Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hearthstone Hearthstone Designers Discuss Creating the "Discover" Mechanic

1 post in this topic

IGN have conducted a fascinating interview with Lead Designer Ben Brode, and Associate Designer Dean Ayala, about the conception and evolution of the Discover mechanic. Reading through the article, I noticed that it also unveils some other things about the design team's plans and ideas, which I thought I'd share.

The first thing I noticed, was that they tested various places to put the card that you discover. They mention that they tested putting it on top of the deck, but that was a problem with cards like Forgotten Torch which shuffle the deck. This has big implications for the future, as it means that the deck has an order, and Blizzard can put things in various places in the deck. These are mechanics that we have seen in other card games, but not as of yet in Hearthstone. To know the deck is ordered, and that cards are actually shuffled in when they say they are, means that the top and the bottom of the deck can be used in future card texts. As the game stands currently, we would be unable to tell if a card was just randomly selected from the remaining pool of cards in a deck.

I also found it interesting that Ayala said they found, through playtesting, that discover and "draw a card" were roughly equal in value. This enabled them to use stats from similar cards, (he gives Gnomish Inventor as an example). It should be reasonably clear that the smaller the pool that you draw from, the better the card is relative to a card drawn from your deck. Given that they used this metric, it tells us what we already know; Museum Curator, Ethereal Conjurer, Dark Peddler, and Raven Idol are good cards. Those cards draw from a small pool and are still costed for "Draw a card".

The fact that the designers admit that it is frustrating to lose to cards from another class is also interesting. Brode says this is now referred to as Class Bleed, and that they don't want too much of this. I suspect that means we'll see fewer cards like Unstable Portal in the future.

Another thing I thought was interesting was that the last tweak was still a matter of weeks before a set was locked down. Brode considers that "towards the very end". This shows just how far in advance they plan things.

Finally is the comment that card draw is dangerous because it sets up consistency, and consistency is boring. I feel that tells us the minimum levels of randomness they have in store for the future of Hearthstone. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, as they've decided that Class Bleed is to be avoided. This seems to imply they're intending to walk a very narrow tightrope of randomness, but it does mean we probably won't be seeing consistent combo decks like Patron Warrior again any time soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By L0rinda
      This week's Tavern Brawl is Captain Blackheart's Treasure. It is the fourth time that this Brawl has been used.
      Captain Blackheart's Treasure was most recently used as the  63rd Tavern Brawl, in late August. This week is the 72nd Tavern Brawl, so as you can see, it is a pretty quick repeat. In this Brawl you are given a deck full of Bloodsail Raiders, and each turn are offered a choice of three cards to put into your hand.
      As always, I would remind people that I feel this is a more skillful Brawl than it first appears. It teaches a lot about planning ahead, and also tempo in general. Given that players can play this Brawl with no cards of their own, I am a big fan of this Brawl from a design standpoint.
      Captain Blackheart's Treasure was originally designed to showcase the Discover mechanic for The League of Explorers. It actually made its debut late however, as it was withdrawn due to technical issues.
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Midrange Tempo Warrior Wild deck.
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Arcane Giant Grim Patron Warrior Wild deck.
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Midrange Purify Priest Wild deck.
    • By L0rinda
      The Hearthstone Championship Tour enters the final phase today, October 26, with the Hearthstone World Championship.
      After a long year of qualifying events, the World Championship is finally here. The sixteen qualifiers will be playing for their share of a million dollar prize pool, with $250,000 going to first place.  There will be four groups of four players, and the top two from each group will advance to the single elimination knockout stage. Each match will be played as the best of seven Conquest. The groups and players' deck archetypes are listed below.

Cydonia: Malygos Druid, Secret Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, C'Thun Warrior
        Thijs: Malygos Druid, Secret Hunter, Questing Rogue, Mid Shaman, Zoo Warlock
        Handsomeguy: Malygos Druid, Secret Hunter, Malygos Rogue, Mid Shaman, Control Warrior
        Jasonzhou: Malygos Druid, Miracle Rogue, Mid Shaman, Zoo Warlock, Nzoth Warrior

Bbgungun: Token Druid, Secret Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, Zoo Warlock
        Naiman: Malygos Druid, Tempo Mage, Face Hunter, Mid Shaman, Yogg Warrior, 
        Che0nsu: Malygos Druid, Secret Hunter, Mid Shaman, Zoo Warlock, Dragon Warrior
        Hamster: Token Druid, N'Zoth Murloc Paladin, N'Zoth Preist, Mid Shaman, C'Thun Warrior

Amnesiac: Malygos Druid, Face Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, Control Warrior
         DrHippi: Malygos Druid, Face Hunter, Tempo Mage, Yogg Warrior, Mid Shaman
        Yulsic: Malygos Druid, Mid Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, Zoo Warlock
        Breath: Malygos Druid, Face Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, Yogg Warrior

HotMEOWTH: Malygos Druid, Face Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, C'Thun Warrior
        Pavel: Malygos Druid, Tempo Mage, Malygos Rogue, Mid Shaman, C'Thun Warrior
       DDaHyoNi: Malygos Druid, Secret Hunter, Tempo Mage, Mid Shaman, Yogg Warrior
        OmegaZero: Token Druid, Tempo Mage, Totem Shaman, Zoo Warlock, Dragon Warrior
      There will be one match from each group per day, and the first match starts at 18:00 CEST on 26 October, live on Twitch.