Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casper5632

Strength importance for blood DKs

23 posts in this topic

I have been looking around and it seems everyone has come to the conclusion that Strength is the most important stat for Blood DKS. I can't understand the logic behind this and I cant find any details that support this idea. My main 3 heals in recount are Death Strike, Bone Shield, and Blood Shield, all of which are unaffected by Strength. Can someone explain this stat priority to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casper5632 said:

I have been looking around and it seems everyone has come to the conclusion that Strength is the most important stat for Blood DKS. I can't understand the logic behind this and I cant find any details that support this idea. My main 3 heals in recount are Death Strike, Bone Shield, and Blood Shield, all of which are unaffected by Strength. Can someone explain this stat priority to me?

Strength has a direct impact on your ability to parry. When you parry a physical attack does no damage at all. So, let's think of when you are tanking trash or a boss. 90% of the time what are they doing? They just sit there and smack you. So, for big abilities typically those with names we have active mitigation, we death strike before hand to ignore the bad effect. For just being smacked around we have our defensive cooldowns and our parry. Blood Dk's however, literally only have parry, so we end up taking quite a few abilities to the face. However, parry is your first line of defense if you will so you want that to be as strong as possible. When parry fails you take damage and with only 2 real cooldowns, that can be bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

Strength has a direct impact on your ability to parry. When you parry a physical attack does no damage at all. So, let's think of when you are tanking trash or a boss. 90% of the time what are they doing? They just sit there and smack you. So, for big abilities typically those with names we have active mitigation, we death strike before hand to ignore the bad effect. For just being smacked around we have our defensive cooldowns and our parry. Blood Dk's however, literally only have parry, so we end up taking quite a few abilities to the face. However, parry is your first line of defense if you will so you want that to be as strong as possible. When parry fails you take damage and with only 2 real cooldowns, that can be bad. 

But its not anywhere near a 1 to 1 ratio. I have 2 Str trinkets and my parry is nowhere near impressive sitting at 20%. And if it was just regarding the improved parry chance wouldent Crit be listed higher on most guides as well? Crit is usually in the bottom tier when it comes to blood stat priorities even though it still gives around 70% of itself into parry chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casper5632 said:

But its not anywhere near a 1 to 1 ratio. I have 2 Str trinkets and my parry is nowhere near impressive sitting at 20%. And if it was just regarding the improved parry chance wouldent Crit be listed higher on most guides as well? Crit is usually in the bottom tier when it comes to blood stat priorities even though it still gives around 70% of itself into parry chance.

Sorry for delay in reply, Rise of Iron got me ( I beat it). Strength also determines the amount of damage your abilities do as well as healing from death strike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so I felt compelled to answer further. The way stats work in that is odd but it comes down to those you are trying to actively get more of and those you are more or less going to ignore. Strength, agility, and intellect, basically (basic) fall into this category. A specific spec will only be able to use gear with one of those three. So a dk can't use agility gear or intellect gear, it does nothing for them. The most basic stat that is the background behind the class is strength. Sort of like ilvl, in general the higher ilvl the better it is for you. Now gearing a blood dk, you won't be actively seeking strength, its a default stat, all your gear should have it, and you should have a lot, you won't be gemming or enchanting for strength. You are after haste/mastery or if doing a raw damage build (not recommended) you go for raw crit.

So, we have primary stats that in general are just upgraded passively. So, if you have a ilvl 45 weapon and an ilvl 100, the 100 will be better and likely have more strength and weapon attack. Only very rarely do we find a trinket that just raw grants a lot of primary stat like strength or agility. In dps cases these are the most favored, in tank cases.......... it depends on a lot of factors. 

So, while strength is the backbone stat of dk period, as long as your ilvl gear is higher it should have more strength in it. You don't chase that stat in ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 3:31 AM, demonardvark said:

 I beat it

13320276_1091086570949552_659219195_n.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blainie said:

13320276_1091086570949552_659219195_n.jp

it's a good feel

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2016 at 10:28 AM, demonardvark said:

it's a good feel

Almost as good as going fishing as a DK. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strength has synergy with Rune of the Fallen Crusader.  With around 70% uptime, it will probably represent upwards of 1/8th of self healing done.

 

Edit: This is wrong, its a chance proc of 6% max health and is not tied to DPS.

Edited by Sniz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2016 at 5:00 PM, Sniz said:

Strength has synergy with Rune of the Fallen Crusader.  With around 70% uptime, it will probably represent upwards of 1/8th of self healing done.

Is it really worth getting fallen crusader?

more armor / stam way beats fallen crusader imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Desruc said:

Is it really worth getting fallen crusader?

more armor / stam way beats fallen crusader imo

IMO

5% Str

5% stam

5% armor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fallen crusader does proc a good bit and a free 6% self heal is always good. More strength is useful too. 

 

A flat 5% more stats and armor is nice but its a bit boring. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Desruc said:

Is it really worth getting fallen crusader?

more armor / stam way beats fallen crusader imo

Last time I checked logs for a boss about the debate was over.

I combined the DS heal, Blood Shield bonus per DS (from the 5% stamina) and the expected mitigation of 5% armor (which isnt that much) vs the healing of fallen crusader and Fallen's heal doubled SSG.

Its the uptime.  6% of all damage done through 70% of a fight adds up.

(5 min boss (300secs) * 120kDPS * .06 (the FC heal) * .7 (the uptime) = 1.5million in heals.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sniz said:

Last time I checked logs for a boss about the debate was over.

I combined the DS heal, Blood Shield bonus per DS (from the 5% stamina) and the expected mitigation of 5% armor (which isnt that much) vs the healing of fallen crusader and Fallen's heal doubled SSG.

Its the uptime.  6% of all damage done through 70% of a fight adds up.

(5 min boss (300secs) * 120kDPS * .06 (the FC heal) * .7 (the uptime) = 1.5million in heals.)

I honestly love people who can do the math without sim aid, makes me happy

and yes fallen crusader is better. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sniz said:

(5 min boss (300secs) * 120kDPS * .06 (the FC heal) * .7 (the uptime) = 1.5million in heals.)

hmm this math seems abit of as it is per proc it heals 6% and not per sec its up.

shouldnt the math be more like:
5 min boss (300s)*0.7(the uptime) = this will give the amount of time the buff is up = buffUpTime.
BuffUpTime/15s (buff duration) = amount of procs = procs.

now the hard part its 6% healing now is that 6% of missing healt, max health or dmg taken at some point (im just going to assume its max health because its easier).

i think avarage max health of a dk is about 3.5m health

3.500.000 * 0.06 * procs.

now my math might be abit rusty but if i add it all up:

3.500.000*0,06*300*0,7/15 = 2.9m which seems very high so im pretty sure the 6% is of missing health, reducing it drasticaly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Desruc said:

hmm this math seems abit of as it is per proc it heals 6% and not per sec its up.

shouldnt the math be more like:
5 min boss (300s)*0.7(the uptime) = this will give the amount of time the buff is up = buffUpTime.
BuffUpTime/15s (buff duration) = amount of procs = procs.

now the hard part its 6% healing now is that 6% of missing healt, max health or dmg taken at some point (im just going to assume its max health because its easier).

i think avarage max health of a dk is about 3.5m health

3.500.000 * 0.06 * procs.

now my math might be abit rusty but if i add it all up:

3.500.000*0,06*300*0,7/15 = 2.9m which seems very high so im pretty sure the 6% is of missing health, reducing it drasticaly.

You know what, you're right.  I apologize. Its NOT based on damage done. Man I feel stupid...

I woke up and saw a reply and I started banging out numbers before I had coffee...lol.

So in order to rectify my mistake, I went and double checked my last Nythendra.  

Unholy Strength Proc'd 20 times in 5:11.

EHPS: 2.64m

RawHPS: 4.56m

4.56m / 20(procs) = 228k (raw heal per) / .06 (%) = 3.8m which is pretty much the hp of a buffed and bone shielded DK.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, demonardvark said:

I honestly love people who can do the math without sim aid, makes me happy

and yes fallen crusader is better. 

Thanks. I bet you don't like it when those same people misinterpret the ability!!

 

Please see my post above.  What do you call it when you remember the ultimate point but forget the method?

 

Mad apologys to everyone for reading that nonsense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sniz said:

You know what, you're right.  I apologize. Its NOT based on damage done. Man I feel stupid...

I woke up and saw a reply and I started banging out numbers before I had coffee...lol.

So in order to rectify my mistake, I went and double checked my last Nythendra.  

Unholy Strength Proc'd 20 times in 5:11.

EHPS: 2.64m

RawHPS: 4.56m

4.56m / 20(procs) = 228k (raw heal per) / .06 (%) = 3.8m which is pretty much the hp of a buffed and bone shielded DK.

This seems more like it. i have a few questions tho.
What is EHPS and RawHPS?

im gueesing these are the actual numbers it healed through the fight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Desruc said:

This seems more like it. i have a few questions tho.
What is EHPS and RawHPS?

im gueesing these are the actual numbers it healed through the fight?

 

Pretty much.

Effective Healing Per Second doesn't include overhealing.

RawHPS does.  Basically what you "could have" healed for if your health was always less than 100%.

I think Raw is better for judging sheer healing potential when deciding about stats and EHPS is more suited to judge rotation/timing.  Obviously in a fight you want to avoid overheal but it will always happen when you're sitting on runic power and full health. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sniz said:

4.56m / 20(procs) = 228k (raw heal per) / .06 (%) = 3.8m which is pretty much the hp of a buffed and bone shielded DK.

i think im just having a hard time figuring out what we are calculating xD

the 228k is health per proc.
then you divide it to figure out how much that is 6% of and if its 3.8 that means it healt 6% of our max hp everytime it procs.?

then my calculations should be quite accurate.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Desruc said:

i think im just having a hard time figuring out what we are calculating xD

the 228k is health per proc.
then you divide it to figure out how much that is 6% of and if its 3.8 that means it healt 6% of our max hp everytime it procs.?

then my calculations should be quite accurate.

Yeah. 228k is 1/16th or 6% of 3.8mil.  just confirming that FC heals for 6% of your health pool and not 6% of damage taken or missing health.

 

SSG isnt "terrible" though, its good! The 5% to stamina is about 190k more hp (19k bigger DS heals) not to mention the added mitigation of the armor bonus.  Plus it synergizes with DS giving you more control and the comfort of a bigger hp pool.  The more you DS the better SSG is.  Whereas FC just procs whenever.

Depends on how you weigh the x factors of hp pool/controlability/ and the fact that its "always there" whereas FC is a random 6% health infusion...i mean, im actually thinking about trying SSG!

 

In that Nythandra fight i cast DS 39 times (perhaps underutilized, but thats because I was concerned about ripping threat from a Guardian druid.)  In any event, that could have been 741k  in SSG heals exactly when i decided to press the button.

 

but as far as raw numbers at the end of the day, FC wins. 

(Edit: i forgot to mention that FC is independent of the need for runic power, which is important as well. It heals even when you can't.)

 

 

Edited by Sniz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sniz said:

In that Nythandra fight i cast DS 39 times (perhaps underutilized, but thats because I was concerned about ripping threat from a Guardian druid.)  In any event, that could have been 741k  in SSG heals exactly when i decided to press the button.

mind you thats assuming your DS only heals for 10% of your max hp.. DS has the potential to heal much much more. :P

I quite like SSG, mind you i have never tried fallen crusader so i dont know what im actually missing out on xD

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Desruc said:

mind you thats assuming your DS only heals for 10% of your max hp.. DS has the potential to heal much much more. :P

I quite like SSG, mind you i have never tried fallen crusader so i dont know what im actually missing out on xD

Thats true.

i guess its the difference between stacking in more stam for DS control(which intrigues me) and having a dedicated pocket healer that randomly heals you for 216k (with 3.6mil hp) roughly one every 15 seconds whether you need it or not.

 

Looking at it from SSG's side.

If you have 3.6m hp w/SSG you'd have 3.42m w/o it.  Thats a DS difference of about 17k minimum heal (about 34k maximum) adding your mastery % as an additional bubble.

To make up for 205k FC heal (3.42m hp w/o SSG) every 15 seconds, you'd have to DS quite a bit.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Drchance
      Here's a link to my character:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Drchancimus/simple
       
      With max boneshield stacks i'm at:
      13% crit
      37% haste
      38% mastery
      6% versatility
      3% dodge
      18% parry
       
      Maybe i'm just terrible at googleing, but i can't figure out when i should stop trying to stack haste, sadly i have way too much mastery; i'd like to have less; just trying to see if anyone has worked the numbers out.
    • By Karmageddon
      Hey all. Last week I was asked to tank my guild's HC progression on Ursoc and Renferal right as I logged in. I felt I did decent for not tanking on a DK in a couple of years. I made talent and some minor affordable enchant/gem changes on the fly. However, tonight, I dropped the ball immensely. Not everything was my fault, dropped green stuffs and squished bugs on the bridge, etc.
       
      The main change that I did tonight was after pulling the boss I would open with DRW to pop up my BS and such to be less spiky at the pull. And I think that's where I went wrong. I do realize that I was late on a couple of Def CDs. The biggest thing that's bothering is that I feel my BS was just burned through pretty damn quick and I found myself Rune and RP starved, a lot as compared to last week.
       
      The following are the last weeks kill and this week's pull/wipes. If you don't mind, critique my performance so I'm better able to fix/figure out my pull and not feel like I was bumbling mess tonight as compared to last week.
       
      Armory:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Karmadecay/simple
       
      Nov 2, 2016:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JvXbZV9T2BHkFN7x#type=auras&source=15&fight=14
       
      Nov 9, 2016:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/86fpaNBFtQACjbVL/#type=auras&source=2
       
      Thanks
      ~KaRmA
       
       
    • By Deyaru
      Greetings fellow Death Knights,
      I came upon some Questions while improving my knowledge about Blood Shield with the skeletal shattering golden trait.
      Since I first believed Bone Shield would be consumed without an internal cd but got corrected by the guide " All damage sources consume  Bone Shield stacks, although there is an internal cooldown of 2 seconds for Bone Shield charges being consumed. " I am now curious about how the itigation of attacks is taking place.
      The attack triggering Bone Shield is not the issue, rather i'm interested in the following hits. I sincerely hope every hit within the internal cooldown will be reduced as well.
       Now the question is in what intensity: Considering skeletal shattering's chance to reduce the dmg taken by 8 more percent is this chance calculated for every hit or dictated by the bone shield triggering one?
       
      I'm sorry should this already been answered, I thank you in advance for helping understand my choosen class better.
      Suffer well
    • By Gnarkill
      Normally I don't participate in the "QQ my class is in a bad spot" but after finishing VoH mythic+8 necrotic/raging I'm considering rolling a warrior tank and not looking back. At the very least it means next time I roll necrotic on my mythic keystones I will just sit out that week. Necrotic absolutely breaks blood tanks. The affix completely negates the vast majority of our toolkit, leaving us to take unmitigated, unhealable hits to the face the majority of the time. The only real way I found to deal with it is to hope it tics down to 5s remaining and you can AMS it off, but good luck since it immediately stacks up to 15+, and it just won't work on a boss that doesn't stop for a long time to cast or reposition. 
      A single mythic+ affix should not flat out negate a tank for a week of play. 
    • By Shells
      Hi
       
      Our guild had our first go on EN last night and downed 3 bosses and got in some solid work on the 4th.  If anyone has the time and inclination, would you mind having a look at our logs for my performance only, as Shells our Blood DK. 
       
      I had a poke around myself and a few things stick out for me.  I seemed to be low enough on self heals. I reckon I was overcapping on Bone Shield and rune starving myself for HS to build up RP for DS.  (By overcapping I mean I was well over the 5-6 min level  needed and could have been wasting charges)
      Armory
      http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/argent_dawn/shells
       
      Logs
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RT4WHcK6N29dpyJz/
       
      Thanks in advance.