FORUMS
Damien

[Archived] Fire Mage 5.4

Guest Askiroth

I was looking at the Talent tree suggestions and noticed that the Tier 6 recomendation is for Invocation. Perhaps it's just me but I almost never use Evocation (mana usage doesn't seem to be a problem) and I thought the passive affects of Incanter's Ward might give it an edge. Any thoughts on this?

Askiroth

I was looking at the Talent tree suggestions and noticed that the Tier 6 recomendation is for Invocation. Perhaps it's just me but I almost never use Evocation (mana usage doesn't seem to be a problem) and I thought the passive affects of Incanter's Ward might give it an edge. Any thoughts on this?

Askiroth

Incanter's ward and Invocation are not for mana usage mostly, but the 15% increased damage they provide. However, Incanter's ward cannot be consumed for sure everytime, so most of the times you cannot have ~100% uptime of the buff it grants, however with Invocation it is very.. very easy.

Guest Skinnyjeanns

Hi, so my mage seems to be having trouble keeping up with other mages dps wise. I have reason to believe i'm doing everything right but I feel like i'm not doing something right, which is proven by dps meters. I feel like my combustions aren't strong enough and i'm not getting enough pyro procs as I would like to @ 50% self buffed. I capped my haste @ 4k and reforged rest into mastery. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Here's stats self buffed
I was told that @ 4k haste is enough and to reforge into mastery. My ilvl is 542 and I am an undead mage. 
Hit: 15.14%
Haste: 9.39% (3991)
Crit: 50.07 w/flask & food (18,303)
Mastery: 25.18% (5271)

Any tips on helping would be greatly appreciated from anyone. I even use the Macro's with altertime and such. The problem I have is that I cast about 4 natural pyros and a PoM pyro that resets my ignite tick and screws up the potential high combustion. 

Again, I feel so lost with it and would love to improve my dps. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Skinnyjeanns/advanced

Hi, so my mage seems to be having trouble keeping up with other mages dps wise. I have reason to believe i'm doing everything right but I feel like i'm not doing something right, which is proven by dps meters. I feel like my combustions aren't strong enough and i'm not getting enough pyro procs as I would like to @ 50% self buffed. I capped my haste @ 4k and reforged rest into mastery. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Here's stats self buffed

I was told that @ 4k haste is enough and to reforge into mastery. My ilvl is 542 and I am an undead mage. 

Hit: 15.14%

Haste: 9.39% (3991)

Crit: 50.07 w/flask & food (18,303)

Mastery: 25.18% (5271)

Any tips on helping would be greatly appreciated from anyone. I even use the Macro's with altertime and such. The problem I have is that I cast about 4 natural pyros and a PoM pyro that resets my ignite tick and screws up the potential high combustion. 

Again, I feel so lost with it and would love to improve my dps. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Skinnyjeanns/advanced

Hello,

First of all, please post this into the Mage section of the forum.

Secondly, please provide us with a World of Logs link, because without that we cannot really help you.

Thirdly, if you, yourself see what causes the problem.. Then you basically just answered to yourself instead of us.. :D

I haven't played Fire in a while. Some questions:

1. How would you time when to use Combustion?

a. Right after a Pyroblast! crit

b. Right after a PoM crit

c. Pyroblast! (non-crit)

d. Fireball Crit + PoM Pyroblast 

2. If you have Pyroblast! and PoM (Alter TIme instance), does it consume the Pyroblast! before PoM?

3. When Time Warp/Bloodlust is active, can I cast Combustion right after a Pyroblast even if I don't get a Pyroblast! crit? (Just a case of waiting for the condition rather than using Combustion when it comes off cooldown).

4. Would you say, that a player that is used to playing Fire and Frost, that the Fire spec should only be used when you gain enough Crit gear, say if you have more than 15% Crit (since Brain Freeze procs on 15%)?

Guest WeeWilly

and you wonder why I stay as "Frost".... there is too much thinking involved for fire or arcane  :P

My question 4 was derived from the following logic: (this is where I would like to know if this is incorrect)

The majority of Frost's dps relies on Fingers of Frost (15% on Frostbolt+Frostfire Bolt, gave the incorrect buff in my previous post) and Brain Freeze (Mage Bomb), and Fire's dps relies on Pyroblast!(Crit chance).

Frost has 2 proc systems (FoF & BF), which only scales with Haste (number of casts/ticks per second) since FoF has a solid proc chance of 15%.

Fire only has 1 Proc system (Pyroblast!) which can scale with Haste and Crit.

When you gain gear which allows you to gain more Pyroblast! than of FoF procs, then switching to Fire would be the best choice since you will gain more procs.

Your opinion?

My question 4 was derived from the following logic: (this is where I would like to know if this is incorrect)

The majority of Frost's dps relies on Fingers of Frost (15% on Frostbolt+Frostfire Bolt, gave the incorrect buff in my previous post) and Brain Freeze (Mage Bomb), and Fire's dps relies on Pyroblast!(Crit chance).

Frost has 2 proc systems (FoF & BF), which only scales with Haste (number of casts/ticks per second) since FoF has a solid proc chance of 15%.

Fire only has 1 Proc system (Pyroblast!) which can scale with Haste and Crit.

When you gain gear which allows you to gain more Pyroblast! than of FoF procs, then switching to Fire would be the best choice since you will gain more procs.

Your opinion?

The proc system is not this simple. Frost DPS also scale with mastery (thanks to icicle) along with haste as well. (and crit until 28%)

Fire is mostly only affected by crit. This is why fire mages stup at lower haste breakpoint, than frost.

My opinion is that I cannot see any situations where you HAVE TO switch to fire. If you saw Akraen's topic about frost-fire dps comparison you can see that the best players with the best possible gears play both frost and fire and the DPS difference is minimal.

Guest matt

Is molten armor beter than frost armor when I am at 39% crit without molten armor

Guest Xenophon

I am wondering why many top dps fire mages at wowprogress.com tend to rate mastery > haste with item lvl 577+, according to their reforging.

I this something you would bear into mind?

They might be running a fire-arcane, or fire-mastery stack frost build. :)

Also, they might just be experiencing with different reforges, this is what top players usually do.

Guest jd

can any one help me with maybe tips on my mage im a 560 but I just got into pve ive always been a pvp player and now im using fire spec pulling roughly 180k solid but I feel I should be doin more?

can any one help me with maybe tips on my mage im a 560 but I just got into pve ive always been a pvp player and now im using fire spec pulling roughly 180k solid but I feel I should be doin more?

It's best to ask for help in the mage section. This thread is for discussing the guide itself smile.png

• Like 1