FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deadstopp

Help with Unholy DK

My girlfriend is new to WoW (joined at the start of Legion) and absolutely loves the death knight class and the way it plays. 

We have followed the DK guides on IV for the castigator spec (specifically the secondary stat choices). She has also learnt the rotation and executes it properly. 

She is however having slight issues with her DPS at her current ilvl (armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Guzniffer/simple) relative to a new DK that joined us in last nights raid (armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Moontrapper/simple).

Can someone give us some help regarding what we are doing right/wrong and where we can improve?

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dKwFjYTtD69pQ4kr/#type=damage-done&fight=2

Hi there Deadstopp

One really obvious thing, she appears to be stacking Mastery , its at 50% on her armory while she should be stacking crit. Her crit is low at 27.6% and should be over 33% for an optimal playstyle. This is likely down to available gear rather than gemming of course but it can be improved with some lucky drops.

Taken from IV guide

1.2. Castigator

Strength;
Critical Strike;
Haste (until 18-19%);
Mastery;
Versatility.

Her trinkets are not amazing either, might be better with plain old Str/Crit ones from WQ's and hope for  Titan Forge to increase the stats.

One of the lads will do an in depth logs review for you soon I am sure.

@Shells Yep xD.

As mention by Shells low crit, high mastery. I'm assume this is most likely not by choice so I'll leave that at that. And ofcourse as shells also mention a better trinket would be ideal. She can acquire trinkets pretty easily anything 840 strength+crit as stat sticks would out perform her current trinket. Other trinkets to look out for that would out perform her's at 840 would be memento of the angryboda from Maw, Chaos Talisman from Assault on violet hold, Ursocs paw at 850 or above would out perform the Ravaged pod, the Egg shell from dragon boss in DHT, and the trinket off the last boss in Kara.

Simple fix in talents needs to use All will serve on pure single target fights such as ursoc, trust it's better. I would suggest maybe checking out the dps guide in the forums for optimal talents and when to use what.

Just looking at ursoc heroic kill. She has some delayed Apocalypse casts, as well as soul reaper casts. He could have fit in 1 extra Apoc if used directly off CD, while ofcourse you wanna make sure you have 8 wounds on the target some pre-planning to it coming off CD can allow you to use it pretty quickly. Same goes for soul reaper, one of her soul reaper was delayed approx 40 seconds which is pretty long to delay it being it's a 45 second cooldown. You can Fit 1 Soulreaper in between casts of Apoc, being soul reaper is 45 and apoc is 90. One of her soul reapers she has missed one of the 3 stacks of the haste buff only getting 2 out of 3. She also spent a good bit runic capped around 70ish seconds out of the 3 min and 20 second fight, rather large dps decrease. Also she should be using Prolonged power it's both cheaper than Oldwar and out performs oldwar. She also didn't use her trinket off CD (ravaged seed pod) though i wouldn't worry about that to much it's something that she can most likely easily replace and won't really be something to worry about in the future.

Other than that she is performing pretty optimally nothing outstanding else I can see. If you can find some better trinkets and fix the issues with using CD/runic capping she'll be performing probably within 90% optimally.

TLDR Needs to work on using CDs off CD, and not being runic capped.

Edited by Drtain

Thanks so much guys.

Yeah the gear thing is pretty much down to what is available and trying to keep to the stat prio as much as possible.

Will take a look at the trinkets etc and try and implement as much of the advice as we can!

Thanks again for the assistance!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Casdon
      [US] Stormreaver — Skunkworks
      Tuesdays & Thursdays: 7:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. (pst) || 9-1 (cst) || 10-2 (est)

Progression
      10/11M Antorus
      9/9M ToS
      10/10M Nighthold
      3/3M Trial of Valor
      7/7M Emerald Nightmare

Website
      skunkworksguild.com

About Us
      Skunkworks is a guild for players who can not or do not want to commit to the time-intensive raid schedules of traditional "hardcore" guilds.
      However, we still maintain a high caliber player environment and make an efficient use of our raiding time.
      We raid Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:00 - 11:00 PST, just 8 hours a week and never more.

We are very protective of our guild environment and selective in recruitment. We are looking for solid players mechanically as well as intellectually.
      We all get paid to deal with idiots, why should we pay to spend our leisure time with them as well?

Skunkworks has been around for multiple expansions and has historically always been at the top of the 2-night raiding guild scene.

Past Raiding Achievements

#US 199 Mythic KJ #US 186 Mythic Archimonde #131 US Heroic Garrosh #68 US Heroic Ra-den #77 US Heroic Lei Shen #86 US Heroic Sha of Fear #106 US Heroic Madness of Deathwing #99 US Heroic Ragnaros #147 US Sinestra #91 US Heroic The Twilight Destroyer (Halion) #71 US Heroic Fall of the Lich King #247 US Tribute to Insanity #160 US Alone in the Darkness Current Guild Needs
      Amazing Range DPS ---Exceptional Candidates always considered regardless of recruiting needs.

How to Apply
      Apply with Google Forms
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL-LW1-7rRK28Z3Nswg4xD3-jjQWrIsCh77rYOdxKwY0oPPQ/viewform.
      All applications are kept private.
      Please include at least the following.
          Prominent links to relevant armory pages ]A guild history with reasons for departure
          The reason(s) you have chosen to apply to this guild
          Warcraft Logs
          UI screenshots or fraps/Stream footage

Contact Information
      Shadaka (GM)
      Real ID:Shadak#1881

Aerivore (Recruitment Officers)
      Real ID:  Aerivore#1581

Sovm
      Real ID: Sov#1192
    • By Valkas
      Hello all! I figured i'd make this thread to get some up to date information on the AOE rotation for unholy.  Currently i'm 935 ilvl, and I run Incstructor's fourth lesson and Soul. (For lack of a better option.) However it is my understanding that these two legendaries make for the strongest aoe rotation. Is this true?

That is my first question. My second is what is the priority for aoe when running these two. Is it to wait for defile to drop, then festering wound a target a couple times, then Scourge Strike? Or is the priority to just put Wounds on then pop them asap, dropping the defile whenever it's available. Typically I wait for defile before I start building Wounds, but given the soul and the extra talent, i suspect it's better to just aoe without Defile if it's unavailable or perhaps just better to rarely spend runes on defile? Curious as to your thoughts!
    • By Avendil
      Hey,
      I have just managed to get my hands on the legendary shoulders, wich I use with the legendary helmet and t21 set. I also have a 965 horn of valors.
      I have a hard time accomodating to the new rotation and my logs show low and very disparate ilvl% results (from 15 to 70 %)
      Logs from last raid session :
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/a3fPK8YVA2GLQnw6/
      My engage is Army, Desease --> 2 strikes to get to 6-8 stacks --> apocalypse --> horn of valor --> Dark arbiter --> Dark transformation, then spam death coil.

I don't know how I am supposed to best maximise the use of Dark transformation and Apocalypse in the 2 minutes time frame given by Dark Arbiter's cooldown. The idea is obvioulsy to have transformation up for each DA proc, but should I delay DA to use one more dark transformation ? Should I hold on transformation and use it with Apocalypse ?
      Any advice would be deeply appreciated. I was starting to feel right with Unholy recently and the shoulderpads threw my balance off ^^

• By Laggasaurus
      Something's been bugging me recently - why is mastery more valuable to an Unholy DK than versatility?  It seems to me that versatility should be superior because it increases ALL damage (shadow & physical) while mastery only increases shadow damage.  Does 1% of mastery scale differently than 1% of versatility in some way?  I assume I am misunderstanding something here about how versatility works. 
    • By Valkas
      I played at the launch of legion for a good month or two, but i've recently come back. I picked up unholy and I really like it but I like to have some alts so i'm looking for another option.

Now, to clarify my question. What I mean when I ask for complexity is perhaps not everyones definition. When I play my UDK, I understand the basics. Put on wounds, pop wounds=Damage. Obviously it's a lot deeper than that in terms of our kit but thats the general gist. When I play UDK, I feel as if I play it more i'll get better. There's some RNG, and lots of varying situations as to what button I need to press next to squeeze out the most dps.

That's the kind of thing I crave. And i'm curious what other classes have this type of playstyle in the same or varying degrees. I know for a fact feral is in this camp, and if i'd guess i'd say it's the most complex class in legion at the moment. The problem is I don't really like Feral's flavor. I tried Arms warrior but my problem with it was i'd colossus smash...and then just hit the guy. It never really seemed to change and that got on my nerves a little, despite me loving the flavor. 

To summarize, what classes do you guys thing have the deepest pool of choices, the most you can wring out of them by practice and mastery of them. Whether that be through best rotation or maybe even a legendary or two that mix it up for them. Thanks in advance!