Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0rinda

hearthstone SL i-League Hearthstone StarSeries Group A2 results and prize money breakdown

1 post in this topic

14690-sl-i-league-hearthstone-starseries

The second group stage of the Global League portion of the $50,000 SL i-League StarSeries was split into two groups. The first of these contained Thijs, Dog, Surrender, and JAB, who battled it out to qualify for the LAN finals in January. The format was double elimination best of five conquest.

The players brought the following lineups for this big money qualifier:
  • Thijs: Mid Druid, Secret Paladin, Patron Warrior
  • Dog: Mid Paladin, Control Priest, Oil Rogue
  • Surrender:  Secret Paladin, Aggro Shaman, Zoolock
  • JAB: Mid Druid, Mid Hunter, Zoolock

Match one: Thijs vs Surrender

Rising star Surrender showed why he is getting that strong reputation by changing up his lineup to be very aggressive. Having previously played Malylock and Patron with Secret Paladin, he switched gears and replaced those with Shaman and Zoo. After losing the first game with Zoo against Patron, he swept Thijs' Secret Paladin with some precise play to take a 3-1 win.

Match two: JAB vs Dog

Dog took down the first game with Paladin against Druid but lost game two as his Control Priest struggled against Zoo. In game three he fought back again by simply running the Druid out of resources as Priest. He couldn't get a win with his Rogue however and JAB ran out the 3-2 winner.

Elimination Match: Thijs vs Dog

Dog's Priest again beat Druid in game one and was in a decent position in game two with Rogue vs Secret Paladin until a Piloted Shredder dropped a Whirling Zap-o-matic, and although Thijs didn't have a Blessing of Kings to put on it, the resulting pressure meant that his Mysterious Challenger was enough to win the game and level at 1-1. Thijs won a back and forth game with Druid against Paladin to lead 2-1 but was unable to win with Patron against either Paladin or Rogue and Dog won this very long hard fought match 3-2 to relegate Thijs to the Last Chance qualifier.

Qualification Match: Surrender vs JAB

Surrender won this match 3-0 to qualify for the LAN finals. The match was quick but there were lots of tricky decisions and JAB found a way to give himself a chance to win game two with Hunter against Zoo when all looked lost. The loss meant a rematch with Dog to see who progressed along with Surrender to the main event.

Qualification Match: JAB vs Dog

Jab opened up with Hunter to beat Priest, in part due to a terrible oversight with Dog letting a Garrison Commander live, but this time Dog beat Zoo in game two with Priest to level at 1-1. Game three saw Dog again beat Druid with Paladin in what is becoming the flagship matchup of the current meta. JAB's Druid beat Rogue to set up a nerve jangling final game between his Zoo and Dog's Rogue. In an exceptional game, Dog managed to set up several outs and won with a top decked Blade Flurry to progress to the LAN finals.

The Prize breakdown for the finals has been announced as follows:

1st: $20,000
2nd: $12,000
3-4th: $5,000
5-6th: $2,500
7-8th: $1,500

First stage recaps:
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D