really played very much), and get the needed muscle memory in place so that I was operating at high efficiency. After sticking through that initial adjustment period, I feel I have the knack for it. My numbers have improved markedly week over week, but... I just can't generate the same HPS as a Holy priest. It's becoming frustrating because it's starting to suck the joy out of the game for me. My logs show that as a Holy priest I often rank middle of the pack or worse when it comes to HPS and percentile rankings. Flip that to Disc, and I'm among the *most* efficient, regularly scoring above the 85th percentile.

Does anyone know of or have evidence of a guild utilizing 2 disc priests for endgame/progression raiding? I'd be very interested to see how they handle healing assignments so that there's no overlap on the weakened soul debuff, and they can both operate at max efficiency. I've seen bits here and there that suggest one Disc takes Clarity of Will and tank heal, while the other takes Words of Mending and prioritizes Holy Nova a little higher in their spell selection. But, I've not seen any logs that corroborate that anecdotal evidence.

Any evidence that this is a viable raiding setup would be awesome. I really want to enjoy raiding with my priest and want to continue doing so. But doing it as Holy for the long haul just isn't appealing to me at all. The spec frustrates me to no end. And finding a new guild that'll let me be Disc isn't the answer, I love my guild. The raid leader is open to the idea of 2 discs, and I just want to show him evidence it's viable. If there's a shot it could be done, I'd like to know.

Hi, Divinorum and welcome to the forums!

I personally raid on two toons when one of them is a disc priest and it happened not once that we had two discs in raid.

Unfortunately, you did not provide any logs and did not mention your raid composition and healing setup, so I will try to answer in general.

The value of two discs in setup highly depends on who are your other healers.

1. The bigger your raid is - the better two discs will feel themselves. Meaning: 2 healers setup (discs) - pretty bad, 3 healers setup (with two discs) - problematic because one of them will have to direct heal most of time and this is not a disc's strong side, 4 healers setup (with two discs) - okay, 5 healers setup (with two discs) - completely fine.

2. If you have 3-4 healers setup and your other healer is a Holy Paladin - it's not very good for 2 discs because your CoW will interfere with the Beacons and both disc with CoW and Pala will lose more than gain.

3. You will always have to divide your zones of responsibility, groups to heal and pretty much take different talents in tier 7: CoW and WoM - so one of the discs will mostly prevent tank and single target (soakers) damage while the other one will shield the raid.

I am not saying here that disc with CoW shouldn't shield the raid, but due to the long cast time of CoW, they wouldn't be able to use PW:Shield proactively.

You will have to divide the groups in raid for PoH healing and shielding direction (one disc starts from gr.1 and goes forward, the second one starts from group 3 (15-man) or 4 (20-man) and moves backward)

4. You should use proper healing frames and always track Weakened Soul debuff so you wouldn't waste time trying to reshield debuffed raiders.

5. Two discs would feel better on farm raids where the damage is pretty low and 'healing' healers often get very high overheal numbers.

Two discs would make a problem on progress raids with high overall damage in small raid groups where the healers have to bring people back to full health pretty fast.

Anyways, it was the theory.

If your raid is 20-man+ and you don't have a Holy Pala - go for two discs, it's fine, in other case - you should plan very carefully what every healer is doing and maybe you will still have to switch to Holy on some fights to not complicate the life of everybody.

Hope, it helps.

If you have any more specific questions, you are welcome to ask smile.png

Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback!!! I apologize for overlooking a link to my logs. You can view them by clicking the link below, they'll be listed on the right hand side. Up until this week, we had been raiding with 1 Disc, 1 Holy Pally, 1-2 Druid/Shaman, and myself. As of this week, it appears we've picked up another Pally. Which really makes life more miserable for me. 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/dalaran/divinorum

Myself and the raid leader (coincidentally, the disc priest) have come to an understanding that will allow me to switch between the specs depending on the fight and circumstances. On some occasions, he'll dps and I will Disc in his place. Which is all I've really wanted. I am all for doing what needs to be done for the raid, but it's arguable that me playing Holy doesn't even accomplish that - given that so much of my healing is overheal.

Yeah, I understand your concerns. But there is no much you can do in the situation when you have too many healers and they are playing same classes.

The only valuable decision here (and you already made it) for all the healers is to have a dps spec and rotate.

Btw, so much of your healing is overheal because you are using too many healers. I see 5 healers for 19-man HC in your logs.

In my team we switch from 3 to 4 healers when moving to 18-19 people (depends on fight).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tanksta1
      [H] Salvation (est.2007) is a progression raiding guild on US-Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune.
      Objective
      Salvation is actively searching and recruiting players for current heroic content. What we look to do in the short-term is recruit players and gear them in our farm content. Mythic + will be run as well since it serves as another outlet to gearing up. By doing this we prepare them for our long-term goal, Mythic Mode Progression.
      Recruiting for Tomb of Sargeras
      Tanks- Blood DK x1 or Brewmaster Monk x1 Melee- Rogue x1, Havoc Demon Hunter x1 Ranged- Mages x1, Hunter x2, Warlock x1, Balance Druid x1 Healers- Holy/Disc Priest x1, Resto/Ele Shaman x1

***Exceptional applicants can feel free to sign up even if we aren't recruiting your class/spec. Outstanding applications will always be considered.
      We are also accepting players that engage in social aspects of the WoW community such as leveling, PvP, questing, dungeon finding, roleplaying and other challenging activites. We provide monthly guild events. For example, the Tournament of Tiny Champions. It’s a pet battle tournament where guildies compete with each other using 3-6 of their mightiest level 25 tiny champions. We are expanding this extremely fun side of Salvation so that everyone can join in on some action and prizes!
      Raiding Schedule
      Our schedule is as follows. We push content three times a week for 3 hours at a time starting at 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays. 
      Our Raiding Requirements
      You must be able to raid all three nights. Be on time for raid. Lateness will not be tolerated. Be able to play the optimal specialization for Legion raid encounters. (this requirement is more towards the pure dps classes and hybrid classes in some special cases) Come prepared with the knowledge of the Legion raid bosses and mechanics. Have Discord app installed and a working microphone to communicate. Discord browser and phone app is also acceptable. (Note: Some of these requirements will change as time goes on.)
      How to Join
      Please sign up on our guild website at:
      www.salvationcc.guildlaunch.com Want to reach me in game? On Discord? Questions or concerns? Hit me up at:
      Battletag: Zanngetsu#1255 Discord: Tankstâ2329  
    • By MarcHethrusWaters
      Maximum Effort is a new guild on Cenarion circle (A). I was the raid leader for my guild for a long time and we built up a strong raid team. Due to do some dis-agreements between me and the guild leader I was forced to leave. But luckly enough a lot of my team followed me! We're working to build a guild focused around team work and group progression. We love doing mythics, raids, talking and theory crafting about the game!
      We have a very strong-core raid group, capable of clearing heroic and doing some mythic but we're just missing a few people to round it out!
      Raid nights.. Tue/wed 6-830pm server (9:30-11:30 est) Off night Monday 6-830pm server (9-11:30 est)
      Looking for.. -Any and all dps specs
      - Non pally or holy priest healer!
      All raid mats and needs are covered by guild, we run personal look just for the ease of it.
      My btag is Hethrus#1504 if you have questions or wish to try out!
    • By MarcHethrusWaters
      Maximum Effort is a new guild on Cenarion circle (A). I was the raid leader for my guild for a long time and we built up a strong raid team. Due to do some dis-agreements between me and the guild leader I was forced to leave. But luckly enough a lot of my team followed me! We're working to build a guild focused around team work and group progression. We love doing mythics, raids, talking and theory crafting about the game!
      We have a very strong-core raid group, capable of clearing heroic and doing some mythic but we're just missing a few people to round it out!
      Raid nights.. Tue/wed 6-830pm server (9:30-11:30 est) Off night Monday 6-830pm server (9-11:30 est)
      Looking for.. -Any and all dps specs -possibly a raid healer
      All raid mats and needs are covered by guild, we run personal look just for the ease of it.
      My btag is Hethrus#1504 if you have questions or wish to try out!
    • By FoxShine
      Hello! This is Fox from Velocity. We're a not-so-hardcore morning Mythic raiding guild on Sargeras. Currently 1/9M, 9/9H ToS. Last tier we reached 7/10M NH in the two months leading up to ToS. Now we'll be focusing on Mythic ToS progression. A fun fact about us, since were a morning guild we actually got 2 realm 1st's on Heroic. Worldwide our H Goroth kill was 15th, and Demonic Inquisition was 8th (according to wowprogress). Were looking for good and reliable players for our roster, mainly DPS, who can learn the fights quickly and attend our early raid times. 
      [A] <Velocity> 1/9M 9/9H (7/10M) - MORNING raid LFM
      Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs / Mon(Opt/Alt)[/quote]

Looking for:
      Currently Need
      Ranged - Mage, Ele Sham, Hunter, Warlock, Boomkin
      Melee - Rogue, Ret Pally, Warrior, Demon Hunter
      Healer - Disc Priest, Resto Sham, Holy Pal.
      Would consider

Tank - Flex Bear, Vengeance DH/ Havoc
        Requirements: 
      Item Lvl:  915+/-
      Exp:  9/9H (Pref), 8/9H ok

*Specific classes are listed above as preference. However, any class is welcomed! We will consider anyone who is willing to join and can commit to our raid times, we may also make exceptions if you are under the requirements.

Expectations:
      We’re not super hardcore, we like having fun, but we do have high standards; so we expect our raiders to play their class well, come prepared, FOLLOW MECHANICS, have a sense of humor (or not) and adapt quickly. Prior Mythic raiding experience is a plus, though not necessary if you're a fast learner. 
      Due to our morning raid times, we encourage everybody to communicate about attendance via Calendar invites, Discord channels, or through tells with an officer. It’s important to know who will be available week-by-week so we can make arrangements for raid days. This is necessary to avoid setbacks and keep up with progression! We are very understanding when someone needs to post-out. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask is for a heads up!
        Perks: Feasts, Codex, Spirit Cauldrons, near-unlimited guild repairs, and the occasional gem or enchants. We run alt raids and Mythic+ 15s with each other each week. We're a tight-knit guild, who's always joking around and helping each other out. We also play other games together outside of WoW, like Overwatch, SC2, Heroes, Diablo, Dota2, LoL and whatever else.

Additional Info: The morning slot is kind of niche, so it’s important we find players who are dedicated and realistic with their schedules.
      Our Officers are veteran players who have experience raiding at high levels, as well as a majority of our core players. We want to uphold a certain level of standard, the point being that we can joke and have fun while getting stuff done.
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Leave a reply here, send us a tell on BNET or in game. Or be old school and send an in-game mail! Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon! =D

Fox#1713
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410