FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Hearthstone Mage Decks

Guest Guest

The Novice Engineer has been changed to a 1/1. Please reflect these changes in the card choice and strategy.

Guest Guest

Anon is right would be nice to see an updated version

Does it still say 1/1 anywhere?

Official patch notes from the Bnett launcher:

oHiLbni.jpg

Guest Guest

still not changed the novice engineer.. is it because it still applies in this deck ? because I feel it has little to no use now that it is a 1/1

Guest Devies

still not changed the novice engineer.. is it because it still applies in this deck ? because I feel it has little to no use now that it is a 1/1

I agree with you...it has a little to no walue at all.

Would like to see a replasement for that card smile.png

Guest Guest

Yeah, this is super outdated now. Blizzard and Pyroblast are pretty much not used ever post-nerfs, and the value of Counterspell has pretty well plummeted with aggro decks everywhere towards the top rungs of the ladder. You still see other types of decks, but in this metagame, it doesn't seem worthwhile to run it because it will be dead weight so often. Ice Block is usable, but I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say two copies are necessary for any competitive Mage deck.

Yeah, this is super outdated now. Blizzard and Pyroblast are pretty much not used ever post-nerfs, and the value of Counterspell has pretty well plummeted with aggro decks everywhere towards the top rungs of the ladder. You still see other types of decks, but in this metagame, it doesn't seem worthwhile to run it because it will be dead weight so often. Ice Block is usable, but I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say two copies are necessary for any competitive Mage deck.

Which deck are you talking about, in particular?

If there was a card that stopped being played post nerfs, it would be Frost Nova.  Blizzard lost value (too close to Flamestrike) but is still quite usable, especially for aggro that just needs an extra turn of hitting people.  Ice Block and Pyroblast are still important finishers, allowing you to transition from board control to "get them into pyro range" without fear of losing the game before you get there.  Drawing the second Ice Block also gives unparalleled finishing power, especially if you are first "killed" before your turn 9; recast Ice Block, throw in what damage you can via Fireball or the like, "die" again, finish with Pyroblast.  I do it all the time.

Mages aren't as powerful as they used to be, for sure, but the same strategies are still effective.

• Like 1

Guest Alessandro

i use a modified version of the legendary one, except for the fact i have no legendary cards in my deck and i can still win 5 before losing a game, i am climbing the ladder like a monkey.

Personally i don't see useful Alexstraza, requires 9 mana to bring your opponent down to 15 or yourself back up to 15. I can take my opponent down to 15 before the 9th turn, just by destroying his creatures with spells or with the doomsayer.

I also don't use the accolite and the loot hoarder, I prefer meccania auctioneer, can't be targeted by priests with their "destroy a creature with 3 or less attack" or "destroy a creature with 5 or more attack". So cast the auctioneer and frost nova to instantly draw a card and freeze everything or better, cast frost nova, cast doomsayer... next turn you cast the auctioneer with a total flat table.

I also don't use 2 ice block, just 1 iceblock and 1 ice barrier, you can use em together and ice barrier can be extremely useful against aggressive decks with charging creatures (see warrior decks).

Be aware of the fact that the Sorcerer's Apprentice can lower your spells mana cost by 1... allowing you to cast frostblot + ice lance + ice lance for a total of 11 damage with only 1 mana and than you can cast pyroblast for another 10 damage for 9 mana... so at 8th turn, frost nova + doomsayer, at 9th turn Sorcerer's Apprentice and wathever you want, maybe a mirror image to protect her, at 10th turn... 24 damage... and if your opponet at 10th is stil on more than 24 health... quit heartstone and go play call of duty please, this is not your game biggrin.png

i use the basic mage deck andi would like to know if i should switch any cards smile.png

You would be better off posting a question in that specific deck's thread, especially if you can tell us what non-Basic cards you have access to. :)

Guest TunnelBreeze

Why did they replace the old Mid Budget deck w/ the 2 pyroblasts it is really bringing me up the ranks

Why did they replace the old Mid Budget deck w/ the 2 pyroblasts it is really bringing me up the ranks

We make updates to our decks when we consider that the meta-game has changed sufficiently for the "old" deck to be less viable or competitive than the "new deck". We're working on having a history of all the old decks listed in the Changelog section, so that those who want to try an older deck can do so.

If the old deck is working well for you, then by all means keep playing it. Although trying the new one too might be a good idea :)

Guest Bruno

Is Pyroblast not a good card anymore? I see that you remove it from all the decks you suggest... 

Is Pyroblast not a good card anymore? I see that you remove it from all the decks you suggest... 

Hey, Bruno

Pyroblast is a sick card, however it comes down to the environment you play in and the current meta game is a bit too fast to allow you to run Pyroblasts in aggro mage decks.

Guest Guest

The Mage Crafting Guide calls Ice Block an essential card, whereas the actual page for Ice Block (and most other advice I've read) suggest it's a mediocre card. I'm guessing the guide is also outdated in many other respects, considering its timestamp is from January.

The Mage Crafting Guide calls Ice Block an essential card, whereas the actual page for Ice Block (and most other advice I've read) suggest it's a mediocre card. I'm guessing the guide is also outdated in many other respects, considering its timestamp is from January.

You are correct, the crafting guide refers to any mage deck type and we will correct it to specify the importance of Ice Block in control decks.

Ice Block may not be the best card in your hand in most of your matches, especially if you draw it early on when you could have a much better solution to the board situation. However, every control deck that uses any sort of Alexstrasza / Burn OTK combo will find Ice Block essential.

Thanks for pointing it out, it will be adjusted.

Guest epicSouldier

Using the Mid Cost Antonidas rush deck it did not work out for me with a lvl 32 mage so I decided to build a new one from scratch while keeping the strategy from the suggested deck. Fortunately it seems to work. Having beaten adversaries 10 times in a row while I was unable to achieve one single victory with other decks. I'd like to share the deck with you guys and also get in touch with you if you like on my personal website: www.sebastianportillo.com - let me know how that deck works for you?

2x Arcane Missiles

2x Ice Lane

2x Mirror Image

2x Frost Bolt

1x Bloodmage Thalnos

2x Loot Hoarder

2x Novice Engineer

2x Sorcerer's Apprentice

2x Arcane Intellect

2x Counterspell

2x Frostnova

1x Spellbender

2x Kirin Tor Mage

2x Water Elemental

2x Azure Drake

1x Gadgetzan Auctioneer

1x Archmage Antonidas

Strategy Overview:

You try to keep the board but not too aggressively. The imporant thing is to force your opponent to loose mana crystals and invest in removals while you'll keep drawing cards. This gives you a card advantage and will increase the chance that you draw antonidas. You'll alsow have plenty of freeze spells blocking your opponent. Try to remove the taunters first. As soon as possible you then bring a counterspell or a spellbender in to protect Antonidas when he comes into play. Also, make sure to have a cheep spell in hand to play it in the same turn as the archmage comes into play.

Guest Drimz

can i ask? im a newbie on this game. i have a gold, what should i do with my gold? how to get arcane dust, it say we must discard some card, is that true? or there are others way to get arcane dust? thanks before biggrin.png add me on game -Drimz- Asia player

The primary way to get dust is to disenchant spare cards yes, you can get dust occasionally from Arena rewards, but it's not a large amount.

If you enjoy playing Arena, you should use your Gold to enter the Arena, since this works out more efficiently than simply buying packs once you are able to get a few wins under your belt.

Hello,

Just wondering if Echo of Medivh has a place in this deck and what card you would possibly substitute in the deck for it?

Thank you in advance!

Sign in to follow this