Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravewave

Truth About The Eclipse Bar And Casting...?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I'm just looking for the truth about the balance bar and how it affects casts.

I've seen some places online (Icy Veins) where it's stated that the where you are at in the Eclipse Bar when you Finish  the cast is what determines the added damage. But Then I'll see in yet other places (youtube videos) where the guys are pulling great numbers and stating that the bonus damage is calculated from where you are in the EB when you start casting.

I'm just looking for some kind of source that will definitively tell me one way or the other.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

It's when you finish. 

source: wow has been around for 10 years and its always been like this..

It's when you finish. 

source: wow has been around for 10 years and its always been like this..

Well thank you for your confident post. I've played wow many years but never as a spellcaster. so I guess I was unaware in my inexperience.

Do you know of any actual source that I can consult to confirm this? Not saying you're wrong, but the best I can find are people's sweeping declarations..

well, he is right but as you wished you might wanna ask at druid forums at mmo-champion.com or battle.net/wow

well, he is right but as you wished you might wanna ask at druid forums at mmo-champion.com or battle.net/wow

How do you know he's right about the balance bar though? All I'm seeing are people saying this or that is right, but there's no sources cited or evidence referenced in either case.

I intend to post on mmo-champ or battle.net too.

Thanks,

There really isn't any 'source'.  There is nothing official about it and everywhere you go will always be from something unofficial.  

The best thing you can do is test it yourself.  Take off all your gear, get in combat  and try to land a starfire when you hit 100 energy and start casting when you hit 100 energy.  Thats how everyone else figures it out

the only way you're gonna get something 'official' is by tweeting at blues until the decide to answer you which i doubt they will answer that question.

Its like this for any buff in game, it captures the power from the moment it leaves your hands.

I know this is a really small case and you'll have to take my word for it but this is what I got

Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4423 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4325 Arcane.
---
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4407 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4357 Arcane.
--
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4472 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4292 Arcane.
--
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4504 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4227 Arcane.

The first one landed right as it peaked while the 2nd one started casting right before it started going down.  It doesn't look like much of a damage difference, but that because I had 0 gear on.  It makes much more of a difference with gear.

1 person likes this

I know this is a really small case and you'll have to take my word for it but this is what I got

Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4423 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4325 Arcane.
---
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4407 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4357 Arcane.
--
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4472 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4292 Arcane.
--
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4504 Arcane.
Your Starfire hit Dungeoneer's Training Dummy 4227 Arcane.

The first one landed right as it peaked while the 2nd one started casting right before it started going down.  It doesn't look like much of a damage difference, but that because I had 0 gear on.  It makes much more of a difference with gear.

Thanks for this.

I'd done some testing myself, but wasn't really taking it for granted quite yet as my sample size isn't huge.

Thanks for the dialogue about it, I really didn't have any idea that spells worked like that being that I've always played dps warrior/rogue till this xpac.

Why are the colors in the text reversed like that?

I did cycles of a couple minutes each. I put on the Stellar Flare talent, and casted Wrath and Starfire only. For the first, I cast the spell so that I began Wrath while the solar cycle was active, and began casting Starfire while the lunar cycle was active. For the second, I made all the spells land during their corresponding cycle, so that I was casting my first Wrath while still in the lunar cycle and first Starfire while still in the solar cycle.

Beginning-cast method: 1,200 dps

Ending-cast method: 1,150 dps

That's about a 4% difference in damage.

They are colored like that because I used the code tags on the forums, and the apostrophe did wonky things thinking they are strings.

Why are the colors in the text reversed like that?

I did cycles of a couple minutes each. I put on the Stellar Flare talent, and casted Wrath and Starfire only. For the first, I cast the spell so that I began Wrath while the solar cycle was active, and began casting Starfire while the lunar cycle was active. For the second, I made all the spells land during their corresponding cycle, so that I was casting my first Wrath while still in the lunar cycle and first Starfire while still in the solar cycle.

Beginning-cast method: 1,200 dps

Ending-cast method: 1,150 dps

That's about a 4% difference in damage.

Interesting, thanks for the input :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By VeeImperium
      Stormrage [A] - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic - FRI & MON - 9pm-12am EST
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Imperium, a progressive and well-respected raiding guild. Seeking like-minded individuals to join our team.  We provide good guild culture, consistent loot distribution, laid-back leadership, like-minded, courteous, kind, and polite people.
      Our team has been playing together for 8 years. We have always maintained a strong progressive raid team in 10 and 25 mans with a very minimal raid schedule. When considering new members, we seek individuals who have excellent communication skills, a high level of maturity, and a manner of adult professionalism.

Raid Info
      Friday & Monday 9:00pm - 12:00am EST
      Emerald Nightmare - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic

What to expect from us...
      - Raids that start and end on time.
      - A community of in-game support and socializing, Veteran players, 980+ Characters, 580+ Active Accounts, 650+ Level 100s.
      - Opportunity to be part of our weekly raid sales group
      - Fair and consistent leadership that only accepts quality players, and understands mistakes can happen.
      - A friendly and competitive dps environment, with frequent 95%+ parses
      - An opportunity to see all the content WoW has to offer.
      - Raid Consumables, and Enchantments provided.
      - Adult atmosphere, average age 25.
      - We DO NOT recruit for bench positions.

What we expect from you...
      - Desire to be part of a team. This includes being on Mumble and taking an interest in the guilds objectives, upholding its principles and helping to secure its longevity.
      - Great verbal communication during raid.
      - Good attitude and mutual respect towards fellow guild and raid team members.
      - High to perfect raid attendance.
      - Perseverance. Wiping is part of the game, and staying motivated and positive is a must.
      - Know your class and all of its abilities. Have a viable off spec for the team.
      - Be active and contribute to the guild forums.

Currently Recruiting:
      1 Melee DPS
      1 Ranged DPS
      1 Healer: Holy Priest, Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman
      Exceptional players are always considered.

Visit ImperiumGuild.ca to apply or to learn more about us.
      Vee#1811
      Mochi#11316
      Roxycodone#1543
      Nyyankees29#1435
      Skratchh#1194

• By Gidster
      Hey so I have starting Mythic progression and I just feel like I should be doing more DPS at my item level but I don't know if it is my Rotation or Stat priority.
      I'm looking at the logs and I feel like I should be doing more DPS in my current gear with is 874 with 22% Crit 29% Haste 46% Mastery 
    • By Narii625
      VISIT OUR WEBSITE!
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      LOOT STYLE
      Currently we are using the EPGP system (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP).
      The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      RAIDING SCHEDULE
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [6/7H] Trial of Valor, [2/3N] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. The Karazhan mega-dungeon is done on a weekly basis on Saturdays! We will help with attunement! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!

If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, Battle.net ID: Narii#1891
      www.bootypirates.guildlaunch.com

• By Lor
      Sindorei Council, a family-friendly and socially active guild has been active since 7/24/2007 (BC drop), currently 6/7 (H)EN.  Seeking DPS (notably ranged) for completion of Heroic and preparation to move on Nighthold.  
      We are not a hardcore progression guild - have never been and don't seek to create that atmosphere.  We are an incredibly welcoming social guild with a core raid component of very skilled players who have enough real-life going on that one night/week (occasionally 2) is what we push for.   We've reached 6/7 H-EN on one night/week. 
      Are you a good fit?  If you enjoy playing your class very well, are reliable to be on at the given time(s), yearn for a fun PG atmosphere in Gchat and Discord with mostly adults, and feel like one (occasionally 2) night per week is ideal for the time you want to put into raiding then we may be a good fit for you.  We help others get better and have more fun in guild, raiding or not ( be it through Questing, M+, WQ's, Roics, Pet Battles, etc.). We know our members' backstory and strive to make our guild a family.  Very active FB page and Discord.  
      Schedule:   Current main core raid night is Thursday from 7:30 EST - 10:30 EST (Bloodhoof Server time).  Sunday nights are an alternative night for us.
      Progress:  7/7 (N) EN, 5/7 (H) EN
      Loot:  All Personal - hand down to people who need 
      NEEDS: 
      - Warlock (any spec)
      - Boomkin
      - Hunter
      - Arms Warrior w/ Prot offspec (another skilled dps that is comfortable off spec as Tank works well also (Feral/Guardian, WW/BM, etc.)
      Interested?:
      BTAG: Lorienawk#1319 or Mango#1525.  
      Thanks and Happy Hunting!