Glycerine

When do I break from my Mastery/Multistrike stacked gear?

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I boosted a Blood DK and gathered this gear together in about a week and a half.  Now I'm helping my guild progress through HFC N. I don't think I need any gear from N, apart from a few things that might be better if they are WF. I am getting questions as to why I don't want any of the gear and I answer with, "Wrong stats." At which point should I start accepting the fact that not everything has M/M and equip gear with less than nominal stats in order to increase my ilvl?  Is there a Multistrike number I should reach and be "ok" with leaving it there when I do put on other stats.  Mr. Robot's advice on BiS had me losing tons of Multistrike and lots of Mastery.  Do I simply have the wrong idea about all of it?   Thank you for any help given.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Glycerine/simple

I've main tanked as Blood DK through Normal and Heroic HFC -- haven't touched the Mythics yet -- so I'll just give you my advice from those two tiers of content.

Essentially, what you have will carry you well into the Heroic tier of content if your guild is going that far. There are pieces in Heroic tier that will start to replace some of what you have based on item level alone. They'll be Mastery/Multistrike itemization, so they'll be no-brainer upgrades. If your guild is pretty much planning to top out in Normal mode, then you are more or less sitting on what you could consider to be BiS items, aside from your trinkets, neck, and 1 ring.

You should consider a few things moving forward:

1) See if you can get the hang of Breath of Sindragosa. With that much Multistrike odds are you'll be able to keep BoS up for a fairly significant amount of time, which when used properly can be both a hefty boost to your damage, as well as a significant defensive CD to use in encounters with heavy magic attacks, such as Xhul'horac. Once you get used to it, you can trivialize a lot of damage as well as dish out a lot of damage at the same time. If you feel like you really need Defile as a survival cool down, consider whether or not you are using Rune Tap or Anti-Magic Shell properly, or if you are not leaving yourself a Death Strike to throw out when your health starts to dip.

2) This plays into #1 as well, but replace your Glyph of Vampiric Blood with Glyph of Regenerative Magic. Having your Anti-Magic Shell available more often will be a bigger bonus to you moving forward than 10% extra healing from Vampiric Blood, particularly when that same glyph eliminates VB's boost to your health. But having more AMS availability will also help the aforementioned Breath of Sindragosa usage. Play your cards right and you potentially stand to get off 2-3 AMS's during a Breath, which will often refill your Runic Power bar to full.

3) If you have no interest in learning Breath of Sindragosa, that's fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea. One thing I would suggest is start trying to get your hands on some DPS trinkets. According to your Armory profile you're only just getting into the second tier of HFC, so you won't be seeing these right away, but I imagine it won't be too long. Items such as Discordant Chorus from Fel Lord Zakuun, Unending Hunger from Gorefiend, and later the Empty Drinking Horn from Mannoroth are what I mean specifically. At first glance using these trinkets will seem counter-intuitive, but your Blood Presence 15% damage bonus works on Empty Drinking Horn and Discordant Chorus, making them exceptionally nice boosts to your damage/threat.

If you want to mix and match these with something like Anzu's Cursed Plume until you and your raid are a bit more secure in their gearing that won't hurt anything. But at your gear level with that level of MS/Mastery, you should be close to the point where the only reason you are dying is if you make a mistake while tanking, or your raid is wiping already, so when opening shipyard treasure raid loot chests or those from timewalking dungeons or weekly mythic dungeon events, I'd recommend swapping your loot spec to Unholy or Frost in hopes of picking some of these up.

4) Don't worry about your set bonuses at all. At most, run the Shoulders and Chest for the 2 piece. In the grand scheme of things, the set bonuses are meh, and the set piece itemization is crap for Blood.

5) This will sound far more judging and/or preaching than I want it to, but I'd suggest you really start understanding the flow of the encounters you are tanking, as well as where certain defensive CDs fit into those fights. The proper use of a CD like Rune Tap can do more for you than 30 item levels of gear. You've got one of the most elaborate suites of abilities in the Blood DK, with more or less a trick for every eventuality that occurs. Once you really get a feel for things like timing Rune Taps/AMS/Death Strikes properly, the itemization of your gear will be more or less an afterthought. This is where DBM timers are a godsend, as they allow you time to prepare a defense for an upcoming attack. And with the abilities at your disposal, anything a boss throws at you you can pretty much negate with a proper CD + Death Strike.

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for your reply.  That is a huge help and more than I could have ever expected.  I am implementing the changes you suggested for testing.  Thank you. 

Happy to be of help, Glycerine. If you have any questions about anything listed above, or anything that comes up that isn't represented in the above never hesitate to ask. Here to help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cabony
      Our guild <Do it For Practice> is looking for a possible merge. We have been clearing content since release but hit a roadblock lately. We easily have the capacity to clear hard content, but we are just lacking a serious amount of players. This leads to other players leaving because of lack of players and the vicious cycle continues.
      The people in our guild are all extremely friendly and willing to help each other out. This is what kept our guild alive for this long, the base core is really strong. Having to pug players for mythic raids has just become a real big issue because it leads to a lot of time lost while all we want to do is just progress through hard content.
      Currently we are basically in need of a big amount of dps players, could make room for a tank and some healers if necessary.  The people we do have are all extremely geared. The average item level of our raiders is 880.
      The only way I see this problem solved is by simply merging with another guild that is experiencing the same kind of issues.
      We are an 18+ guild, most of us are 20+.
      We are open to many ideas, just talk to me about it.
      Prefer if you add me on real id, Matthijs #2267 or otherwise in-game, Cabony.
      Thank you for reading.
    • By Cabony
      Hello guys, Do it For Practice is recruiting on Stormscale EU, Horde side.
      We killed Nythendra, Ursoc and Elrethe on mythic and trials of valor heroic odyn and guarm.  Our next goals are the dragons and eye mythic.
      The current raiding days are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 7-11 server time. Besides normal raids we also have regular mythic+ groups going.
      The age requirement is 18+. Most of us are 20+ currently, I am 26 myself.
      We use the RC Lootcouncil addon for our loot distribution, so we can gear our players as well as possible and let the least amount of loot go to waste. We strive by the philosophy of making the entire guild stronger as a whole, not just some players. This is so we can have the strongest group possible to continue progressing trough mythic content.
      I am sure the players we currently have are more than capable of clearing most mythic content currently out. We just need some more players to help us in achieving our goals.
      We are currently looking for some dps in the form of, but not limited to: Shadow Priests, A Hunter,  WW Monk, Warlock or Warrior. Having more than one playable spec is extremely valuable here!
      Please be at least 865+ before you apply, we are past the point of progressing trough easy content. You need to be able to hold your own. However we do have a social rank, if your friends wish to join us as well!
      Interested?
      Add Matthijs#2267, IGN = Cabony
    • By maviebris
      Hey everyone. I'm worried that my time invested in BM is for not. However, with the changes coming to MM, my thoughts are that BM may still be a viable raiding spec. I enjoy BM because of its freedom of movement.  A dead hunter does no damage, and that my motto. With that being said, I want to be sure I'm maximising my damage output. I'm currently waiting on some drops, namely trinkets, which I've been incredibly unlucky with, but other than that, I'm geming for mastery, and enchanting agi where needed. Currently, in raids, with flasks and potions, I've been ranging in dps from about 265-310, depending on the fight.  Given my gear, I feel like I should be doing more. I'm unsure if I'm hitting a ceiling with BM, or if it is something I'm doing wrong. I've been following the standard rotation posted on icy-veins, and even under normalized conditions on training dummies (no flasks etc...), under 2-3 min rotations, I've been peaking at around 270k dps. Any thoughts on this?

Here is a link to my armory. 
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eldrethalas/Maviebris/simple

• By ChuckAlgren
      I hereby present you with the truth of the Bash Barbarian.                Email me any questions regarding D3, not my own snake or my GF's nudes.
                                                                                                                              On: danhibikisan@gmail.com           (For Gear details see video below)
      Yes, YOU can clear GR70 and more with a Bash Barbarian, 3 25+ gems and NO augments without too much of a hassle.
      "But I tried and I failed, HOW DID YOU DO IT?!"  You might ask.
      Well Timmy, this is it:
      Gear wise, the stuff you need, although in my video you will notice that I did not even have the best stuff YET, so it is not a big thing until later. Hence this is a good build considering the "lack" of good gear "needed" versus high GR clearance.
      I found that the most important thing is survival, because I solely play on Hardcore and yes, much like a boss.
      I have a GF, a job, studies, two snakes and a big interest in real instruments like the electric guitar or the piano, notice how I mentioned "real". Why is this important to notice? Not the instruments Timmy, but my other hobbies? (GF included)
      It is important because I do not have all the time in the world, I do not find any joy in "grinding" stuff out or doing "cookie-cutter" builds that everyone does because everyone does them.

TLDR: (Still quite long mind you[but packed with more info per word{this is how you use all these btw}])
      How: You need large packs of monsters *shocker*, preferably large monsters because they give more progress, the more "small" monsters you attract the longer you should wait to engage until you have found a sufficient amount of large monsters or non-flighty elites. This depends on your map-layout: if it has labyrinth-style layout simply run to next map asap and only stop if you encounter a clutter of elite packs; The type of monsters also the decision to train them or if skelesnores, discard them, if phantasm (where the f*** did my 10 elite pack go) and similar stuff.
      WHY: You will GIBB small monsters in groups, this is bad because it gives little progress and a lot of big leftovers, this is why you want the many small monsters in groups with as many big monsters/elites as you can find since Battle Rage: Bloodshed has the possibility of killing the tough guys almost as fast as a hundred spiderlings on one pixel.
      IF: The big guys/elites don't die in the first gathering of trained mobs, just keep training them, unless they are melting to your damage it is more effecient to keep stacking pack after pack until you can almost gibb those pesky porkchoppers, just be careful with effect-stacking elites like...

LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!LAZERS!

• By Maeglwn
      hello friends, first post here
      quick question regarding Grotesque Statuette for blood dk, just got it out of my il'gynoth class hall cache at 870. I understand that mastery is pretty terrible for blood and that the trinket just got nerfed/hotfixed as far as I'm aware, so I'm wondering if it's even worth using. seems like in my testing so far it only stacks to 3-4 at max on bosses and seemed very low for trash pulls.
      was using a memento of angerboda (855) before, so tanking wise its definitely the better trinket, but I'm not even sure if losing 1.3k strength is worth it.