Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deadstopp

Help with Unholy DK

5 posts in this topic

My girlfriend is new to WoW (joined at the start of Legion) and absolutely loves the death knight class and the way it plays. 

We have followed the DK guides on IV for the castigator spec (specifically the secondary stat choices). She has also learnt the rotation and executes it properly. 

She is however having slight issues with her DPS at her current ilvl (armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Guzniffer/simple) relative to a new DK that joined us in last nights raid (armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Moontrapper/simple).

Can someone give us some help regarding what we are doing right/wrong and where we can improve?

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dKwFjYTtD69pQ4kr/#type=damage-done&fight=2

Hi there Deadstopp

One really obvious thing, she appears to be stacking Mastery , its at 50% on her armory while she should be stacking crit. Her crit is low at 27.6% and should be over 33% for an optimal playstyle. This is likely down to available gear rather than gemming of course but it can be improved with some lucky drops.

Taken from IV guide

1.2. Castigator

Strength;
Critical Strike;
Haste (until 18-19%);
Mastery;
Versatility.

Her trinkets are not amazing either, might be better with plain old Str/Crit ones from WQ's and hope for  Titan Forge to increase the stats.

One of the lads will do an in depth logs review for you soon I am sure.

@Shells Yep xD.

As mention by Shells low crit, high mastery. I'm assume this is most likely not by choice so I'll leave that at that. And ofcourse as shells also mention a better trinket would be ideal. She can acquire trinkets pretty easily anything 840 strength+crit as stat sticks would out perform her current trinket. Other trinkets to look out for that would out perform her's at 840 would be memento of the angryboda from Maw, Chaos Talisman from Assault on violet hold, Ursocs paw at 850 or above would out perform the Ravaged pod, the Egg shell from dragon boss in DHT, and the trinket off the last boss in Kara.

Simple fix in talents needs to use All will serve on pure single target fights such as ursoc, trust it's better. I would suggest maybe checking out the dps guide in the forums for optimal talents and when to use what.

Just looking at ursoc heroic kill. She has some delayed Apocalypse casts, as well as soul reaper casts. He could have fit in 1 extra Apoc if used directly off CD, while ofcourse you wanna make sure you have 8 wounds on the target some pre-planning to it coming off CD can allow you to use it pretty quickly. Same goes for soul reaper, one of her soul reaper was delayed approx 40 seconds which is pretty long to delay it being it's a 45 second cooldown. You can Fit 1 Soulreaper in between casts of Apoc, being soul reaper is 45 and apoc is 90. One of her soul reapers she has missed one of the 3 stacks of the haste buff only getting 2 out of 3. She also spent a good bit runic capped around 70ish seconds out of the 3 min and 20 second fight, rather large dps decrease. Also she should be using Prolonged power it's both cheaper than Oldwar and out performs oldwar. She also didn't use her trinket off CD (ravaged seed pod) though i wouldn't worry about that to much it's something that she can most likely easily replace and won't really be something to worry about in the future.

Other than that she is performing pretty optimally nothing outstanding else I can see. If you can find some better trinkets and fix the issues with using CD/runic capping she'll be performing probably within 90% optimally.

TLDR Needs to work on using CDs off CD, and not being runic capped.

Edited by Drtain

Thanks so much guys.

Yeah the gear thing is pretty much down to what is available and trying to keep to the stat prio as much as possible.

Will take a look at the trinkets etc and try and implement as much of the advice as we can!

Thanks again for the assistance!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bwaargh
      So, i'm lvl 866 crit - castigator - soul reaper. Crit 27%, haste 18%, mastery 29%.  Draugr, Girdle of the Everlasting King and Sephuz's Secret. I simc at 305k dps single target. When i switch to CS - necrosis - dark arbiter, i simc at 298k dps. But my gear is crit-heavy low-mastery and i've no Deadliest coil traits yet, so i wonder if mastery build is really better now. But icy and noxxic still suggest crit-build. Does anyone have the possibility and gear to simc two of this builds with the same ilvl gear. Please share.
    • By Gendibal
      Hello, I'm sure I'm no the one who noticed that we unholy dks can proc sephuz secret on dungeon and raid bosses using the pet stun (if you haven't you can try using pet stun even without the successful stun the ring procs).
      Last patch this was a something I lol'd cuz many classes said sephuz secret was useless for them. And with the legendary updates this ring got a plus% of haste, so it is better than before (with this update I still don't know if now every class can activate the effect).
      Problem is I have 3 legendaries, Sephu'z, Prydaz and the uh dk Belt (Draugr, Girdle of the Everlasting king). I will obviously keep the belt but I'm not sure if with the update Prydaz (with 3 stats now) is better than Sephu'z (activating 25% haste every pet stun (90 sec)).
      I'd like to know your ideas or if anyone had run some numbers please share, and if you are unholy with sephuz and you did'nt know you can activate the proc, try it now!
      Thanks for your answers.
    • By orazzledazzle
      Hey all. I was wondering what out of the legendaries I have would be best to use together? I got Tak'theritrix's Shoulderpads, Prydaz, Acherus Drape and Uvanimor the Beautiful. I've been using the shoulders and the ring, but I've read that the ring is either broken or has a tool tip error so I'm not sure if that is even worth using or not. I have an 860 crit/haste ring I can equip if that one is not worth using atm and I got gear for any slot if I need to change legionaries. That brings me to my next question for the patch coming up on which legionaries you would suggest upgrading first? The shoulders sound strong just because the gouls are already getting buffed but I have no idea so any help would be awesome.

My last question is with the shoulderpad legendary when I use it I saw that there is a 10 second window to pop Dark Transformation to get the full benefit with the Army and the gargoyle. But I was wondering if when I pop Apocalypse do I need to wait for the gouls to be up and summoned before I hit dark Transormation or should I hit Dark Trans right as soon as I pop the wounds with apocalypse? Normally I've been waiting to see that the gouls are above ground before popping Dark Transformation. Thank you.

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/valicia/simple
    • By Oro
      So, I am maining a Blood DK. I recently started playing some Unholy (Love the Lore and class Art ;) ). My dilemma is that I'm not that good, so in an attempt to truly understand the class I tried my hand at creating a DPS prio WeakAura.

The WeakAura does:
      Not track CDs
      Not track Talents
      Shows (what I understands is the) single-target rotation

Now I am looking for feedback on it. So if anyone wants, have the time and so on, pleas leave a comment if I got something wrong.

• By Jirall
      Hello,
      I'm having trouble pulling enough dps to even consider any serious progress right now. I could really use some help figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I know that my trinkets and my artifact relics are rather bad, but are there anything else I could do to push out more damage?
      I use these talents on a single target fight: AWS/PP/Cast/Sludge Belcher/IC/SR
      I currently have runic power generation and death coil damage increase artifact relics. Would it be worth it to replace them with around 5-10 ilvl lower relics with better traits?
      Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/alonsus/Malvera/simple
      Logs:
      Guarm (I'm aware of pots): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/BfAgcrCRDVzL1PbY#fight=8&type=damage-done
      Odyn (Pre-nerf): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/aY9cqpn7DLBvZJjM#fight=1&type=damage-done
      Really struggling with Odyn HC for heavy movement. I can usually pull around 250-260k but didn't find logs about those - hopefully this one will reveal something useful anyway.

Really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!