FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Darkovan

Looking for some feedback on my logs - where can i improve? (frost)

Hi guys,

Im looking for some feedback on my logs, would like to improve my frost numbers.

anything from minor tweeks to major changes, all feedback welcome.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/12881308/latest/#bracket=16&compare=1

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/barthilas/Darkovan/simple

Edited by Darkovan

Hi guys,

Im looking for some feedback on my logs, would like to improve my frost numbers.

anything from minor tweeks to major changes, all feedback welcome.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/12881308/latest/#bracket=16&compare=1

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/barthilas/Darkovan/simple

Hey there!

First question, is it just personal preference that you chose to play Frost? I'm surprised, since so many people are running as UH atm.

You can see here that you capped out on Runic Power a few times. Make sure you keep an eye on that, you need to be spending it ASAP, otherwise it's just wasted. Those times where you use it immediately aren't that much of a problem, but the period of 19s where you are capped is worrying, same for the second period of 10s or so.

It's probably also impacting your DPS that your kills are taking a very long time. The rest of the group is very low on DPS, so that's then bringing your damage down.

With your gear you could easily go to UH for whats left of the expansion and use BoS and see an increase in dps once you get the rotation down. 

Its a fair bit different to Frost but thats expected.

There is no reason you couldnt rock on in Frost though and get some more dps out. 

For uber dps figures you need a group that is also doing uber dps as Uh will give you great burst dps and then it will start to wane over the duration of the fight. 

yeah boss im not going to lie here, you are sitting on 80 and 90th percentiles on mythic fights, not much we can help with there XD that's about as good as its going to get

This expansion is more about burst DPS than anything else. This is why unholy shines. If a fight lasts less than 3 minutes, unholy will be able to give you much higher damage numbers. Passed that, every class and spec somewhat get even.

I'd say frost is more of a constant source of DPS. Once you get the proper stats, you will be pretty much doing the same amount of damage whatever the fight's duration. You may have little bursts with ring, potions and all ... but those bust will not even come close to other specs in the same timeframe.

Edited by Daggnar

yeah boss im not going to lie here, you are sitting on 80 and 90th percentiles on mythic fights, not much we can help with there XD that's about as good as its going to get

Seems like the only real thing that'll get him higher will be tiny changes and a better group for faster times

Hi guys!

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me out! I appreciate the feedback.

I joined a new guild recently and DPS from the entire raid is a lot higher, I have been able to focus more on ring burst rather then sustained dps and am now logging 85-98% most fights now due to the reduced encounter duration's (different set of logs as warcraft logs thinks its a different toon after a server transfer).

I also found some significant improvements from these trinket swaps:

(was running Drinking Horn+Pebble for everything)

If its a demon: Drinking Horn+Grontooth warhorn
If its a demon with cleave: Discordant Chorus+grontooth warhorn
Not a demon: Drinking Horn+Rumbling Pebble/Unending Hunger
Not a demon with cleave: Drinking Horn+Discordant Chorus
Pure Cleave (trash/non-raid content/dungeons): Discordant Chorus+Unending Hunger or Rumbling Pebble.

I have tried to make the transition to unholy a few times but i feel like my breath damage is completely random, although i am able to maintain it to for 15-24seconds fairly reliably the damage is all over the place, sometimes massive and sometimes super weak. I am presuming that it has been because i don't have a Vial of Convulsive shadows for consistent multi-strikes during Breath.

Edited by Darkovan
Typo's

3 hours ago, Darkovan said:

Hi guys!

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me out! I appreciate the feedback.

I joined a new guild recently and DPS from the entire raid is a lot higher, I have been able to focus more on ring burst rather then sustained dps and am now logging 85-98% most fights now due to the reduced encounter duration's (different set of logs as warcraft logs thinks its a different toon after a server transfer).

I also found some significant improvements from these trinket swaps:

(was running Drinking Horn+Pebble for everything)

If its a demon: Drinking Horn+Grontooth warhorn
If its a demon with cleave: Discordant Chorus+grontooth warhorn
Not a demon: Drinking Horn+Rumbling Pebble/Unending Hunger
Not a demon with cleave: Drinking Horn+Discordant Chorus
Pure Cleave (trash/non-raid content/dungeons): Discordant Chorus+Unending Hunger or Rumbling Pebble.

I have tried to make the transition to unholy a few times but i feel like my breath damage is completely random, although i am able to maintain it to for 15-24seconds fairly reliably the damage is all over the place, sometimes massive and sometimes super weak. I am presuming that it has been because i don't have a Vial of Convulsive shadows for consistent multi-strikes during Breath.

Vial certainly helps but isn't 100% mandatory. It just comes down to technique and trinket choice. As long as BOS is perfectly lined up with ring it should do very well. Just takes awhile to get used to and good with.  Granted in a couple month frost dks have a nice almost perma bos build that is pretty easy XD

Took that on and spent 6hours today practicing unholy rotations on a target dummy...yep 6hours -- because it took me that long to pull off 10minutes worth of consecutive breaths without completely messing it up horribly.
(as in a 15sec opener with no pre-soak, just army, and then breath on cd 4more times in a row without it falling off short in ring duration).

My dps over 10min on the single target boss dummy in stormwind after i had managed a few 10min rotations that were not full of fail averaged at 75k - my frost dps over 10min was 71k.

I really just wanted to confirm for myself that you were wrong and that i did need a vial...but i was wrong. I did that with Drinking Horn and Unending Hunger. I'm actually kind of pissed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darkovan said:

Took that on and spent 6hours today practicing unholy rotations on a target dummy...yep 6hours -- because it took me that long to pull off 10minutes worth of consecutive breaths without completely messing it up horribly.
(as in a 15sec opener with no pre-soak, just army, and then breath on cd 4more times in a row without it falling off short in ring duration).

My dps over 10min on the single target boss dummy in stormwind after i had managed a few 10min rotations that were not full of fail averaged at 75k - my frost dps over 10min was 71k.

I really just wanted to confirm for myself that you were wrong and that i did need a vial...but i was wrong. I did that with Drinking Horn and Unending Hunger. I'm actually kind of pissed.

Vial isn't necessary by any means, it just happens to line up perfectly with the legendary ring and Breath cooldowns, so you end up stacking powerful buffs to super-charge your damage in that period.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 11:11 AM, Darkovan said:

On 5/30/2016 at 11:25 AM, Orthios said:

Vial isn't necessary by any means, it just happens to line up perfectly with the legendary ring and Breath cooldowns, so you end up stacking powerful buffs to super-charge your damage in that period.

^ This. There are actually a couple alternatives that work really well. Like lvl 6 skull of war is great on fights that are under 3 minutes and when you lust/ring at pull (ex. iron reaver, council)

New Logs as server transfer makes warcraft logs think its a different character:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/14320498/latest/#bracket=-1&compare=1

New Armory(old link isn't working, same reason as above:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Darkovan/advanced

Still haven't switched to unholy sorry, i just don't have the confidence in my ability to play it well enough to take it to a mythic raid.

Again, any and all feedback welcome.

Edited by Darkovan

Your logs look completely fine from my perspective, although you are using a few death strikes. rely on your healers and just remove it from your bars.
How do you improve from here? Irrelevant since prepatch inc, but anyway: Maximize your targets struck by howling blasts and defile, your defile seems a LITTLE bit low damage wise. Manage AMS runic absorbation as good as you can. Increase your damage input in 1st and 2nd ring pop. Your amounts of obliterates have changed from being too many to just about right. Less obliterates often equals more dps until you reach some kind of limit where you must use it to spend UH runes. If you've reached a certain level of play, your dps often relies on what strategies and what roles you are assigned to, as well as what dps your raid group can output. an AoE comp will make your dps lower than normal on iskar for example.
Here are my logs if you want to compare to someone ranked higher. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/13062293/latest/

• Like 1

Thanks Basiun

I appreciate the feedback :)

I have been working on my ams use-age over the last 2 weeks as i did notice in comparable logs that my howling blasts/blood tap charges and frost strikes were lower over similar time frames. Its improved my dps where applicable but im still working on it.