FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Green Fire: Quest Line + Kanrethad strategy

In 5.3, they've helpfully put an anvil at the bottom of the stairs, where you end up after resurrection. Very nice quality of life improvement for those of us still banging our heads on this one.

Created an account just so I could reply to this thread. Finished the quest today at item level 462 as destruction. Super excited!

I've only been trying for a few days. I don't have a tremendous amount of free time, so I have to sneak attempts in between RL engagements. But between a cumulative 15 hours or so of trying (rounding up purification potions, adjusting tactics and skill bars, etc. included) I took him down.

I needed to dispel his curse once, after managing to keep it off myself until just before the first fel hunter wave. The fight lasted until the fifth imp wave, and I won't lie, the hardest part of the fight (in my opinon) was just managing to stay level headed and calm the whole way through. Reading the forums and strategies was almost demoralizing (you guys score chaos bolts of 6-700k on a stun... mine are only sitting at about 350k atm), but the strategies I read here (and watched on YouTube) helped tremendously.

I should also note, I don't use any addons at the moment, so I had to play a fair amount of the fight with instinct and a healthy supply of guess work. MUCH more difficult than it needed to be, lol.

My only suggestion for other players with low ilvls trying this would be to stay calm. Everything in this fight takes much, much longer at item levels under 500, and when you compare your progress to video guides, it can be mildly panic inducing. "Oh sh*t, my chaos bolt isn't 2-shotting the dogs!" etc. Survival is always #1, and if that means you only got two spells off between the death of the last dog and the start of a doom lord, so be it. At the end of the day, as long as you stay level headed, keep tight control of the pit lord, and ride the portals, you'll get it.

Oh, I lied. One more suggestion: Experiment with your gateway / portal placement. I tried -easily- 20 different arrangements I found in various guides, and they all felt alien and hard to use. A few tweaks found a placement that felt much more natural to me, and as silly as it might sound, that made a tremendous difference for me. Most people seem to only use them for aggro control; for me, they also helped make sure I was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks to all the locks who've come before me and contributed to these guides!!

Created an account just so I could reply to this thread. Finished the quest today at item level 462 as destruction. Super excited!

I've only been trying for a few days. I don't have a tremendous amount of free time, so I have to sneak attempts in between RL engagements. But between a cumulative 15 hours or so of trying (rounding up purification potions, adjusting tactics and skill bars, etc. included) I took him down.

I needed to dispel his curse once, after managing to keep it off myself until just before the first fel hunter wave. The fight lasted until the fifth imp wave, and I won't lie, the hardest part of the fight (in my opinon) was just managing to stay level headed and calm the whole way through. Reading the forums and strategies was almost demoralizing (you guys score chaos bolts of 6-700k on a stun... mine are only sitting at about 350k atm), but the strategies I read here (and watched on YouTube) helped tremendously.

I should also note, I don't use any addons at the moment, so I had to play a fair amount of the fight with instinct and a healthy supply of guess work. MUCH more difficult than it needed to be, lol.

My only suggestion for other players with low ilvls trying this would be to stay calm. Everything in this fight takes much, much longer at item levels under 500, and when you compare your progress to video guides, it can be mildly panic inducing. "Oh sh*t, my chaos bolt isn't 2-shotting the dogs!" etc. Survival is always #1, and if that means you only got two spells off between the death of the last dog and the start of a doom lord, so be it. At the end of the day, as long as you stay level headed, keep tight control of the pit lord, and ride the portals, you'll get it.

Oh, I lied. One more suggestion: Experiment with your gateway / portal placement. I tried -easily- 20 different arrangements I found in various guides, and they all felt alien and hard to use. A few tweaks found a placement that felt much more natural to me, and as silly as it might sound, that made a tremendous difference for me. Most people seem to only use them for aggro control; for me, they also helped make sure I was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks to all the locks who've come before me and contributed to these guides!!

That is quite an achievment .. I'd like to say i could do that, but i'm just not quite sure if i would have the patience. Nice work Posted Image

Enjoy the fel energy as it courses through your pixilated body!

Edited by obleak

Finally, finally, finally. Thanks to all who provided tips here and in Ackthal's thread. It took me a LOT of tries to get this boss; I basically had to learn to play well to beat this; even with my higher iLvl (514) it wasn't an automatic cake-walk. Now that I know how, I want to go back and do it with worse gear just to prove that I can! But that would be crazy. Hee.

Anyway, if anybody else is still struggling with this, do keep practicing; it really does get easier the more often you beat your head against that wall, and learning to do it will improve your warlocking in every other fight as well.

Just finished this today. Ilvl 498. Only did this as destruction. Follow the guides and remain calm. Use the gateway as much as possible. If you are worried about the enrage bring along a potion of purification. Once u get through the 2nd set of fel puppies it is pretty straight forward from there. Use targeting macros and defensive cd macros. Prepot and blow all cds at the start once the pit lord comes out fear him which will give you another 15 seconds to burn. Prior to each doom guard coming out dismiss and re enslave ur pit lord. Macro and keybind the heal. Avoid trying to run from the fel puppies get as much distance as u can by the time they come and cast chaos bolt havoc chaos bolt shadow burn. Pit lord needs to be on passive once u re enslave it u need to put it back to passive. Los it during the puppies. Good luck have fun

Finally downed him at 500 ilvl, and I was honestly surprised at how smoothly it went. I just took Zagam's advice: take it in steps, don't get too excited, and don't go crazy in execute phase. To any that are still trying, just keep plugging away at it, I've been trying off and on for weeks :)

Finally downed him at 500 ilvl, and I was honestly surprised at how smoothly it went. I just took Zagam's advice: take it in steps, don't get too excited, and don't go crazy in execute phase. To any that are still trying, just keep plugging away at it, I've been trying off and on for weeks Posted Image

Grats Elro! Great to see people taking advice and following through because sometimes it helps to follow those much wiser.. (NOT ME) lol

Shine bright with the fel energies my friend!

• Like 1

Gave up on it a while back and now have raid gear at 537il Can this be zerged at all now? Just wondering.

There's a video floating around of him dying before the first Felhunter phase. Not sure of the gear involved.

But best practices would probably to still learn the mechanics anyway. It'll just be a shorter fight for you.

BAM. I gotta admit, this is my 3rd string alt, so it was rough - then I respec'd to Destro and basicly had to relearn everything. 6 weeks of dabbling here and there and watching vid after vid. Last week I did a 8 hour jag and failed at the second hounds every time. Gave it a week rest and came back last night and beat it after @3 hours. Like everyone said - when you beat it, it was almost easy. Nailed every transition, even getting ahead of some of them. 20% ... 15% ... 5% ... 3% ... 1% and it all turns to green. 503 iLvl, Destro (back to demon now). Stick to it.

I've hit a wall on this fight and that wall is a gateway. They never seem to drop any of my aggro for me. I've watched the videos and read the strats for the fight and I've got a pretty good grasp on it all, have my bindings and macros all set up to the point where the fight is second nature, all of this kind of goes to hell when my gates don't lower my aggro and soulshatter is on CD. It may not be easy being green, but it's even harder getting it ;_;

• Like 1

So that's the problem I thought I had, but I really didn't. Do you use your gateway even though it isn't looking like your aggro drops? Cause I found that the fight was about 400% easier when I just kept using it anyway, and all of a sudden I wasn't seeing those killer chaos bolts.

I made a weakauras for the buff that it gives and any time I didn't have that up, I jumped through the gateway again.

Edited by Errinkel

Yeah, I try to use it as soon as CD is over but all it seems to do is have me play hide and go seek with imps.

Your options are to either use the gates or line of sight the Chaos Bolts. Both will work but using the gates to drop aggro is easier. This may be obvious to you, but in case it's not (I didn't pay attention to it initially)- If Kanrethad is facing you with the Pitlord hitting his back then you have aggro if he is facing the Pitlord then you are safe from Chaos Bolts. Obviously, your positioning is important because if you have your Pitlord between you and Kanrethad then he will always be facing you so you won't be able to tell if you have aggro or not (unless you're using a threat meter of somekind). (Hopefully you have Kanrethad between you and the Pitlord so when you use the Pitlord's fel breath to cleanse yourself Kanrethad is taking damage as well.) Sorry if this is wasted on you but it is a really good way to know for sure that your gates are doing their jobs or you're not using them enough. If I forgot to go through the gates and Kanrethad turned to face me then I knew to go through the gates, usually he would immediately turn back to the Pitlord. As far as the Imps go- are you using Fire and Brimstone, Immolate, Conflag, and Incinerate on them? They should go down pretty quickly with just that, but you can finish them off with the Pitlord's fel breath and cleanse yourself. But, just in case you don't want them hitting you- go through the gates as soon as they are all out and again when the gates are off cooldown. Make sure to pay attention to Kanrethad when you're fighting the Imps because he will hit you with a Chaos Bolt when you least expect it. If he's facing away from you then you should be safe and the Pitlord's got aggro. One more slight change with the Imps when you've got Kanrethad at execute phase (under 20%)- don't try to immediately kill all of the Imps because you can continue to generate burning embers on their little asses and spam Shadowburn on Kanrethad. Since you won't have any more Fel Hounds after the second phase you will only get imps- you can burn away. Just keep using the gates when they're off cooldown. Hopefully that helps and was not wasted on you- and sorry for the long post : )
  • Like 1

Like a few others, I made an account just so I could say thank you.

I'm a Destruction specced Warlock with an iLvL of 525. Not using any add-ons (besides DBM and Omen) made this a tough fight, but I got lucky on my 23rd attempt. At first, I didn't even realize I was done because the Doom Lords didn't de-spawn. Luckily, I was able to re-Enslave the Pit Lord and sic him on a Doom Lord while I banished the other, cast SS, and enjoyed the closing scene.

I got my book the very first day the patch went live. Can't even begin to describe how great it feels to have finally downed Kan. Thanks again for the well thought-out guide. I never would have gotten my green fire without it.

Im so frusterated.

Imps come out, and and the pit lord will NOT take aggro, they just walk over and kill me every single time. Dont know what to do at this point, just feels like im wasting gold in repairs.

Im so frusterated.

Imps come out, and and the pit lord will NOT take aggro, they just walk over and kill me every single time. Dont know what to do at this point, just feels like im wasting gold in repairs.

Are you using the gates and the Pitlord's fel breath on them? Use the gates every time they're not on cooldown to drop aggro and the Pitlord's fel breath macro to pull aggro and kill them. Are you also dropping Rain of Fire then Fire and Brimstone plus Immolate, Conflagrate and Incinerate repeatedly? If not, you should - that'll take care of the imps.

The immolate is particularly important, since it will heal you. I also stood in the middle of them when fel flame breathing, that way I got cleared of debuffs at the same time. But my procedure was always lay down RoF, Shadowfuy, F+B Immolate, jump through the gate, have Pitlord FFB them, and then RoF or F+B Immolate/Conflagrate, but usually they died on the fel flame breath.

WoW! I have to say this is the BEST I have seen! the LoS for the pitlord is simply genius!

I have been at this for quite some time and I have to be honest im further than I was getting before but I believe time is aticking! I have heard rumors that they are taking away ember generation from the imps.... not cool man!

My issue is as with everyone else! the puppies!!!! After the imp phase im left with no embers due to F&BS but I realised last night that you didn't mean to burn them down with incinerate, conflag... just immolate and RoF! The problem with this is turning off F&BS! there just seems alot to do and I can't seem to find the add that you have that has your macros in the middle of the screen.

Another note to mention is your macro for the Pitlord! I have seen a few and just assumed they were all the same... Wrong... yours is much better as it saves a click / tab to get back to the snot monster!

I think im getting there as now I have killed 2 of the 3 pups but think I have a long way to go sad.png im sure if I nail the pups ill have this down but im screwing myself with positioning. There should be a timer add on that states when the next phase is going to be.

I love and hate this at the same time! it brings back the old WoW that we all loved and grew with before Blizz felt the need to hand hold kids through stuff they shouldn't be doing.

Well done Blizz and well done on this post... AMAZEBALLS!!

If you could tell me which UI adds you have for those hench buttons that would be cool smile.png

*** Don't worry... got it :P ***

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Osiran

As someone who did this quest with a 483 ilvl (I know people have done it with lower, but the majority I've met are doing it or have done it much higher), I can say there's no part of this fight you can't get through pretty easily the a good plan and the right execution.

A few things that helped me:

When the imps come out, try to not use any defensive CDs. There's 60 of them. With RoF and F&B (plus Shadowfury and pet breath), you should be able to stay alive through the absorbs of Soul Leech and endless Ember Tap from all the ember generation of fighting 60 imps. There's no reason to come out of this with no embers. Make sure you start sniping them with Shadowburn when you're down to a handful of them at low health.

Save Dark Soul, Sac Pact, and Soul Shatter for the puppies. After the Cataclysm after the imps he waits a few seconds before heading to the gate to summon the puppies. When he starts to move is when I would hit Soul Shatter and get behind his gate. Drop RoF on the gate and keep it on the gate while he's summoning the puppies so they come straight to you. You should have four embers at this point, so I put Havoc on the first puppy, and then Chaos Bolted the second, I had to put a Conflag in here but for those at 500+ ilvl you may not need to. The goal is that your second Chaos Bolt on the second puppy kills it and gives you the nice 20% heal from Glyph of Soul Consumption. Refresh Rain of Fire on the puppies with you, and kill the first puppy you put Havoc on with a Chaos Bolt for more heal. Start the third puppy. You should have two embers available for it, so a Chaos Bolt and finish with Shadow Burn (Havoc the boss for it if your CD is up).

A lot of people get stuck with the pit lord breaking at the second puppy wave (I did too, admittedly). The key here is you have to break and re-cast your enslave on the pit lord sometime before then, because the 5 minutes on enslave is perfectly timed for when they puppies come out. I found the best time to do this was after killing the first wave of puppies before the Doom Guard game out. Give time for the pit lord to get agro back on Kanrethad before he has to pick up the Doom Guard. I did the same thing again after the second puppies, because I knew I needed the extra time due to lower ilvl/DPS. The macro I used was similar but it was a one button that I used for the whole thing.

#showtooltip Enslave Demon 

/script PetDismiss()

/tar Pit Lord

/cast Enslave Demon

/targetlasttarget

It'll sound redundant to everyone else's comments on the subject, but if you're getting agro it means you aren't keeping perfect uptime on your gate debuff. I found it easiest to glyph it so I didn't have to worry about clicking on the right thing.

The number one thing is taking your time. You have about 14-15 minutes to kill him, and once you get past the second fel puppies, you just have to re-enslave and have him get the boss and Doom Guard back up. Once you get there, it's nothing but imps, which means lots of healing potential for you and lots more embers to keep burning the boss with. This is my favorite type of PvE fight, the type where it's so much more important that you simply do the fight correctly than putting out big numbers.

Edit: It took me probably about 30-35 attempts (I forgot the exact number, might have been 33). I found it best to do a few at a time and take breaks in between. Don't do 10 in a row, but don't do 3 and then go back tomorrow. Do 3 and take a 10 minute break. Do 3 more and take another 10 minute break. You'll tire less but still have your last mistakes in your mind.

Edited by Kazistrasza
  • Like 1

oh my. this is epic an fight. I have downed the boss after approx 2 hrs of wiping (approx 40 wipes). everything is about execution and not forgeting about your cd's :) i had huge problem with chaos bolt (killed me during dog phase). extensive use of gateway and soulshatter fixed tha. just stay focused and dont get frustrated.last time i was this happy...TBC and Kael kill pre nerf :)

my ilvl is 489

good luck to anyone who is trying to get this

Is this fight going to be possible once patch 5.4 comes out on tuesday? I am only 484 ilvl and can't seem to do this fight as of yet. With the changes to the gateways and only being able to use them once per minuit instead of once ever 15 seconds how will we drop aggro?

Also I am having HUGE aggro problems as is, I sick my pit lord on him as soon as I enslave him and then use the portal and shatter and STILL have aggro from the boss after using both, how is this even possible? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I didn't even use the portal for my kill. In 5.4, gaining item levels is going to be easier than ever. Between the gateway and Soulshatter you shouldn't have issues with threat, just make sure you allow your pit lord to smack away at Kanny for a bit before you use them. In times where you *do* have aggro, make good use of LoS by using your teleporter (which you should have placed behind a wall. If you don't have an answer to one of his Chaos Bolts with defensives, then LoS is your best and easiest option.

I have tried everything under the sun and can not drop aggro on this guy, as soon as I start attacking him in any way shape or form he instantly aggros to me, I have to use a protal twice before the aggro will drop again. Then when the imps come out forget it, they ALL aggro to me even after hitting them with the fel breath 2-3 times, they WILL NOT drop aggro on me and kill me after the 2nd or 3rd hit of all their bolts. During this time I am not attacking them at all not even with ROF so there should be no reason they should be attacking me at all. I don't know why I am drawing so much aggro from EVERYTHING! I am not even high ilvl or doing much dmg to the boss, I get him down to about 90% by the time the imps come out because I spend the entire time trying to drop aggro from him. Why won't my pit lord keep aggro off me? I also have all the macro's you have given me in this guide. Is anyone else having this problem or is just me? if it is just me then I will have to put in a ticket cause this has to be a glitch if no one else is having INSANE aggro issues.

• Like 1