FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Green Fire: Quest Line + Kanrethad strategy

First off, I know I am not a Warlock and have no idea on how it works, but from what I saw, people tend to complain about RNG for the quest item to drop at first.

Although I cannot confirm 100% on this, I have helped 2 warlocks with their farm of the item, and on both occasions, it dropped from Al'tabim the All-Seeing, after 5-6 rare/summon-stone kills on the first warlock, and going straight for Al'tabim for the second warlock. If anyone still has a warlock that hasn't started it, can you please check this ?

This quest line was just what the doctor ordered for my WoW "been-there-done-that" blues. The fight was absolutely epic, so much so that even with several posted strats it was still impossibly difficult to pull off. The sense of satisfaction for having done so is great. Blizz should extend this type of quest line to other classes.

Mmmmmm, daydreaming about being able to change shadow priest into holy priest DPS, with Holy Orbs and Holy Mind Flay(white beam ofc), and he glows white instead of dark, and DoTs do Holy instead of Shadow damage, transform into a SoR instead of Dispersion,.....

*sigh* I need to wake up now :(

First off, I know I am not a Warlock and have no idea on how it works, but from what I saw, people tend to complain about RNG for the quest item to drop at first.

Although I cannot confirm 100% on this, I have helped 2 warlocks with their farm of the item, and on both occasions, it dropped from Al'tabim the All-Seeing, after 5-6 rare/summon-stone kills on the first warlock, and going straight for Al'tabim for the second warlock. If anyone still has a warlock that hasn't started it, can you please check this ?

Actually, my first drop was off of Goda. Got two more in the same week, one off of Mumta and the other off of Haywire.

I got my book off haywire aswell, I had to start over because I couldn't teleport out to repair on stage 5. it kept rezing me at the boss.

Are there supposed to be voice overs for this quest chain?

Dunno what im doing wrong but at full hp sacrifical pact + twilight ward on caos bolt is still 1 shotting me

Edited by Rabb

I got my book off haywire aswell, I had to start over because I couldn't teleport out to repair on stage 5. it kept rezing me at the boss.

Are there supposed to be voice overs for this quest chain?

Dunno what im doing wrong but at full hp sacrifical pact + twilight ward on caos bolt is still 1 shotting me

No voice overs that I recall.

For the Chaos bolts, what I did was place the demonic gateways 20yrds from each other, and use them as often as I could, this will drop aggro on him and cause him to cancel the Chaos bolt before it finishes. When you are killing felhunters, Line of SIght him behind the left pillar so you can focus on them and not him.

No voice overs that I recall.

For the Chaos bolts, what I did was place the demonic gateways 20yrds from each other, and use them as often as I could, this will drop aggro on him and cause him to cancel the Chaos bolt before it finishes. When you are killing felhunters, Line of SIght him behind the left pillar so you can focus on them and not him.

Strange when I watched some of the videos the npcs were talking I didn't hear any of it my game tho. Im still stuck on the imp part got killed everytime. Droping agro dosn't seem to do anything for me. I don't know whats going on. Spent litterly 2 hours truing to figure it out.

I managed to get on the felhounds. Still stuck there tho

Edited by Rabb

Strange when I watched some of the videos the npcs were talking I didn't hear any of it my game tho. Im still stuck on the imp part got killed everytime. Droping agro dosn't seem to do anything for me. I don't know whats going on. Spent litterly 2 hours truing to figure it out.

I managed to get on the felhounds. Still stuck there tho

Keybind your pet action "GoTo" so you can quickly send your pitlord to the corner on the right side behind the pillar. When Kanrethad attempts to do Cataclysm the second time, which is right before he summons the felhunters, I stayed right in his face so I was closer to the right pillar where I would send my pitlord as soon as he starts channeling. Basically I when I'm nuking him after my pitlord stuns/interrupts cataclysm, I'm more focused on when he starts running to the portal as my cue to send my pitlord into the corner.

Make sure when you send your pitlord away you turn his stance to passive so he doesnt come out to help you. Stand infront of the portal and snag aggro fast on the felhunters by any means necessary, and slowly work your way to the left pillar corner to LoS the next chaos bolt as you dps the felhunters down.

For both imps and doomlords, you can use the pitlord to grab aggro on them with felbreath, so they don't destroy you as you AoE them. And dump threat with your demon gates. Don't forget soulshatter if you need to.

Hi all and thanks for the strategies! I have been working on this for a few days and quite a few attempts. The strategies listed all work great and has allowed me to get to the third round of imps, I have both Doomlords handled by the Pitlord as recommended but they will eventually kill the Pitlord and, as you can imagine, game over. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? My guess would be to banish one of the Doomlords, would this be a good move? Or just a delay? I haven't had trouble with the Seed of Ultimate Doom going off and killing me yet due to the Purification Potion suggested by many on this forum. But this is getting aggravating. I'm so close. My ilevel is 495 so I figure that I should be able to get this guy down. Not sure what my DPS is in here as my Recount doesn't pick up this fight for some reason, but I've never had any trouble with putting out some good numbers. Any advice would be appreciated. And thanks for such a great site!

Tip for the maze of traps leading to the first boss... you can put down raid markers using the eye as you go through... so when the eye disappears you still have a visual mark on the ground where to step. With only 5 raid markers I was only able to mark so far ahead but it kept me from setting off any traps.

Tip for the maze of traps leading to the first boss... you can put down raid markers using the eye as you go through... so when the eye disappears you still have a visual mark on the ground where to step. With only 5 raid markers I was only able to mark so far ahead but it kept me from setting off any traps.

Or you can glyph into this for the traps and create portals.

Glyph of Eye of Kilrog

Your Eye of Kilrogg is no longer stealthed and can now place your Demonic Circle. The casting Warlock must be within line of sight of the Eye of Kilrogg to place the Demonic Circle.

Edited by Sliquelock

Hi all and thanks for the strategies! I have been working on this for a few days and quite a few attempts. The strategies listed all work great and has allowed me to get to the third round of imps, I have both Doomlords handled by the Pitlord as recommended but they will eventually kill the Pitlord and, as you can imagine, game over. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? My guess would be to banish one of the Doomlords, would this be a good move? Or just a delay? I haven't had trouble with the Seed of Ultimate Doom going off and killing me yet due to the Purification Potion suggested by many on this forum. But this is getting aggravating. I'm so close. My ilevel is 495 so I figure that I should be able to get this guy down. Not sure what my DPS is in here as my Recount doesn't pick up this fight for some reason, but I've never had any trouble with putting out some good numbers. Any advice would be appreciated. And thanks for such a great site!

Yes, you can banish doomlord once pitlord has aggro, and when he gets aggro on the second you can fear that one, but always dump your threat with your demonic gate often and send your pitlord back on kanrethad. Recount wont pick up your dps on this fight, use Skada which is a similar add on that does.

Yes, you can banish doomlord once pitlord has aggro, and when he gets aggro on the second you can fear that one, but always dump your threat with your demonic gate often and send your pitlord back on kanrethad. Recount wont pick up your dps on this fight, use Skada which is a similar add on that does.

Thanks, I will run it again tonight and probably banish the second Doomlord so they're not putting too much damage on the Pitlord. Hopefully that will be enough to put me over the top. I have every other part of the dance down with the exception of occasionally not getting the Felhunters down fast enough and missing the Cataclysm stun, but that's just dumbness on my part. I put Skada on in place of Recount- thanks for the advice! By the way, do you use RoF on the imp stage at all? I'm thinking that might cause an aggro problem with them. Fire and Brimstone and Immolate and/or Incinerate should be enough (with the Pitlord's Felbreath). I think dropping the RoF and/or making sure to use the Gates should do it- what do you think? One last question- can charging every chaos bolt work to stop them completely while adding to damage time on the boss or is it too close of a call with stunning the cataclysm?

The guide is excellent, however after 2 days I still cant beat him. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of cash or wow gold to anyone who could defeat him for me. I simply do not have the required time, skill and patience to do it myself. If anyone can help pls email me to peteruk01(at)gmail.com. Thank you

You should keep 100% uptime on RoF, it generates embers very quickly. If you have aggro problems with imps, don't be afraid to use SacPact, Teleport behind pillar, and Shadow Fury stun on them. You can even spare Pit Lord to Fel Flame breath on them to get aggro, then put him back on Kan.

Don't bother charge/stunning on chaos bolts cuz it is way too close to cataclysm, just dump aggro by using demonic gate port on cooldown, and line of sight during felhunter phase behind pillars.

You should keep 100% uptime on RoF, it generates embers very quickly. If you have aggro problems with imps, don't be afraid to use SacPact, Teleport behind pillar, and Shadow Fury stun on them. You can even spare Pit Lord to Fel Flame breath on them to get aggro, then put him back on Kan.

Don't bother charge/stunning on chaos bolts cuz it is way too close to cataclysm, just dump aggro by using demonic gate port on cooldown, and line of sight during felhunter phase behind pillars.

Thanks again for the help. I've been working on this guy for a week on and off and have a pretty good rotation going in all phases just usually make one critical mistake before getting him down. I'm consistently getting into the second round of imps, felhunters and doomlords. The troubles that get me are wide ranging : ) from standing in front of the imps burning them down and missing Kan's ROF and/or debuffs, or not getting the third felhunter down in time and missing the charge on cataclysm or having both doomlords killing the pitlord, or taking a missed chaos bolt to the face. I try to LOS all chaos bolts which usually works for me but I'm sure costs me in the dps dept. I can get there usually but screw up before the end one way or another- I'll get him. My one concern is that I am not doing enough damage to Kan which is putting alot of stress on my ability to juggle everything. My ilevel is 495 and I have been doing anywhere from 50-80k dps, I have done over 80k in this fight but that's rare. I'm just stunned and embarassed when I hear someone that's 10 ilevels lower kill him before the 3rd round of imps, wow I must really suck : ) I guess I need to either gear up a little better or use int pots more often. I also haven't mastered the chaining of my chaos bolts on the charge- that would help. Just wanted to thank you again for your advice. Should have him down sometime this week : ) Edited by Ruprict

By the way, I also use Soulshatter as Kan's summoning the felhunters that way I don't have to worry about a chaos bolt while I'm fighting the felhounds. That works really well- have yet to die on that part due to a chaos bolt- other dumb reasons, yes, but not chaos bolts : )

I just find it appropiate to write my thanks to you guys.

I took around 1 and a half hour on the guy yesterday :D and thanks to the tips and such here he quite rapidly went down :D

THANKS ALL!!! green fire!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the help. I've been working on this guy for a week on and off and have a pretty good rotation going in all phases just usually make one critical mistake before getting him down. I'm consistently getting into the second round of imps, felhunters and doomlords. The troubles that get me are wide ranging : ) from standing in front of the imps burning them down and missing Kan's ROF and/or debuffs, or not getting the third felhunter down in time and missing the charge on cataclysm or having both doomlords killing the pitlord, or taking a missed chaos bolt to the face. I try to LOS all chaos bolts which usually works for me but I'm sure costs me in the dps dept. I can get there usually but screw up before the end one way or another- I'll get him. My one concern is that I am not doing enough damage to Kan which is putting alot of stress on my ability to juggle everything. My ilevel is 495 and I have been doing anywhere from 50-80k dps, I have done over 80k in this fight but that's rare. I'm just stunned and embarassed when I hear someone that's 10 ilevels lower kill him before the 3rd round of imps, wow I must really suck : ) I guess I need to either gear up a little better or use int pots more often. I also haven't mastered the chaining of my chaos bolts on the charge- that would help. Just wanted to thank you again for your advice. Should have him down sometime this week : )

Don't feel embarrassed at all dude, there's no shame in learning something new. I struggled ALOT on this fight, and I've played a warlock since AQ was released. While I'm really good at focusing on one thing and excelling, my wife reminds me how BAD I am at multi-tasking, i.e. listening to her ask me "what's for dinner?" while I'm playing.... gg wifey. The potion solution only allows those without the dps to still complete it, but we end up having to repeat almost twice as many phases. It's all about mechanics. The only reason I did this at 486 was because I was personally challenging myself because I'm so bad at anything not requiring tunnel vision. There is nothing wrong with getting a higher ilvl and doing it, I doubt anyone is gonna question the skill of a lock at 522 who does it. At the end of the day this is easily one of the hardest accomplishments in WoW from a solo stand point, so when you get it, be proud.

Again though, there is a video be someone on my server Twisting Nether-US named Necroxis who did it and it shows how he used his demonic gateway to avoid getting any chaos bolts, maybe one I think, but he put them in the middle of the room. So that should alleviate your down time and keep up the dps time. Also, SacPact+Twilight Ward, so you can eat his chaos bolt if needed.

P.S. I keep checking this forum to make sure everyone gets it. So I'm still here to help! GL

Woot! just got it! Only was my 2nd attempt too, and by 2nd attempt i mean 30 something lol. I was ilevel 502 and apparently did hard mode by rolling affliction.

I had a number of 1 & 2% wipes and the kill scared the hell out of me cause my pit lord died with 1.2M left on Kan still. I pretty much blew everything i had in my arsenal that wasnt on CD and killed him as he was casting a final Chaos Bolt cause i wasnt near my portals. My heart is still racing haha.

Word of advice, portal hopping is probably what made it a lot easier. I think i had to deal with 1 chaos bolt the whole encounter. I kept one DL banished as much as i could because the pit lord was taking a lot of damage from them. if i had better gear i probably could have left them up as Kan would have died faster. SB:SoC>Shadowfury>RoF made imps easy mode. I saved an infernal for the end because i knew imps would be crazy by then trying to manage everything else.

It also took me a while to figure out that the felhunters devour magic has an unlimited range, and just how little LOS they need. I tucked the PL in the cubby by the portal, then pulled the pups to the far other side and nuked them down.

Another point of advice is SS tracking. Make sure you have at least 1 SS before the Imp phase for SB:SoC, and 3 before the puppy phase to DS:SS all three pups. I sacced the VW because his bulwark saved my ass a few times. I used unbound will for when i wasnt near the PL (during puppy phase). I also used the purification potion to drop doom on the 2nd doom lord summon to not have to worry about it again. I also dismissed and re-enslaved my PL during both DL summons to be safe. Honestly, the DL summons are the only point of the fight you have a breather and can take care of any issues.

All in all i got very lucky that last attempt...with two DLs and an army of imps on me, i really should not have lived lol. Shadowfury seriously bought me the only few seconds i needed.

Looking back at the time spent and consumables wasted, i am in no way upset. If you did the Dragonwrath questline...i seriously had hatred for that arcane boss...like pissed. This encounter, as difficult as it was, i can easily say i have never loved an encounter i hated so much lol.

Thanks to all the tips here, the macros were priceless.

EDIT: another thing to add, if you find yourself getting frustrated, stop and come back later because all you are doing is hurting yourself. I actually had those 1/2% wipes yesterday and was just getting super frustrated and making dumb mistakes and not even getting close to it again. So i stopped and came back this morning and got it in 3 tries.

Edited by vaeevictiss

I have used this site on many occasions for strategies and guides, so I kinda felt I needed to make an account and share the way I killed this last boss.

My warlock dinged 90 only when 5.2 was a week old already so I had no real experience with her. I was 486 ilvl when I killed him and the only "mandatory" Talents I feel are Soul Leech, Grimoire of Sacrifice, and Shadowfury. For glyphs only Glyph of Enslave Demon feels necessary. Other glyphs are up to personal preference. ( Glyph of Conflagrate, Glyph of Ember Tap and Glyph of Siphon Life can all be usefull in this fight) I was in Destruction because it's the spec I'm most comfortable with.

Preparations

To start of I drank a Flask of the Warm Sun and ate some Swirling Mist Soup. I placed a Demonic Circle: Summon behind a pillar (refreshing it immidiately after interacting with the soulwell), and placing my Demonic Gateway in front of the two spots Kanrethad Ebonlocke stands most often. (Where he casts Cataclysm and where he summons his demons)

I did not pop a potion as I am to poor to afford enough to get me trough all the wipes. Posted Image

I sacced my imp to get rid of debuffs during the fellhunter phases mainly.

Pit Lord

When combat starts pop your Dark Soul: Instability and bash away at him as hard as you can. After about 20 seconds the Pit Lord appears. Use your Shadowfury to stun him and use Enslave Demon on him. I used the following macro:

#showtooltip Enslave Demon

/target Pit Lord

/use Enslave Demon

/targetlasttarget

This allowes you to keep Kanrethad as your target so no iffy target switching.

I did not use macro's for any of his abilities (for some reason I did not even notice he had a heal until I read this forum Posted Image) Instead I used TellMeWhen to show to cooldown of his abilities so I could use Fel Flame Breath on cooldown. I was just making sure I was in front of him when it came of cooldown or every other use of it. This together with the Imp: Singe Magic from my sacrificed Imp removed more then enough DoT's for me to survive the fight.

As soon as the Pit Lord is under your command set him to passive and send him to attack Kan. ( a simple macro with /petattack should suffice)

Use Fel Flame Breath and drop your aggro with a soulshatter/gateway. From now on you use your gateway on cooldown while not in a felhunter phase.

Save Charge for Cataclysm and use Fel Flame Breath on cooldown througout the fight.

Imps

After about a minute Kanrethad will start start to summon a lot of imps. These are not hard to deal with.

Stand behind your tank, I mean your Pit Lord and use Fel Flame Breath when the first few are out. Place a Rain of Fire over them and cast 2 to 3 free Chaos Bolt's on Kanrethad. Your pet's second Fel Breath should kill them all of.

Felhunters

These 3 guys are very likely to be the main reason you die. The fact that they can use Devour Enslavement from far far away and the quite significant amount of health they have make them a pain to deal with and therefore you should be ready to take them out as soon as possible.

You need to have at least 2 Burning Embers!

As soon as Kanrethad starts moving towards the side move your Pit Lord out of Line of Sight. I usually put him on the left side just past the Portal, and take place behind Kanrethad to make sure the Felhunters never come close to your precious Demon.

As soon as the first one comes out place a Rain of Fire on the portal to grab initial aggro. (To me it looked like they went for the target who had the most aggro on Kanrethad, your Pit Lord, but I cannot be entirely sure) Chaos Bolt and kill of the first one, using Shadowburn if you can. Havoc a Chaos Bolt on the other two and halfway of casting order your Pit Lord to come over and Charge them and use Fel Flame Breath on them. They should be dead or at least in execute range so finish them of and get ready for the comming Chaos Bolt. This is the only one you will need to avoid. So use your Demonic Circle: Teleport to LoS it. Refresh your portal in case you need it and run back to interrupt Cataclysm.

If you managed to kill the Felhunters, avoid the Chaos Bolt and interrupt the Cataclysm you made it past the hardest part. Being able to do this reliably means you are on your way to downing this boss.

Important to note is that Enslave Demon has a 5 minute duration. This means you will have to dismiss and re-enslave him once in the fight. This is the best moment to do that. If you forget he will break free at the second fellhunter phase which make it look like the enslave is being dispelled.

Also Curse of the Elements also has a 5 minute duration so while you are at it refresh that one as well.

Doomlord

Compared to the Fellhunters this guy is easy. But if not handled correctly he can kill you in just matter of seconds.

There are multiple ways to deal with him. First of you can cc him. Banish is a good option as it negates it completly as long as you keep it Banished. A good way to keep it banished is by using a macro like this:

#showtooltip Banish

/target [@focus, exists, nodead]

/focus

/use Banish

/targetlasttarget

This will put the Doomlord as your focus, and allowes you to easily see when Banish is going to end. Pressing the macro again will cast banish no that target again without switching target.

Using Fear is another possibility. But if you are considering this I recommend Glyph of Fear.

I feel that the easiest way to deal with him is to never have aggro on this guy. As soon as he spawns send your Pit Lord on him and use a Fel Flame Breath, and drop aggro immediately using either Soulshatter or your Gateway. If you keep using Gateway on cooldown you will never have aggro on this guy ever again. (Unless the second wave of Fellhunters dispel your Pit Lord, but more on this later)

Repeat

After this phase the fight returns to the Imp phase and repeats from there on.

Second Imp phase

This phase is exactly the same as the first one, and should be handled in the exact same way.

Second Fellhunter phase

This phase is once again no different then the first one, but it should be noted that there are more ways stuff can go wrong. First of your Pit Lord has a Doomlord focussing him. If the Pit Lord's Enslave gets dispelled the Doomlord is also going to attack you. All these things can kill you pretty fast (And I'm not even mentioning the Chaos Bolt thats incomming soon as well). Another way to lose your Pit Lord is if you haven't re-enslaved him earlier in the fight. He will break free at this phase even if you LoS him and pull the Fellhunters towards you. If you survive this phase you are well under way to killing the boss.

Second Doomlord phase

This phase is once again no different, and should be handled in the same way again. Remember you can only fear or banish one target at the time so if you want to cc them you should be aware of this. If you drop aggro on your Pit Lord, he might be taking considerable damage at that point so you should keep an eye on his health. Using Health Funnel with Glyph of Health Funnel might be needed in case he drops low.

Third Imp phase

If you come this far the enrage timer will most likely be about to end. Your aim is to be at least in the execute phase, and if so you have a high possibility that he will die. Important at this point is to NOT kill the imps. Use all defensive cooldowns and place a Rain of Fire over them. This should provide you with more Burning Embers then you can spend on spamming Shadowburn. This should kill him pretty fast, provided you do not die by the Curse of Ultimate Doom.

Things to remember

• Refresh your Pit Lord's enslave after the first Fellhunter phase
  • Use your own Doomlord the moment the boss hits 20%
  • Use your Gateway on cooldown, and use Soulshatter when you need it.
  • Never forget you have a Demonic Circle in case you need to LoS Chaos Bolt
  • DO NOT PANIC, things will go wrong while you are progressing. Try to overcome them and learn from them
  • This fight is HARD never let anyone tell you otherwise. Higher gear may make it a little bit easier but you still need to understand and execute the mechanics. If you think you need more time/DPS, Flask up, eat up, prepot and use Purification Powder to lose your Curse of Ultimate Doom
Note: I am writing this from work, there may be macro's which are not 100% correct, and things I might have overlooked. I will take another look when I get home. Edited by Naihmar
  • Like 1

ok so I have to be missing something....I can get through all 3 phases, rinse repeat all 3 phases but at that point somehow kanrethad is still at 40%. I have a gear ratio of 508, i am using 1320 int. flask, every talent, glyph suggested. I am hitting him with 2 choas bolts after charge ranging form 500-800k. also it takes way longer to drop imps than in the video. i hit rain of firex3 fire brimstone immolate fire brimstone conflageratex2 fel flame de aggro rain of fire again fire brimestone conflagerate fel flame again and they finally fall. why in the video are they dropping so fast? I am averaging 70k dps.....i just dont understand what im doing wrong????

ok so I have to be missing something....I can get through all 3 phases, rinse repeat all 3 phases but at that point somehow kanrethad is still at 40%. I have a gear ratio of 508, i am using 1320 int. flask, every talent, glyph suggested. I am hitting him with 2 choas bolts after charge ranging form 500-800k. also it takes way longer to drop imps than in the video. i hit rain of firex3 fire brimstone immolate fire brimstone conflageratex2 fel flame de aggro rain of fire again fire brimestone conflagerate fel flame again and they finally fall. why in the video are they dropping so fast? I am averaging 70k dps.....i just dont understand what im doing wrong????

First: You mention Rain of Fire x3. I hope you realize that overlapping areas of Rain of Fire do not do extra damage. Mobs will only receive damage from inside of one of the Rain of Fire reticles. If you think you're doing triple DPS laying down 3 Rain of Fires, sorry to tell you that's not how it works.

Secondly: I don't hear you mention using the Pit Lord's Fel Breath. This is the major source of damage on the Imps. Fire and Brimstone: Immolate is how you maintain your health through the Imp phase because of the Glyph of Siphon Life. Your Imp rotation should be: Rain of Fire, FnB: Immolate, FnB: Conflag x2, Fel Breath, FnB: Incinerate until dead.

Third: Don't use Fel Flame unless you misrepresented Fel Flame with what you meant in Fel Breath.

Your average DPS should be far higher than 70k with a 508 item level. Make sure that you are pre-potting at the beginning and timing Chaos Bolts with Dark Soul procs and when you interrupt him via Charge. Otherwise, keep Immolate up at all times, Conflagrate on CD, and spam Incinerate.